HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Who we playin'? Winna what? Win-a-peg? That a city or a cheap contest for Pirates?

Old
03-30-2012, 01:14 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
This Winnipeg hate is starting to get a bit out of hand. Maybe you don't like some of their fans but is that any reason to hate on an entire city?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say almost all of you have never been to Winnipeg before.
I don't think anyone said they hate the city. I just don't like the attitude a lot of the fans seem to have. Having said that, I have met plenty of good ones too.

2 12 oz Drinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:17 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 12 oz Drinks View Post
I don't think anyone said they hate the city. I just don't like the attitude a lot of the fans seem to have. Having said that, I have met plenty of good ones too.
There was an image that crossed the line that I deleted.

I know this a GDT guys but let's keep things in good taste.

And chant "Atlanta's better" at the game if we're up by a couple late in the 3rd

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:49 PM
Sens1Canes2

I'm with Cardiac_Canes on this one, and even the explanations for said "hate" are borderline ridiculous. Failing to acknowledge the "history" of the Thrashers, really? Run as far away from that disaster of a franchise as possible, that'd be my imperative if I were in charge of True North.

You can't troll a fanbase that sells out 5 years in less than 3 hours. You just can't. (You can, of course, troll retards on HF. Fire away. But a lot of it goes far beyond that)

Sens1Canes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:56 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post

And chant "Atlanta's better" at the game if we're up by a couple late in the 3rd
Oh ok I must've seen the GDT after the delete

Old
03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I look at it like this. People are sensitive to the whole the south doesn't deserve hockey that is perpetuated by Canadian media and dumbass fans esp. on a site like this dominated by Canada fans. So when a south team is sold to Canadians who want to move said team to Canada that angers people. Not to mention the fact that it's rubbed in people's noses all the time.

As a hockey fan, who neither lives in the south or canada, I wish things could be different but its the way it is.

Now, that "hate" is only getting worse when people perceive a rowdy, involved crowd as obnoxious idiots.

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
Identity404
Unknown Pleasures

I only "hate" Winnipeg when we are playing in their building, but's its really because I am jelly that their fans are the best in the nhl

When they play anywhere else I hate them because they have Ladd, and we are stuck with Tuomo 'useless goal' Ruutu while paying him more.

Identity404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:14 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Will post a picture of my sign upon completion.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens1Canes2 View Post
I'm with Cardiac_Canes on this one, and even the explanations for said "hate" are borderline ridiculous. Failing to acknowledge the "history" of the Thrashers, really? Run as far away from that disaster of a franchise as possible, that'd be my imperative if I were in charge of True North.

You can't troll a fanbase that sells out 5 years in less than 3 hours. You just can't. (You can, of course, troll retards on HF. Fire away. But a lot of it goes far beyond that)
If it makes people happy, the ownership of the Jets is carrying on the Dan Snyder Memorial Trophy and Dan's family will be in Winnipeg for the on-ice presentation. Both sides (The Snyder Family and Jets organization) wanted this and I think it's great that it's being carried on.

Other than that, and please don't take this as me being ignorant, but what the hell else was Winnipeg suppose to carry on from the Atlanta Thrashers? It was an unfortunate situation for some but it is what it is and we all must move on.

I spent a lot of my years here on this board and as a Carolina Hurricanes fan, and as a Canadian myself, I was a big fan and supporter of a "Southern team". I understand the hate and the mentality that goes on between Canada/Southern USA, but it is unnecessary, I think, and it goes both ways. It's petty.

I also understand the Canadian media does it's fair share of pumping the "mighty Canada" compared to the "Southern USA" and what some classify as traditional and non-traditional hockey markets, it can be ridiculous, but that is the media. To hate on a fanbase or team, organization, Country, etc. because of the media? To each their own, but I tend to hate the ****ing media and would much rather walk to the beat of my own drum than have the media form my conclusions and give me something to be pissy about or hate something for.

Same goes for fans that come off as idiots. You'll find them everywhere. You may see a wpgjetsnfan2011 (I don't even know if this is a member here, I made it up) who comes to your board and is a complete classless moron, yet we've never once seen him on the Jets board. It's a shame that the bad apples and immature idiots can ruin an entire fan boards reputation, and it happens to all boards. But I suppose it is what it is. I can guarantee you though that on the Jets board there is no "hate" on Southern teams.

Of course, this is all pointless of me to say, really. What's it going to change? likely nothing. I personally HATE the line or arrogance that seems to divide hockey fans (Canadian, American, Southern, traditional and non-traditional)... it's pointless to me. Utter garbage. If you love the game, you love the game. If you're a fan, you're a fan. I don't care where you live or where you come from. If you're a fan or have an interest in the game, i'd personally love to talk with you and would treat you no different than any other fan.

Anyway, I hope you's are all doing well. Best of luck and hopefully our two teams can play some meaningful games next year.

*Edit: And guess what, I am Canadian and I like Nascar. I couldn't give a flying **** who knows. F u haters.

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-30-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:

Also, love the thread title. I see nothing wrong with our teams having a rivalry but personally I don't hate the Canes or their fans. If you guys had snuck into the playoffs I'd probably have cheered you like the year when you guys beat the Bruins.

Here's to a good game with no injuries

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:45 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
I look at it like this. People are sensitive to the whole the south doesn't deserve hockey that is perpetuated by Canadian media and dumbass fans esp. on a site like this dominated by Canada fans. So when a south team is sold to Canadians who want to move said team to Canada that angers people. Not to mention the fact that it's rubbed in people's noses all the time.

As a hockey fan, who neither lives in the south or canada, I wish things could be different but its the way it is.

Now, that "hate" is only getting worse when people perceive a rowdy, involved crowd as obnoxious idiots.
I think you and Guerzy nailed it. It's more a media driven thing then anything else but damn is it annoying. I have no problem with the Winnipeg fans (other then the troll du jour that may come by every now and then), just the fans in general for any franchise that parrot off everything they hear in the media that's pro-them/anti-us (Carolina or the south in general).

Sadly it's something I'm overly used to when I shouldn't have to be. I remember the 03-04 season and the 04-05 lockout season when the Canes and (of all teams) the Pens were the two targets to move to (insert city here). Obviously the Pens narrative has changed, and to an extent we've gained SOME respect. But the anti-southern argument is still extensive and markets that have proven themselves down here (Carolina, Nashville) are still targeted along with everyone else that fits that argument to fit a nationalist/regionalist agenda.

Still, there's no reason for things to get to the point of being offensive between the two fanbases. It's unnecessary and we're better then that.

Last edited by DaveG: 03-30-2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: me fail english? that's unpossible
Old
03-30-2012, 02:46 PM
Mebanecanesfan
The Dirty Areas!

2 free tickets to the first person who pm's me with their email address. They are in section 333

Mebanecanesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:52 PM
WWAD

9 - 0 Winnipeg - shutout - shutout - shutout

Byfuglien with the Ovechtrick

Bogosian cross checks Larose in the head, but avoids suspension for the 4th time this season after revealing that he possesses even more naked photos of Shannahans wife.

Ladd want return a canes

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:07 PM
2 12 oz Drinks
Or Less

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
If it makes people happy, the ownership of the Jets is carrying on the Dan Snyder Memorial Trophy and Dan's family will be in Winnipeg for the on-ice presentation. Both sides (The Snyder Family and Jets organization) wanted this and I think it's great that it's being carried on.

Other than that, and please don't take this as me being ignorant, but what the hell else was Winnipeg suppose to carry on from the Atlanta Thrashers? It was an unfortunate situation for some but it is what it is and we all must move on.

I spent a lot of my years here on this board and as a Carolina Hurricanes fan, and as a Canadian myself, I was a big fan and supporter of a "Southern team". I understand the hate and the mentality that goes on between Canada/Southern USA, but it is unnecessary, I think, and it goes both ways. It's petty.

I also understand the Canadian media does it's fair share of pumping the "mighty Canada" compared to the "Southern USA" and what some classify as traditional and non-traditional hockey markets, it can be ridiculous, but that is the media. To hate on a fanbase or team, organization, Country, etc. because of the media? To each their own, but I tend to hate the ****ing media and would much rather walk to the beat of my own drum than have the media form my conclusions and give me something to be pissy about or hate something for.

Same goes for fans that come off as idiots. You'll find them everywhere. You may see a wpgjetsnfan2011 (I don't even know if this is a member here, I made it up) who comes to your board and is a complete classless moron, yet we've never once seen him on the Jets board. It's a shame that the bad apples and immature idiots can ruin an entire fan boards reputation, and it happens to all boards. But I suppose it is what it is. I can guarantee you though that on the Jets board there is no "hate" on Southern teams.

Of course, this is all pointless of me to say, really. What's it going to change? likely nothing. I personally HATE the line or arrogance that seems to divide hockey fans (Canadian, American, Southern, traditional and non-traditional)... it's pointless to me. Utter garbage. If you love the game, you love the game. If you're a fan, you're a fan. I don't care where you live or where you come from. If you're a fan or have an interest in the game, i'd personally love to talk with you and would treat you no different than any other fan.

Anyway, I hope you's are all doing well. Best of luck and hopefully our two teams can play some meaningful games next year.
Agreed. Every team has some good and bad fans. The sad thing is that the bad ones usually take the attention away from the good ones. Personally I don't hold anything against the Jets from moving. I mean it obviously wasn't working as well as a team in Winnipeg could.

Very well put about the division of hockey fans. I've met great fans from just about anywhere.

I like that the Jets organization is continuing the Dan Snyder award. That's really nice

Old
03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

I live in CT, I don't know any hockey fans around me...Irl I mean so I found this site six months ago and it was like whoa this is great! Then, you start interacting with fans and I like chatting with all fans but you can feel the divide.. Just the way someone posts and it kinda turned me off to moving around the site lol.

OH and people wanting the thrashers to be remembered by the jets well tbh, the Canes don't do much about the Whale and I don't see how that's different. Yes, they had some numbers retired and the Records go back to them but so the Jets number to the thrashers it's not like Teemu selane is in the record books for this Jets franchise.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
irunthepeg
THE ONE WHO KNOCKS

Quote:
I think you and Guerzy nailed it. It's more a media driven thing then anything else but damn is it annoying. I have no problem with the Winnipeg fans (other then the troll du jour that may come by every now and then), just the fans in general for any franchise that parrot off everything they hear in the media that's pro-them/anti-us (Carolina or the south in general).

Sadly it's something I'm overly used to when I shouldn't have to be.
I remember the 03-04 season and the 04-05 lockout season when the Canes and (of all teams) the Pens were the two targets to move to (insert city here). Obviously the Pens narrative has changed, and to an extent we've gained SOME respect. But the anti-southern argument is still extensive and markets that have proven themselves down here (Carolina, Nashville) are still targeted along with everyone else that fits that argument to fit a nationalist/regionalist agenda.

Still, there's no reason for things to get to the point of being offensive between the two fanbases. It's unnecessary and we're better then that.
On behalf of civilized Canadian fans who are a fan of the game actually growing, I apologize. I'm glad Carolina has a franchise and I hope they never lose theirs. I also hope Nashville never loses the Preds.

irunthepeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Mebanecanesfan
The Dirty Areas!

Tickets claimed

Mebanecanesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by faulkingdynamic View Post
No but i did just watch a program about the Spartans, Los Bravos, and Hells Angels motorcycle clubs filling the streets with blood and coke. It felt like i was there.
Jets fan here, felt a need to reply.

FYI, a program about a tiny minority of 15 or so bikers in Winnipeg is no more representative of the general populous than is the perception held by some that North Carolina is populated mostly by rednecks; both are falsehoods. Winnipeg is actually the greenest city in North America; it possesses the largest urban forest on the continent. It is populated mainly by friendly and quite welcoming people. Our license plate motto is Friendly Manitoba and we live up to it.

If you wish to carry on with spewing falsehoods though, go for it. Best of luck in the game tonight!

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

A long long time ago
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile

Can we get through the entire song?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:41 PM
bleedgreen

I love winni's crowd. Reminds me of how hockey was in the northeast when I was growing up. Hockey games are supposed to be rowdy and obnoxious with excessive beer swilling and bravado. Avs games are like going to the museum. I miss the mall.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:06 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post

First off, just saying that I'm a Jets STH but I also do like the Canes, anyone who beats the Oilers in the SCF has my gratitude for life

Second of all, the "Canadian media", at least the large outfits, don't say anything about the "south doesn't deserve hockey" debate, apart from maybe Don Cherry, who's an entity unto himself. There are some regional broadcasters that might bring it up from time to time, or some, I'll be nice and call them "traditionalist", fans that say that, but the media largely stays away from it. Last season when Nashville played Vancouver in the second round, CBC couldn't stop praising Nashville, and when the Jets were in Nashville last weekend, they said the same thing. In fact, even amongst the sunbelt teams, I think Nashville and Carolina are considered great markets.

I think the stereotype of the "arrogant Canadian media" is just as bad as the "south is no good for hockey" stereotype. Both are ridiculous. They come from small sources and explode into something bigger. It's like saying that an article on FOX News about Canada and football is saying that "American media hates us". People cherry pick negative articles, which might represent 4 or 5% of articles written in Canada about hockey, as that Canadian media and Canadians in general hate hockey in the south. It's not the prevailing attitude.

I think this rivalry that many of you thinks exist between the teams and their fans is a bit one sided. The teams might not like each other but I don't think any Jets fans have a problem with Carolina. I'd say that Washington gets the lion's share of our divisional hatred

Just saw the thing about the bikers: The Hells Angels were basically decimated in the city thanks to two large scale police operations. In fact, there are less than 7 full members on the streets of Winnipeg due to the arrests, meaning that they are techincally in violation of the club rules (need 7 or more members for a charter) and are in danger of losing their patches. Rock Machine is still around a bit though.

Last edited by tbcwpg: 03-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.
tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:17 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

I just realized... my seats are going to be almost directly under the goal horn. NICE.

314, row K if any of you want to come say hello. Although during the intermissions, I'm either hanging out by the windows near the escalators or in the lounge with the TVs. I'd love to meet some of you guys... HFBoards Caniacs unite!

Last edited by gocanes88: 03-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.
gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:28 PM
JustJoe2k5
Semin - Coach Killer

I really want to see a blowout victory tonight...so they'll definitely lose. Hopefully, Staal will pick up where he left off a few weeks ago.

JustJoe2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:43 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordUp View Post
On behalf of civilized Canadian fans who are a fan of the game actually growing, I apologize. I'm glad Carolina has a franchise and I hope they never lose theirs. I also hope Nashville never loses the Preds.
Nothing to apologize for, the vast majority of you guys that I've talked to on HF are chill (aside from obvious trolls). As for Canada as a whole I've had nothing but great times there to the point that I've been weighing a move in the next 2 or so years.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
First off, just saying that I'm a Jets STH but I also do like the Canes, anyone who beats the Oilers in the SCF has my gratitude for life

Second of all, the "Canadian media", at least the large outfits, don't say anything about the "south doesn't deserve hockey" debate, apart from maybe Don Cherry, who's an entity unto himself. There are some regional broadcasters that might bring it up from time to time, or some, I'll be nice and call them "traditionalist", fans that say that, but the media largely stays away from it. Last season when Nashville played Vancouver in the second round, CBC couldn't stop praising Nashville, and when the Jets were in Nashville last weekend, they said the same thing. In fact, even amongst the sunbelt teams, I think Nashville and Carolina are considered great markets.

I think the stereotype of the "arrogant Canadian media" is just as bad as the "south is no good for hockey" stereotype. Both are ridiculous. They come from small sources and explode into something bigger. It's like saying that an article on FOX News about Canada and football is saying that "American media hates us". People cherry pick negative articles, which might represent 4 or 5% of articles written in Canada about hockey, as that Canadian media and Canadians in general hate hockey in the south. It's not the prevailing attitude.

I think this rivalry that many of you thinks exist between the teams and their fans is a bit one sided. The teams might not like each other but I don't think any Jets fans have a problem with Carolina. I'd say that Washington gets the lion's share of our divisional hatred
I have no hate towards Winnipeg, I hate the bolts more then anyone in the division... Early on in the season I was over at the Jets board rooting for them but because of time issues and other things, it became harder to follow them. I'm glad the city has a team back... I just wish the sterotypes would end....At the end of the day, alot of people love hockey and as someone who lives in a state that doesn't have a team anymore... I just wish people enjoyed what they have and leave the BS out.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Does anyone know if you can still park in Cardinal Gibbons for free?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote