HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Hockey glove fit?

Old
03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue86 View Post
are you serious about the RS glove?

i don't know, just judging by the pics the gloves look horrible to me

looks like the manufacturer is trying too hard to make the glove cool looking, same as with the whole rs line

who knows, maybe it has an amazing feel but judging by reviews of easton gloves in general, they don't stack up to bauer
From what I've heard, the fit profile and comfort on those guys are amazing. One aspect that I really like are the way the finger segments and how the padding on the index are placed to prevent torquing.

I'll let you know when we get them in.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:35 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...5-eagle-talon/

Stickler? It seems that I have a reputation...cool!

Stickmata, I hope you're as excited as I am for the new RS glove line...I need to replace these Eagles!
Haha, you rep follows you. I did not realize that the review was over on ModSquad.

On the review, well done and you have convinced me to not give these a shot unless I could get them on some sort of close out.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 12:37 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We can do reviews here as well, would be great to see. I think there's an "equipment review" prefix that could help to organize them (click on it and you get all equipment reviews).
Good idea, I think with all the new players in here some of us more experienced guys (and I use that term very loosely when referring to myself) could probably help them out with some good reviews.

Old
03-29-2012, 02:59 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
The RS line is certainly eye-catching being black, but it looks decent. Some of the better protective I checked out yesterday.
I'm a fan of the RS shins. Still waiting to see on durability, but they're light and protective.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
obviously im a complete noob, but what you just described is exactly how id describe my X:40's
I've got a pair of the Vapors at home, cant remember which model. They were better than most, but still not quite what I'm looking for. Then I tried on an EQ30 in a local store and loved them. Only glove I've put on that feels very similar to the S17. Unfortunately, the only pair they had in my size was in a wacky color. One of these days I'll just order a pair.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I've got a pair of the Vapors at home, cant remember which model. They were better than most, but still not quite what I'm looking for. Then I tried on an EQ30 in a local store and loved them. Only glove I've put on that feels very similar to the S17. Unfortunately, the only pair they had in my size was in a wacky color. One of these days I'll just order a pair.
oh ok. well if you see the x40s in the store give em a try . i paid 118 after taxes for them, but when everything in the game stems from your wrists its worth it i think.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

FWIW I didn't really like the floating cuff of the X:40 and X:60. Seemed like it sat too close to the wrists, even though you can still move it, just bugged me. Like the solid cuff of the X:60 Pro and X:30, although the 30 lacks inserts. X:40 is an excellent glove though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:18 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
FWIW I didn't really like the floating cuff of the X:40 and X:60. Seemed like it sat too close to the wrists, even though you can still move it, just bugged me. Like the solid cuff of the X:60 Pro and X:30, although the 30 lacks inserts. X:40 is an excellent glove though.
Yeah that's a good point. A buddy on my squad has the regular X60 and I am not a fan of that cuff either, or all the crap on the palms for that matter. The X60 pro is the way to go.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
vapor11

On the subject of wrist mobility..I have a pair of Easton s11s..I love them but one thing I noticed..

I don't know if all the pairs are like this but you can see the difference in the way the flap on the wrist is stitched ..I cannot notice it while I am playing but if I sit here and flex them I can notice the flap on my left glove rubbing my wrist where as the right one can flex freely with the flap stitched on the outside...They still provide great mobility but you would think that would have been noticed by somebody during the manufacturing process

Last edited by vapor11: 03-30-2012 at 07:12 PM.
vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Can you just pull the other one out? I've had gloves like that in the past where you can kind of muck with the cuffs a bit. Or have a seamstress or shoe repair place alter it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:12 PM
vapor11

Obviously I tried pulling it out hah..The way it is stitched I can't..I am curious if they are all like that

Old
03-30-2012, 09:32 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
On the subject of wrist mobility..I have a pair of Easton s11s..I love them but one thing I noticed..
I loved the S11's as well but the pair I had didn't last. Wore out the thumb in 3 months.

Old
03-31-2012, 01:21 AM
vapor11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I loved the S11's as well but the pair I had didn't last. Wore out the thumb in 3 months.
I noticed after a few weeks I had a bit of wear and tare/black on my left glove on the inside of the fingers(top hand on stick) but I have had them for almost a year now and they are still holding up pretty well..

Was your pair like mine with the tab on the outside/inside?

Old
03-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel View Post
I noticed after a few weeks I had a bit of wear and tare/black on my left glove on the inside of the fingers(top hand on stick) but I have had them for almost a year now and they are still holding up pretty well..

Was your pair like mine with the tab on the outside/inside?
Can't recall. I'll see if they're still out in the garage somewhere and let you know if I find them.

Old
03-31-2012, 07:10 PM
r3cc0s

my favorite gloves for anatomical were the Bauer XXXX pro and the S17
but I never bought the S17's
other than that... not a huge fan, but my Bauer's I wanted more room, so I cut out the liner, and I put kangaroo leather for the gussets/palms

since... I've worn the palms again, and are so stinky I can't bear weaing them and I can't get the smell out (regardless with the sports clean machine, boiling water, sprays/powder)

I'm still a 4 roll man for the most part and love my TPS R8's, my RBK 1052 tack pros, and most especially are my worn in 9950 pro stock, which have the sweetest and thinest clarino palms

I love room, no cuff bind and basically want palms that when wet, get tacky, don't feel like they're there at all
the only ones i've found that do that well, are high quality thin clarino's and full digital palms

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
craighockey

Need help with glove/wrsit incident

I was playing or about to play inline hockey a week ago and as the game started I lost my balance after I passed the puck and landed full force on my right wrist. I was wearing my Mission hockey gloves which I feel might have contributed to the wrist fracture. It's not the brand that I'm blaming, it's the lack of actual wrist support the glove had and the over sized finger design that hockey gloves have. I felt almost as if my hand was rolling inside the glove as I landed on it. The glove to my knowledge fits right. I can stick handle and catch the puck fine with the glove, but what I want to know is how to avoid this in the future if I'm ever allowed to play again. Do players tape their wrists every game? Is there a better wrist guard solution? I'm really bummed out that I spent all this money on a sport I'm good at and some freak accident ends my season in one day. Any suggestions for wrist support would be uplifting. P.S. I already know not falling is one solution.

craighockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:29 PM
hockeymass

Quote:
Originally Posted by craighockey View Post
I was playing or about to play inline hockey a week ago and as the game started I lost my balance after I passed the puck and landed full force on my right wrist. I was wearing my Mission hockey gloves which I feel might have contributed to the wrist fracture. It's not the brand that I'm blaming, it's the lack of actual wrist support the glove had and the over sized finger design that hockey gloves have. I felt almost as if my hand was rolling inside the glove as I landed on it. The glove to my knowledge fits right. I can stick handle and catch the puck fine with the glove, but what I want to know is how to avoid this in the future if I'm ever allowed to play again. Do players tape their wrists every game? Is there a better wrist guard solution? I'm really bummed out that I spent all this money on a sport I'm good at and some freak accident ends my season in one day. Any suggestions for wrist support would be uplifting. P.S. I already know not falling is one solution.
It doesn't really matter what glove you wear or what you wrap your wrists in, if you fall hard on your hands there's a chance you'll fracture something.

You could get some rigid or tight slashguards that might help support your wrists, but the best thing to do is just not break your fall with your hands, I guess.

hockeymass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
craighockey

I was just checking out how to tape your wrists for sports. Guess I should use my tape for the original purpose before the stick.

Old
05-07-2012, 03:54 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
fractures are only one possible wrist injury, and really not even the most severe. a glove protects against impact with hard objects. unless your wrist actually slammed against the floor, your injury has nothing to do with the fit of the glove. it might have something to do with the padding on the glove being insufficient for that particular fall. i think that's unlikely.

people wrap their wrists to prevent flexion/extension injuries. the wrap reinforces the ligaments wrapping your wrist joint, which prevent your wrist from bending too far in all directions. if you fall in a way that causes the wrist to bend too far, a wrap can save your ligaments from tearing and in some cases will save your wrist. the wrap is far more effective that a fitted glove would be.

i obviously can't tell what kind of injury took place in your fall, but if you think you bent your wrist during the fall, then wrist wraps would be appropriate at least until you feel 100%. fwiw, i started wearing wrist wraps every time once my wrist got bent by a fall against the boards. every once in a while during stick-n-puck i won't tape them, but always during games, on an off-chance that i take another spill.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Happy Fan
one big happy family

My supreme one90's have held up for 3-4 years now and the palm is still in great shape, I don't see myself getting another pair for another few years unless I need Canadian colours.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
craighockey

Well the results are in. My wrist is broken.

Old
05-10-2012, 03:27 PM
neksys

Quote:
Well the results are in. My wrist is broken.
Sorry to hear that, I know wrists can be a real pain to heal.

With your original question though, I'm not sure there are any gloves that could have prevented this injury. The better solution - but much easier said than done - is to avoid throwing your hands out like that when you fall.

Trust your elbow pads to absorb the impact. They won't hyperextend.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:43 PM
craighockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeymass View Post
It doesn't really matter what glove you wear or what you wrap your wrists in, if you fall hard on your hands there's a chance you'll fracture something.

You could get some rigid or tight slashguards that might help support your wrists, but the best thing to do is just not break your fall with your hands, I guess.
Thanks everyone. Surgery is tomorrow. Wish me luck. Rangers vs Devils tonight! Woo hoo