HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Burke's principles = doom

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-30-2012, 06:36 PM
  #1
GNOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Burke's principles = doom

Its over before it even begins. I mean next year. Burkie believes he knows best and operates under his own rules. Early trade deadline, check. Shorter contracts, check, and etc.

With all the other teams willing to offer elite players more years and stability and less pressure, why does anyone think anything will change next year. Even our goalie situation, which FINALLY seems to be on the radar, will not gain us a game changer.

Burke has handcuffed himself, why should a player get less from the leafs when eveywhere else will pay more and longer term (stability for the player, would you do it in their place).

Burke will change some pieces this summer, but nothing that will change the end result of the Burke era. These are dark times, Dougie is spinning in his bed.

Once Burke leaves, please let the next GM want to win games more than contract negotiations.

GNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:25 PM
  #2
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,591
vCash: 500
One thing I will never do is fault Burke for not offering insane long term deals. Say what you will about his signings, at least we arent stuck with them for a decade (or more).

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
  #3
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
One thing I will never do is fault Burke for not offering insane long term deals. Say what you will about his signings, at least we arent stuck with them for a decade (or more).
Doesn't really seem that bad to be stuck with Kovalchuk for a decade when you think about it...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:29 PM
  #4
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Doesn't really seem that bad to be stuck with Kovalchuk for a decade when you think about it...
Let me know in 12 years how hes playing.

And Kovulchuk is bad example. Lou Lam never wanted to offer him that deal. It was forced on him by ownership. Many people think Lou is one of the best GMs in the business. If he doesnt like them, doesnt that make you think maybe its not a good diea?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:39 PM
  #5
ITM
Registered User
 
ITM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 944
vCash: 500
Way too many people are not seeing the realities that confronted this franchise during his time here. I personally like Burke's principles and think the intention behind them, really seeks to consider the player - the human being, and the fans in doing so.

It would be informative to collect all of the targets once rumoured to have been on Burke's list...I think you'd find that there were realistic hopes of landing the Sedins, Kesler, amongst others. Most likely an oversight by Burke in thinking, his loyalty to them would result in their loyalty to him.

If players had principles like Burke did, you'd see a much different team and certainly a much different product.

Say what you will about Brian Burke, but I for one love his dedication and the swagger he's attempted to instill in a club that seems frozen with fear and insecurity. For goodness sake...at least the man hopes out loud...our locker room is reduced to a nightly pull string of tired cliches and prozac passive parroting...The best thing about the Toronto Maple Leafs right now, is Brian Burke...and a lot of people are missing it...missing it by a country mile.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:49 PM
  #6
egd27
#freethebigpicture
 
egd27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,633
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Doesn't really seem that bad to be stuck with Kovalchuk for a decade when you think about it...
Sure. For the first 3 or 4 years anyway. The last 5 or 6? Maybe, maybe not.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:59 PM
  #7
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Sure. For the first 3 or 4 years anyway. The last 5 or 6? Maybe, maybe not.
That's the deal with the devil all teams seem to do, and they're all more successful.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:12 PM
  #8
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr
 
MountainGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Let me know in 12 years how hes playing.

And Kovulchuk is bad example. Lou Lam never wanted to offer him that deal. It was forced on him by ownership. Many people think Lou is one of the best GMs in the business. If he doesnt like them, doesnt that make you think maybe its not a good diea?
you say this as if it were a fact, link? or did you pull this out of your ***, if Lou "didn't like" Kovalchuk he wouldn't have traded for him

Kovy has been a great fit for the Devils, easily the best player for us this year, he's bought into the system and became a better two way forward

no one forces Lou's hand, theres a reason why he's been the Devils GM since the 80's

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:18 PM
  #9
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
you say this as if it were a fact, link? or did you pull this out of your ***, if Lou "didn't like" Kovalchuk he wouldn't have traded for him

Kovy has been a great fit for the Devils, easily the best player for us this year, he's bought into the system and became a better two way forward

no one forces Lou's hand, theres a reason why he's been the Devils GM since the 80's
Um, what? Its pretty widely known. I didnt say he didnt want him. He didnt want him for the contract NJ ownership offered him.

Quote:
“You’d have to speak to ownership about that,” Lamoriello said. “The commitment that ownership has made here, this is a commitment and a decision they wanted to make for this type of a player and all I can do is say whether the player is a player that will fit into the team, can help the team and is not a risk as a player. As far as what the financial commitment is and that aspect of it, that was out of my hands.
http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f..._part_of_nhl1/

Care to retract your statement about me talking out of my *** now?


Last edited by blasted_Sabre: 03-30-2012 at 08:28 PM.
blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
  #10
MountainGoat
Re-sign Jagr
 
MountainGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sarnia, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Um, what? Its pretty widely known. I didnt say he didnt want him. He didnt want him for the contract NJ ownership offered him.



http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f..._part_of_nhl1/
your still reaching, doesn't say that at all in the article

MountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:46 PM
  #11
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,591
vCash: 500
NVM.

You'll see what you want to see

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:50 PM
  #12
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
you say this as if it were a fact, link? or did you pull this out of your ***, if Lou "didn't like" Kovalchuk he wouldn't have traded for him

Kovy has been a great fit for the Devils, easily the best player for us this year, he's bought into the system and became a better two way forward

no one forces Lou's hand, theres a reason why he's been the Devils GM since the 80's
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Um, what? Its pretty widely known. I didnt say he didnt want him. He didnt want him for the contract NJ ownership offered him.



http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f..._part_of_nhl1/

Care to retract your statement about me talking out of my *** now?

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:52 PM
  #13
Lobstertainment
Registered User
 
Lobstertainment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,250
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
One thing I will never do is fault Burke for not offering insane long term deals. Say what you will about his signings, at least we arent stuck with them for a decade (or more).
No other teams are stuck with them and we get the B/C options for a year or two that do nothing.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:56 PM
  #14
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstertainment View Post
No other teams are stuck with them and we get the B/C options for a year or two that do nothing.
Dipietro?

Give Kovulchuk, Richards, Carter another 6 or 7 years when they're on the decline and then ask their fanbases how they feel about paying a premium for an aging has been for another few years.

EDIT - How do you think Vancouver feels about having to deal with Luongo's massive question marks for the next decade?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:01 PM
  #15
GNOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 9
vCash: 500
Restricting oneself to harsher more limiting negotiating conditions will never bring in the best players. These elite players are not dumb. Their skills and results have earned them the right to get the most the league can offer. Their careers are uncertain and short most of the times. It is their right to get the most security possible, especially when it is within the rules. Their is a clear price to pay for a Crosby, Malkin, etc. Don't want to pay it, well don't, just don't be shocked when the results reflect this type of behavior. Calling it the high ground is a joke. We pay the highest seat prices in the NHL. Guess what is good for the goose doesn't apply to the gander. This will be Burkes last summer as Leaf GM. Book it.

GNOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:07 PM
  #16
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North
 
blasted_Sabre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Muskoka
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNOT View Post
Restricting oneself to harsher more limiting negotiating conditions will never bring in the best players. These elite players are not dumb. Their skills and results have earned them the right to get the most the league can offer. Their careers are uncertain and short most of the times. It is their right to get the most security possible, especially when it is within the rules. Their is a clear price to pay for a Crosby, Malkin, etc. Don't want to pay it, well don't, just don't be shocked when the results reflect this type of behavior. Calling it the high ground is a joke. We pay the highest seat prices in the NHL. Guess what is good for the goose doesn't apply to the gander. This will be Burkes last summer as Leaf GM. Book it.
I fully expect the next CBA will have a term limit in it.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:13 PM
  #17
Quarter
Exploding Knees
 
Quarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,250
vCash: 500
But OP, you're really scolding him to limit his signings and acquisitions to shorter terms than 5 or 6 years? Has this board/fanbase seriously run out of things to complain about? Oh wait, this is Leafs Nation. I forgot that we'd complain about Kessel taping his socks with white tape instead of clear tape because it forces him to use up valuable strength before the game has even started...


Last edited by danishh: 03-31-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:05 AM
  #18
Cogburn
Registered User
 
Cogburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,724
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
EDIT - How do you think Vancouver feels about having to deal with Luongo's massive question marks for the next decade?
Save a few haters in our blue and green, pretty well. 29 wins, 920 save percentage and a 2.41 gaa isn't bad at all for the cap hit. The NTC and length I know are what you're referring too, but he's had great numbers with terrible teams (including our first few teams with Lu in net), and his records indicate he won't have a sudden nose dive in the quality of his play. Plus, out clauses at 5 and 7 years in if need be.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:12 AM
  #19
darrylsittler27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
slap some lipstick on that pig...

Still dont want to pay the price for him.We wont win for years,just the fact of that matter.Luongo wont be the same here and do you really want to give up 2 lottery picks for him.Have we learned nothing from Neidermayer,Kessel trades?Short cuts wont work here,we are Toronto.And not only arent we not close,we are probably the 2nd or 3rd worst team in the nhl.Crosby couldnt save this team.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:32 AM
  #20
dirk41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Let me know in 12 years how hes playing.


He'll retire when his contract dips to $1,000,000 and the contract won't count against the cap.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:38 AM
  #21
binop7
Registered User
 
binop7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
I fully expect the next CBA will have a term limit in it.
I really doubt that.

binop7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:16 AM
  #22
darrylsittler27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,043
vCash: 500
Take out the Beauchmin trade..

And you have the worst team in the NHL,now that is progress.Here is another thought,if Burke did nothing,this team would be better off.And i conclusion your honour...In 2 years Kessel walks away for nothing!Yep everyone else is stupid but Komisarek = 5 million,Grabo is 5.5,Schenn is 3.5,Connolly is 4.75 and Armstrong is worth 3 million.He givess Wilson an extension because veryone else is stupid,then fires him.What is this an Abbot and Costello routine....

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:19 AM
  #23
MorriPage
Registered User
 
MorriPage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
What is this an Abbot and Costello routine....
No, Abbott and Costello were actually funny. This whole mess makes me want to punch puppies.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:28 AM
  #24
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada/Africa
Posts: 3,087
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNOT View Post
Its over before it even begins. I mean next year. Burkie believes he knows best and operates under his own rules. Early trade deadline, check. Shorter contracts, check, and etc.

With all the other teams willing to offer elite players more years and stability and less pressure, why does anyone think anything will change next year. Even our goalie situation, which FINALLY seems to be on the radar, will not gain us a game changer.

Burke has handcuffed himself, why should a player get less from the leafs when eveywhere else will pay more and longer term (stability for the player, would you do it in their place).

Burke will change some pieces this summer, but nothing that will change the end result of the Burke era. These are dark times, Dougie is spinning in his bed.

Once Burke leaves, please let the next GM want to win games more than contract negotiations.


Burke believes that his 25+ years in the league gives him a certain level of expertise. I would tend to agree. And although he has a high level of autonomy, he has surrounded himself with an executive committee which is there to consult with, and offer insight, and even challenge him if they disagree. Thats a lot to assume on your part. His comments about a trade deadline freeze were to the effect that it was tabled and discussed with the front office. Doesn't sound like the workings of a power mad megalomaniac you're suggesting. And reasonable length contracts in order to rein in undue sense of entitlement instead of dropping a fortune on CBA circumventing deals that won't be honoured seems like a better way to do things over the long haul. The league agrees, apparently, which is why the Kovalchuk deal was overturned...

Your comments regarding the G situation is a head scratcher. Maybe its just the wording Im struggling with. Unless you've got a crystal ball, thats just conjecture on your part. You have no way of predicting what Burke will do this summer to address goaltending. The experts all agree that the results of the playoffs will factor greatly in who is available in the off season and who is not.


Burke has handcuffed himself---how, exactly--by NOT HANDCUFFING HIMSELF to a ridiculous contract or two which could ultimately cost the team a shot at building a legit contender? Thats a stretch.

And to suggest that further damaging a fragile franchise by fracturing it even more through the act of once again replacing the front office is the exact mentality that has kept this organization grounded for decades.

Is Burke omnipotent? not at all. Infallible? Nope. But he's none of what you suggest in this rant either.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:17 AM
  #25
1927
Maj. Conn Smythe
 
1927's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brock, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
It is good that Brian Burke does not give out long-term contracts. The Devils are given as an example with Kovalchuk, but people should look at the Brian Rolston deal in 2008 free agency where the Devils paid an aging forward $5,062,500 cap hit for four years to become a mid 30 point player for the entire contract.

The Devils were desperate to get rid of Rolston's cap hit and luckily the Islanders were willing to take on the salary for cap floor reasons. Will history repeat itself for the Devils in 10 years time? We will have to see but the odds are favorable where this might be the case for a declining Kovalchuk at his cap hit.

1927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.