HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canadiens / Rangers rivalry....

Old
03-30-2012, 10:16 PM
trilobyte

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
the Rangers were formed to be the rival to the Americans.

Anyway - i don't think we really have a rivalry with Montreal. Good games though usually.
Not today. Same as how NYR do not have a real blood and guts rivalry with the Bruins.
But, they really did have a great hatred thing going on with the Canadiens, perhaps mostly because the league was small, the Habs were almost always great, and there were lots of French-Canadian players involved.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
the Rangers were formed to be the rival to the Americans.

Anyway - i don't think we really have a rivalry with Montreal. Good games though usually.
They weren't formed to be the American's rival.

The Americans were promised to be the sole hockey tenant in Madison Square Garden.

I'll too lazy to look up his name right now, but the President of MSG saw how successful hockey was with the Americans (money, gate sales) that he stabbed them in the back and allowed Tex Rickard a team.

The Rangers became so successful that everyone showed up to watch THEM not the Americans.

The American tried to appeal to Brooklyn in an attempt to gain a fan base there (why I said forced to another burro) even though they still played in MSG.

They lost most of their players to the war.

When they attempted to revive the franchise they were denied.

And the curse of 1940 was born. Dutton's proclamation.

Rangers were born to exploit the sports success in the arena.

They targeted the Maroons to jumpstart and give the franchise credibility. Beat the Maroons and the team is legit.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:19 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
IMO the Canadiens are one of the great franchises of the past in all of sports and i do respect what they brought to the game, at one time.. I personally do not hate the Habs or their fans.. I do however resent their fans at times because they think because they may have had great teams 50 year's ago they know more about the game than the rest of us.
I will start by saying that you are right about SOME of the habs fan. For myself and all of my generation, we certainly don't think we know hockey better than you. The truth is that the marketing department in Habs office did a tremendous job over the last 10 years to get to the younger generation so a lot, a lot, a lot of fans got more involved in the team's operation. Add that to the departure of Nordiques (most of their fans became slowly habs fans) and to the departure of Montreal Expos (I'm personnaly a very sad baseball fan), so the fan base of Montreal Canadiens became very wide.

There are idiots everywhere, and the biggest a crowd is, the more idiots there is. It's not prop to Montreal, it's an universal thing. So since the habs fans growth rapidly over the last 15 years, for the reasons I explained, of course the bunch of idiots also growth.

And I have no doubt about the rivalry between Rangers and Maroons and Americans (I do know my hockey), but I'm just saying it can't be as relevant as 85 years of competition between two teams. Those rivalries you're talking about are just legends.... And by the way, if you think you had rivalry with the Maroons, what do you think the Canadiens had as a rivalry with that team? I could mention the Wanderers, which was even bigger as it gave birth to the habs as well... but I do think the Habs / Rangers rivlary is bigger, because of the years....

MisterY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:21 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterY View Post
Even so, there is no way that some rivalries that happen 70 years ago and didn't evolved since then, cause the Maroons and the Americans disappeared, can beat the rivalry that Rangers and Habs built over the years, while not as strong as other rivalries that both our teams faced...

I'm not very old (35), but I do remember that Habs beat the Rangers in 1986 (thanks to Roy) in their path to the cup. And since Habs and Rangers are both original six teams, I can't believe for a second that the rivalry between Maroons and Americans are stronger in history than two teams that competed with each other for more than 85 years....
My grandfather said the Rangers/Americans rivalry was one of the greatest sports rivalries he ever saw. The players all genuinely hated each other. Just because it is in the past does not mean it is not a great rivalry. Had the Maroons building not burned down, we might still be seeing them in the NHL today.

Last edited by mahonistan*: 03-30-2012 at 10:26 PM.
mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:24 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't discredit the Habs rivalry.

I simply listed the teams that were the Rangers most prominent rivals through their history.

The Rangers had a HUGE rivalry with the Bruins as well.

But ask folk and they'll say it doesn't exist because they've been separated in recent history.

Its only natural considering how long they've been around.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:25 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post

I simply listed the teams that were the Rangers most prominent rivals through their history.

But ask folk and they'll say it doesn't exist because they've been separated in recent history.

the 70's with Boston was great. I hated that Boston team. I hated Esposito. I still hated him when he was a Ranger.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:

Rangers had a huge ERA rivalry with the Bruins in the 70's. But outside of the 70's that rivalry never really took.

Still it was intense when it was happening.

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:30 PM
mahonistan*

If it weren't for Roy, the Rangers would have won the cup in 1986

Old
03-30-2012, 10:31 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
MisterY, I hope you don't take a few posts by one or two posters to heart. Anyway, I don't see these hard fought games lately. It seems one team is usually blowing out the other in its own building. We're not quite as proficient at blowing you guys out at MSG as you are in Montreal, but it seems like the games are blowouts quite often. This year alone saw 3 blowouts and one 5-3 game where the Rangers had a 3-0 lead at one point, as well as a 4-2 lead with like a minute to go.
Don't worry, I love are you guys are passionated about your team. I don't think we can take this year as a "barometer" though (I'm not sure if it can be said as an expression in english)... cause we have probably our worst team in the last 30 years while you have a very great team this year. Like I said earlier, I think the Rangers have a great chance to the cup.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
My grandfather said the Rangers/Americans rivalry was one of the greatest sports rivalries he ever saw. The players all genuinely hated each other. Just because it is in the past does not mean it is not a great rivalry. Had the Maroons building not burned down, we might still be seeing them in the NHL today.
All the textual and anecdotal recollection of the rivalry paints it as one of the most bitter, personal, and dynamic rivalries in the sport's history.

And the two franchises had two completely unique personalities.

The Amerks were deeply rooted in mafia ties.

The Rangers were a bunch of anonymous faces thrown together and they bonded so well they became a dominant multi-championship team.

The Americans not only resented it, but it literally destroyed them. They couldn't compete at the gate, and they lost their top players to the war.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:35 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I despise the Habs. Rangers never win in Montreal and their fans always come down to MSG and act like ******. Their fans are more annoying in MSG than both Devils and Isles fans.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:37 PM
MisterY

I have a funny anecdote for you guys.

The first time I went to an NHL hockey game, it was in 1986 in old Montreal Forum. I was 9 or 10 years old. I don't remember much of the game, but we won over the Red Wings. That year, the Habs won the cup.

The second time I went to an hockey game, it was in 1993, still in old Forum, to see the habs beat the Whalers. The Habs won the Cup that year.

The third time I went to an hockey game, it was in 1994 in a school trip to New York. That night, we saw the Rangers beat the Blackhawks in Madison Square Garden. The Rangers won the Cup that year.

Unfortunatly, my fourth time didn't pay off !!!

Old
03-30-2012, 10:37 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Don't worry, I love are you guys are passionated about your team. I don't think we can take this year as a "barometer" though (I'm not sure if it can be said as an expression in english)... cause we have probably our worst team in the last 30 years while you have a very great team this year. Like I said earlier, I think the Rangers have a great chance to the cup.
And yet here we are we have our worst loss of the season in Montreal (only loss by more than 3 goals all season) and got outscored 8-1 in Montreal. Those would have been good games for me if I were a Habs fan, but objectively those were awful games. I actually missed most of that 4-1 game, but I can't fathom a game that's 4-1 in the 2nd and ends 4-1 being a good game.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:39 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Rangers had a huge ERA rivalry with the Bruins in the 70's. But outside of the 70's that rivalry never really took.

Which is a great point.

A rivalry doesn't have to last forever.

While the Whalers existed, I recall it being pretty intense, though I was very young.

Why shouldn't that exist now, they still exist but in Raleigh... the divisions dumb things down a bit.

Which is why a lot of fans don't feel the rivalry between the Habs, Bruins, Leafs anymore. But they're still there.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:40 PM
SnowblindNYR

BTW, there's no way the Habs are worse than the Blue Jackets. That team is about 20 games under .500 in a league where you pretty much suck if you're .500.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:42 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
All the textual and anecdotal recollection of the rivalry paints it as one of the most bitter, personal, and dynamic rivalries in the sport's history.

And the two franchises had two completely unique personalities.

The Amerks were deeply rooted in mafia ties.

The Rangers were a bunch of anonymous faces thrown together and they bonded so well they became a dominant multi-championship team.

The Americans not only resented it, but it literally destroyed them. They couldn't compete at the gate, and they lost their top players to the war.
Without a doubt. I love hearing the old man talk about that rivalry. He said the Maroon teams were great and the funnest team of the era to watch.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:42 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I love talking about and debating history. Especially hockey history.

Everyone has an angle on it. So you get different takes.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Which is a great point.

A rivalry doesn't have to last forever.

While the Whalers existed, I recall it being pretty intense, though I was very young.

Why shouldn't that exist now, they still exist but in Raleigh... the divisions dumb things down a bit.

Which is why a lot of fans don't feel the rivalry between the Habs, Bruins, Leafs anymore. But they're still there.
Yep.

Everyone remember the Avs/ Redwings rivalry of the 90's? Dear God that was intense.

But, as you say, not all rivalries last. Some rivalries are historical, others era, and others are playoff centric. Historical ones are the ones that last the most. But for those to take root you usually have to play in the same division or be close proximity.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Those Red Wings v Avalanche games were fun to watch. They were really intense.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:55 PM
trilobyte

Quote:

ABC used to broadcast NHL games back then. Outside of HNIC, that was it if you were looking for NHL coverage, I think. I remember many Saturday afternoon games of Rangers vs. Bruins on ABC. Marv Albert was the voice of the Rangers.
It was a great rivalry then and the games were usually pretty close. Both teams were top Stanley Cup threats during that era. Rangers came so close a few times.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:56 PM
MisterY

Quote:
I love talking about and debating history. Especially hockey history.

Everyone has an angle on it. So you get different takes.
You're right about that. As you may or may not know, the Canadiens were created as an opposition to Montreal Wanderers. In Montreal, even though it's a french-speaking town, there is a large community of english-speaking people. And a large part of these english-speaking people were Irish descendants. Before the Canadiens were born, there was the Wanderers, who were controled by english (monarchist) people, who mostly controlled every aspect of Quebec economy at the time (Canada was still for most part under England control). So the french and irish players couldn't play for the wanderers.

Then some guy decided to form another team, called the Canadiens, a team that would hire french and irish players (by the way, Canadians at that era means the same thing as Quebecers do nowadays. Elsewhere in what is Canada today, they considered themselves as englishmen (from United Kingdom), not from Canada. That explains the name of our team.

The rest of the history wrote itslef, the Canadiens became so popular, and better than the Wanderers, so that team disappeared. Meanwhile the Maroons appeared... but from what I have known the war also took a lot of their players and they had to close the book....

Old
03-30-2012, 11:00 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
I have a funny anecdote for you guys.

The first time I went to an NHL hockey game, it was in 1986 in old Montreal Forum. I was 9 or 10 years old. I don't remember much of the game, but we won over the Red Wings. That year, the Habs won the cup.

The second time I went to an hockey game, it was in 1993, still in old Forum, to see the habs beat the Whalers. The Habs won the Cup that year.

The third time I went to an hockey game, it was in 1994 in a school trip to New York. That night, we saw the Rangers beat the Blackhawks in Madison Square Garden. The Rangers won the Cup that year.

Unfortunatly, my fourth time didn't pay off !!!
Couldn't you have gone to a Rangers game this year? BTW, where do you live? Why do you go to games so rarely?

Old
03-30-2012, 11:01 PM
Blueshirt Believer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
ABC used to broadcast NHL games back then. Outside of HNIC, that was it if you were looking for NHL coverage, I think. I remember many Saturday afternoon games of Rangers vs. Bruins on ABC. Marv Albert was the voice of the Rangers.
It was a great rivalry then and the games were usually pretty close. Both teams were top Stanley Cup threats during that era. Rangers came so close a few times.
Yep, I remember(barely).

Still some would argue that the Bruins had a rivalry with everyone in the 70's(they were the team to beat in the early 70's). The Rangers had some real good teams, but not good enough to stop a Bruins team with Orr(yeah, no way) or the Lafleur Canadians Dynasty(might have been able to beat them).

Course I think the 70's was one of the worst era's of hockey (talent wise). Even the amazing teams like the Bruins, Flyers, and Canadians got to beat up on so many crappy expansion teams.

I hate to admit it, but those 80's islanders teams were better. Not even going to mention the Oilers.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
MisterY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Couldn't you have gone to a Rangers game this year? BTW, where do you live? Why do you go to games so rarely?
Pay me a ticket and I'll be glad to visit New York again! (I've been there to see the Mets three years ago and it didn't worked for them...)

Seriously, like I said, that "lucky trail" failed the fourth time.... I went to a lot of games since then and it never worked again!

If it would have worked again and again, I surely would have find a way to make money out of it!

Old
03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Yep, I remember(barely).

Still some would argue that the Bruins had a rivalry with everyone in the 70's(they were the team to beat in the early 70's). The Rangers had some real good teams, but not good enough to stop a Bruins team with Orr(yeah, no way) or the Lafleur Canadians Dynasty(might have been able to beat them).

Course I think the 70's was one of the worst era's of hockey (talent wise). Even the amazing teams like the Bruins, Flyers, and Canadians got to beat up on so many crappy expansion teams.

I hate to admit it, but those 80's islanders teams were better. Not even going to mention the Oilers.
those islander teams were great. The 1940 chants got old very fast though.