HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jackets vs. Florida | 3/30 7PM

Old
03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

vCash: 500
I dont really care which game he starts, as long as gets at least one chance. I want him to prove some people wrong.

gojackets1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:08 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
I dont really care which game he starts, as long as gets at least one chance. I want him to prove some people wrong.
Don't you think it would be more satisfying if he actually earned it, rather than just be given it? Having been a wonderful success story in college isn't enough to get a start in the NHL. It's like you're looking for a sequel to "Rudy." Let the kid do something as a pro, first.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 01:53 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Don't you think it would be more satisfying if he actually earned it, rather than just be given it? Having been a wonderful success story in college isn't enough to get a start in the NHL. It's like you're looking for a sequel to "Rudy." Let the kid do something as a pro, first.
He has earned it. What make Ryan Johansen anymore earned than Hunwick? At some point someone had to give RyJo a shot to earn his spot. In a spot where it doesn't matter if we win or lose, give him a shot and let him earn the right to be invited back.

No idea why people are so against playing this kid. Don't give me the RyJo earned his spot because of his play in the WHL. In the preseason RyJo had 1 or 2 games he looked ready. The kid made it this far, let him go for it. We don't have anything to lose.

kshymkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
No idea why people are so against playing this kid. Don't give me the RyJo earned his spot because of his play in the WHL. In the preseason RyJo had 1 or 2 games he looked ready. The kid made it this far, let him go for it. We don't have anything to lose.
Why compare specifically to Johansen? I can see the "cool story" angle and the "nothing to lose" angle. What I can't see is "hell he has the same right Johansen does..." That doesn't even make sense. Can't it be enough just to say "Hey - I like the kid's story and hope he plays" without it being against someone/something else?

Old
03-30-2012, 02:02 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
He has earned it. What make Ryan Johansen anymore earned than Hunwick? At some point someone had to give RyJo a shot to earn his spot. In a spot where it doesn't matter if we win or lose, give him a shot and let him earn the right to be invited back.

I don't know if "people" are, but I am. If he comes in and plays well, I'll be as happy as anyone. But give an emergency fill-in backup a start? Why, because he's a cute little smurf? He made it this far because he was in Ann Arbor, had he been in Boston, he'd be making plans with his pals for his weekend fun. What have you seen of this kid that convinces you that he's ready to play in the NHL?

Old
03-30-2012, 02:04 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassé View Post
Why compare specifically to Johansen? I can see the "cool story" angle and the "nothing to lose" angle. What I can't see is "hell he has the same right Johansen does..." That doesn't even make sense. Can't it be enough just to say "Hey - I like the kid's story and hope he plays" without it being against someone/something else?
How does someone like Johansen have a right to play in the NHL, but this kid doesn't? Because Johansen was more recruited and touted than Hunwick?

It bothers me when someone says he doesn't have the right to do it. If anyone has earned the right, it is Hunwick. Guy was a walk on, put in the hard work necessary to become a starter, and is now th best goaltender (stats wise) to have ever played at UM. That should mean something. Why hold back from playing him? Who knows what we have in him, until he is given the shot to prove it.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:06 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
I don't know if "people" are, but I am. If he comes in and plays well, I'll be as happy as anyone. But give an emergency fill-in backup a start? Why, because he's a cute little smurf? He made it this far because he was in Ann Arbor, had he been in Boston, he'd be making plans with his pals for his weekend fun. What have you seen of this kid that convinces you that he's ready to play in the NHL?
I have seen him play, at the college level. I have seen how hard he works for the puck. How he never quits trying to make the save.

I want to see him play, because I feel he can play at the NHL level. I would say Hunwick is more ready to play at the NHL level than York.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:08 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Im not quite sure I understand how he is supposed to 'prove himself' if he isnt given any time in the first place.. You thinking AHL? I guess a more accurate comparison than Johansen, who is the comparison right now, would be Mason, did he prove himself in a league other than juniors? He only played 3 games in the AHL. Hunwick had as good of a College Career as Mason had a junior career and is in an even better situation than Mason was to come in and get a shot to play with the big boys. I dont remember where we were in the standings when Mason played his first game, but we sure as hell hadnt clinched last place in the league.

Edit: of course i left out the height factor and draft position, but really whatve we got to lose?

Old
03-30-2012, 02:19 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
If Mason is done for the season York should get the remaining starts, he's the one who needs the ice time, he's paid his dues being a part of the organization all year long.. as for Hunwick, he should simply serve the role of backup. If there's a reason for the starter (York for the time being) to be replaced he will get his chance then.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I am trying to figure out what he would be proving wrong.

I would like to see the kid get into a game. He doesn't even have to start. I hope the coaching staff will give him the courtesy of some ice time. I know I would. Hopefully in a game that matter to no one, if there is one on our schedule. Islanders might work, but it's the last game. We'll see.

With the back-to-backs, he could see a game I suppose.

Just put Mason on IR and be done with it, before he hurts himself again.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 02:30 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I am trying to figure out what he would be proving wrong.

I would like to see the kid get into a game. He doesn't even have to start. I hope the coaching staff will give him the courtesy of some ice time. I know I would. Hopefully in a game that matter to no one, if there is one on our schedule. Islanders might work, but it's the last game. We'll see.

With the back-to-backs, he could see a game I suppose.

Just put Mason on IR and be done with it, before he hurts himself again.
People in the hockey world who say hes too small to play in the NHL is who he will (hopefully) prove wrong. He is pretty damn tiny though...

Old
03-30-2012, 02:31 PM
blahblah

Quote:
People in the hockey world who say hes too small to play in the NHL is who he will (hopefully) prove wrong. He is pretty damn tiny though...
He's not going to prove that between now and the end of the year.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:41 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
He's not going to prove that between now and the end of the year.
True, never thought about that..

Old
03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
If Mason is done for the season York should get the remaining starts, he's the one who needs the ice time, he's paid his dues being a part of the organization all year long.. as for Hunwick, he should simply serve the role of backup. If there's a reason for the starter (York for the time being) to be replaced he will get his chance then.
Very odd, but I agree with Robert.

03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
blahblah

Quote:
True, never thought about that..
Good luck to him and, hopefully, someone gives him an opportunity. Even if it is not us.

This is a great experience for him and a few dollars in his pocket.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:58 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Good luck to him and, hopefully, someone gives him an opportunity. Even if it is not us.

This is a great experience for him and a few dollars in his pocket.
I guess I do just really like his story, but I also have somewhat of a personal connection to him, so I guess that helps.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
blahblah

Quote:
I guess I do just really like his story, but I also have somewhat of a personal connection to him, so I guess that helps.
I like the story as well. What should be amusing is in 20 years telling everyone how he backed up Allen York. Will it be "Who the hell is Allen York?"?

Old
03-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Very odd, but I agree with Robert.
Just telling it they way I see it... that said, it would be fun to see the kid play with that Michigan mask on.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
... that said, it would be fun to see the kid play with that Michigan mask on.
Too late, Bob (from PuckRakers):

G Shawn Hunwick has bowed to the many offended masses in Columbus. The former University of Michigan goaltender has put blue tape over the yellow stripes on his Wolverines helmet, so it'll look solid, almost-Union blue from a distance. "No more wings for me," Hunwick said, "until I get back to school." His pads aren't changing, though. "I wouldn't be able to break something in in the next 10 days," he said.

Need I say how stupid I think some fans are?

Old
03-30-2012, 04:20 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:

G Shawn Hunwick has bowed to the many offended masses in Columbus. The former University of Michigan goaltender has put blue tape over the yellow stripes on his Wolverines helmet, so it'll look solid, almost-Union blue from a distance. "No more wings for me," Hunwick said, "until I get back to school." His pads aren't changing, though. "I wouldn't be able to break something in in the next 10 days," he said.

Wow did people actually complain about that? Sometimes I absolutely hate the obsession with OSU here in Columbus. People need to get a grip.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:58 PM
CapnCornelius

OT victory would work for me. I want to see Kevin Dineen do well.

Hopefully I win the MegaMillions and can go about the hard work of solving this franchise's problems. If JPM won't sell, I'll buy the Coyotes and move them into the Schott.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:01 PM
eljefe72

Quote:

I took that part to be poking a little fun at OSU fans rather than the actual truth.

eljefe72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:08 PM
gojackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

Hopefully I win the MegaMillions and can go about the hard work of solving this franchise's problems. If JPM won't sell, I'll buy the Coyotes and move them into the Schott.
I was hoping for this as well.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:28 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post

If I win I'll buy the Jackets, the owners should take 100 million... Then I'd buy the Arena too for peanuts and change the name to a giant "Roberts Center"... ! Then I'd buy HF boards for a cool million and everyone will play by my rules! I'd still let Chainshot run the place for me though..

The best part would be giving Priest and Howson the tip of my silver tipped boot..

Old
03-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Quote:
Wow did people actually complain about that? Sometimes I absolutely hate the obsession with OSU here in Columbus. People need to get a grip.
This x a million............and I am a life-long (57 years - no old man jokes please) Ohio State football & B-ball fan. BUT, when I watch the Jackets and/or the NHL, I couldn't give a spit about OSU/Michigan, where the hockey players are from (Michigan? that's cool -who cares?), etc.

The obsession with OSU isn't confined to Columbus either...........it gets very tiresome................

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote