HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Feschuk: Dion Phaneuf has a lot to learn about being a captain

Old
03-30-2012, 11:30 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I didn't know he didn't show up at any of the fetes for Sundin. Geez...
yeah that caught my attention too .... captain oblivious

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:32 PM
Kulemon

Can the media just ****?

Does anyone really care? We all know we suck. We don't need to listen and read about it 24/7.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
im confused where is this from?

Also what the hell is wrong with this dude lol
He's using all his ammo in case the Leafs become good again next season, then he'll have nothing to say.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
No spin required, Brown is playing for a roster spot next year.

Do you think that Dion is well liked?

I will not reply to this thread any more, but this is not the first time I made this claim and it was long before this article was written. I am only surprised that it has not yet surfaced.
Do you know he's not well liked in the dressing room? All this is speculation, and it is very easy to make stuff up when the team is playing so badly. "Kick that poor ******* in the face", "beat him while he's down", all various cliches for taking advantage of the disadvantaged and one in a vulnerable state. Did he ever said how awesome Phaneuf was when the Leafs were in 6th place a couple of months ago?

Last edited by Superstar: 03-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Judging by quotes from ex-NHLers on Phaneuf in the article, one thing I can say is that I shouldn't be judging Phaneuf's captain ship abilities based on this season. He has no support cast. No other leader. Even Chara had Bergeron and Recchi. Toews had Keith and Sharp.

Phaneuf has Komisarek and Armstrong. Burke needs to find veterans in the off-season. And yes, trading youth or prospects might be a good idea for that. Goal of a hockey team should be success, not just being younger.

I hate this guy's articles too. But can we just stop whining about media whining about poor play of Leafs. They will report what the team gives.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:10 AM
kihei

vCash: 4535
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Hes the reporter who called Reimer's mom when he was out his concussion.
Quote:
okay yea he is a dirtbag for doing that. i didn't like him at all for that wtf.
I may remember this incorrectly, but I thought she sounded relieved to get her concerns on the public record because the Leafs were still referring to Reimer's condition as "concussion-like symptoms." She certainly didn't sound offended that somebody from the press sought out her opinion. I think the guy's a pretty good reporter.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:48 AM
Griffski

He also has a lot to learn about hockey, he sucks.

Griffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:58 AM
ThreeHundred

Phanuef is no captain. Rather see Grabo be captain over him. The only people that think he should be captain are the people on this board and Burkes lap dogs. Post this on the main board and see what other fans say.. An unbiased person will not agree with you guys

Last edited by crump: 03-31-2012 at 04:09 AM.
ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:59 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Aside from Carlyle and Farrish no, I agree with you and most of the relative understanding fans see that dion needs more leaders in the room for sure to spear head this team I am hoping that is what burke does, especially since Nonis pointed it out.
I guess when Dion leads team to playoffs and has a great playoff run, a clutch goal or play or two, people will shut up about it but as a habs fan, I know better. He's not the best leader, but he needs the vets to learn from too. I never liked how they just handed him the C, he may not have been ready, but it is what it is, and if they want to build a team that can come out of bad stretches, you need more than dion. Guys like Doan may be available, not a cup winner, but hard working vet. Add some guys like Pahlsson over a guy like connoly and there's some playoff experience. I hope habs retain moen, but he's another possibility. There's a lot of guys who can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
Phanuef is no captain. Rather see Grabo be captain over him. The only people that think he should be captain are the people on this board and Burkes lap dogs
I'm not a leafs fan, but Dion is a leader. I won't argue if you feel he was rushed into role by Burke, but he's not a bad player and not a bad influence but he's no messier or "insert good captain here". He's okay, but unforunately, I don't think he has much competition for captaincy in the leafs room, all too young.

Last edited by crump: 03-31-2012 at 04:09 AM.
LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:02 AM
ThreeHundred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I guess when Dion leads team to playoffs and has a great playoff run, a clutch goal or play or two, people will shut up about it but as a habs fan, I know better. He's not the best leader, but he needs the vets to learn from too. I never liked how they just handed him the C, he may not have been ready, but it is what it is, and if they want to build a team that can come out of bad stretches, you need more than dion. Guys like Doan may be available, not a cup winner, but hard working vet. Add some guys like Pahlsson over a guy like connoly and there's some playoff experience. I hope habs retain moen, but he's another possibility. There's a lot of guys who can help.

I'm not a leafs fan, but Dion is a leader. I won't argue if you feel he was rushed into role by Burke, but he's not a bad player and not a bad influence but he's no messier or "insert good captain here". He's okay, but unforunately, I don't think he has much competition for captaincy in the leafs room, all too young.
Hah.. See what i mean.. Other fans agree.. Maybe a leader of some sort but aint no captain

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:05 AM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Everytime I look on the leaf board its like Feschuk has a new article every 5 minutes? What does this guy have writer's diarrhea? Can't stop writing and it stinks like **** too

LolungoReboundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream team43 View Post
Hah.. See what i mean.. Other fans agree.. Maybe a leader of some sort but aint no captain
I hope others understand I mean no disrespect by that. To me dion isn't a franchise player nor is he really the face of a franchise. He is better in a key supporting role. I think burke is a good gm but he really tried to force an identity and went as far as pretty much giving the c to dion. He may very well be a leader and have potential to be a great captain but he needs some guidance too. This same can be said of habs young players so it's not a shot at anybody. As I said, they need to add a better supporting leadership cast to help guy out.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:55 AM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
I wonder how feschuk would be reviewed by former Star reporter Ernest Hemmingway
How far the Toronto Sun has fallen.

Cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Komisarek has a lot to apologize for. Who did Phaneuf publicly criticize?

For a Leaf fan you sure love criticizing them every chance you get.
Moose whats with your constant defence of Phaneuf.

Not trolling, just trying to see what I'm missing here.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:59 AM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

This actually is a great article, especially,
Quote:
, at least three former players who attended the events say Phaneuf never showed up to pay his respects to Sundin.

“Dion’s absence was noted,” said one former player.

Another ex-NHLer, who pointed out that even members of the Canadiens made time to honour Sundin, guffawed at Phaneuf’s oversight.

“It’s a no-brainer: If you’re the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs, you go. Period,” said an ex-Leaf. “That’s part of learning what it’s like to be a captain. (Phaneuf) has a lot to learn.”
This is absolutely despicable of Dion. What a slap in the face to Sundin.

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Wendelstache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
This actually is a great article, especially,

This is absolutely despicable of Dion. What a slap in the face to Sundin.
i hate phaneuf as much as the next guy, but are you serious???

Wendelstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:05 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Moose whats with your constant defence of Phaneuf.

Not trolling, just trying to see what I'm missing here.
Ask people who continually trash Phaneuf, they are the ones with issues.

As far as this article goes it's yellow journalism at its finest.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:08 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

lulz

Last edited by thebluemachine*: 03-31-2012 at 10:13 AM.
thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTwice View Post
whether he's a pompous ass or not, feshuk is right about what he wrote. phaneuf has the right tools to be captain but isn't using them correctly. being a captain isn't just about on-ice responsibilities, includes off-ice as well and the fact that he missed out on that sundin event is definitely un-captain like. especially for a storied franchise like the leafs. i love phaneuf, but he has a lot to learn if he wants to be a great well-rounded captain.
I refuse to believe that a rookie captain has a lot to learn. Nope, no way, never. If that's the case, we need to remove him. Now.

NOW.

NOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
Feschuk is the new Howard Berger. Always going to find something wrong to talk about.

Not saying Phaneuf doesn't have a lot to learn. But the negativity is especially strong from this writer.

Duke Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:15 AM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Perhaps it hasn’t helped that Phaneuf, who wasn’t made available to the media after Thursday’s loss or Friday’s practice, has, when he has spoken in public, chosen to spread the blame around the room.
This is insane. Phaneuf decided to blame the team as a whole? What a WORM. GET. HIM. OUT.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:16 AM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

This seems like a made up issue in so many ways but why do we keep hearing it? We're not privy to the candid comments of the players off the record. Are the media picking on Phaneuf or do they know something? Even if they're agitators, you don't agitate something patently false, do you? That's easily ignored.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:19 AM
dubey
The Best (per IIHF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post
This seems like a made up issue in so many ways but why do we keep hearing it? We're not privy to the candid comments of the players off the record. Are the media picking on Phaneuf or do they know something? Even if they're agitators, you don't agitate something patently false, do you? That's easily ignored.
We keep hearing it because the season is almost over and there's nothing else to talk about

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
YearsintheWilderness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
We keep hearing it because the season is almost over and there's nothing else to talk about
Or perhaps because:

—the Leafs are crashing as hard as is humanly possible, and when there is crisis, dissension follows
—Burke the blowhard and the legions of kool aid drinkers are being highlighted as the gullible buffoons they are
—there is something to the talk that dogged Phaneuf in Calgary and the whispers that started soon after he arrived in Toronto

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 208
I guess we will see what Phaneuf is made of. It won't be long until the boo birds narrow in on him. If he is a leader he will see it as a challenge. If he is out of his element he will probably ask for a trade.
I don't think Burke would do that unless he could spin it as a too good to pass up deal.

Let's hope he has it in him to transcend his position.

crump is offline   Reply With Quote