HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 02:03 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Continue discussion here.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
03-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Beakermania*

vCash: 500
Does anyone know

Does Doug Wilson speak French?

Ottawa born and raised, his brother was a Hab in the dynasty years. San Jose is collapsing and they might decide to clean house.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:16 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Why would you want Doug Wilson?

Old
03-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Does anyone know

Ottawa born and raised, his brother was a Hab in the dynasty years. San Jose is collapsing and they might decide to clean house.
To be honest, I want someone that's been around a winning team and attitude. As good as Doug Wilson has been, he never was capable of bringing in that key piece for them to win a cup.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
To be honest, I want someone that's been around a winning team and attitude. As good as Doug Wilson has been, he never was capable of bringing in that key piece for them to win a cup.
True, but he's done better than the habs. He's been able to create a consistent playoff team. It's not his fault he got Thornton for nothing, but the guy disappears in the playoffs.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:34 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../137495/public

some interesting names in there and reasoning

Old
03-30-2012, 02:36 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Does anyone know

if he becomes available i would give him a call for sure.

He's built pretty good teams even through they haven't been able to win the cup they have made it to the western conference 2 years in a row

4,800th post

Old
03-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Why would you want Doug Wilson?
His team has consistently been in the conversation for the President's trophy every year but this one.

Sure they haven't been good in the playoffs, but they still have multiple trips to the conference finals. Thats not bad.

And one of their biggest chokers come playoff time has always been the goalie. We've got a pretty good one for him to start building with instead of starting with Nabokov (who was luongo-like in his playoffs).

Old
03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Anyone else think that Larry Carriere will be staying on as Ast GM or atleast some sort of role. Specially with a lot of the names for the new NHL being fairly inexperienced, keeping a guy like Larry Carriere might be important, with the additional of possible another Ast GM of the new GM choosing.

Before anyone thinks he is part of the old regime, he isn't, the guy hasn't worked with Gainey or Gauthier before coming here less than 2 years ago, and many believe that he was hired by Kevin Gilmore (Molson right hand man). And Molson seems to trust him, he said that Carriere will also be helping out in the process, and will be working together a lot everyday.

Old
03-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
True, but he's done better than the habs. He's been able to create a consistent playoff team. It's not his fault he got Thornton for nothing, but the guy disappears in the playoffs.
Sure, he doesn't control performances, but he's the one that needs to find the key pieces to bring a cup in.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:03 PM
BobLoblaw

Does Wilson speak French? I think he's worth a look. Look at some of the moves he's made, legit steals. A GM can only give his team the most to work with in the playoffs and hope that they get it done. SJ has the team to win. Wilson did his job.

Besides, we should focus on building up to being as consistent as SJ in terms of top conference finishes and going into the playoffs before nitpicking. Let's get to that point first. If it doesn't get us a Cup, then adjust.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Anyone else think that Larry Carriere will be staying on as Ast GM or atleast some sort of role. Specially with a lot of the names for the new NHL being fairly inexperienced, keeping a guy like Larry Carriere might be important, with the additional of possible another Ast GM of the new GM choosing.

Before anyone thinks he is part of the old regime, he isn't, the guy hasn't worked with Gainey or Gauthier before coming here less than 2 years ago, and many believe that he was hired by Kevin Gilmore (Molson right hand man). And Molson seems to trust him, he said that Carriere will also be helping out in the process, and will be working together a lot everyday.
I think this will be up to the new GM to decide. They might decide to keep him around for other work, but he won't be asst. GM.
The new GM will decide who he wants to surround himself with.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Lenny on Ice

How can I apply for the "Assistant to the GM" job?
I know I can do it and will work my way up till they offer me the GM spot.
Everything could be so easy. With the amount of money to spend in Montreal it should be easy by time to be better than every cap floor team.
The first step is taken, congratulations, now the right decisions need to follow.

Old
03-30-2012, 03:26 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../137495/public

some interesting names in there and reasoning
Good list and a bunch of good candidates.

... here's an interesting article about Roy, the coach. I'm still afraid of his strong personnality and lack of coaching experience in the NHL... but he might be the kind of coach needed in today's NHL.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/337754.html

Old
03-30-2012, 03:34 PM
habitue*

Larry Carrière as GM

Randy Ladouceur as head coach

Two anglos with French family names !

No one will notice.

We have already Bourque and Geoffrion as good team bases...

Old
03-30-2012, 03:38 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Good list and a bunch of good candidates.

... here's an interesting article about Roy, the coach. I'm still afraid of his strong personnality and lack of coaching experience in the NHL... but he might be the kind of coach needed in today's NHL.

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/337754.html
If that guy can put over 10,000 fans in the stands for 7 consecutive years to see Junior hockey, by assembling good entertaining teams, he can certainly do a good job at NHL level.

Yesterday he refused to tell the name of a team who contacted him for a job... But the habs was not that team.

Which team could it be ? Colorado ? Columbus ? the Future Nordiques ?

Old
03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Someone like Dave Lewis before going to Boston?

Old
03-30-2012, 04:45 PM
MarkovsKnee

If Canucks bow out of this year's play-offs early - which is possible since I have no faith in Luongo or the Sedin twins - it's possible Vigneault might become available. The Canucks looked ready to get rid of him last year then the team made the cup finals.

He's a much better coach now then the last time he was in Montreal. Plus, those Habs teams sucked. He has made the necessary adjustments for the new NHL. I like the style he's implemented in Vancouver, and he's a good special teams coach. He's also become much much better with the media since leaving Montreal.

I doubt he becomes available, but you never know. He meets all the criteria you want in a coach: solid NHL experience, intelligent hockey man yet personable (unlike say Ron Wilson who's just an ass hole), a good communicator & a francophone too.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:48 PM
shutehinside

I wonder if Scotty Bowman would get a call or even consider the role. The guy IS winning hockey and literally a living legend. Not
Quite sure what his relationship is with the Habs but if there's a more knowledgable hockey person on the planet, I'd like to meet him and throw his name into contention as well.
Scotty Bowman GM
Pierre McGuire AGM
Vincent Danphousse Player Development
Head coach ???
All bilingual, great knowledge and experience. Can't see much wrong with this list.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I wonder if Scotty Bowman would get a call or even consider the role. The guy IS winning hockey and literally a living legend. Not
Quite sure what his relationship is with the Habs but if there's a more knowledgable hockey person on the planet, I'd like to meet him and throw his name into contention as well.
Scotty Bowman GM
Pierre McGuire AGM
Head coach ???
All bilingual, great knowledge and experience. Can't see much wrong with this list.
Well, Scotty Bowman is almost 80 years old.

Old
03-30-2012, 04:59 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Scotty Bowman GM
Pierre McGuire AGM
Head coach ???
What has damphousse ever done to show he can handle Player development more than Timmins? People need to stop mentioning him.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:03 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What has damphousse ever done to show he can handle Player development more than Timmins? People need to stop mentioning him.
Whereas I agree with you 100% on Timmins, I think Damphousse will be put in the org. in some capacity. Timmins I'm sure will be kept as he's done a great job this far IMO. That and like it or not, Damphousse will probably be part of the org. in one way or another. He was part of the NHLPAs executive committee at the last agreement and did a fantastic job in mediating a resolution by most accounts.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:08 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I don't know if it was reported, but talking to Michel Villeneuve on the radio yesterday, Michel Bergeron said he would like to have a talk with Geoff Molson and Serge Savard over either job...

That's insane, and I haven't heard of anyone who thought this was a good idea. Didn't he almost have a heart attack doing that reality TV hockey show?

That would also mean that he would try to land a job in Quebec too....

Old
03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I don't know if it was reported, but talking to Michel Villeneuve on the radio yesterday, Michel Bergeron said he would like to have a talk with Geoff Molson and Serge Savard over either job...

That's insane, and I haven't heard of anyone who thought this was a good idea.
hahahahahahaha

Thank you for making my laugh .. good job.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
Frankenheimer

Are current GMs also under consideration? Someone from a successful small club willing to jump into the big leagues?

Closed Thread