HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Will the Flyers carry an Enforcer next year?

Old
03-30-2012, 06:29 PM
ninetynine*

vCash: 500
Will the Flyers carry an Enforcer next year?

It seems to be possible for the first time in more than 40 years. Even if Jody Shelley makes the team [hopefully] he'll likely not get very many games [14th forward]. Sestito, if re-signed, is insane but not really an enforcer.

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:00 PM
Gert B Frobe

Sestito will have a chance to make the team. No idea what they will do with Shelley. Tough to have him taking up a roster spot with that stupid contract and not even play at all.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:08 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Sestito will have a chance to make the team. No idea what they will do with Shelley. Tough to have him taking up a roster spot with that stupid contract and not even play at all.
I'm not sure how he got that contract. 34 year-old enforcers don't generally get 3-year contracts with a cap hit of 1.1 million dollars a year. Homer must have been in competition for his services. If he fits it's going to be a really close, but he's an interesting fighter and seems like a class act, so I hope he makes it if he can fit within the roster and cap limit (even by $1).

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
I'm not sure how he got that contract. 34 year-old enforcers don't generally get 3-year contracts with a cap hit of 1.1 million dollars a year. Homer must have been in competition for his services. If he fits it's going to be a really close, but he's an interesting fighter and seems like a class act, so I hope he makes it if he can fit within the roster and cap limit (even by $1).
I believe it was because the Atlantic really beefed up that year. The Isles signed Konopka, who just came off of a season where he led the NHL in fights. Also, NYR had just signed Boogard to an even sicker contract.

Still a stupid signing, but I think that's why.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 08:41 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
There is just so much forward depth on this team so I don't see them playing a regular enforcer (Sestito/Shelley) unless they move a forward to free up cap for a top D-man. Rinaldo I can see staying on the checking line and Sestito on the fourth line if they decide to get rid of a forward to free up cash for Suter. If they don't free up the cash for a D I am sure Sestito will be scratched and Rinaldo will be playing on the fourth line. At least until injuries.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Flyerfan4life

i think rinaldo brings everything this team needs going forward from a bruiser..

while he might not be a heavyweight. who cares he will drop gloves with anyone.

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:37 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
There is just so much forward depth on this team so I don't see them playing a regular enforcer (Sestito/Shelley) unless they move a forward to free up cap for a top D-man. Rinaldo I can see staying on the checking line and Sestito on the fourth line if they decide to get rid of a forward to free up cash for Suter. If they don't free up the cash for a D I am sure Sestito will be scratched and Rinaldo will be playing on the fourth line. At least until injuries.
Rinaldo shouldn't be anywhere near a true checking line. He is what he is, a fourth line pest/agitator.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Hopefully the fourth line looks something like Sestito-Talbot-Rinaldo next year. Move Briere to wing and let G, Schenn, and Cooter be top three centers. Fill in wings as needed.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Hopefully the fourth line looks something like Sestito-Talbot-Rinaldo next year. Move Briere to wing and let G, Schenn, and Cooter be top three centers. Fill in wings as needed.
Assuming Jagr is the only forward gone, who sits? Wellwood?

Old
03-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That leaves 5 spots for Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek, JVR, Read, Wellwood and Jagr.

I'd leave Sestito in the AHL until someone gets hurt.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Wellwood, if he showed what he is doing now, would be more important then having Sestito and Rinaldo on that 4th line.

I would actually like to have a real 4th line center since Talbot cant win faceoffs for ****.

Actually for this season, if JVR comes back a Wellwood-Couturier-Talbot 4th line could be matched against the Crosby/Malkin etc etc.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Damaged Goods

Will the Flyers roll four scoring lines next year? It seems to be possible for the first time in more than 40 years.

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
JVR - Read - Wellwood
Talbot - Couturier - Voracek

Edit: Heck, they could roll those lines starting in about 2-3 weeks.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Sestito most likely. With Mathers in the future.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Wellwood, if he showed what he is doing now, would be more important then having Sestito and Rinaldo on that 4th line.

I would actually like to have a real 4th line center since Talbot cant win faceoffs for ****.

Actually for this season, if JVR comes back a Wellwood-Couturier-Talbot 4th line could be matched against the Crosby/Malkin etc etc.
I don't won't Wellwood to sit either. I was trying to find out who would sit in his line up, and I assumed it would be him. I can't look up the stats right now, but has Talbot really been that bad as faceoffs? While it wouldn't be the end of the world if he ended up centering the 4th line next year, it would be nice to have a stud faceoff man.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:06 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Will the Flyers roll four scoring lines next year? It seems to be possible for the first time in more than 40 years.

Hartnell - Giroux - Jagr
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
JVR - Read - Wellwood
Talbot - Couturier - Voracek
Looks sexy but some players are just wasted getting less minutes. Also rolling four scoring lines doesn't work.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:10 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Looks sexy but some players are just wasted getting less minutes. Also rolling four scoring lines doesn't work.
If Lavvy was committed to really rolling all four lines, those reduced minutes for a lot of players would allow them to ratchet up the intensity to an even higher level than they do now. Talk about being a "giddy-up and go team"...

Old
03-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
If Lavvy was committed to really rolling all four lines, those reduced minutes for a lot of players would allow them to ratchet up the intensity to an even higher level than they do now. Talk about being a "giddy-up and go team"...
All nice but still wouldn't work. Your taking away minutes from Giroux and JVR. If they are the players we think they are then they need to play close around 20 mins a game. The lack of grit in the lower lines is concerning. Against the physically skilled teams we will have matchup problems(Bruins, Rangers, etc).

Old
03-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
All nice but still wouldn't work. Your taking away minutes from Giroux and JVR. If they are the players we think they are then they need to play close around 20 mins a game. The lack of grit in the lower lines is concerning. Against the physically skilled teams we will have matchup problems(Bruins, Rangers, etc).
-Who says I am not taking minutes away from Jagr and Briere instead?

-This is the current lineup except that JVR is substituted for Rinaldo. Do you really think Zach Rinaldo and his 7:25 a night solves our matchup problems against the Bruins, Rangers and Penguins? And what about their matchup problems vs us? I don't see how you're getting more out of this forward group by promoting Rinaldo or Sestito and giving them limited ice team rather than skating one of your better forwards.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
-Who says I am not taking minutes away from Jagr and Briere instead?

-This is the current lineup except that JVR is substituted for Rinaldo. Do you really think Zach Rinaldo and his 7:25 a night solves our matchup problems against the Bruins, Rangers and Penguins? And what about their matchup problems vs us? I don't see how you're getting more out of this forward group by promoting Rinaldo or Sestito and giving them limited ice team rather than skating one of your better forwards.
Rinaldo has been playing in a checking role against the top players in the game in this stretch run. Its clear on what role they want to groom him in. He is decent defensively and he continues to work hard at it. Add his speed, physicality and agitating skills he will be a great bottom line player in the future if he continues to mature. PL obviously disagrees with you.

Sestito is the only guy in our system who could player the enforcer role but also play the game. The problem with people who think like you is you look at **** on paper and think its the best way or its going to work. There are intangibles and variables of an NHL roster.

I want guys like Wellwood to make the NHL. But we have so many forwards and simply playing all skilled ones in every spot just doesn't work like that. You need the grinders and muckers who fight for pucks in the corners. Bang bodys and wear out the defense. Make the top line players feel and play bigger. Work hard on every shift. They are very valuable come playoff time. Because of the grind and energy they can inject into the lineup.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:38 PM
PJStock*

Sestito is a joke, bushleague player, and a marginal 4th line NHL'er even on terrible teams... he doesn't deserve a spot with the Flyers. I'd much rather see Shelley eat up Sestito's ice time if it comes to that, although neither of these goons would have a roster spot if it was up to me.

PJStock* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Rinaldo has been playing in a checking role against the top players in the game in this stretch run. Its clear on what role they want to groom him in. He is decent defensively and he continues to work hard at it. Add his speed, physicality and agitating skills he will be a great bottom line player in the future if he continues to mature. PL obviously disagrees with you.

Sestito is the only guy in our system who could player the enforcer role but also play the game. The problem with people who think like you is you look at **** on paper and think its the best way or its going to work. There are intangibles and variables of an NHL roster.

I want guys like Wellwood to make the NHL. But we have so many forwards and simply playing all skilled ones in every spot just doesn't work like that. You need the grinders and muckers who fight for pucks in the corners. Bang bodys and wear out the defense. Make the top line players feel and play bigger. Work hard on every shift. They are very valuable come playoff time. Because of the grind and energy they can inject into the lineup.
The only player with a lower Corsi of any type and +/- ON/60 is Jody Shelley, all while managing to get the third least TOI/60, in front of Shelley and scrabbles. Rinaldo is in no way, shape, or form an above average defensive hockey player.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
Sestito is a joke, bushleague player, and a marginal 4th line NHL'er even on terrible teams... he doesn't deserve a spot with the Flyers. I'd much rather see Shelley eat up Sestito's ice time if it comes to that, although neither of these goons would have a roster spot if it was up to me.
Shelley's career is over. He is a waste. Sestito might not be a top fighter but he can move around well enough to make a hit. Could actually help sustain a forecheck. That is at least a upside IF we dress him on nights we might need him. Shelley is probably the worse Flyers enforcer. Scott Daniels is better and he sucked. At least he went toe to toe and made it entertaining even when he got beat down.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
The only player with a lower Corsi of any type and +/- ON/60 is Jody Shelley, all while managing to get the third least TOI/60, in front of Shelley and scrabbles. Rinaldo is in no way, shape, or form an above average defensive hockey player.
But yet somehow he plays a checking role and they are grooming him into a penalty killer next year. At most right now he is above average. If he isn't hell then he is average.

Stats are so misleading. Watch the game closely. Watch ALL of the players closely. The eye test will never lie. That Corsi stat is flawed so i don't care much for it.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Quote:
That leaves 5 spots for Hartnell, Simmonds, Voracek, JVR, Read, Wellwood and Jagr.

I'd leave Sestito in the AHL until someone gets hurt.
I think it all depends on what happens this offseason. Voracek and Jagr still need to be re-signed. I assume Voracek will and I hope Jagr will, but I think they have to do something to get a defender (either through trade or FA). I know some people don't agree, but it wouldn't surprise me (nor would I have a problem with it) if JvR is moved for a defender. I don't think they are going to go into next season with essentially the same forwards. Someone will not be returning, if you ask me. I'm not necessarily saying they should make a trade, but they need defense and if they can't get Suter through FA I could easily see them dealing someone to get a different guy (or if they have to clear some space I could see them dealing someone for picks to make room). If that's the case then I think Sestito and Rinaldo out there would be a tough line to play against. That being said, I didn't factor Wellwood in to my initial response. If he keeps his play up he deserves to be given the spot next year if no other moves are made (meaning it would be his to lose in training camp).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:56 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I don't know what they should do with Jagr.

I like him would love for him to play one more year with us but another part of me wants to let him walk and give JVR and Wellwood increased roles.