HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
shutehinside

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I don't know if it was reported, but talking to Michel Villeneuve on the radio yesterday, Michel Bergeron said he would like to have a talk with Geoff Molson and Serge Savard over either job...

That's insane, and I haven't heard of anyone who thought this was a good idea. Didn't he almost have a heart attack doing that reality TV hockey show?

That would also mean that he would try to land a job in Quebec too....
He'd have a better chance if he got down on his knees and prayed to God.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

With all due respect to all Hab fans...

All of this insane speculation is in futility.

Its not our decision... its Molson's (obviously).

Me? I'll just wait for the announcement, and comment afterwards.

Hopefully the Rangers sink the Habs tonight... by a single goal... with lots of points by all our core players

Say 6 - 5 Rangers

Old
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
Frankenheimer

Whoever the Nashville GM is should be taken into account, same with SJ. Successful clubs every year.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:31 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I don't know if it was reported, but talking to Michel Villeneuve on the radio yesterday, Michel Bergeron said he would like to have a talk with Geoff Molson and Serge Savard over either job...

That's insane, and I haven't heard of anyone who thought this was a good idea. Didn't he almost have a heart attack doing that reality TV hockey show?

That would also mean that he would try to land a job in Quebec too....
His last coaching job was in 1989-90, 22 years ago. He's also 66 years old, and has a history of at least one heart attack. I remember in the mid to late 90s there was talk of hiring him as bench coach then and it didn't happen because people were worried he'd die behind the bench. People think Roy is temperamental? Bergeron is worse! I mean if Bergeron is being considered then might as well consider Jacques Demers as well. He's only a year older.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:41 PM
thom

I don't think Bergerin is serious but it has happened Dick Vermeil was out of football for almost 20 yrs and led the Rams to a superbowl.Dick had a nervous breakdown and became a broadcaster then made the comeback at over 60yrs old the defense coach of the steelesrs is almost 72 yrs old.There are better choices but its a free country so if he wants an interview why not.

Old
03-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenheimer View Post
Whoever the Nashville GM is should be taken into account, same with SJ. Successful clubs every year.
I doubt you'll be able to lure David Poile out of Nashville - he was GM of Washington for 15 years before he left that job to join the Predators when they became an NHL club. An assistant might be possible.

If San Jose misses the playoffs Doug Wilson could become available and I think he's what the Habs need. 3 times post-lockout he's managed to trade 3 or so decent assets for a top-end guy (4 if you decide to count Heatley). That's terrific asset management that would compliment Timmins' drafting really well.

Old
03-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Crimson Skorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
I really am hoping for either Bergevin or Nill as GM and Roy as Head Coach.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
S Bah

Damphousse and Roy will be the GM and Coach this can be the only choices and appropriately the Managing team the Canadiens will decide upon.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Protest the Hero

I'm warming up to Julien Brisebrois. I'm still worried about him having ties to the Gainey/Gauthier era, and I don't know how much stock you can put into an AHL teams performance considering most of the players come in through the draft, but he's definitely had success in his tenure as Hamilton GM, and Norfolk GM.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:20 PM
Lint07

Heard this on the radio before going to my hockey game earlier today. I'm going by heart and might be paraphrasing so bear with me. Here's the jist of it:

Mitch Melnyk: ''If you were named GM of the Montreal Canadiens, would you still continue to make daily appearances on radio shows like this?''
Pierre McGuire: ''Yep!''
Melnyk: ''Really? You'd find time for that?''
McGuire: ''Of course I would. In french and english. I believe the first thing the Montreal Canadiens' management team should do is become closer to it's fans. As a GM, you have to be accountable for your every moves and should be willing to go on record and answer questions and explain your transactions''

How refreshing would it be to have a GM this accessible and close to the fanbase?

Please Mr. Molson, hire this guy.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:21 PM
TheBuriedHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
Damphousse and Roy will be the GM and Coach this can be the only choices and appropriately the Managing team the Canadiens will decide upon.
Whats with the hard on for Damphousse? He has proven nothing yet as a GM or assistant, or scout, or evaluator of talent. Its just a lets throw him in there and hope it works out. Can we get atleast somebody thats been an assistant gm?!?

Old
03-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post
Heard this on the radio before going to my hockey game earlier today. I'm going by heart and might be paraphrasing so bear with me. Here's the jist of it:

Mitch Melnyk: ''If you were named GM of the Montreal Canadiens, would you still continue to make daily appearances on radio shows like this?''
McGuire: ''Of course I would. In french and english. I believe the first thing the Montreal Canadiens' management team should do is become closer to it's fans. As a GM, you have to be accountable for your every moves and should be willing to go on record and answer questions and explain your transactions''

How refreshing would it be to have a GM this accessible and close to the fanbase?

My reaction

While we need someone who was more accessible than Gauthier, we dont need someone doing radio every day who will be a bigger blowhard than Burke.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:32 PM
HomaridII

Francois Gagnon ‏ @GagnonFrancois Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Vincent Damphousse confirme son intérêt pour le poste de DG du #CH.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Protest the Hero

People need to stop giving these RDS talkheads any credibility in their ability to gauge GM talent. They're only goal is to pimp their friends, the fact that Damphousse is on RDS makes their vote useless.

Old
03-30-2012, 08:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'm ALL for having people way more available than what Gainey and Gauthier were. But daily appearances? Sorry, makes no sense. Somehow, I believe though that a talk with Molson might have the effect that he'll change his opinion on this.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
supertzar

Vincent Damphousse? Hiring someone with no front office experience...seems like a damn good way to turn around a franchise. Christ almighty, this better be a load of BS.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:45 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

RDS pushing HARD for Damphousse. I really hope that doesn't happen...

Old
03-30-2012, 09:52 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Why the hell does Damphousse's name even come up as a possibility? What are his credentials? Where is the experience? Sometimes I listen to the media and they throw out a name like this and I wonder what has happened to this world.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:01 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Why the hell does Damphousse's name even come up as a possibility? What are his credentials? Where is the experience? Sometimes I listen to the media and they throw out a name like this and I wonder what has happened to this world.
He was part of the NHLPA and has administrative experience. Obviously, he also has hockey experience and knowledge.
But yes, essentially, he's never managed a team. I really think Molson will bring in someone that is currently holding a position on another team or has experience.
It feels like he really wants to go after the best man available. I have a hard time believing Damphousse is that man.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
He was part of the NHLPA and has administrative experience. Obviously, he also has hockey experience and knowledge.
But yes, essentially, he's never managed a team. I really think Molson will bring in someone that is currently holding a position on another team or has experience.
It feels like he really wants to go after the best man available. I have a hard time believing Damphousse is that man.
Well that's my point. His credentials as a GM in the NHL, or any league for that matter, is none. I'll never debate his hockey mind or experience, but as a GM I think he's better off spending time as an assistant to learn the ropes and gain that experience.

Best candidates are Bergevin and Nill, in my opinion.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Well that's my point. His credentials as a GM in the NHL, or any league for that matter, is none. I'll never debate his hockey mind or experience, but as a GM I think he's better off spending time as an assistant to learn the ropes and gain that experience.

Best candidates are Bergevin and Nill, in my opinion.
Agreed. Those two guys is really what I'm hoping for.
Not sure about Roy as the coach though, rather get Robinson in here.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
LyricalLyricist

Is it wrong for me for hoping a guy like timmins gets a promotion to assistant GM for a fresh voice more with day to day operations who has tremendous scouting ability?

Old
03-30-2012, 10:11 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post

Sounds like Brian Burke before going into hiding in recent weeks.

No thanks. I want my GM to do his job and build the team rather than constantly be putting his foot in his mouth on radio shows. Pierre McGuire's closer to a circus animal than he is a GM.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

Coach - Patrick Roy or Marc Crawford

GM - Pierre McGuire

Old
03-30-2012, 10:17 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Is it wrong for me for hoping a guy like timmins gets a promotion to assistant GM for a fresh voice more with day to day operations who has tremendous scouting ability?
I wouldn't mind that, guess it'll be up to the GM. But what we really need to do is actually employ someone that is in charge of player development. I know Timmins has that title, but I'm not sure he actually does it, he seems to just be the head scout.

Closed Thread