HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reminder: The NHL is all about making money.

Old
03-30-2012, 10:05 PM
littletonhockeycoach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
The thing I hate about the officiating is that it just doesn't make any sense the way they call games. You have to be consistent throughout the game, otherwise it puts one of the teams at a disadvantage. What I'm really getting at is how they put away the whistles in the third period.

Let's think about this. During the third period, generally the team that's behind is going to spend more time in the offensive zone pressuring the play. The leading team is more likely to commit penalties. If you put away the whistles just for the third period, you are biasing the game against the team that is trying to tie it.
That's one of the reasons that hockey in general and the NHL specifically gets so little respect from the US National Sports media. There's a subjective side of refereeing hockey that folks who haven't spent a lifetime playing the game dont' understand. Way more interpretation than baseball or basketball allows (the latter almost being crooked IMO) and harder to call than football which everyone seems to measure against.

Ref's won't admit it publically but many of the ones I know personally have told me that they think their job is to manage the flow of the game. Too many penalties disturbs the flow so unless there's a scoring chance lost or a unjustified turnover of possession, let it go. Let the players play and determine the outcome.

They (my ref friends) simply won't recognize that them not calling penalities also helps determine the outcome of the game.

Frankly, this is the way the game has been officiated since like forever. I know a lot of recent fans of the game that just can't get their heads around this part of it. I tell them (rightly or wrongly) that the game's roots are in Canada and that's the way most of my canadian buds like the game called. (Swallow your damn whistle and let us battle it out. It's a game for lumberjacks not, wall flowers.)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:08 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Montag: Sorry to lecture on about that topic. I know you know what I'm talking about already.

Just a little therapy for myself!

Old
03-30-2012, 10:09 PM
SundherDome
Jhonas is an Ewok

G: Ennis
Vanek..chasing down malkin..scoring
Sekera

B:Roy
Leino
Boyes

U: Root sports ...jesus they are worse than jack n jill on nesn..
Refs.. blowing calls..missing calls...i understand letting some things go but ..wow
Were outta the playoffs right now

SundherDome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Montag: Sorry to lecture on about that topic. I know you know what I'm talking about already.

Just a little therapy for myself!
No, that's okay. I did already know it but I wholeheartedly disagree with the philosophy.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Two words: Sweep. Toronto.

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Kyndig86

Jordan rule and Brady rule come to mind.

NBA refs being fired and whatnot for being corrupt, NFL refs admitting that they are more likely to call roughing the passer on people hitting someone like say Brady...said player starts diving on lightest tap.

Nope no favoritism at all in the NHL either right? Kaleta getting penalties for being cross checked into the goalie. Anyone love taps Crosby you're goin to the box most likely..oh and its perfectly ok to run Miller....yeah

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:20 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
That's one of the reasons that hockey in general and the NHL specifically gets so little respect from the US National Sports media. There's a subjective side of refereeing hockey that folks who haven't spent a lifetime playing the game dont' understand. Way more interpretation than baseball or basketball allows (the latter almost being crooked IMO) and harder to call than football which everyone seems to measure against.

Ref's won't admit it publically but many of the ones I know personally have told me that they think their job is to manage the flow of the game. Too many penalties disturbs the flow so unless there's a scoring chance lost or a unjustified turnover of possession, let it go. Let the players play and determine the outcome.

They (my ref friends) simply won't recognize that them not calling penalities also helps determine the outcome of the game.

Frankly, this is the way the game has been officiated since like forever. I know a lot of recent fans of the game that just can't get their heads around this part of it. I tell them (rightly or wrongly) that the game's roots are in Canada and that's the way most of my canadian buds like the game called. (Swallow your damn whistle and let us battle it out. It's a game for lumberjacks not, wall flowers.)
Agreed, they should and did put the whistles away. Except, they called two ticky-tacky calls in the second that changed the game. And made a few sketchy calls on a net off, line substitution and a goalie stalling.

I got to be honest, I love basketball, but as a Canadian I find the officiating VERY subjective, and I'm a Duke fan. It seems WAY may subjective than the NHL. But again it could be because I've played hockey since I was 4 and never really played basketball outside of phys-ed.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:32 PM
MGIII
Legendary

There are no words for how salty I am right now.

MGIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:41 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
Agreed, they should and did put the whistles away. Except, they called two ticky-tacky calls in the second that changed the game. And made a few sketchy calls on a net off, line substitution and a goalie stalling.

I got to be honest, I love basketball, but as a Canadian I find the officiating VERY subjective, and I'm a Duke fan. It seems WAY may subjective than the NHL. But again it could be because I've played hockey since I was 4 and never really played basketball outside of phys-ed.
I'm not much of a basketball fan but I played the game in church leagues (CYA, etc,) and stuff growing up and it always seemed clear cut to me. Traveling was travelling, charging was a little interpretive but if you had position and held it for x seconds, the call went your way. Fouls called going to the basket were straightforward.

The officiating in the NBA seems to a completely different game than I was taught. It's another case of don't touch the stars (or certain teams). So, they get away with anything.

Call me a neanderthal/throwback but hockey, used to police itself. Ref's didn't protect star players as much as the team enforcer would. The NHL has taken that out of the game. Stick's came up, dirty play increased so now you have the league protecting it's stars just like the other pro leagues do.

Of course there's a lot more money at stake these days than 20/30 yrs ago.

As you know........

Old
03-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Squantosawuss

I believe there are two big reasons officiating in the NHL is the way it is:

1) The game is a lot faster than the other major sports. When there's a lot of confusion on the ice, at the speeds things happen at, refs are bound to make mistakes or miss penalties.

2) Not enough situations where video review is allowed, including no video challenges allowed by coaches.

I don't know about fixing the speed issue, it's just the nature of the sport obviously, but there can definitely be some inclusion of video review in this game outside of goal calls.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:25 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
1 loss and people are jumping ship? Washington isn't gonna win out.
The scary thing is that they could.

They have Montreal and Tampa coming up next. And the Rangers on the last game of the season when they'll be resting all their guys.

Washington's toughest remaining match-up down the stretch was Boston on the road. And they won that one. I think that was a game we were all counting on the Caps to lose.

Say what you will about the Caps being mediocre, but aside from Tuesday night they've got points in 9 of their last 11 games.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:38 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
3rd regulation loss in last 21 games.

Jump off bridge.

#lifeofasabresfan
**** the bed for 2/3's of a season, expect to get in with the effort from the last 1/3 of a season, anyway

#lifeofasabresfan

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:52 PM
Endless Ike

that game could have easily been 4-0, and might have been against MAF. Each of our goals was abnormal in its own way.

Leopold's was a juggling act that doesn't happen to most goalies on that shot. Good for the boys for taking advantage, but that was a huge gaffe.

Ennis' was just the softest of the soft goals

Vanek's was one of the strangest bounces I've ever seen in my life.

I hope like hell they make the playoffs, but its clear we don't have the level of talent of the top teams in the NHL.

Pick #13 here we come!

Endless Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:57 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
The officiating in the NHL is BY FAR the worst among major league sports in N. America. Always has been.
How expedient...NBA officials are so much worse. I cant even watch the NBA because of how inconsistent they are.

Old
03-30-2012, 11:59 PM
Endless Ike

Quote:
That's one of the reasons that hockey in general and the NHL specifically gets so little respect from the US National Sports media.
No, that would be because 90% of the mouth breathing public equates "US National Sports media" with ESPN, and ESPN and its corporate affiliates no longer carry any NHL games, and so they therefore choose not to cover the NHL.

It's not science. Follow the money, and boycott ESPN. I haven't been to ESPN.com in 8 years.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:02 AM
Ted Black

This team has been playing some great hockey for quite awhile and now, after one game most of you are jumping ship? Give me a break. I'm pissed just like the rest of you guys, but come on.

Anything can happen from here. Did you really think Buffalo was going to finish on a ten game winning streak?

Ted Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Vito_81

Sabres win Saturday.

Sens and Caps lose.

Tied for 7th!

Caps drop a second straight to TB, Buffalo wins another game vs Toronto. Pretty much night-night OV at that point. Buffalo getting the game into OT against Philly seals up their playoff birth.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:23 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
U:
Miller sucked **** against the Penguins as usual.
Refs ****ed us as usual. (specially of late, tryin to fix who gets in huh?)
Missed opportunities.
Sabres record without Ehrhoff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyndig86 View Post
Jordan rule and Brady rule come to mind.

NBA refs being fired and whatnot for being corrupt, NFL refs admitting that they are more likely to call roughing the passer on people hitting someone like say Brady...said player starts diving on lightest tap.

Nope no favoritism at all in the NHL either right? Kaleta getting penalties for being cross checked into the goalie. Anyone love taps Crosby you're goin to the box most likely..oh and its perfectly ok to run Miller....yeah
favoritism? Trying to fix who gets in? Come on guys. That's embarrassing. What would refs gain in terms of fixing who gets in? Pitt is already in... Were all four zebras also employed by the US Government, residing in DC and bleeding Leonsis/Snyder? Also, you really can't expect a positive outcome in a high scoring game against an offense like the Penguins, the mirage that was last meeting not withstanding.

Foligno took a pretty embarrassing dive, tripped indeed or not tripped at all. Still tried to sell the **** out of it.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:32 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

I found it very offensive when the Pens "pBp" guy made fun of Tyler Myers when he fell down after blocking that second shot. He kept saying "timmmmmberrrrrr". While the player is laying on the ice possibly hurt. A classless jerk, represents Penguins hockey perfectly.

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:46 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I found it very offensive when the Pens "pBp" guy made fun of Tyler Myers when he fell down after blocking that second shot. He kept saying "timmmmmberrrrrr". While the player is laying on the ice possibly hurt. A classless jerk, represents Penguins hockey perfectly.
Agreed, as did I. But what bothers me more is that a former player in Bob Errey just sits back and chuckles... What a ***** ass ****.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:58 AM
ogoaltrop

Home ice , lots of alumni in the building, lots of hype, full house, big big game = A CLASSIC Sabres loss.

They have been doing it for years.

Sure they wont win every game but as said....... your at home, Pitt played the night before, they start a back up net minder etc......... NO EXCUSES!

Of course the coaching and core of the team played an outstanding stretch of 25 games to keep em all together and give them another chance next year.

ogoaltrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:40 AM
Feisar

G:
- Liked Sekera. Not sure if he is still not 100% but just surprised he only got 18:34 of ice time. Such a great, smooth skater and whenever he was on the ice I never felt as if the Penguins were about to score.
- Crosby. Impressive to watch.
- Sabres looked bad and still had a chance to win this one against one of the top teams in the league.

B:
- Goalies. Both didn't look too comfortable out there.
- Missed chances. With all the talk about bad refs Sabres still had plenty of chances to tie/win this game. (Leino, Roy, Sekera, ...)
- Currently out of the playoffs.

U:
- Ice. Sabres are supposed to have home ice and it looked like most of the players falling down were from Buffalo. Especially Foligno-Ennis-Stafford seemed to be hampered by that.

Feisar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:05 AM
dire wolf
be cool

I'm pissed, but I knew we were going to lose that one. I don't think BUF or WSH will win out. It's going to be a nail-biter. I think one of Ottawa, Buffalo or Washington could totally implode. We'll see.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:28 AM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
While this game did not the season make, and we still have a great shot to make the playoffs, I actually disagree with the overall sentiment in this thread. Maybe it was because I was tired, or the ice, but I really didn't feel as though the Sabres played very inspired this evening.

Certainly wasn't the worst game I've seen them play by far, but I thought they looked slow and tentative a lot of the time. Could also be the way they were trying to handle Sid and Geno.

That said, having played 3 in four nights, the Pens didn't exactly look like world beaters either.

If we bury a couple of those tight in chances, we win the game. Since we didn't, sweeping Toronto is a must. Then, we go from there.

As for the officiating, it was indeed pretty bad. The linesmen to me were actually worse than the refs though. Called 2 or 3 offside calls on Buffalo that I thought weren't, but at the same time, Vanek fires a puck on Johnson from outside the blue line when we were 8 feet offside, and no whistle. No idea what those 2 guys were looking at all night.

The non calls by the refs didn't bother me that much. Late season hockey is late season hockey. However, I thought the trip they called on Foligno was just preposterous. Roy's hook wasn't much better, but, his stick was parallel to the ice, and on Geno's hip/under his arm. We all know that gets called most times.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:40 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I like Tropp but there needs to be a better scoring winger on that line....Leino?
Spare me the laughter.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote