HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

John Tortorella and the Rangers youth

Old
03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
That was the same **** said about Coughlin... It wasn't the fact that people were wrong about him being a bad coach, it's just that he changed into a good coach.

Complete ********* and I'm not even a Giants fan.

Coughlin was always a good coach, and so was Torts. That's why those guys win and get their teams to perform above their head.
Here here and bravo! If a coach drives players to overachieve, preaches accountability and wins, then who really cares if he's grumpy and not always politically correct?
Just win baby!

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

I never said he was a bad coach.

I was speaking about his behavior, not how good/bad he is as a coach.

And I liked that we got a new coach. Never was off of the bandwagon.

And that's not to say that I didn't like his fire in the first few season here; I loved it.

I just see a difference in his demeanor now compared to a few years ago.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Torts himself acknowledged he changed his approach. If you were on board from day one, congrats. But don't make this out to be something that just being made up by his detractors.

FWIW, I read very few comments arguing that he wasn't a good coach. Most were along the lines of him not being a good coach for THIS team.

The other part of it was that he seemed like a jackass. He still does, though somewhat less so. 24/7 caused a lot of people to warm to him, and of course winning quells all complaints.
Change is different from develop. Change is a departure from the past. Development is retaining the same core idea and applying with respect to as new information as it presents itself. Development should always be happening. Change should not. He came in with a struggling team he knew very little about. Since then he's developed the team to fit with a winning philosophy he's been developing to better suit the group. Hard work, accountability, and no bs in any form have all been and still are his guiding principles. Has he changed as a coach? Absolutely not. 53 year old, Stanley cup winning coaches don't change. Nor should they.

Kel Varnsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I never said he was a bad coach.

I was speaking about his behavior, not how good/bad he is as a coach.

And I liked that we got a new coach. Never was off of the bandwagon.
His behavior has to be looked at within the context it occurred in. When you're struggling you're not going to behave the way you would when you're winning. It wouldn't be right to. He was coaching a team that was a bubble playoff team before, now he's coaching a team that's fighting for the best record in the NHL. Obviously the behavior isn't exactly the same. It would be wrong to conclude that that means the person has fundamentally changed in some way.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:55 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Yep.

Extremely standoff-ish, confrontational and somewhat out of control in his first 2 season here (2008-2009 and 2009-2010).

Last year, he seemed to have gone through a transformation.
Coughlinesque was the term thrown around all during last season.

They always say start strong and you can soften later not the other way around (Boudreau)

Quote:
Torts seems to have evolved as a coach as the team itself has evolved. He's a good fit. I was opposed to his hiring from day one, but he looks like he may prove me dead wrong.
He has proven you dead wrong. A good coaching tenure does not have to include a cup win. That said his original trajectory was well on the way to prove you right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
That was the same **** said about Coughlin... It wasn't the fact that people were wrong about him being a bad coach, it's just that he changed into a good coach.
Complete ********* and I'm not even a Giants fan.

Coughlin was always a good coach, and so was Torts. That's why those guys win and get their teams to perform above their head.
A lot of people said that it wasn't him being a bad coach it was his approach to players that needed fixing which both he and torts are reported to have changed. Knowing how to handle players is part of being a good-great coach. Coughlin went from being good to great imo...prob HOF level.
Don't forget he coached up Tiki wonderfully and Tiki got fed up with militaristic Tom. Tiki also happenned to turn out to be a total a-hole too but he was sharing the sentiments of that locker room. Luckily for the Giants I remember how hurt Coughlin seemed to be when he recieved that news that Tiki blasted him and he had a sit down with Strahan and changed. if I recall correctly one of the big things he did was provide greater autonomy to the players. We sawo on 24/7 Torts CLEARLY trusts and allows his guys autonomy. Off season conditioning run by capt cally. players deiciding when to meet for buses/practice, announcing the lineup.

Torts the way he's going with this team who knows since I'd be completely shocked if we don't continue to repeat our success for the next 3 or so years. The team could tank to dead last next year and i'd still be willing to give Torts another year.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 03-30-2012 at 03:04 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
He's more calm and collected now than he was even during the good times in Tampa. If you disagree that's fine, it's just what I see.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:07 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
He's more calm and collected now than he was even during the good times in Tampa. If you disagree that's fine, it's just what I see.
I think this is definitely true he is way more calm and even in temperament. I think he realized he was hypocritical in the way he flew off the handle with frequency. Though i doubt his players did anymore than enjoy it and appreciate their coaches passion.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Richards even said he was more calm in his approach than he used to be, and Richards was with Torts when he won in Tampa. If anyone can judge that type of change it would be him.

I'm not buying that there's been no change in his demeanor, or that if there is it's simply because of winning. There has been a change. People change all the time, even later in life and regardless of success. My father was extremely successful in his field and was always a firecracker. In his late fifties he started to mellow, to the point that we now call him Phil 2.0. It was for no reason other than life experience. Why is it inconceivable that this has taken place with Tortorella?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:20 PM
eco's bones

Torts has grown with this team. A couple years back he was doing stuff that wasn't really necessary like getting in those idiotic battles with Larry Brooks. In the interim we've gone from a more veteran team to a younger team and I think that has helped get Tortorella's focus back where it belongs. He now has a team that he likes--that will go through a wall for him. Moving Wolski and Christensen out came down to getting rid of our final two passengers. I can't say there is a single player on the current team that I don't like. That is really something. Doesn't mean that I don't expect some changeover or some upgrades in the off season though.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

There are still times where Torts acts like a jerk with the media. He meets the media at 4:50 before every game. He doesn't really want to answer their questions. Sometimes he gives Yes and No answers. Torts is more open when he is talking with Michael Kay of all people. Even when he talks with Sam Rosen in the pre-game there seems to be an edge to Torts.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Richards even said he was more calm in his approach than he used to be, and Richards was with Torts when he won in Tampa. If anyone can judge that type of change it would be him.

I'm not buying that there's been no change in his demeanor, or that if there is it's simply because of winning. There has been a change. People change all the time, even later in life and regardless of success. My father was extremely successful in his field and was always a firecracker. In his late fifties he started to mellow, to the point that we now call him Phil 2.0. It was for no reason other than life experience. Why is it inconceivable that this has taken place with Tortorella?
Richards knows better than any of us so I'm not going to argue the point. I don't doubt he's more calm than he has been in the past or he was in Tampa.

My contention is the line of thinking that his calmer demeanor is a cause for the team's performance. Generally speaking, I think it's the opposite.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Change is different from develop. Change is a departure from the past. Development is retaining the same core idea and applying with respect to as new information as it presents itself. Development should always be happening. Change should not. He came in with a struggling team he knew very little about. Since then he's developed the team to fit with a winning philosophy he's been developing to better suit the group. Hard work, accountability, and no bs in any form have all been and still are his guiding principles. Has he changed as a coach? Absolutely not. 53 year old, Stanley cup winning coaches don't change. Nor should they.
Whether coaches should change or not I won't get into, but it is plain as day that not only has Tortorella changed, he has changed on numerous fronts. Whether it is the way he deals with the media, his handling of certain types of player personalities, to his actual on-ice coaching methods and style, particularly from his days since winning the Stanley Cup. Tortorella, to his own admission, has revaluated the manner in which he speaks to the press. Through the events of this season, you can see that he has tried to improve on one of his biggest faults as a coach, his plain old inability to utilize potentially useful players that don't play his way (see Drury, Zherdev, Avery). Otherwise, the likes of Stralman and Zuccarello would never have gotten ice time at all. He's also drastically altered his coaching philosophy in regards to offensive and defensive pressure.

And before you start criticizing other posters for something, recognize and understand what their argument was. Most people here who were not huge fans of the Tortorella hiring initially were not claiming that Tortorella was a bad coach, simply that he was not the right coach for the team as it was constructed at the time. You're right about one thing (just about the only thing): Hard work, accountability, and no bs have and still been at the core of his principles. And what have we learned about those principles? They resulted in diddly squat when the team was low on talent.

He's done a nice job developing some of this team's young players, particularly Del Zotto. What he has done with him is truly great coaching. He seems to have had a nice impact on Girardi, as well But the fact is, there wasn't all that much developing that players like Stepan, McDonagh, or Hagelin had to do. They were far better prepared to play in the NHL than the vast majority of prospects. All three are very, very intelligent players. At the same time, Tortorella has been unable to calibrate Brandon Dubinsky, who is still plagued by the same issues he was before Tortorella got here. That's no more Tortorella's "fault" than Steps, McD, or Hags are his "doing."

Tortorella wasn't the right coach for the Rangers when he was hired, and the results showed it. He preached the same stuff he preaches now, and it got the team right where it had been before him: mediocrity. The success came once the influx of skill, talent, and hockey sense came, in the form of the three aforementioned young players and Brad Richards. This team's strengths are team defense and goaltending. Have you forgotten that those were the team's strengths even before Tortorella got here? The difference between the Rangers today and the Rangers of Tom Renney days is simple: this team actually has some offensive talent, depth, and an absolute all-around stud in Callahan. Renney's teams had no depth and were woefully lacking in offensive ability. That was true of the team when Tortorella took over, and not surprisingly, the results were exactly as they had been under Renney (or, even worse).

I'm more than satisfied with Tortorella and the job he is doing now. He is the right fit for a contending team, and he has helped make this a contending team. But this team would have kept right on plugging along on the bubble, hard work, accountability, no BS, and all if Brad Richards doesn't sign on the line which is dotted last summer.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:06 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Let's revisit this article after each round of the postseason, regardless of the Rangers participating in that round or not.

I like Torts over Renney. That's about it. I think every referee in the league hates him for his antics behind the bench and how he talks to them, and I pray to God it doesnt cost us in the playoffs.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:24 PM
Baby Punisher

I'm happy Torts is here, I wanted him as coach for a long time. I'll admit I to have been on the I hate Torts, I love Torts See saw. He has gotten the desired results & the team plays for him.

I do worry about how long the team will continue to listen to him moving forward as the years progress.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
His behavior has to be looked at within the context it occurred in. When you're struggling you're not going to behave the way you would when you're winning. It wouldn't be right to. He was coaching a team that was a bubble playoff team before, now he's coaching a team that's fighting for the best record in the NHL. Obviously the behavior isn't exactly the same. It would be wrong to conclude that that means the person has fundamentally changed in some way.
Last year we barely made the playoffs and his attitude (at least in my opinion) was improved.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:20 PM
eco's bones

The longer a coach and his management team is around the closer and closer they should get to bringing the kind of team they want together. Decide on guys you want to keep--decide on guys you don't or aren't sure about.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Noonan25

I still hate torts love affair with certain players

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Whether coaches should change or not I won't get into, but it is plain as day that not only has Tortorella changed, he has changed on numerous fronts. Whether it is the way he deals with the media, his handling of certain types of player personalities, to his actual on-ice coaching methods and style, particularly from his days since winning the Stanley Cup. Tortorella, to his own admission, has revaluated the manner in which he speaks to the press. Through the events of this season, you can see that he has tried to improve on one of his biggest faults as a coach, his plain old inability to utilize potentially useful players that don't play his way (see Drury, Zherdev, Avery). Otherwise, the likes of Stralman and Zuccarello would never have gotten ice time at all. He's also drastically altered his coaching philosophy in regards to offensive and defensive pressure.
Dealing with the media isn't coaching. We've all been talking about his time with the Rangers, not tampa all your talk on that is a digression. Drury doesn't play Torts way? No, Drury just became a shell of his former self very quickly and became an ineffective hockey player. Stralman has never seen limited ice time or health scratches? Wrong again sir. Same thing goes for MZA. You being wrong about him and Torts. Torts has just gotten those guys to play Torts style hockey, when he plays them. You think Stralman is the same guy he was in Columbus or Toronto? Then you once again are wrong. When you start getting into talks of specific strategy you start to venture away from change and into development. Torts hockey is playing hard, and accountability. How that manifests itself depends on the way the team is built. Obviously you're not going to play the same style of hockey when your O is weak and you have Hank back there as compared to the days in Tampa with a strong O and at times shaky goalies.

Quote:
And before you start criticizing other posters for something, recognize and understand what their argument was. Most people here who were not huge fans of the Tortorella hiring initially were not claiming that Tortorella was a bad coach, simply that he was not the right coach for the team as it was constructed at the time. You're right about one thing (just about the only thing): Hard work, accountability, and no bs have and still been at the core of his principles. And what have we learned about those principles? They resulted in diddly squat when the team was low on talent.
It sounds like you're Ricky Bobby here, "If you're not first, you're last." Well, that's just not true. You can be second, or third, or fourth, hell you can even be fifth! The beginning of this section is wrong in a couple of places (no surprise). First, many from the "Torts has changed" camp don't think he is the guy we hired. Hence the he's changed part of that title there. And with us sitting atop the east (and basically the NHL) right now, it's obvious Torts was good for the process and so the detractors were wrong to not want him here back then. Past is prologue.

Quote:
He's done a nice job developing some of this team's young players, particularly Del Zotto. What he has done with him is truly great coaching. He seems to have had a nice impact on Girardi, as well But the fact is, there wasn't all that much developing that players like Stepan, McDonagh, or Hagelin had to do. They were far better prepared to play in the NHL than the vast majority of prospects. All three are very, very intelligent players. At the same time, Tortorella has been unable to calibrate Brandon Dubinsky, who is still plagued by the same issues he was before Tortorella got here. That's no more Tortorella's "fault" than Steps, McD, or Hags are his "doing."
You haven't noticed development with McD? That's insane. As for his impact on the other two, it's impossible to know exactly where they would be without Torts. You definitely can't use them against him. Which leads me to Dubi. Again, where were you last year? Dubi was huge for us, and did everything for us. He was our most important forward. He played in all the biggest situations, PP, PK, late in games. No forward played more on the PP or the PK than Dubi. He scored the most goals, assists and pts on the team. Hell, he even took faceoffs while playing the wing (which Torts moved him to). Has he fallen back this year? Of course. Torts impact on his career will be determined over the next few years (assuming both are still here).

Quote:
Tortorella wasn't the right coach for the Rangers when he was hired, and the results showed it. He preached the same stuff he preaches now, and it got the team right where it had been before him: mediocrity. The success came once the influx of skill, talent, and hockey sense came, in the form of the three aforementioned young players and Brad Richards. This team's strengths are team defense and goaltending. Have you forgotten that those were the team's strengths even before Tortorella got here? The difference between the Rangers today and the Rangers of Tom Renney days is simple: this team actually has some offensive talent, depth, and an absolute all-around stud in Callahan. Renney's teams had no depth and were woefully lacking in offensive ability. That was true of the team when Tortorella took over, and not surprisingly, the results were exactly as they had been under Renney (or, even worse).
Again, past is prologue. Years don't happen in a vacuum. Without the groundwork from previous years this year wouldn't have happened the way it did. I'm not going to continue your lead here of thread hijacking to re-litigate the Renney years, but I will say the players choice for MVP Jaromir Jagr was pretty good. This argument from you seems to be more of a "coaches don't matter" argument than a "torts has changed" argument. Which again, is off topic so I'll leave it at that.

Quote:
I'm more than satisfied with Tortorella and the job he is doing now. He is the right fit for a contending team, and he has helped make this a contending team. But this team would have kept right on plugging along on the bubble, hard work, accountability, no BS, and all if Brad Richards doesn't sign on the line which is dotted last summer.
Again, what does this have to do with Torts and the way he's handled the youth? People thought of him as a caricature, and they were wrong to do so. And you seem to contradict yourself anyway by saying torts is doing a good job now and is the right man for the job and then in the next sentence talk about how without this one player it wouldn't matter the team would be doomed. Long and annoying to go though, but most of your points really either were wrong on their face or had nothing to do with anything I said. Torts was and still is a great coach and I'm happy he's here. What we're doing is a credit to him.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:48 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

It also helps that we have a 40 goal scorer, a 30 goal scorer who also does everything else, and an elite playmaking center. Even great coaches couldn't do much with the teams we've had sans Jagr. More than satisfied with Torts at the helm right now because its pretty obvious he's a good fit with the team as is.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:45 PM
kennglin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
Literally a year ago he was a clown that should be fired and replaced immediately.

And we're a .500 season away from the usual suspects coming back and saying the same thing.
So was Tom Coughlin, it's just the way sports work... which is funny when you think about it

kennglin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:07 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Torts is now a 50 win coach in NY. Amazing.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan25 View Post
I still hate torts love affair with certain players
Tom Renney played Hollweg-Betts-Orr like a first line.

There isn't a coach in the world who has differing opinions with some of the fanbase over which players to play.

03-30-2012, 10:18 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
My only complaint was his avoidance of putting Gabby with Richards until a month ago or so. It was infuriating watching Anisimov ruin whatever Gabby and Stepan were doing. Him putting Hagelin on that line was ****ing genius.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:33 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I could care less about how a coach handles the media. Hell, I didnt care when I was the media. All I care about is structure, accountability, consistency and winning. Torts has done all four, for the most part.

But like I said, he only has so many chances left. The "rebuild" or "retool" is obviously over. He needs to be at the helm for a run to the CF this season.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:48 AM
TUQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The young players will get better with more playoff experience. That's the biggest issue with this team. Playoff experience. The Rangers and Blues are in the same spot. The coaches have won a Cup while their teams are young. The Rangers have Richards and Rupp. The Blues have Arnott and Langenbrunner. Not much playoff experience. The Blues have made the playoffs once since the lockout(2009)before this season. The Rangers haven't won a series since 2008. The Rangers are still developing and building their team. They will more youth in the future.
And Fedotenko

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote