HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Agreed. Those two guys is really what I'm hoping for.
Not sure about Roy as the coach though, rather get Robinson in here.
Robinson would be a good choice. I'd like someone that has something in common with the candidates I have jotted down for the GM status - experience in the NHL. I think Roy would be an amazing coach in the NHL one day, just not here. After the glory and the cheering on opening night at the Bell Centre, if things start to take a dip and the Habs slide down the standings like this year, not only will the media start it's usual frenzy but Roy himself will start acting up - both behind the bench and in front of cameras after games.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
03-30-2012, 10:18 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
I wouldn't mind that, guess it'll be up to the GM. But what we really need to do is actually employ someone that is in charge of player development. I know Timmins has that title, but I'm not sure he actually does it, he seems to just be the head scout.
Trevor Timmins

Quote:
Position: DIRECTOR OF PROCUREMENT AND PLAYER DEVELOPMENT
Trevor Timmins enters his 11th season with the Montreal Canadiens. He is primarily responsible for overseeing and directing the Canadiens’ amateur scouting system, including the annual NHL Entry Draft and amateur free-agent recruitment.

In addition, Timmins is responsible for both of the club’s summer development and rookie camps. He also oversees the development of the Canadiens prospects in Hamilton and the club’s amateur prospects. Trevor also supervises the annual NHL combine, as well as the Canadiens’ own combine, a pre-draft player evaluation process.

Timmins starts his 20th season in the NHL. He worked with the Ottawa Senators from 1992 through the 2001-02 season. From 1999 to 2002, he was the team’s Director of Hockey Operations. He was responsible for the Scouting Department, the minor league affiliate, budgeting, and the daily operation of the Hockey Department.

He has also held the positions of Scouting Coordinator, Strength and Conditioning Coach and Director of Team Services with the Senators. Timmins is a graduate of Queen’s University in Physical Education. He also completed a Master of Business Administration (Queen’s) and a Master’s degree in Sports Administration at the University of Ottawa. He was born on January 5, 1968, in Almonte, Ontario.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:23 PM
Ledevin

vCash: 500
Timmins has that role right now but I would rather him concentrate on finding talents and hire someone specifically for player development and to follow and guide our prospects on a more personal basis (on ice and off ice). Someone like Piton Ruel if you were there to remember...

A guy like Gaston Gingras could fit the bill. He's usually there at every development camp and seems to know our prospects. I'd like for us to hire someone like that on a fulltime basis.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledevin View Post
Timmins has that role right now but I would rather him concentrate on finding talents and hire someone specifically for player development and to follow and guide our prospects on a more personal basis (on ice and off ice). Someone like Piton Ruel if you were there to remember...
That's the thing though, trevor has 20 years of NHL experience in scouting, developmen and operations. The guy is 'billingual' and has great vision. Instead of closing him into what he's good at, the guy should be groomed for our next GM position IMO.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:27 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Trevor Timmins
Again, I'm not sure how much he really is involved in the development of our players.

Our player development has been pretty darn terrible.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:27 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Is anyone else getting annoyed with CTV's Brian Wilde's seeming "campaign" to ensure that Patrick Roy isn't the Habs next coach? I use the term campaign loosely of course since it's not like Brian Wilde has any influence in the final decision but he seems to be trying to convince everyone the Roy is the devil. He has a real hate-on for the guy that seems somewhat displaced. He's making it out to be some anglo vs. franco thing where Roy only has the support of the francophone population which I feel is completely untrue. All my anglo friends are big supporters of P. Roy becoming the next coach.

The other one I don't get is Francois Gagnon's campaign for Vinny Damphousse as GM. That one makes even less sense.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:31 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I wonder if Scotty Bowman would get a call or even consider the role. The guy IS winning hockey and literally a living legend. Not
Quite sure what his relationship is with the Habs but if there's a more knowledgable hockey person on the planet, I'd like to meet him and throw his name into contention as well.
Scotty Bowman GM
Pierre McGuire AGM
Vincent Danphousse Player Development
Head coach ???
All bilingual, great knowledge and experience. Can't see much wrong with this list.
I'd replace Vincent with Blair Mackasey

Old
03-30-2012, 10:35 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Again, I'm not sure how much he really is involved in the development of our players.

Depends how you define player development. Pretty sure timmins is the guy when they are overseas or in juniors. I believe, once they are signed and play at close range to the GM in montreal or hamilton, he has less involvement.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:45 PM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Is Ken Dryden an option? I haven't heard his name mentioned. He's an extremely bright man and was GM of the Leafs for a short period.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:48 PM
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!

The good (professional mascot)

The Bad (Coach)

The Ugly (GM)

Old
03-30-2012, 11:03 PM
donghabs98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shutt View Post
Is Ken Dryden an option? I haven't heard his name mentioned. He's an extremely bright man and was GM of the Leafs for a short period.
i was wondering the same thing. He does bring lots of knowledge to the table

Old
03-30-2012, 11:10 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Rather him as advisor.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:11 PM
Roulin

Quote:

I disagree. IMO the problem with some young players has been finding the role that suits them best in the NHL. I don't think that's the same as the development that Timmins is responsible for. Sergei Kostitsyn, for example, was developed into a fine player, just not put into a role that maximized his talents while with the NHL Habs. Same with Grabovski, D'Agostini... their development in Hamilton and elsewhere HELPED them become the NHL'ers they are now.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:12 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
That's the thing though, trevor has 20 years of NHL experience in scouting, developmen and operations. The guy is 'billingual' and has great vision. Instead of closing him into what he's good at, the guy should be groomed for our next GM position IMO.
Ya why let him do what he is good at when we can try and shoehorn him into something he might be terrible at? Hey maybe Price wants to play centre? He is a good goalie but maybe he is the superstar centre we always wanted!

Old
03-30-2012, 11:15 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I disagree. IMO the problem with some young players has been finding the role that suits them best in the NHL. I don't think that's the same as the development that Timmins is responsible for. Sergei Kostitsyn, for example, was developed into a fine player, just not put into a role that maximized his talents while with the NHL Habs. Same with Grabovski, D'Agostini... their development in Hamilton and elsewhere HELPED them become the NHL'ers they are now.
I agree with this 100%

Think of the hot starts Sergei, Dago, Latendresse, Lapierre, and even O'Byrne had when they first came up. They never sustained it.

Their minor league development and coaching was fine.

The NHL work done with them after they arrived was sub par

Old
03-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Habsfan2992
One of the 1st

I think a poll should be made if there isn't one already with the candidates and see how the majority rules

Old
03-30-2012, 11:33 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Ya why let him do what he is good at when we can try and shoehorn him into something he might be terrible at? Hey maybe Price wants to play centre? He is a good goalie but maybe he is the superstar centre we always wanted!
Except timmins has experience of operations and contracts at NHL level.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:36 PM
sammy d

We need the best man for the job...PERIOD. Why would you eliminate 80% of the available candidates because they don't speak french? Tired of the inferiority language complex, after all how many European soccer clubs have coaches who don't speak the language. Maybe Nill or Fenton?

Old
03-31-2012, 12:00 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
First he's not billingual.

Second, for many he is seen as someone that was weak in the aspect of bringing in french talent. Getting him would be a public relation nightmare.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Mr. Peace and Love? No way. I want someone that would come in accepting that hockey is also a physical game.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:10 AM
thom

GREAT ROY AND DRYDEN BOTH ON THE TEAM.One quit the team for one whole year and the other quit in mid season.Dryden was hired in Toronto to clean up the tragedy that happened.Pat quin was the real hockey man in toronto.Dryden was respected in the dressing room but was never very popular.Even in 72 Canada russia series many did not care for his political correct views

Old
03-31-2012, 12:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
I don't know if it was reported, but talking to Michel Villeneuve on the radio yesterday, Michel Bergeron said he would like to have a talk with Geoff Molson and Serge Savard over either job...

That's insane, and I haven't heard of anyone who thought this was a good idea. Didn't he almost have a heart attack doing that reality TV hockey show?

That would also mean that he would try to land a job in Quebec too....
Holly **** this whole process will become a circus sooner than later.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:20 AM
Swarez

Quote:
He was President of the leafs, Never GM, the rumour was he wanted Gainey in Toronto, but was forced to Quinn instead by ownership, after Quinn Drydan hired Ferguson- who does speak french

Old
03-31-2012, 12:35 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
First he's not billingual.

Second, for many he is seen as someone that was weak in the aspect of bringing in french talent. Getting him would be a public relation nightmare.
He spends more than a little time in quebec scouting so I don't see the problem. Not like the Q is bringing in players like it used to.

Also, I never said him as GM. I said him as assistant GM and that he also fits the bill as he speaks some french and can communicate as well. Maybe he'll learn more over time.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:45 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
He spends more than a little time in quebec scouting so I don't see the problem. Not like the Q is bringing in players like it used to.

Also, I never said him as GM. I said him as assistant GM and that he also fits the bill as he speaks some french and can communicate as well. Maybe he'll learn more over time.
I definitly think Timmins as assistant GM would be great. He has a great eye for talent.

Closed Thread