Old
03-30-2012, 07:17 PM
misterjaggers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDogBrewin View Post
http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=625045

"But there was no new news on Horton."

"No, still the same," said Julien. "He’s working out off the ice, but still hasn’t been cleared to step on the ice."

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=391779

"Hi Darren, do you know the latest status of Nathan Horton? Will he be back for the playoffs?

"A: Nathan Horton's status for the playoffs remains unchanged. The Bruins are hopeful, but Horton is still suffering from concussion symptoms such as some minor dizziness. However, he has been exercising vigorously, getting his heart rate up, etc., so there is some reason for optimism."

I feel much better that Horton isn't totally shelved at least he can workout. Nathan won't play in the playoffs if doesn't feel right regardless if he is cleared or not, it's his choice.
The last thing either the club or Horton wants is for him to return to action before he's 100% symptom free. With Savard, we've seen the tragic result of a player returning prematurely.

misterjaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Bruinator

Take Horton and Ryder out of the B's lineup and add Crosby and malkin to the Pen's lineup and I'm not sure how to be optimistic for the upcoming playoffs.

Bruinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 11:21 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinator View Post
Take Horton and Ryder out of the B's lineup and add Crosby and malkin to the Pen's lineup and I'm not sure how to be optimistic for the upcoming playoffs.
They won't be facing each other in the first round, so cross that bridge when you come to it.

The one thing I do know about the playoffs is that you can never take anything for granted.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:29 AM
gvkmedia
Preaching B's hockey

Quote:

Insert a full time Seguin into Hortons spot. Replace last years Seguin with Pouliot. Insert Rolston into Recchi's spot. Place a hungry Caron into the mix. Stir it up with a rabid fan base and watch the pot boil.

I am excited and willing to bet the Penguins will not be our down fall this playoff run.
It will be fun.

gvkmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:59 AM
CHegs1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvkmedia View Post
Insert a full time Seguin into Hortons spot. Replace last years Seguin with Pouliot. Insert Rolston into Recchi's spot. Place a hungry Caron into the mix. Stir it up with a rabid fan base and watch the pot boil.

I am excited and willing to bet the Penguins will not be our down fall this playoff run.
It will be fun.
Mmmmmmm, boiled Penguin. Tastes like chicken.

CHegs1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:36 AM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
The last thing either the club or Horton wants is for him to return to action before he's 100% symptom free. With Savard, we've seen the tragic result of a player returning prematurely.
Totally true. The move that had to be made was made, I guess. For everybody. It is what it is.

That being said, now with Horton gone, I don't know if we have enough offensive punch. Even with grinding out playoff games, I don't know if there will be enough clutch scorers to get us by.

I've feared this day.

I guess you say the same old thing that the coaches always say "someone will have to step up." That's all nice and all...but who?

Maybe we'll see some monstrous goals from guys like Rolston, or maybe even Caron will get moved up...maybe Big Z will go on a 'big blast' tare?! Pou-pou choo-choo?

Seems thin.

Losing Ryder and now Horton from last season's playoff team is losing A LOT of punch.

...Oh well, chip and a chair, I suppose.

Help us Tim Thomas...You're are only hope!

...*sighs*...Thanks for making my day.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:39 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers View Post
Exactly, and with the regular season finishing up, I just cringe at the thought of Horty, symptom free or not, try and return and amp it up to playoff level hockey after all the time he`s missed, and for what reasons he missed that time.

Does his absence hurt the B`s?? Sure it does, but I`d rather see a 100% mentally/physically healthy Nate at training camp next year, absolutely pumped to get er going again rather than see him struggle to keep up with the pace of playoff hockey.

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:53 AM
KrejciMVP

sigh... poor Horton

KrejciMVP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:30 AM
SanDogBrewin
Righteous bucks!

Quote:
Assuming the Peguins make it out of that war with the Flyers...

SanDogBrewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Dogberry
NHL2Seattle plzkthx

Have to say, I'm happy one of the Pens and Flyers won't make it out of the first round (assuming the matchup stays). My money says the Pens make it out of that, but pretty beat up in the process.

Dogberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:27 AM
redsox7327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDogBrewin View Post
Assuming the Peguins make it out of that war with the Flyers...
And assuming they beat the Rangers in round 2 if the seedings hold to form...

redsox7327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:56 AM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloveSave1 View Post
Totally true. The move that had to be made was made, I guess. For everybody. It is what it is.

That being said, now with Horton gone, I don't know if we have enough offensive punch. Even with grinding out playoff games, I don't know if there will be enough clutch scorers to get us by.

I've feared this day.

I guess you say the same old thing that the coaches always say "someone will have to step up." That's all nice and all...but who?

Maybe we'll see some monstrous goals from guys like Rolston, or maybe even Caron will get moved up...maybe Big Z will go on a 'big blast' tare?! Pou-pou choo-choo?

Seems thin.

Losing Ryder and now Horton from last season's playoff team is losing A LOT of punch.

...Oh well, chip and a chair, I suppose.

Help us Tim Thomas...You're are only hope!

...*sighs*...Thanks for making my day.
The thing is, we have an almost 5 game sample of what the Bruins could do offensively without Horton against the best team on the highest stage last year...final tally for those 5 games: Bruins 21, Canucks 3. Horton was either in an ambulance or in the pressbox, and Tim Thomas was an afterthought in each of the Bruins 4 wins in the Stanley Cup final. You can of course argue that it's a small sample w/o Horton, or that Ryder was a key reason why the Bruins enjoyed that offensive success, or they never would have got there without Horton and Thomas standing on his head...etc..etc...but it is a point worth mentioning.

Nobody expected Sean freaking Bergenheim to get 9 goals in 16 games for Tampa in the playoffs last year, or Joel Ward to get 7 in 12 for Nashville. The year before, Dave Bolland scored 8 in 22 games for the Blackhawks and Ville Leino got 7 in 19 games for the Flyers. The year before that Dan Cleary got 9 in 23 games for the Wings after getting 14 all year. Not saying he will, but Pouliot fits right in on that list of middling regular season goal scorers who catch fire in the PO's. Or maybe Kelly. Or maybe Peverley. Who knows at this point.

I'd also point to Tyler Seguin as a reason for some optimism in this year's PO's. He only played 13 games and scored 3 goals in the playoffs last year. I'd wager he's going to do a lot more this year.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:06 PM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

deleted

774EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:48 PM
GloveSave1
- 1 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ13 View Post
The thing is, we have an almost 5 game sample of what the Bruins could do offensively without Horton against the best team on the highest stage last year...final tally for those 5 games: Bruins 21, Canucks 3. Horton was either in an ambulance or in the pressbox, and Tim Thomas was an afterthought in each of the Bruins 4 wins in the Stanley Cup final. You can of course argue that it's a small sample w/o Horton, or that Ryder was a key reason why the Bruins enjoyed that offensive success, or they never would have got there without Horton and Thomas standing on his head...etc..etc...but it is a point worth mentioning.

Nobody expected Sean freaking Bergenheim to get 9 goals in 16 games for Tampa in the playoffs last year, or Joel Ward to get 7 in 12 for Nashville. The year before, Dave Bolland scored 8 in 22 games for the Blackhawks and Ville Leino got 7 in 19 games for the Flyers. The year before that Dan Cleary got 9 in 23 games for the Wings after getting 14 all year. Not saying he will, but Pouliot fits right in on that list of middling regular season goal scorers who catch fire in the PO's. Or maybe Kelly. Or maybe Peverley. Who knows at this point.

I'd also point to Tyler Seguin as a reason for some optimism in this year's PO's. He only played 13 games and scored 3 goals in the playoffs last year. I'd wager he's going to do a lot more this year.
Good points for optimism, man. Asking an even better Tyler Seguin to make up for Ryder and now Horton...hmmm...I don't know. I guess the Pou-pou Choo Choo is here to fill in...Who knows?...Maybe he'll be a playoff performer, like Ryder.

