HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens / Rangers rivalry....

Old
03-30-2012, 09:07 PM
MisterY

vCash: 500
Canadiens / Rangers rivalry....

Hi everybody,

I'm a habs fan, and I recently had a discussion with some friends about the great rivlaries our club have now and had in the past. We were trying to figure what are the biggest rivalry with our club. Of course, when the Nordiques were there it was special, maybe a little like your rivalry with the Islanders... but much more intense (believe me!).

Some said the greatest rivalry (for the Habs) is Boston, others said the Leafs.

But I always thought there was a big rivalry between the habs and the Rangers, even though it might be less important nowadays cause we haven't met you in playoffs since I don't remember when... The answer I got most from my friends is that it's true the games against the Rangers are usually great games, but we don't hate the Rangers... (we hate Leafs and Bruins though...)

Nevertheless, I noticed that the games in regular season between our two teams are almost always very good games, intense and everything... That's why, when asked what team would you like to see most if you have free tickets to Bell Center, my answer was the Rangers. It's always exciting games.

What do you think about that? Do you feel that way too?

(pardon my english, it's not my first language)

MisterY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
I ****ing hate the Montreal Canadiens. Can't beat them in their stupid building and that 5 goal lead still hurts. BUT, they really aren't much of a rival.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:16 PM
Kane One

vCash: 1000
Montreal-Rangers is not even close to a rivalry. Boston is easily your biggest rival, no matter what anyone says.

But if you want to see a win, choose the Rangers. It seems we never win there.

03-30-2012, 09:23 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekz View Post
I ****ing hate the Montreal Canadiens. Can't beat them in their stupid building and that 5 goal lead still hurts. BUT, they really aren't much of a rival.
I was at this game! I don't have the chance to go to Bell Center a lot of times, I go two, maybe three times a year (only once this season though... didn't miss much anyway), but that game is probably my greatest memory in Bell Center...

I came back in the Subway, and the atmosphere was incredible!

@ kaneone : of course Boston is our greatest rivlary, cause we seem to meet them every times in playoffs... and there is a lot of history... the incident Chara / Pacioretty might be the last known chapter...

But don't dismiss our rivalry with the Leafs... if that team find one day a way to not suck, it could be very intense!

Old
03-30-2012, 09:42 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Not really a rivalry, but they always show up to play hard against each other

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Flyers, Devils, Penguins, Bruins, Canadiens. That is the order in which I see the rivalries of the Rangers

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Stepanformayor*

Sorry fellas the Canadiens are the worst team in hockey.. Hands down! No guts or heart..

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Sorry fellas the Canadiens are the worst team in hockey.. Hands down! No guts or heart..
Based on tonight or this season... maybe...

but you can't be serious unless you know nothing about hockey. Maybe your hate control your thoughts....

Old
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Stepanformayor*

No hate for anyone.. Just calling it as i see it. Have you watched this team recently? Or maybe because your a Canadiens fan you think you know more about the game than the rest of us? You have to be living in a cave not see this team has no guts or heart.. There pathetic!

Old
03-30-2012, 10:07 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I have no hatred for Montreal, not Philly and Pitt that is another story having said that they are one of the few organizations I like. They just have been horrible over the last few years and I am not sure if it will get better.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Machinehead
TG15:WoodlandCritter

I just hate everyone

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
OverTheCap

It doesn't compare with the divisional rivalries, but I hate the Canadiens and their fans with a passion. I always get a kick out of beating the Habs.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:19 PM
trilobyte

It was always very big. Speaking as someone who grew up surrounded by Leafs and Habs fans, over the time I have been watching the Rangers, I believe the Rangers-Habs rivalry was way bigger and better than Rangers -Leafs.
I became a Rangers nut back when the GAG (goal-a-game) line got going.

The Rangers had players like Gilbert, Ratelle, Villemure, and many others over the years who were top players. Combine that with the rabid love of hockey that Montreal and the entire province of Quebec has always had, and it was fireworks.

Whenever the Rangers play the Habs, it always becomes an important game for me, unlike a game against the Predators or the Ducks.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:20 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Devils
Flyers
Islanders
Americans
Maroons
Penguins
Bruins
Canadiens
Maple Leafs
Capitals
Whalers

Those are the Rangers most prominent rivals through their history.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:38 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
No hate for anyone.. Just calling it as i see it. Have you watched this team recently? Or maybe because your a Canadiens fan you think you know more about the game than the rest of us? You have to be living in a cave not see this team has no guts or heart.. There pathetic!
I have seen almost every game, don't worry. And I certainly don't think I know the game better than anyone of you. But you said Canadiens are the worst team in hockey... come on! They have a bad season, the worst since... well, my birth I guess! But the worst team in hockey? Sorry but if you really believe that it's either a lack of knowledge or simply hate.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:43 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Devils
Flyers
Islanders
Americans
Maroons
Penguins
Bruins
Canadiens
Maple Leafs
Capitals
Whalers

Those are the Rangers most prominent rivals through their history.
The Maroons? Come on! The Americans? They disappeared in 1942. You can't seriously believe that those rivalries are stronger that the one Canadiens / Rangers have... or had over the history...

Guys, I'm not here to fight with you but be serious....

Old
03-30-2012, 10:47 PM
MisterY

By the way, I really think you have a team that will make a long run this year in playoffs. Only the Pens can stop you...

If you make the finale, my bet is you bring back the cup to New York. Or the Pens will... I don't think the cup will go to western conference. Mmmmmmmaybe the Canucks, but I doubt it...

Old
03-30-2012, 10:49 PM
trilobyte

I do not agree with anybody who says that the Rangers - Canadiens rivalry was not big over the years.

The Americans, The Maroons

Yeah, sure.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:52 PM
NCRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterY View Post
The Maroons? Come on! The Americans? They disappeared in 1942. You can't seriously believe that those rivalries are stronger that the one Canadiens / Rangers have... or had over the history...

Maybe not stronger NOW, but historically those teams were more directly involved in Ranger lore than the Canadiens.

The Rangers beat the Maroons for the Cup in the Rangers' second year in the league with Lester Patrick (the 40-something year old coach) taking over in goal.

The Americans play a large part in the "curse" of 1940.

The Canadiens? The two teams have met in a few playoff series, and maybe if Bunny Laroque wasn't conked in the head before Game #2 of the Finals in '79, and the Rangers won that series, there might be more of a rivarly at leat from the Ranger side.

NCRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Stepanformayor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It doesn't compare with the divisional rivalries, but I hate the Canadiens and their fans with a passion. I always get a kick out of beating the Habs.
IMO the Canadiens are one of the great franchises of the past in all of sports and i do respect what they brought to the game, at one time.. I personally do not hate the Habs or their fans.. I do however resent their fans at times because they think because they may have had great teams 50 year's ago they know more about the game than the rest of us. I can appreiciate your loyalty to your team and the acomplishments from your past , but it's also time to start realizing that was along time ago and those days are never coming back. And yes right now, IMO the Canadiens because of the lack of Passion-heart and guts their the worst team in hockey.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterY View Post

Um...yeah, pick up a book and read...

The Americans and Rangers were BITTER rivals. The hatred ran deeper and more profound and had a dynamic probably more deep than probably any rivalry in the sport...ever. No matter how short lived.

The Americans were promised something that was stolen from them, literally, forced to relocate to another burro, and then denied the right to exist after sacrificing their players for the war effort.

That rivalry would be the Islanders v Rangers rivalry ten fold.

Sorry, but you need to read up in this. Just because YOU weren't alive for it, doesn't make it less important.

And the Maroons were THE team in hockey. They were the team to beat. The Rangers specifically targeted the Maroons to launch their early success. If they could piggy back on the Maroons prominent name, and their star players, and beat them, then the Rangers could be a success. It worked.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:57 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post
Maybe not stronger NOW, but historically those teams were more directly involved in Ranger lore than the Canadiens.

The Rangers beat the Maroons for the Cup in the Rangers' second year in the league with Lester Patrick (the 40-something year old coach) taking over in goal.

The Canadiens? The two teams have met in a few playoff series, and maybe if Bunny Laroque wasn't conked in the head before Game #2 of the Finals in '79, and the Rangers won that series, there might be more of a rivarly at leat from the Ranger side.
I suppose it is a matter of perspective. Technically, the 'modern era' of the NHL started in what, the '30's?

In my post about this, I'm talking more about the 1970's and on. I spoke mostly from my own view. But, I do know that the Rangers had enough French Canadian players that it really did matter to Canadiens' fans. Hockey was a pretty close-knit community in those days of the Original Six.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:02 PM
MorrisWanchuk

the Rangers were formed to be the rival to the Americans.

Anyway - i don't think we really have a rivalry with Montreal. Good games though usually.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:02 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRanger View Post

Even so, there is no way that some rivalries that happen 70 years ago and didn't evolved since then, cause the Maroons and the Americans disappeared, can beat the rivalry that Rangers and Habs built over the years, while not as strong as other rivalries that both our teams faced...

I'm not very old (35), but I do remember that Habs beat the Rangers in 1986 (thanks to Roy) in their path to the cup. And since Habs and Rangers are both original six teams, I can't believe for a second that the rivalry between Maroons and Americans are stronger in history than two teams that competed with each other for more than 85 years....

Old
03-30-2012, 11:12 PM
SnowblindNYR

MisterY, I hope you don't take a few posts by one or two posters to heart. Anyway, I don't see these hard fought games lately. It seems one team is usually blowing out the other in its own building. We're not quite as proficient at blowing you guys out at MSG as you are in Montreal, but it seems like the games are blowouts quite often. This year alone saw 3 blowouts and one 5-3 game where the Rangers had a 3-0 lead at one point, as well as a 4-2 lead with like a minute to go.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote