HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coyotes sign Mike Lee

Old
03-29-2012, 04:24 PM
PhoPhan

vCash: 500
Coyotes sign Mike Lee

Busy day for Maloney.

Quote:
Phx Coyotes tap into college ranks again...sign St.Cloud Jr goalie Mike Lee. 3rd round pick in 2009.
https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/...70677418123264

Congrats to Mike. He'll need to have a great rookie season wherever he starts (guessing AHL) because both Domingue and Visentin will be ready for AHL duty in a year. That's when things really get interesting.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:30 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Busy day for Maloney.

https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/...70677418123264

Congrats to Mike. He'll need to have a great rookie season wherever he starts (guessing AHL) because both Domingue and Visentin will be ready for AHL duty in a year. That's when things really get interesting.
Love this signing. Now we finally see organizational depth at goaltender.

hbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Now this I can't say I expected. But yeah, seems like we finally have some crazy goalie depth.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Meh.

I rather have that Goalie we overreached in the draft a couple of years back.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:08 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Meh.

I believe he's already signed.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:21 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Meh.

Huh? Which one? Not Pelletier, right?

Old
03-29-2012, 05:23 PM
hbk

Quote:
Visentin

Old
03-29-2012, 05:35 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Visentin
Ah, right. Him. Yep. Already signed. Domingue, too. But I suspect both the Coyotes stash one and probably both in the CHL for another year.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:39 PM
hbk

Quote:
Ah, right. Him. Yep. Already signed. Domingue, too. But I suspect both the Coyotes stash one and probably both in the CHL for another year.
Visentin likely is a back to back winner of OHL Goalie of the Year award so he's got to move on to the next level next season.

Domingue or Lee eating up majority minutes at the ECHL level might be a better alternative to being a backup at the AHL level.

Old
03-29-2012, 05:54 PM
XX
... Waiting

My money is still on Visentin coming out on top. He has the work ethic and attitude. He doesn't look like much of a reach now either.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 05:58 PM
hbk

Watch us draft Visilevski this year in the first round....

Old
03-29-2012, 06:05 PM
Kaibur

Quote:
Watch us draft Visilevski this year in the first round....
They are modeling this build off of Nashville to some extent, and that place has been a mini-goalie factory under Poile/Trotz. Maybe we'll be the same. But would it kill us to draft a few skilled forwards?

I figured Lee would sign after he had that good run at the end of the year. If he didn't get in now, he probably wasn't going to have many opportunities to advance. They traded up to get him in the 3rd. Surely Visentin will move up next year as well.

Kaibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:27 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Nice. Hopefully one of the goalie prospects pay off.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 06:40 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
My money is still on Visentin coming out on top. He has the work ethic and attitude. He doesn't look like much of a reach now either.
I like Visentin (especially his puckhandling) and agree he projects as the best of the three, but he's still probably at least two years away from being even an NHL backup. By the time he's ready to start, assuming he even gets there, the Coyotes will own his rights for maybe three more years. That's a pretty hefty investment on a guy that's still a pretty big longshot, and it's a perfect example of why you shouldn't take a goalie in the first round. A forward of similar caliber would be producing in a limited role by age 20 or 21 and likely give you an extra five years or so of contribution.

Old
03-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
I believe he's already signed.
Quote:
Quote:
Visentin
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
My fault for not being more specific. I have been sold on Visentin along time ago as being #1 goalie in the future and screw everyone else in the system.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2012, 07:20 PM
hbk

Quote:
My fault for not being more specific. I have been sold on Visentin along time ago as being #1 goalie in the future and screw everyone else in the system.
I'm not sure I completely agree with going all in with Visentin as our future. We tried that before with David LeNeveu and it failed. I'm happy we've hedged our bets with Domingue and Lee.

I'm all for not using a first rounder on a G going forward but I know at some point prior to the draft that I'm going to do my draft list and Vasilevski's name is going to be on it.

Old
03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

I think Domingue has some serious potential too.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:04 AM
Gwyddbwyll

Quote:
I like Visentin (especially his puckhandling) and agree he projects as the best of the three, but he's still probably at least two years away from being even an NHL backup. By the time he's ready to start, assuming he even gets there, the Coyotes will own his rights for maybe three more years. That's a pretty hefty investment on a guy that's still a pretty big longshot, and it's a perfect example of why you shouldn't take a goalie in the first round. A forward of similar caliber would be producing in a limited role by age 20 or 21 and likely give you an extra five years or so of contribution.
I hate drafting goalies too. A possible counter argument could be that a starting goaltender is usually worth more than a skater who is only 1/19th of a roster. You'd probably take 3 years of Bryzgalov instead of 5+ years of Boedker or Turris.

The reason I dont like drafting one is that it's possible to get a home run in free agency - the franchise's four great goalies were all cheap (Khabby, Burke, Bryz and Smith). It's much harder to get a Boedker or Turris cheap although I suppose you could point out Maloney has done that with Torres, Brule, Korpikoski, Vermette, Chipchura, Klesla. So maybe that's not true.

Gwyddbwyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:20 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

I can't see him amounting to anything more than an AHL journeyman. Lost his starting job to a rookie fresh out of Tier II Junior A for parts of this season--had comparable numbers. There wasn't enough progression over his time at St. Cloud.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Kaizen

Did he lose his job or was he simply injured - just because they split some of the games earlier in the year doesn`t translate to lost his starting job to a rookie .

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:54 PM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgyotes View Post
I can't see him amounting to anything more than an AHL journeyman. Lost his starting job to a rookie fresh out of Tier II Junior A for parts of this season--had comparable numbers. There wasn't enough progression over his time at St. Cloud.
Soooooo wrong. He split time early in the season because he wasn't 100% due to injury. He had surgery to correct the injury. He was the full-time starter upon recovering from surgery.

He was a co-captain starting this season. He's a biomedical science major with a 4.0 GPA and plans on finishing his degree.

Maybe he never becomes more than an AHL journeyman, but it won't be due to work ethic or poor goaltending technique. Regardless of how high he makes it in the Coyotes organization, he'll improve the overall quality of the organization the first time he walks into the locker room. Mike is the kind of guy every franchise loves to have and hates to lose (speaking from experience).

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 03:19 PM
Kaizen

http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2207

$615K over $67.5K with a $90K annual signing bonus.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote