HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about Brandon Dubinsky.

Old
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I'm just happy to see Dubinsky heating up at the right time.
This.

Mainly because it increases his trade value even more.

03-28-2012, 12:12 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
This.

Right. Not like he could actually contribute to the team's success or anything.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:26 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Sure he can help the team win as much as he wants. I'm Some glad he's "playing with a chip on his shoulders" only a month after he was nearly on his way to CBJ.

I wish Dubinsky all the success in the world this playoff run, just remember it his success is a double-edged sword. He could conceivably be sharpening he knife he'll later be metaphorically killed with. I find that quite comical.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 12:44 PM
PMantis24
LGR!

Quote:
This.

Try not to make your dislike of Dubi so obvious, lol. I know you already have his bags packed for him

Anyway, it's good to see Dubi picking it up lately, even with the mistake in Tor, which he got punished for but also scored a goal in the game. With our offense struggling it only helps us if he gets hot right now. It gives us a "free" offensive upgrade. I felt Dubi was one of the best players in last years playoffs. I feel his game is built for it. Hopefully it continues this year and this time it'll actually result in wins.

PMantis24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Sure he can help the team win as much as he wants. I'm Some glad he's "playing with a chip on his shoulders" only a month after he was nearly on his way to CBJ.

I wish Dubinsky all the success in the world this playoff run, just remember it his success is a double-edged sword. He could conceivably be sharpening he knife he'll later be metaphorically killed with. I find that quite comical.
Anyone who thinks that want and desire are always what's lacking during a funk are just plain wrong.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Yeah, that's what I don't get. Dubinsky clearly fits in with this team and does the things that help you win even if he isn't scoring. Why people get so obsessed on one player (especially non-superstars) in a team sport boggles the mind. Dubinsky is the east coast version of Dustin Brown.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 07:47 PM
Edge

Dustin Brown is what Dubinsky could/should be.

The difference is Brown has done it throughout his entire career.

Dubinsky's biggest challenge is that it can't always be "wait until next year." At 26, those days are over.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Dubinsky's biggest challenge is that it can't always be "wait until next year." At 26, those days are over.
So you mean he still has until April 29th to win you over?

It's incredible how so many of you just erased last year from your consciousness when it comes to Dubi.

2010-2011:
Dubi led the team in goals
Dubi led the team in assists
Dubi led the team in points
Dubi led the team's forwards in ice time
Dubi led the team's forwards in PP ice time
Dubi led the team's forwards in PK ice time
Dubi led the the team in faceoff % among those who played in at least 30 games

Dubi was our most important forward last year. Yeah he's **** the bed for most of this year, but enough with this ******** that he's never done anything yet. Remember, this is even more impressive because he played half the year with a broken leg. He was too important to us to let him sit for the few weeks he would have needed to be 100% so he played though it and still did all that stuff (above).

Old
03-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
I hope he lights up the playoffs and then they trade him. Best of both worlds.

I don't think any player on this team frustrates me more.

03-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Yeah, that's what I don't get. Dubinsky clearly fits in with this team and does the things that help you win even if he isn't scoring. Why people get so obsessed on one player (especially non-superstars) in a team sport boggles the mind. Dubinsky is the east coast version of Dustin Brown.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Thank you.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 09:51 PM
Edge

Yikes bro, chillax.

I don't hate Dubinsky, but I'm not gong to deny that I'm disappointed.

I take nothing away for Dubi's 2010-11 season, but it's also one season. In total, Dubinsky has had one good season and one very good season. And of those two, the latter was a good wire to wire effort.

My comment was in response to saying he's our Dustin Brown. Dustin Brown has had the kind of career and overall consistency that one would like to see from Dubinsky. My personal affection for Dubi aside, that just hasn't happened yet. Frankly, at 26, the clock is ticking for him to become that player.

Old
03-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
So you mean he still has until April 29th to win you over?

It's incredible how so many of you just erased last year from your consciousness when it comes to Dubi.

2010-2011:
Dubi led the team in goals
Dubi led the team in assists
Dubi led the team in points
Dubi led the team's forwards in ice time
Dubi led the team's forwards in PP ice time
Dubi led the team's forwards in PK ice time
Dubi led the the team in faceoff % among those who played in at least 30 games

Dubi was our most important forward last year. Yeah he's **** the bed for most of this year, but enough with this ******** that he's never done anything yet. Remember, this is even more impressive because he played half the year with a broken leg. He was too important to us to let him sit for the few weeks he would have needed to be 100% so he played though it and still did all that stuff (above).
Okay, great, that's one year. This isn't a slumping Gaborik here who has potted 40 twice before and scored at least 30 several other times. It was stupid and dramatic last year to throw Gabs under the bus because he had an off year.

Dubinsky doesn't have off-years, he hasn't shown what an on year for him is yet. He's incredibly inconsistent and streaky as hell. Is he going to pot 30 goals next year, hell even 20? Who knows? Maybe he'll regress even more. You can't even defend the kid because you really have no damn idea what the hell he is going to do next. I'm sorry, but in this case you cut-bait, and especially if you can sell high if he has some sort of godly playoff run.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:07 PM
OverTheCap

I always thought Dustin Brown was more talented than Dubi. Dustin is a superior goal scorer. But there isn't such a large disparity in their career PPG despite Dubi's off year... Dubi produces at a rate of .54 PPG while Brown is a .59 PPG player.

I think Kings fans have some of the same frustrations with Dustin Brown that Rangers fans have with Dubinsky... they feel as if he doesn't always play up to his potential and is capable of playing better. I know that many Kings fans routinely question Brown's leadership.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:08 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Okay, great, that's one year. This isn't a slumping Gaborik here who has potted 40 twice before and scored at least 30 several other times. It was stupid and dramatic last year to throw Gabs under the bus because he had an off year.

Dubinsky doesn't have off-years, he hasn't shown what an on year for him is yet. He's incredibly inconsistent and streaky as hell. Is he going to pot 30 goals next year, hell even 20? Who knows? Maybe he'll regress even more. You can't even defend the kid because you really have no damn idea what the hell he is going to do next. I'm sorry, but in this case you cut-bait, and especially if you can sell high if he has some sort of godly playoff run.
That's just not true. His year to year numbers have been consistent and trending upwards until this year. He went from 14 and 13 goals his first two years to 20 and 24 his last two. His assist totals have been solid every year and generally getting better. Here they are in order: 26, 28, 24 (in a year where he missed 13 games), and 30.

He might be streaky game to game, but not season to season. Until this year it was looking like you could count on him for 20 goals and at worst high 20s assists.

But hey, that doesn't fit with the preconceived narrative largely built on this year along that you guys have got going.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
That's just not true. His year to year numbers have been consistent and trending upwards until this year. He went from 14 and 13 goals his first two years to 20 and 24 his last two. His assist totals have been solid every year and generally getting better. Here they are in order: 26, 28, 24 (in a year where he missed 13 games), and 30.

He might be streaky game to game, but not season to season. Until this year it was looking like you could count on him for 20 goals and at worst high 20s assists.

But hey, that doesn't fit with the preconceived narrative largely built on this year along that you guys have got going.
But wouldnt it also be fair to say that, based on what you've just presented, that he has more seasons in the 10-14 goal range, than the 20-25 goal range?

At his age, and at his salary, that's simply not good enough. Keep in mind, the contract Dubi signed was with the belief that he was going to become the 30 goal, 60 point player he has the talent to be. At this point, that is in serious doubt. And frankly, another season like this, it will no longer be in doubt.

With that said, we haven't touched on things outside of yearly totals, or even offensive contributions for that matter. The challenge with Dubinsky is that, even forgetting about offense for a little while, he has a lot of stretches where he simply looks lost out there and doesn't have the kind of impact on the game that someone at his salary level needs to have.

I'm not saying I am itching to dump him, but we do have to at least start considering the possibility.