HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

To think: On paper, this could end up being the best Rangers team in history

Old
03-30-2012, 04:37 PM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjimmyg89 View Post
Nothing is better than the '94 team. Sure the earlier Ranger teams were good, but the amount of pressure on the '94 team makes them the best Rangers team ever.
317 goals for
192 goals against

You want to talk about pressure? How about opening the postseason against the defending Cup champs who happen to have a dozen hall of famers on the team in their prime?

IMO it's not even a contest. The 1994 rangers played 3 scrub teams that postseason. The 1972 Rangers played the Cup Champs in round 1, swept the Mikita-Hull-Esposito Hawks (107 points) in the next round, and lost in the SCF in 6 games to the 53-win Bruins of Orr-Espo-Bucyk-Sanderson-Cheevers

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 04:43 PM
IAMREALITY
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
317 goals for
192 goals against

You want to talk about pressure? How about opening the postseason against the defending Cup champs who happen to have a dozen hall of famers on the team in their prime?

IMO it's not even a contest. The 1994 rangers played 3 scrub teams that postseason. The 1972 Rangers played the Cup Champs in round 1, swept the Mikita-Hull-Esposito Hawks (107 points) in the next round, and lost in the SCF in 6 games to the 53-win Bruins of Orr-Espo-Bucyk-Sanderson-Cheevers

GOD I wish I was around for that season. That must've been downright amazing to have been a part of.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:12 PM
UlfNilsson

The fact that most of the talent on this roster is home-grown or acquired via trade when they were still prospects or for that matter not even drafted makes the possibility of something I won't mention even sweeter if this thing I won't mention does happen. Unlike the days of yore when the team was made up of mercenaries and there wasn't as much parity in the league due to the lack of a cap.

UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:13 PM
UlfNilsson

In other words - no one can say "Your team bought that thing you won't mention".

UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
ThisYearsModel

The Rangers ofth e early 70's were the best Rang teams I have ever seen. They were stymied by Boston, and then by Philadelphia. There was a run of several years where they eliminated the prior year's cup winner only to choke themselves.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:01 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
317 goals for
192 goals against

I agree. No Orr, and that's a Cup win. He was so good it almost wasn't fair.

The Bobby Hull statement sums it up best after the first period he ever played against Orr. He went up to the ref and told him that we will need two pucks for the rest of the game because Orr has one all to himself the whole game.

I feel sorry for any hockey fan who never saw him play. You couldn't hate him. Hell, you, couldn't even dislike him.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:14 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I agree. No Orr, and that's a Cup win. He was so good it almost wasn't fair.

The Bobby Hull statement sums it up best after the first period he ever played against Orr. He went up to the ref and told him that we will need two pucks for the rest of the game because Orr has one all to himself the whole game.

I feel sorry for any hockey fan who never saw him play. You couldn't hate him. Hell, you, couldn't even dislike him.
I never saw Orr play but I think I've seen enough footage and game clips to realize he was just as dominant as Gretzky, if not a tad more. Poor Brad Park. Easily lost two or three Norris trophies because of Orr.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:49 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

A gritty hardworking team with a couple of skilled scorers and the league's best goalie. What more could you want?

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Foster Hewitt described the late-'20s and early-'30s Rangers, and compared them to the Soviets that were such a dominant team they could be argued amongst the best teams to ever exist in the sport.

Foster Hewitt said the Rangers were better.

The Cook-Boucher-Cook line and Johnson on the back end.

He said that team was dominant.

The interview is from the 1970's during the Summit Series in Russia. He came out of retirement to call the Summit Series. Foster Hewitt saw it all. Called it all. If he said that Rangers team was that good, id believe him.

That team won two Stanley Cups 28 and 33. And got to three more Finals 29, 32, and 37.

As far as we are concerned, that core of players are immortals.

Frank Boucher and Bill Cook are still 15th and 21st respectively in all-time scoring for the Rangers. About 70 years ago.

Immortals.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 04-01-2012 at 12:51 PM.
SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:02 AM
Chief

Is the success the Rangers have had this year really surprising? They had 93 points last season and added a true #1 center, had Gaborik go back to being one of the most dangerous snipers in the league and have the best goalie in the NHL. And while I'm at it, let's not forget a great coach. Heaven knows web haven't had one of those around MSG for years.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:58 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The impact Richards has had, on and off the ice, is as predicted.

True elite players make everyone better. On and off the ice.

A lot of us predicted a top four seed.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote