HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Iginla - Stay or Trade?

View Poll Results: Should Iginla be traded for the right package?
Yes 69 81.18%
No 16 18.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2012, 11:09 AM
  #51
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Yes I do think there is a system that work. Look at our team and look at a team like Nashville or St. Louis. On paper we are just as good as them, on the ice that is not the case.

Coaching is a significant downfall of this team.

just look at our forward group


We have 3 wingers (Iginla, Tanguay & Cammalleri) that could be 70 point players if used effectively.

We have 2 centermen (Olli & Stajan) that have multiple 50 point seasons under their belts.

We have Glencross who would have easily been a 50 point player this season had it not been for his injury.

We have 3 former 20 goal scorers (Stempniak, Comeau and Moss) that fill out our 3rd line and see spot duty in the top 6 when there are injuries.

then we also have a good young two-way centerman who hasn't have the offensive reigns taken off him yet in Backlund (at least IMO) waiting to have some sort of a break out season.

and yet we are 25th in the league for goals for? its mind numbing how bad this team is offensively with all the offensive weapons we have. This team should be top 10 in scoring with 3 lines that can score, but with Brent Sutter's system we are near the bottom forcing players into roles they are not suited for.

Stajan is a good example, 2 time 50 point center, he starts playing for Sutter and immediately his offense dries up and he gets tossed on the 3rd and 4th lines.

Comeau is another example, the kid is creating a **** load of chances but Sutter won't put someone to clean up the garbage on the line with him, instead he puts Comeau with a softer perimeter playing (albeit recently more feisty) Stajan and a shooter in Stempniak. If Comeau was playing with Glencross or Moss someone would be near the net to bury those chances.

Moss is another example, he has a poor camp and gets made the #1 center due to injuries even though he is far from a top line player and horrid on faceoffs, someone being adequate defensively does mean they are capable of being an NHL center.

And that's just looking at our forwards.

Don't get me wrong I fault Feaster a bit too as he failed to address a HUGE need for this club in faceoffs and a guy that can stand in front of the net on the PP (Ryan Smyth would have been ideal). I will give him a bit of a pass because he was close to getting Smyth and he had his hands tied by Darryl's poor cap management. But he easily could have picked up Steckel from the Devils for the pick he traded to NJ for Letourneau-Leblond which would have finally given us a faceoff specialist to use on the PK and late in games. Which IMO would have saved us at least a couple blown leads.
Oh my, keep drinking that Kool-Aid... As good as St. Louis and Nashville?

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:13 AM
  #52
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
Oh my, keep drinking that Kool-Aid... As good as St. Louis and Nashville?
clearly you missed the words "on paper" neither of those teams are star studded, they just have boat loads of depth. Much like us if the guys we have are used properly. They are excellent examples because they have great coaches who know how to get the most from their players.

And yes on paper we are every bit as good as the Blues and Predators.

your ignorance and hate for your own team is pretty sad.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:43 AM
  #53
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post

And yes on paper we are every bit as good as the Blues and Predators.
A truly laughable statement.

Each of these teams has boatlaods of young improving talent.. Calgary's best players are regressing.

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:45 AM
  #54
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slappipappi View Post
A truly laughable statement.

Each of these teams has boatlaods of young improving talent.. Calgary's best players are regressing.
of course you would say this, don't you have a bridge to protect?

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
  #55
Body Checker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
it is really hard to say, people like to crap on Tko a bit, but he had a role and was effective when used in said role. However when he was thrown onto the 3rd and even 2nd lines it was a HUGE mistake IMO, but that is Sutter's fault and not Kostopolous' he only has certain attributes and he does work his ass off every shift. We have more talented player to fill those roles though and Byron is definitely one of those guys, if Byron could win faceoffs I would consider him for a 3rd or 4th line center role next season

However I am afraid that Byron will be lost in the shuffle a bit next year as I think Nemisz is better suited for the NHL at this point in time and Bouma and Horak have surpassed him on the depth chart. Then you add in Jackman re-signing and Beartschi and you have 4 guys fighting for 2 positions (I guess Horak might fight for a center spot but I really hope not since he is a liability in the faceoff circle) and I would prefer any of them be in Abbotsford next year over being the 13th forward.

Also consider we have a good amount of cap space, we could really make a pitch at one or 2 of the defensemen on the market and sure up our defense and would make it so our forwards can take more risks (assuming a new coach is in place).

And since Kiprusoff has shown he tends to struggle when the team opens up in front of him maybe its time to move him and platoon Irving with a Marty Biron, Josh Harding or Tomas Vokoun. I think this team has enough offensive tools to be very effective playing more of a fire wagon style game.

I proposed this in a Leafs thread in the trade forum but never got too much feedback, but I suggested the following:

to
(G) Miikka Kiprusoff
(D) Brett Carson
(Pick) 1st in 2012
to
(C) Joe Colborne
(D) Mike Komisarek
(Pick) 1st in 2012

this would give the Flames a top 10 pick, a rugged physical defenseman (albeit overpaid) to play with Brodie on the 3rd pairing and a good center prospect with size.

another deal I would very much consider is something around Giordano and Mike Green (assuming we are going to a more offensive brand of hockey) as Green brings in a right handed shot and is a true PP QB that we sorely lack. Also I think Green could very much compliment Bouwmeester on the PP like McCabe did during his time in Florida. And speaking of Bouwmeester I think an uptempo offensive system would very much compliment what he brings and make him much more dangerous offensively.
I'm not against moving Kiprusoff because his outstanding goaltending still has us on the outside looking in the last 3 seasons.

I like the Toronto trade proposal. Move up in the draft and get a big center.

I wouldn't give up Giordano for Green though because I think Green's value has decreased and IF Washington bombs again by either missing the playoffs or losing in the 1st round I think Green could be had for cheaper. Or maybe a package deal centered around Green and Kiprusoff which gives us an extra 1st rounder as they have two this June.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:50 PM
  #56
lof
Registered User
 
lof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Iggy has been the Ultimate Flame for his entire career. Why would the Flames move him? I'm not sure the assets you would receive in return would match what he already brings to the team.

Iggy is the face of a struggling franchise. He deserves to make the call, as his contract states, as to whether he moves or not. He holds all the cards and hopefully Fester will allow him to be part of a re-build if Iggy wants to stay. He will be a great leader and role model for all of the youngsters the Flames SHOULD be bringing into the lineup in future seasons.

A $7M salary is tough to move... Almost 10% of a team's payroll.

I say he stays in Calgary to finish his career. Kipper, too.

lof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:52 PM
  #57
Kurse*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
I regretted flames couldn't acquire wayne simmonds from LA. I wonder if the Flames would have traded Iggy for Simmonds straight up? I would have IMO. Not as talented as vintage Iggy, nonetheless, a guy who plays hard all the time.

Kurse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:44 AM
  #58
Ozil
Registered User
 
Ozil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
This is a really hard one because I love Iggy and he's been my favorite Flame and I'd love to see him retire a Flame for all that he's done. Having said that, I'm also aware that the team is in decline and is at a crossroads

The team as is isn't bad enough to be a lottery team nor good enough to win a Cup. Plus, the core is getting older and time's running out. As much as it pains me to say this, I say we trade Iginla if the team can get something good in return. I know he's 35 and declining, but in the right situation, he can still be effective.

Painful times these are, but this team needs a shakeup

Ozil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:59 AM
  #59
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,255
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
clearly you missed the words "on paper" neither of those teams are star studded, they just have boat loads of depth. Much like us if the guys we have are used properly. They are excellent examples because they have great coaches who know how to get the most from their players.

And yes on paper we are every bit as good as the Blues and Predators.

your ignorance and hate for your own team is pretty sad.
Right, they're fighting it out for the top spot in the West and we've missed the playoffs three years in a row and were barely squeaking into the playoffs before that with the second oldest roster in the league and we've always been a cap team. I sure am ignorant...

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:05 PM
  #60
Perceptor
Registered User
 
Perceptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 36
vCash: 500
I say trade him if Feaster gets a good package (unlikely). The Flames aren't the team they were right after the lockout and are an aging bunch.

Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:11 PM
  #61
Smokey McCanucks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,937
vCash: 500
You guys gotta keep Iginla, he's the face of the franchise! It's crazy to even think about trading him. Calgary's got the high-end talent, what you need is depth to support and cushion that talent.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:22 PM
  #62
CoRD
Shots Fired
 
CoRD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: In the studio
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,629
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptor View Post
I say trade him if Feaster gets a good package (unlikely). The Flames aren't the team they were right after the lockout and are an aging bunch.

CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:13 PM
  #63
flames123
Registered User
 
flames123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
There should be a ******* right off poll option.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
  #64
nhlfan9191
Registered User
 
nhlfan9191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Saskatoon, Sk
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,399
vCash: 500
Should have dealt him at the deadline when his trade value would have been high. Everyone knew the flames season would end the way it has.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:59 PM
  #65
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Should have dealt him at the deadline when his trade value would have been high. Everyone knew the flames season would end the way it has.
No you don't deal star players at the deadline the return is ****ing terrible. Do it at the draft/offseason when more teams can fit him under the cap and there is time to make room for him so there is a higher bidding war. Not to mention a team that has a poor playoffs could get desperate and overpay.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:19 PM
  #66
LukeD
On Fire
 
LukeD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,768
vCash: 500
I'd like to see him get traded. At this point he can't be our top producer, someone needs to step up. He would do well on a contender with a reduced role.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:22 PM
  #67
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
I'd like to see him get traded. At this point he can't be our top producer, someone needs to step up. He would do well on a contender with a reduced role.
I don't get it there is no one capable of "stepping up" he is also one season removed from 6th in the league from points.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
  #68
slappipappi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
should have dealt him at the deadline when his trade value would have been high.
nmc......................

slappipappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:46 AM
  #69
lof
Registered User
 
lof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
You guys gotta keep Iginla, he's the face of the franchise! It's crazy to even think about trading him. Calgary's got the high-end talent, what you need is depth to support and cushion that talent.
Where is this "high end talent" you speak of, Smokey?

Iggy? Kipper? J-Bo? The pickins are pretty slim here, dude. It's 2012, not 2005!


lof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:17 PM
  #70
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY
 
Svensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: C OF RED
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,031
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurse View Post
I regretted flames couldn't acquire wayne simmonds from LA. I wonder if the Flames would have traded Iggy for Simmonds straight up? I would have IMO. Not as talented as vintage Iggy, nonetheless, a guy who plays hard all the time.
Joking right?

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:24 PM
  #71
Kurse*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensational View Post
Joking right?
No I am not joking, why would I joke about a chance to aquire a 23 year old beast, the very defination of "a character guy" with some skills, who seems to be getting better and better, hits like a mactruck, high energy player, motivated, and eager to shed the mitts to spark his team or stand up for his team mates. (though not as good a fighter as Iggy in his prime IMO)

Yet, as I have said before, Simmonds may never be as skilled as Iggy, (tho Wayne did score a goal with his face, so he's got a creative side to him lol) but Iggy, although still says all the right things and a diplomat at heart, is 35, declining, pretty much one demintional player now, a cherry picker, weak defensively. plus few bloody loses fights last few years, he isnt the same iggy even in the intestinal fortitude dept....not much work ethics unless Iggy wants to, which is few and far between. I hate to paint it like that but reality sucks.

Lets see what Simmonds did this week,

NHLFlyers The @NHL announced today that Wayne Simmonds has been named the 'First Star' of the week.

Sored 4 goals, one goal off his face, next game against the Pens, with one eye nearly shut, he drops'em with HW bruiser Deryk England who KO'd Colton Orr last year.

Ofcourse Flames could get a more skilled player for Iggy, I am not even debating that, I feel Simmonds lead by example, is a leader, and if he is not scoring, he is doing other things to be effective, to win. (thats what I loved about Gary Roberts) Not giving up and taking it up the.. but disturbing the calm, by making the other team bleed for the win.

Younger leaders, we need young leaders, and I don't mean the horak, bucklund types.

What are you expecting for Iggy?


Besides maybe, Iggy and Cammy, who else would fetch a player like Simmonds from the flames current roster AT THIS TIME?

I am sure you wouldn't even consider trading future studs Bucklund or Nemisz for him.

Kurse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
  #72
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurse View Post
No I am not joking, why would I joke about a chance to aquire a 23 year old beast, the very defination of "a character guy" with some skills, who seems to be getting better and better, hits like a mactruck, high energy player, motivated, and eager to shed the mitts to spark his team or stand up for his team mates. (though not as good a fighter as Iggy in his prime IMO)

Yet, as I have said before, Simmonds may never be as skilled as Iggy, (tho Wayne did score a goal with his face, so he's got a creative side to him lol) but Iggy, although still says all the right things and a diplomat at heart, is 35, declining, pretty much one demintional player now, a cherry picker, weak defensively. plus few bloody loses fights last few years, he isnt the same iggy even in the intestinal fortitude dept....not much work ethics unless Iggy wants to, which is few and far between. I hate to paint it like that but reality sucks.

Lets see what Simmonds did this week,

NHLFlyers The @NHL announced today that Wayne Simmonds has been named the 'First Star' of the week.

Sored 4 goals, one goal off his face, next game against the Pens, with one eye nearly shut, he drops'em with HW bruiser Deryk England who KO'd Colton Orr last year.

Ofcourse Flames could get a more skilled player for Iggy, I am not even debating that, I feel Simmonds lead by example, is a leader, and if he is not scoring, he is doing other things to be effective, to win. (thats what I loved about Gary Roberts) Not giving up and taking it up the.. but disturbing the calm, by making the other team bleed for the win.

Younger leaders, we need young leaders, and I don't mean the horak, bucklund types.

What are you expecting for Iggy?


Besides maybe, Iggy and Cammy, who else would fetch a player like Simmonds from the flames current roster AT THIS TIME?

I am sure you wouldn't even consider trading future studs Bucklund or Nemisz for him.
backlund

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:08 PM
  #73
Devilspuppet666
Registered User
 
Devilspuppet666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by lof View Post
Where is this "high end talent" you speak of, Smokey?

Iggy? Kipper? J-Bo? The pickins are pretty slim here, dude. It's 2012, not 2005!

check his user name... hes trollin

Devilspuppet666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
  #74
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,837
vCash: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by lof View Post
Where is this "high end talent" you speak of, Smokey?

Iggy? Kipper? J-Bo? The pickins are pretty slim here, dude. It's 2012, not 2005!

Wait you don't think Iginla and Kipper are high end talent? They may not be able to produce at those levels for much longer but both are high end talent.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:41 PM
  #75
King In The North
Sean Bennett
 
King In The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, On
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,452
vCash: 500
Lol saying Simmonds for Iginla is logical is the same as when the Leafs said they wouldn't trade Kulemin for Iginla. The kid has a good year. You think he's going to score more 30, or even reach 40/50 goals?

King In The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.