HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

List of candidates for GM and Coach Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2012, 12:52 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
IMO about the discussion about Patrick Roy and where would he go if he had the choice, I've thought about this and I think Quebec would need a hero for the promotion and Montreal needs a surgeon. That is why I think Patrick should go to Quebec and the Habs should hire a Pat Brisson who is a powerful agent and is the kind of bright guy with new ideas that would bring the org into the 21th Century. Habs needs a guy like Pierre Lacroix did with the Avs. Avs had good players but needed someone to come and be bright enough to maximizes the assets that they had to bring them to the next level. Habs have a few interesting assets and Brisson is the same sort of type than Lacroix I feel. Hungry, ambitious, professional.

Old
03-31-2012, 06:40 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What has damphousse ever done to show he can handle Player development more than Timmins? People need to stop mentioning him.
1) Was born with a French last name
2) Better yet was born French Canadian
3) Was a former captain
4) Was on antichambre next to Bergeron so he looked intelligent and that's only because he didn't talk as much as Bergie.
5) Hated Andrei
6) Beat up his wife (seems to be a prime criteria for getting a position with the Habs just look at Saint Patrick)
7) Is a nifty dresser
8) And has a mean look when he's trying to think

i honestly think if he ever gets a position in this organization he'll make us wish for the days of Gauthier and Houle. This guy is a disaster waiting for a place to explode.

Old
03-31-2012, 06:57 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Pat Hickey was on the radio last night talking about how good Martin would be as our coach again.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:11 AM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
IMO about the discussion about Patrick Roy and where would he go if he had the choice, I've thought about this and I think Quebec would need a hero for the promotion and Montreal needs a surgeon. That is why I think Patrick should go to Quebec and the Habs should hire a Pat Brisson who is a powerful agent and is the kind of bright guy with new ideas that would bring the org into the 21th Century. Habs needs a guy like Pierre Lacroix did with the Avs. Avs had good players but needed someone to come and be bright enough to maximizes the assets that they had to bring them to the next level. Habs have a few interesting assets and Brisson is the same sort of type than Lacroix I feel. Hungry, ambitious, professional.
Roy said it himself when we retired his jersey ''Je suis de retour à la maison''. He's saying he'd consider québec only to prevent a mass suicide in the village.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieBrasco View Post
Roy said it himself when we retired his jersey ''Je suis de retour à la maison''. He's saying he'd consider québec only to prevent a mass suicide in the village.
His real "Maison" is Quebec city though. He's happy there and it would take a lot for him to move. Also I think people in La Capitale would understand if he decided to go to Montreal so don't worry about people injuring themselves. I think it would be more of an uproar if he doesn't come to Montreal. People would be jumping off bridges and it would be hard for the guy that comes in who is not Patrick. Habs fans would always compare him to Roy.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:37 AM
DonnieBrasco

Quote:
His real "Maison" is Quebec city though. He's happy there and it would take a lot for him to move. Also I think people in La Capitale would understand if he decided to go to Montreal so don't worry about people injuring themselves. I think it would be more of an uproar if he doesn't come to Montreal. People would be jumping off bridges and it would be hard for the guy that comes in who is not Patrick. Habs fans would always compare him to Roy.
That is somewhat correct, but Patrick Roy sees himself holding up the cup as a ''Bleu Blanc Rouge''. And not as a Nordiques. Only then would Tom Hanks produce a hockey movie.

Old
03-31-2012, 08:38 AM
Subban76

Quote:
No. Many of us are not that excited at the idea of Roy as coach. Not against it, but I'm not going to complain if its someone else.

Results will speak louder than words. Even if Roy is the coach.

Old
03-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Frankc

Funny to see that people doesn't want Damphousse based on fact that he got no experience.

So what ?

The last great GM Montreal had was Serge Savard... the guy played his last game in NHL in 1983 for the Jets... then a few weeks later was named Montreal GM. He was also the GM for the farm club that won the calder cup in 85 before Habs winning stanley cup in 1986.

GM is not about experience, it's about being smart and having a lot of hockey knowledge. A lot of GM had no experience but did great things.. Yzerman the last on that list. His trade history so far is very impressive, but definitely missing a goalie...
Lamiorello, had no experience at all before naming himself GM in 87 (after being named President of the Devils). Mike Gillis had no experience as GM either.

Not saying Damphousse is the best pick, just saying that experience is not everything... Best proof is Brian Burke...

Even us, fans, knew when Gauthier was making a mistake, and we don't have any experience as a GM to know that we got ****ed up when we trade McDonaugh, or when Gauthier gave 1.75m for Campoli... etc..

Old
03-31-2012, 10:06 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankc View Post
Funny to see that people doesn't want Damphousse based on fact that he got no experience.

So what ?

The last great GM Montreal had was Serge Savard... the guy played his last game in NHL in 1983 for the Jets... then a few weeks later was named Montreal GM. He was also the GM for the farm club that won the calder cup in 85 before Habs winning stanley cup in 1986.

GM is not about experience, it's about being smart and having a lot of hockey knowledge. A lot of GM had no experience but did great things.. Yzerman the last on that list. His trade history so far is very impressive, but definitely missing a goalie...
Lamiorello, had no experience at all before naming himself GM in 87 (after being named President of the Devils). Mike Gillis had no experience as GM either.

Not saying Damphousse is the best pick, just saying that experience is not everything... Best proof is Brian Burke...

Even us, fans, knew when Gauthier was making a mistake, and we don't have any experience as a GM to know that we got ****ed up when we trade McDonaugh, or when Gauthier gave 1.75m for Campoli... etc..
At least Yzerman put together a gold-winning Team Canada. Damphousse's experience: he talks on RDS. This isn't the time for experiments. Our last 2 player GMs (Houle and Gainey) didnt turn out splendidly. They had an utter lack of ability to evaluate players values.

I want someone who has proven he knows how to evaluate players effectively in order to be able to sign player's at their true worth and to make beneficial trades.

Damphousse could be a Savard or Lamouriello or he could be another Houle and end up trading Price for a couple 2nd liners and a crap goalie. You willing to take that chance?

Old
03-31-2012, 10:07 AM
DonnieBrasco

Players are now talking about Roy http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...eil_ECRAN1POS2...

Old
03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
BeliveauFan4ever

No idea who gets the GM job, but I think McGuire would be a good hire for a significant role on the personnel side/scouting side, like Director of Player Personnel and Scouting. It would speak to his strength.

I would especially like to see this if it is Brisebois who gets the GM post.

Bergevin is intriguing.

Scouting-wise, not 100 per cent sold on Timmins, he's OK in my book but not "great."

The scouting staff needs to be revamped and expanded, with more and better eyes in Europe.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:36 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Ben Groulx leaves the Olympiques...

http://25stanley.com/benoit-groulx-q...medium=twitter

Old
03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Players are now talking about Roy http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...eil_ECRAN1POS2...
Wow. Just wow.

My first thought while reading that was - as far as I know - not one player said : "Cunneyworth is our coach I don't want to disrespect him by discussing about a potential replacement. For all I know, he's coming back as head coach next year and I'd look like an idiot telling you about how good of a pick someone else would be."

No matter the fact that RC is a lame duck coach appointed temporarily, I find it disrespectful if not borderline idiotic of these players to give their opinion on who could make a good replacement before he is even fired. And I'm clearly not RC's biggest fan.

Still, this kinda gives us an insight at how much of a mess that locker room is. And people think Gorges is captain material in Montreal..

Old
03-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post

He'd make a good head coach under GM Patrick Roy, with Advisor Savard mentoring, and a capologist as AGM

Old
03-31-2012, 10:50 AM
SnapVirus

Quote:

Quote:
Two really interesting reads.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:59 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Wow. Just wow.

My first thought while reading that was - as far as I know - not one player said : "Cunneyworth is our coach I don't want to disrespect him by discussing about a potential replacement. For all I know, he's coming back as head coach next year and I'd look like an idiot telling you about how good of a pick someone else would be."

No matter the fact that RC is a lame duck coach appointed temporarily, I find it disrespectful if not borderline idiotic of these players to give their opinion on who could make a good replacement before he is even fired. And I'm clearly not RC's biggest fan.

Still, this kinda gives us an insight at how much of a mess that locker room is. And people think Gorges is captain material in Montreal..
What do you expect? The Habs organization already went public saying RC is interim and Molson publicly apologized for hiring a unilingual coach. Not to mention, the players haven't had much success under RC. Molson said he wanted to clean house and that the new GM would choose the coach so it's a foregone conclusion that RC will not be the coach next yr.

And Gorges IS captain material. His job is to play hockey and be a leader in the locker room. It's not to protect the interim coaches feelings

Old
03-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Roulin

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

In principle I agree with you. If taken alone, the quotes in this article don't show appropriate respect for Cunneyworth. But, it's a short print article - we don't know the questions asked, and we can assume the players' actual statements were longer, and edited down to just the meatiest stuff about Patrick. I'd like to give the players the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:06 AM
s04

Roy brings a lot of intangibles; knows what it takes to win, passion and leadership skills.

But he's getting out coached in juniors...so...

Would love to see Habs get Bergevin as their GM btw.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Wow. Just wow.

this reflects poorly only on one person... Gauthier.

It simply highlights how badly he handicapped RC from day one. You can't fault the players for being honest, every single one of them knew from the start that RC was a lame duck coach.

if anything, how hard guys like Gorges, Subban, Price, DD, Cole & others played, despite the season crumbling and everyone knowing that the coach was a "rental", reflects positively on their character & professionalism.

with 4 games to go and the situation being what it is, while I agree that it would show more respect to RC to simply "no comment" those questions, I think even RC would cut them some slack.

luckily, Mister who orchestrated this gong show is gone.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
What do you expect? The Habs organization already went public saying RC is interim and Molson publicly apologized for hiring a unilingual coach. Not to mention, the players haven't had much success under RC. Molson said he wanted to clean house and that the new GM would choose the coach so it's a foregone conclusion that RC will not be the coach next yr.

And Gorges IS captain material. His job is to play hockey and be a leader in the locker room. It's not to protect the interim coaches feelings
It is a foregone conclusion, and I agree with you. But I'd still want my captain to show respect for the position of head coach (even interim) no matter who is there at the time. I don't think it's very smart of Gorges to say this. I'd want my captain to understand the full implications of all questions and be able to use easy deflections to not give an answer to questions like these. Not that it's a huge deal. But I'm just a little shocked that 3 players actually volunteered their opinion on this subject, especially Gorges who is considered by many as potential captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
In principle I agree with you. If taken alone, the quotes in this article don't show appropriate respect for Cunneyworth. But, it's a short print article - we don't know the questions asked, and we can assume the players' actual statements were longer, and edited down to just the meatiest stuff about Patrick. I'd like to give the players the benefit of the doubt on this one.
Still, they did give their opinion when they could have just refused to. But you're right. It's a bit precocious of me to judge just based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
this reflects poorly only on one person... Gauthier.

It simply highlights how badly he handicapped RC from day one. You can't fault the players for being honest, every single one of them knew from the start that RC was a lame duck coach.

if anything, how hard guys like Gorges, Subban, Price, DD, Cole & others played, despite the season crumbling and everyone knowing that the coach was a "rental", reflects positively on their character & professionalism.

with 4 games to go and the situation being what it is, while I agree that it would show more respect to RC to simply "no comment" those questions, I think even RC would cut them some slack.

luckily, Mister who orchestrated this gong show is gone.
True. You're right, in retrospect I should have said it gave us an insight in how much of a gong show the management of the team was.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:22 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by s04 View Post
Roy brings a lot of intangibles; knows what it takes to win, passion and leadership skills.

But he's getting out coached in juniors...so...

Would love to see Habs get Bergevin as their GM btw.
How is he getting outcoached? The Remparts finished 5th in the standings and 4th overall in points and they swept Drummondville in 4 games in the first round. And outside Grigorenko and Domingue they have no notables on the team.

Last yr the Remparts finished 3rd overall.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:26 AM
Gustave

Quote:

Now here's a head coach by trade. Quality addition to any organization.

However, how can these moves be related to the Habs when the GM isn't even appointed yet? Unless it's going faster than we think behind closed doors.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:28 AM
s04

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
How is he getting outcoached? The Remparts finished 5th in the standings and 4th overall in points and they swept Drummondville in 4 games in the first round. And outside Grigorenko and Domingue they have no notables on the team.

Last yr the Remparts finished 3rd overall.
Just watch the games to know. Ass. coach M.Laperrière deserves a lot of credit for all the on ice results, even though Roy improved over the years.

No other notables aside from Grigorenko and Domingue?

Two first-rounders next year in Adam Erne and Anthony Duclair.

NHL pick this year in Brassard. Panthers draft pick Logan Shaw. Gabriel Desjardins and Fred Roy are two good players in the Q. Martin Lefebvre is one of the most underrated D in the league and Mick Tam is one of the most experienced D in the league as well.

Not to mention they added Marc-Antoine Carrier and all the other solid Q players.

They have a pretty solid team...

Old
03-31-2012, 11:30 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hounds919293 View Post

Scouting-wise, not 100 per cent sold on Timmins, he's OK in my book but not "great."

The scouting staff needs to be revamped and expanded, with more and better eyes in Europe.
Those two lines discredit anything else you have to say. It's on par to saying Gretzsky, Lemieux, Beliveau, Richard, Orr, I'm not really sold on them. they ok but not great.

You realize between 03 and 07 he drafted 18 NHlers? Do you know how many the next team drafted? If you don't go do some research. Ignorance is not an excuse for those two sentences.

Old
03-31-2012, 11:32 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

What about Pascal Vincent, hes current assistant coach of the Jets, and I think he'll do a good job with the Habs, he was also coach of the Montreal Juniors and never missed the playoffs with them, and last but not least he speaks French, and for your GM hire either Briesbos or Giguere.

Closed Thread