Ehh, in the end this team is all about goaltending, defense, and then trying to find those all important clutch goals in the playoffs.
I hope it works out for us. It would be awesome to see someone REALLY step up this season.

GloveSave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:52 PM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
So .....

Pouliot instead of Ryder
Seguin instead of Recchi
Caron instead of Horton
Zanon instead of Kaberle
Rolston maybe instead of Paille.

Last years team way better on paper going in IMO and they won the Cup...

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:00 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
So .....

Pouliot instead of Ryder
Seguin instead of Recchi
Caron instead of Horton
Zanon instead of Kaberle

Sure, but we're gonna give em hell before we're done

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
So .....

Pouliot instead of Ryder
Seguin instead of Recchi
Caron instead of Horton
Zanon instead of Kaberle

They don't play the games on paper, though.

Not many people chose the Bruins to win the Cup last year. There is no way to predict what will happen. I never expect anything, I just cheer the Bruins on and enjoy the ride.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:25 PM
ap3lovr

I hope Horton is back in time for the 2nd round.

ap3lovr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:41 PM
Open Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3lovr View Post
Only in some sort of miracle situation. I'd rather he get shut down for the permanently even into next season. We need him, but enough with the risk. Shut it down.

Open Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:47 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Like savard right?

It's in Horton's and the team's best interest that he sit out until next season. Even if he's cleared, he's going to play tentatively, just like he did for months after he was out and healthy for most of the summer. Then what happens if he takes another big hit? The hit that put him out this time was mild at best. Another one could end his career for good. No no, I don't think we'll see Nate back this season and for good reason.

Old
03-31-2012, 06:15 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
Like savard right?

It's in Horton's and the team's best interest that he sit out until next season. Even if he's cleared, he's going to play tentatively, just like he did for months after he was out and healthy for most of the summer. Then what happens if he takes another big hit? The hit that put him out this time was mild at best. Another one could end his career for good. No no, I don't think we'll see Nate back this season and for good reason.

Keep in mind the 2nd round is a month away. If the Doctor says he is ready, then he's in this lineup. He is making progress, and that is good. I certainly wouldn't shut him down for the year at this point in time.

Old
03-31-2012, 06:18 PM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Quote:
Keep in mind the 2nd round is a month away. If the Doctor says he is ready, then he's in this lineup. He is making progress, and that is good. I certainly wouldn't shut him down for the year at this point in time.
For hortons sake I pray the team doesn't feel the same way

Old
03-31-2012, 06:26 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
So .....

Pouliot instead of Ryder
Seguin instead of Recchi
Caron instead of Horton
Zanon instead of Kaberle

I look at it like:

Seguin instead of Horton - this year better
Rolston instead of Recchi - wash
Pouliot instead of Ryder - last year better
Caron instead of Paille - wash, especially since Paille's still there
Zanon instead of Kaberle - last year better O, this year better D

"Way better" might be a bit of an overstatement. Matter of opinion with respect to whether Rolston replaces Recchi, but his play the last 10 games has shown me he can. In any event, the '11-'12 Bruins aren't playing the '10-'11 Bruins...I'm a lot more worried about the '11-'12 Penguins. If 'on paper' carries the day, then the Eastern Conference champion is pretty much already decided IMO.

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:34 PM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
So .....

Pouliot instead of Ryder
Seguin instead of Recchi
Caron instead of Horton
Zanon instead of Kaberle

Wow I disagree.

Seguin this year over Horton last year, that's a wash imho.

All the other spots to me are wins this year. Rolston is outplaying 2011 Rex and it's not close.

I take Zanon in our system way before Kaberle, and we have Mottau/Corvo as nhl ready depth.

All the other guys you list, there's zero dropoff.

If you want the honest difference between this year and last, it's Tim. Will he be the same?

As long as our PP is better than 2011, it may not matter. That would help lift Tim a bit.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:34 PM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
For hortons sake I pray the team doesn't feel the same way
If we are going to start treating him like a fine piece of china, then he should retire. If his health is in such a dire situation, why bring him back next year. He might get hit and he might end up hurt. If the doctor says he is ready, then you play him.