HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#78 KINGS @ OILERS, 3/30/12 = Thoughts & Tidbits ... WE WIN! and move into 3rd

Old
03-31-2012, 02:49 AM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
*Fourth overall in hits among all defensemen and second on the Kings in hits (behind Dustin Brown).

*Second on the Kings behind only Willie Mitchell in shorthanded ice time.

*Third most blocks on the Kings with 105.

Greene's an integral part of a defensive unit that is the 2nd best in the NHL. He's rather undervalued around here and it is a shame how often his name is brought up as an expendable part. This isn't Jarret Stoll we're talking about.
Meh I chalk it up as the same thing that happens; when that stupid thread pops up every year about Brown.

I mean Brown and Greene are pretty important to this team. I wish more people would give them a break once in awhile.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:49 AM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
*Fourth overall in hits among all defensemen and second on the Kings in hits (behind Dustin Brown).

*Second on the Kings behind only Willie Mitchell in shorthanded ice time.

*Third most blocks on the Kings with 105.

Greene's an integral part of a defensive unit that is the 2nd best in the NHL. He's rather undervalued around here and it is a shame how often his name is brought up as an expendable part. This isn't Jarret Stoll we're talking about.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Not to mention his vocal leadership on and off the ice.

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:54 AM
Synergy85

Knowing Sutter and how important these last 4 games are, my guess is he starts Quick.

I really love how in the last two games, with a lead in the third, we continue to press hard instead of sitting back and just try to weather the storm.

Last back-to-back game of the season boys, leave it all on the ice, then rest up the next day.

Synergy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:08 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Solid win. If they get another two points tonight I'll feel pretty good about our chances, it's gonna be a grind though!

Kopi and Richards were 80% on draws

Brown was great, Richardson made me sad.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:14 AM
Willard
Kings All The Way

Quote:
I think they let Parse walk since he is a UFA who can never stay healthy, and they either buy out or just give away Richardson for scraps/future considerations. He's useless to them.

His spot has already been filled with the likes of King and Nolan coming through, and with more holes opening up front with the pending departure of Penner and possibly Stoll and Fraser, I could see the Kings giving a good look to other players like Loktionov, Cliche, Moller, Holloway, Kozun, what have you.

I'm imagining that we won't see any lineup changes for tomorrow. Westgarth is useless against Minnesota. Then again, he is pretty useless against anyone in today's NHL. I consider him another expendable part, but somehow those types seem to get rewarded with extensions from Lombardi (see Zeiler and Drewiske).
Agree with everything you say, except Fraser is playing quite well and did so again tonight. He has totally stabilized what I now see as a very reliable fourth line that is delivering exactly what is being asked of them, and in that sense Fraser is filling a Kris Draper-like consistent role for the Kings. He is clicking with Clifford and Nolan, the three of them are pursuing pucks and actually holding onto pucks, and give no reason to break them up or scratch any of them. Even well into the third period we are still seeing these guys come over the boards, unlike the patchwork fourth lines of a lot of other teams. I see no reason why the Kings should get rid of Fraser.

Last edited by Willard: 03-31-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:15 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Also Richards had one of his best games since his concussion.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:44 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Would anyone want to see Carter kopi and brown be on one line and keep Jw with Richards. I think that's a more lethal combo honestly for both lines. I don't want to take anything away from Jw and carts but Richards tries harder without carts. I think Jw's speed gives the line more of a buzz

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:36 AM
Minor Boarding

Fun fact: Tambellini/Lowe once again showed their incompetence when they tried to call up MPS before the Kings game after already using the 4 transactions rule. The league actually had to inform the Oilers management that they need to learn how to count to four.

Talk about idiots running organizations. That was plain major facepalm worthy.

As for the game, one team played and the other watched...

Minor Boarding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:45 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Kopi's "dont shoot" has sneaked into his game again. Please shoot it your shot is one of the kind.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:03 AM
Cup 4 the Kings
It only took 45 yrs!

Just finished watching the game, and I couldn't be more pleased with how dominant the Kings were in this game (sans the PP, but that's another story). They looked in sync and their puck pursuit was incredible, winning most races to 50/50 pucks.

Like most of you touched on, I was really disappointed with Richardson. I'm sure he's got a little rust to shake off, but I counted at least 3 golden opportunities to score on beautiful set-ups from Kopi, and he got his shot blocked EVERY TIME!

Also in agreement with some posters here, I liked the chemistry Richards and Jdub had this game. When Carter comes back, I honestly wouldn't be opposed to keeping them together and moving Carter up to the 1st line on Kopi's wing. On to Minnesota. Go Kings!!!!

Cup 4 the Kings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:14 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpa View Post
Kopi's "dont shoot" has sneaked into his game again. Please shoot it your shot is one of the kind.
Im glad im not the only one who noticed

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:06 AM
damacles1156

Well I got to say at least Tom Renney is honest.

(Question about only 13 shots) post game:

Tom Renney " We just started telling our guys to shoot from the red line, maybe we get a rebound off the boards".....

Sutter sounded so excited about Brown's game. I think Brownie is Sutter's wet dream....

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:37 AM
topliner967

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Would anyone want to see Carter kopi and brown be on one line and keep Jw with Richards. I think that's a more lethal combo honestly for both lines. I don't want to take anything away from Jw and carts but Richards tries harder without carts. I think Jw's speed gives the line more of a buzz
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Williams (when he's on his game) is pretty good at retrieving pucks and keeping them alive, and Richards took on more of a leader role on his line with Carter out. Carter might be able to get some more open space and scoring chances playing with Kopitar/Brown. I guess most teams would focus on shutting down the Kopi line, but if the Richards/Williams combo can get going they'll be a real threat as well.

topliner967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:03 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Was I the only one that whispered to themselves that Mike Richards would score when he was breaking in all alone on Khabibulin shorthanded? The guy is remarkable on breakaways, especially shorthanded

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Whiskeypete

great game for 60-minutes. only things i saw that need improvement are the PP, better passing and Richie.

PP still needs to be more decisive up ice to gain entry and more movement once in the zone. guys are staying static for to long, making the PK an easier. static PP guys and a zoned PK unit filling the seams equates to having a 5th guy out there. LA does this every time they are on the PK, so they should realize this.

tape to tape passing at times was sloppy and poor. definitely an area of concern, since this leads to TO's and slows down up ice transition. there was one pass from the D to MR that left me scratching my head. i think it was DD or AMart to MR, couldn't tell with the camera angle and they didn't show it again. the pass from the D was 2-3 feet behind MR and into his skates coming out of the LA zone. no pressure of note on the passer and he still puts it into Richards skates, which nearly lead to EDM picking it up at the LA blueline.

i have to agree that I think we are at the end of seeing Richie in a Kings sweater. last night i will chalk it up to be rusty and likely being revved up after being scratched. love his speed and up ice pursuit, but as far as i am concerned we have seen enough. no reason to bring him back imo. smart org's move along at this point and try different options when it comes to players. give someone else a chance from MAN and this summer sign a UFA.

absolute dominant performance last night. JQ's glove hand saves were sick. the save on Nuge was sweet, but the one on Sutton was even better i thought. he had to come across the crease for it and read the play before the pass to Sutton was even made. EDM only had that late charge in the end of the 2nd, the rest of the night they were blanketed by LA.

Fraser's line again was good. not quite as good as against CAL, but only because they didn't get the same amount of offensive chances. they were pinning EDM deep in their zone, killing time, hammering the EDM dmen, etc. a solid game from the plumbers. again i think Fraser has done a good job and with Big Red and Nolan they have gel'ed into a damn good #4.

i like the suggestion of the Carter-JW swap. anything that will get MR looking to shoot more is a bonus. another thing that I've noticed is MR will work through a D and dangle more looking for a shot, when he isn't looking to pass to Carter. as a result he controls tempo and puck possession in the O zone, which gives his linemates time to set up for either a shot or rebound.

i hope BBF plays JB tonight for obvious reasons. playing JQ tonight is taking to much of a chance at this point. if anything bad is to happen to a goalie it's on a back to back, especially within 24 hours.

damn good effort, damn good game....let's go boys

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:26 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Just watched the TSN highlights and there was a shot of Jeff Carter in a walking boot, that definitely can't be a good thing. I knew it was an ankle injury, definitely didn't think he'd be in a walking boot. This might be a little bit worst than we originally thought

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Just watched the TSN highlights and there was a shot of Jeff Carter in a walking boot, that definitely can't be a good thing. I knew it was an ankle injury, definitely didn't think he'd be in a walking boot. This might be a little bit worst than we originally thought
possibly, but it can also be preventive. isolate the ankle and limit the stresses on the joint by keeping it in a boot. some of them also have gel packs in them that can be heated/cooled to treat the injury

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:32 AM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Well you'd have to think if it was something major it would have already been announced by now. The game against Calgary was on Wednesday so there has been plenty of time for x-rays and what not to determine the severity of the injury.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
Well you'd have to think if it was something major it would have already been announced by now. The game against Calgary was on Wednesday so there has been plenty of time for x-rays and what not to determine the severity of the injury.
You want the Edmonton doctors looking at Carter's Ankle?

No thanks, they would probably amputate.

Kings doctors will take a look on Monday morning.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:40 AM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
They already knew they were resting him, so might as well go the whole way. I expect to see him back for the Oilers.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Just to add to the stuff about King. I love how he knows the type of player he is. He knows he doesn't have the talent level of the other top 6 guys, so whenever he gets the puck on a break or in the offensive zone, his first action is always to get the puck to the better player then get to the net himself, or if no pass is available, just get the puck on net. He is picking up most of his points on pure effort and heart, relentless forechecking and willingness to take a beating infront of the net

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

oh i forgot to mention how awesome it was in the 3rd period when that Oiler injured himself by checking the boards trying to hit Doughty who put the brakes on just before contact

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Aussie King

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Just to add to the stuff about King. I love how he knows the type of player he is. He knows he doesn't have the talent level of the other top 6 guys, so whenever he gets the puck on a break or in the offensive zone, his first action is always to get the puck to the better player then get to the net himself, or if no pass is available, just get the puck on net. He is picking up most of his points on pure effort and heart, relentless forechecking and willingness to take a beating infront of the net
He shows nice hands at times too!

Aussie King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
johnjm22

Hopefully this game was a sign that Richard's struggles are behind him. If he can turn the corner, AND the Kings can get their PP going, this team will be extremely difficult to beat.

We win the next two games against the Wild and Oilers, and we're basically in the playoffs.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You want the Edmonton doctors looking at Carter's Ankle?

No thanks, they would probably amputate.

Kings doctors will take a look on Monday morning.
Why not fly back to LA this morning to get 2 full days of rest for it?

And like others have said, there were several times last night that the Kings backed off of the shot, passed, and then got no shot at all. SHOOT!!

Quick is still kicking himself this morning for not getting another shutout last night.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote