HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Aren't The Leafs players giving the Fans exactly what they want....a top pick

Old
03-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Stephen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Seems like a weird complaint given Boyce, Dupuis, Crabb, Frattin and now Ashton's time with the Leafs. Not much on the back-end, but I wouldn't expect it. How many players did you expect to get long looks and push players for jobs? Even Kadri's had 20+ games to steal a spot.
Ideally, I would have liked to have seen Colborne get more intermediate callups as an injection of size down the middle earlier in the season, but he doesn't look like he's deserving of it anymore.

Mueller probably could have been auditioned a little in rotation with the Boyce and Crabb types just to keep a guy like Crabb on his toes more.

Even Mike Zigomanis probably should have been given some time as a center option. I don't see how would have done any worse than Lombardi.

Holzer probably could have gotten a quick look see given the major struggles of some of our defenders.

Anyway, I just find it a little silly to think they're growing this great team down there. These guys are okay prospects and should be used more frequently for evaluation and to push the slugs we have in the NHL.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:06 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Ideally, I would have liked to have seen Colborne get more intermediate callups as an injection of size down the middle earlier in the season, but he doesn't look like he's deserving of it anymore.

Mueller probably could have been auditioned a little in rotation with the Boyce and Crabb types just to keep a guy like Crabb on his toes more.

Even Mike Zigomanis probably should have been given some time as a center option. I don't see how would have done any worse than Lombardi.

Holzer probably could have gotten a quick look see given the major struggles of some of our defenders.

Anyway, I just find it a little silly to think they're growing this great team down there. These guys are okay prospects and should be used more frequently for evaluation and to push the slugs we have in the NHL.
Colborne didn't really earn it after he was sent down. Mueller's call-ups were taken by Kadri, Frattin, Boyce and Crabb so I don't see a huge issue there. Zigomanis has waiver issues, so he's not an option. Doesn't look like much of a point to be honest, frequency of the the call-ups was there, they just weren't necessarily the guys you wanted when you wanted them.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:14 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
It's been what 7 -8 years of craptastic hockey, trading away 1st rounders, horrible contracts and no playoffs to FINALLY get a top pick that's ours? At this pace, we'll have our team ready by 2045, oh **** they'll all retire by then, start the process over again/

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Mike1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
This may hurt now, but this is so much better than finishing 9th or 10th.

This is a blessing in disguise...a particularly brilliant disguise.
Agreed. This run to me is a huge potential blessing in disguise. A chance potentially at adding a core player moving forward.

Mike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1 View Post
Agreed. This run to me is a huge potential blessing in disguise. A chance potentially at adding a core player moving forward.
Yep. It's the silver lining, but it doesn't mean all this losing is easy...

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:26 PM
Soul Vibe Funk

They are not doing it intentionally. The leafs just blow thats all. They arent even tanking right now. They just suck so bad

Soul Vibe Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:38 PM
studebaker17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigleaf View Post
I don't get it. Why would a professional athlete shut it down? Would Wendel Clark, Doug Gilmour, Mats Sundin, Daryl Sittler shut it down? Not a chance. You play to win, you fight if you're getting lit up night after night. Have some pride. These players are gutless and embarassing.
every one of those players played on some bad teams also and were called out by the fans for not showing up. the sundin bashing was relentless in the late 90's. gilmour asked to be traded when the team went down hill, how much more of a quitter can you get ?

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 06:43 PM
studebaker17

so what does it matter if they showed up and put in the effort as many of you are saying ? it would mean a few more wins and probably still be out of the playoffs. you can't have it both ways. lottery teams are bad hockey teams,or at least put together a bad season, every one of them, that's why their there. if a team is in it every night they'll win their fair share.

studebaker17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:17 PM
Terrence
Homeless

No. As a fan, I wanted the playoffs. A top 5 pick is merely a Consolation Prize.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:31 PM
beauchamp

Nope.

What the real fans want is a Cup, or at least a good run in the playoffs.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Ricky Bobby

People just need to complain out of frustration.

When Komisarek fights Lucic people still don't give him credit for caring.

When Connolly shows some passion and fights Marchand analysts say he shouldn't be fighting.

When Armstrong gets feed by Sedienberg people complain he can't stay healthy.

The fact is this team simply isn't very good. We are weak in goal and weak at center. How can you expect to go anywhere with Bozak as your 1st line center combined with bottom 5 goaltending of any team in the league?

We had 3 players carry this team in Lupul, Kessel and Phaneuf in the first half and as soon as they started to faulter just a little the rest of the team wasn't there to pick up the slack mostly cause they aren't good enough or not quite ready for primetime (Kadri, Schenn, Colborne).

Until this team get better goaltending and find upgrades to eat up the top minutes at forward that currently go to Bozak, Connolly and CMac we're going to continue to not be any good.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:54 PM
HOCKEYGOON

There's a difference between E-Fans and casual fans.

I was at work watching us get our butt kicked by Philly and I kept mentioning "Oh well, I guess it gives us a better shot at Yakupov" and most people didn't know who Yakupov was or how good that would be.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:15 PM
Rude Dog

I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio today that Carlyle's pre-game skates are harder then anyone else in the league ? I think I heard them say he had them ride a stationary bike for an hour at 3pm on a game day. At least I think I heard that ?

I'm no professional athlete, but how the heck does that make sense? I've played competitive sports my entire life and the thought of wasting energy the day of a game makes zero sense to me. Could that be part of the reason the team has look so un-inspired ?

Regardless, I think Burke has done a decent job assembling prospects who will fill the 2nd - 4th lines. But outside Kessel, they still need at least two more franchise type of players. Hopefully this year we get one of them and unfortunately perhaps next year as well.

Rude Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:57 AM
MajorityRules
Sior Gaisgeil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midna View Post
I wanted a top pick, sure. But I wanted the team to be GOOD and finish last. Not be BAD and finish last!

Do you not realize how stupid that sounds?

MajorityRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:21 AM
Evileye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post
I'm pretty sure I heard on the radio today that Carlyle's pre-game skates are harder then anyone else in the league ? I think I heard them say he had them ride a stationary bike for an hour at 3pm on a game day. At least I think I heard that ?

I'm no professional athlete, but how the heck does that make sense? I've played competitive sports my entire life and the thought of wasting energy the day of a game makes zero sense to me. Could that be part of the reason the team has look so un-inspired ?

Regardless, I think Burke has done a decent job assembling prospects who will fill the 2nd - 4th lines. But outside Kessel, they still need at least two more franchise type of players. Hopefully this year we get one of them and unfortunately perhaps next year as well.
That's because Carlyle is in on the tank.
He wants to add elite talent at the draft that he can work with so he's running this bunch down before games to ensure they lose - brilliant!

Evileye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Tinalera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rude Dog View Post

The little I've read and heard is that Carlyle has been rather unimpressed at the Leafs conditioning. I don't know what riding the stationary bike does, but I think right now he is sending a message not so much now, but next season-how much work they're going to have to do over the summer.

He may feel part of the reason they feel apart (my guess) in Feb is that weren't conditioned and enough and have run out gas. Again though, I haven't played sports, so I don't know the mindset of a 1 hour bikeride on gameday

Tinalera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:58 AM
mapes

Honestly this is better than playoffs (even though its been forever). We really need to draft and develop (potentially) elite talent. I mean if we get Forsberg, Yakapuv or Grigs.. That's some good players and without our top 2 goalies (even though they've been bad) I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose every single game and possibly finish 29th and guarentee us a top 3 pick. Worst case, we get 4th or 5th overall and make a deal with Edmonton (as I'm sure they want Dumba or another top Dman).

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote