HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Where does Justin Schultz sign? [MOD: All Schultz Talk]

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 01:21 PM
crazycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
There is nothing to negotiate. Every team will off the ELC max. It just depends on where he wants to play.
When I say negotiate, I mean having the teams talk with him and his advisor(agent) and do what they can to convince him that their team is the better opportunity for him.

In this situation, ya every team has the ability to offer him the max ELC but if I was in his situation I would have a short list and then talk with each team and use those discussions to gauge which team is the best fit and which team gives me the best opportunity.

From what I understand only the Ducks can talk with Schultz and his advisor right now, and my question was after April 8th, are the rest of the teams allowed to talk with him?

Old
03-30-2012, 01:22 PM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Wish we could get him in Pittsburgh. Would be a solid Martin replacement

Old
03-30-2012, 01:27 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What compensation???? Schultz drops out school before June 1. He becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Ducks get nothing.
McKenzie said he becomes a UFA July 1st.

Quote:
3. Leave school at end of semester, become UFA July 1, sign with NHL team of choice. Hearing no decision is imminent, will take his time.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
McKenzie said he becomes a UFA July 1st.

He can negotiate prior to July 1st, he cant officially sign until July 1st.

It is just like Blake Wheeler's situation in 2008. Where he agreed to a contract with Boston in mid June, but the deal wasn't signed until July 1st.

Old
03-30-2012, 01:32 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
When I say negotiate, I mean having the teams talk with him and his advisor(agent) and do what they can to convince him that their team is the better opportunity for him.

In this situation, ya every team has the ability to offer him the max ELC but if I was in his situation I would have a short list and then talk with each team and use those discussions to gauge which team is the best fit and which team gives me the best opportunity.

From what I understand only the Ducks can talk with Schultz and his advisor right now, and my question was after April 8th, are the rest of the teams allowed to talk with him?
no, he is still Anaheim property after April 8th. He needs to declare his intention of not returning to college next year by June 1st. If he does so, he becomes a UFA June 1st, and teams can negotiate with him after that date. IIRC, they can not officially sign him until July 1st (think this is what happened with Wheeler). But until June 1st, he's still Anaheim property.

If he declares that he's returning to college next year, then he will remain Ducks property until the August following his final season. However, I don't think most people expect him to return. Even with the lockout, he needs to make a decision well before the lockout is announced. And if he can't negotiate with other teams until he's made that decision, he's not likely to going sit and wait until mid-September to find out if there's a lockout to make his decision.

My guess is that he becomes a UFA June 1st, and will negotiate with other teams after that. Anaheim won't get any compensation in return, as he'll be free to negotiate with other teams before the playoffs are even over (most likely).

Old
03-30-2012, 01:34 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He can negotiate prior to July 1st, he cant officially sign until July 1st.

It is just like Blake Wheeler's situation in 2008. Where he agreed to a contract with Boston in mid June, but the deal wasn't signed until July 1st.
Thanks for the info

Old
03-30-2012, 01:47 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
I've been there many, many, many times... I'm very familiar with NYC - hence, as I said "lots of young people would love to live there" Schultz is a young person... he's just coming out of college and will be making tons of money as a kid in his early 20s. That's the perfect time to live in NYC. When he decides to raise a family he can move on... he could very likely hit UFA status by the time he's ready to settle down and raise a family.

I don't know Schultz personally, so I can't say for sure... like I've said before, I've met many Western Canadian small-town kids growing up and they wanted nothing to do with the big city... to many of them Vancouver is a big city. But if there's ever a time to live in and enjoy NYC, it's right now for Schultz.

In your early 20s, with lots of money, no better place to live IMO ... for a few years at least. It'd be an experience of a lifetime for him... I wouldn't raise a family there either, but I wasn't thinking about raising a family when I was 21 or 22 years old either.
Isn't Schultz from Kelowna? Not a small town by Canadian standards, western Canada especially.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholesickcrew View Post
Isn't Schultz from Kelowna? Not a small town by Canadian standards, western Canada especially.
yes, he is from Kelowna... and I consider Kelowna a small-town... I've had friends from Kelowna as well, and they had that small-town mentality... a couple of them moved to the "big city" and chose to move to Calgary because it was smaller than Vancouver, which they felt was too big a city for them to transition to... that's small-town mentality.

Hell I consider Vancouver a small city... many Canadians feel it's a big city (yea, 3rd largest in the country)... but on the world-wide scale, Vancouver is small... their downtown is very small and very dead for a supposed "big city" downtown.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:10 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

McKenzie said July 1?

Blake Wheeler visited the Rangers and other teams in June 2008. The Rangers had Wheeler visit them on June 11,2008. He toured the training facility in Greenburgh,NY.

Quote:
Rather, even as No. 68 told The Post that he hasn't spoken to general manager Glen Sather since the May 6, post-elimination breakup day, the Blueshirts were attempting to entice 21-year-old Blake Wheeler into signing an Entry Level deal with the club.

Wheeler, whom the Coyotes selected fifth overall in the 2004 Entry Draft and who became an unrestricted free agent after rejecting a Phoenix contract offer last month, visited New York yesterday and took a tour of the club's facilities, The Post has learned.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1qd1VqiRx

Wheeler agreed to terms with Boston on June 16

The Rangers were one of the finalists for Wheeler

Quote:
Boston general manager Peter Chiarelli, reached via e-mail, wrote that he was pleased Wheeler chose the Bruins.

"Of course, we can't sign him until July 1," said Chiarelli, "but we look forward to getting him in the mix. Anytime you can get a young player of Blake's caliber with that blend of size and skill, you are very fortunate."
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...gn_up_wheeler/

Back to Schultz. Many of the Rangers players live in Manhattan. Stepan and McDonagh live in the city. Some of the players live in the same buildings. Even the small town Canadian boys live in the city. Schultz won't have an issue living in the city. Its like being in the college dorm and getting paid. Marty Biron and a few of the other married guys live close to the Rangers training facility in suburbia. Westchester County,NY. Green grass. Trees.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Go Wings

Hopefully this doesn't drag on until July 1st I hope he makes a decision asap.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:59 PM
RipsADrive
Maybe next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
Hopefully this doesn't drag on until July 1st I hope he makes a decision asap.
I hope it lasts until then. If he signs before July 1st it means he's with the Ducks and not the Oilers.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:00 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

April 8th is just the last game of the season for the Ducks. I'm assuming then, even if he signs, he wont burn a year off his ELC. Which is one of the main benefits of signing with the Ducks.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:02 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
yes, he is from Kelowna... and I consider Kelowna a small-town... I've had friends from Kelowna as well, and they had that small-town mentality... a couple of them moved to the "big city" and chose to move to Calgary because it was smaller than Vancouver, which they felt was too big a city for them to transition to... that's small-town mentality.

Hell I consider Vancouver a small city... many Canadians feel it's a big city (yea, 3rd largest in the country)... but on the world-wide scale, Vancouver is small... their downtown is very small and very dead for a supposed "big city" downtown.
Kind of OT but isn't Metro-Van TINY? Like smaller than Calgary/Winnipeg and others? Either way, great city.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Glatt View Post
Wish we could get him in Pittsburgh. Would be a solid Martin replacement
I wouldn't be surprised if he shocked everyone and signed with a contender like Pittsburgh or Vancouver, maybe New York

Old
03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he shocked everyone and signed with a contender like Pittsburgh or Vancouver, maybe New York
How would signing in Vancouver be "shocking"?

It is after all his hometown team... it's his family's favorite team and would be close to home.

I think Vancouver is a favorite here because of the family connections and close proximity to home for him - and he's always said how important family and home has been for him growing up.

It wouldn't be surprising if he doesn't sign in Vancouver and goes elsewhere, but it'd hardly be shocking at all if he signed in Vancouver.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:22 PM
silvercanuck

I don't understand why Schultz would choose free agency just to sign with Edmonton. There's no real advantage when it comes to ice time and Edmonton is a perennial loser so he will not be in a great environment in terms of development. To me it makes absolutely no sense.

I think if he's is going to go through the trouble of becoming a free agent he is going to interested in more than just ice time. He'll probably want to sign with a competitive team.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
XO

Detroit... please!

I think he'll sign with Vancouver if not Anaheim. Where he has his family (BC), his favorite team growing up (if whats said in this thread is true), in need of his type, and a contender for some more seasons and if Schultz reaches his full potential im sure Canucks will continue to be a contender even when though Sedins will leave to play for MODO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I don't understand why Schultz would choose free agency just to sign with Edmonton. There's no real advantage when it comes to ice time and Edmonton is a perennial loser so he will not be in a great environment in terms of development. To me it makes absolutely no sense.

I think if he's is going to go through the trouble of becoming a free agent he is going to interested in more than just ice time. He'll probably want to sign with a competitive team.
why not? its not like Oilers will suck for so much longer. if they do they will be one of the biggest joke ever, seriously. Hall, RNH, MPS, Smid, Petry, Peckham, Gagner, Eberle, Marancin, Klefbom, Musil, Lander and add Schultz (if he signs) + their 1st round pick this year (probably 2nd overall) and they will be friggin loaded. only problem I see is with their goalies as im not a big fan of Dubnyk.

Last edited by XO: 03-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old
03-30-2012, 04:44 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callejon View Post
why not? its not like Oilers will suck for so much longer. if they do they will be one of the biggest joke ever, seriously. Hall, RNH, MPS, Smid, Petry, Peckham, Gagner, Eberle, Marancin, Klefbom, Musil, Lander and add Schultz (if he signs) + their 1st round pick this year (probably 2nd overall) and they will be friggin loaded. only problem I see is with their goalies as im not a big fan of Dubnyk.
The Oilers do have a nice collection of prospects and young players but let's not get carried away here. They are strong up front and weak everywhere else. They do not have the pieces to be a playoff team just yet and they are not a contender. The Ducks have a much better chance of making the playoffs next season and they have a pretty decent core to build around.

Frankly, I think if a player has to choose between a true contender (Detroit NYR Pitts Boston etc) and a team with "upside" like Edmonton I think it's pretty obvious that he'll lean towards the former. A lot of teams have upside. Very few can actually put it all together.

Old
03-31-2012, 05:07 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
What compensation???? Schultz drops out school before June 1. He becomes an unrestricted free agent. The Ducks get nothing.
Burke got Gardiner on a sweetheart deal. Now if Schultz goes to Toronto, you would think that Gardiner would have had something to do with it. So it would (I mean could) have a ‘bit' of “biting the hand that feeds you" kind of feel to it. Not really what you want with a colleague that you wish to continue dealing with. Burke, and Anaheim, probably have a good idea if they can sign Schultz or not, so what's to stop Burke from dealing for his rights?

Last edited by middletoe: 03-31-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old
03-31-2012, 05:16 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by middletoe View Post
Burke got Gardiner on a sweetheart deal. Now if Schultz goes to Toronto, you would think that Gardiner would have had something to do with it. So it would have a ‘bit' of “biting the hand that feeds you" kind of feel to it. Not really what you want with a colleague that you wish to continue dealing with. Burke, and Anaheim, probably have a good idea if they can sign Schultz or not, so what's to stop Burke from dealing for his rights?
There's no "biting the hand that feeds". Anaheim will have no ill feelings toward Toronto/Burke if he signs him. Their issue will be with Schultz. Burke would be dealing with a UFA just like the rest of the league.

Old
03-31-2012, 05:26 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
There's no "biting the hand that feeds". Anaheim will have no ill feelings toward Toronto/Burke if he signs him. Their issue will be with Schultz. Burke would be dealing with a UFA just like the rest of the league.
I wouldn't mind Burke offering the Leafs second rounder if Schultz looked like he was signing with us before hand. It would be better than to lose him for nothing.

Old
03-31-2012, 05:30 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
You might be right - I'm only speculating on a possibility. Don't know any of the guys involved personally so ...

Old
04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:

So "small-town mentality" is a state of mind wherein you might have some difficulty adjusting to a city bigger than yours. No wonder you go into relativism regarding Vancouver. Many New Yorkers would struggle in Mexico City, so there's a small town too.

Mostly, though, this idea boils down to nothing more than a huge generalization.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:53 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle View Post
I wouldn't mind Burke offering the Leafs second rounder if Schultz looked like he was signing with us before hand. It would be better than to lose him for nothing.
I would totally be on board with offering a conditional 2nd for Schultz. But if he doesn't sign, there is nothing. I'd give a 3rd just for his rights. No conditions.

Of course I might also give Gardiner a week off after the season, before sending him to the Marlies, to go and hang out with Schultz, and convince him Terranna would be cool.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Youreallygotme

Quote:

I moved from West Kelowna to Vancouver and I find it to be the perfect size, maybe even a bit small.

To the guy that is saying NYC is the best place for a young guy with tons of money, Vancouver is similar - it would be an amazing experience if you have lots of money. It's also closer to Justin Schultz's family, which is hopefully a factor too.

Closed Thread