HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What to do with the pending free agents?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
  #51
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I have 2 favorite teams so my opinion is invalid.
no your opinion is invalid because your opinions are crap in this thread. normally I can take you seriously but giving up Bouwmeester for the likes of Grabner and Semin? That is beyond stupid.

And if you are really going to buy into that kind of crap I would rather see you cheer for the Canucks than the Flames because we have enough ****** fans that do nothing but **** on the players we have already

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:42 PM
  #52
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
no your opinion is invalid because your opinions are crap in this thread. normally I can take you seriously but giving up Bouwmeester for the likes of Grabner and Semin? That is beyond stupid.

And if you are really going to buy into that kind of crap I would rather see you cheer for the Canucks than the Flames because we have enough ****** fans that do nothing but **** on the players we have already
How am I ******** on Jbow? We need speed and youth, there are more free agent defenseman that can play a top 4 role versus young top 6 forwards. I have supported Jbow his whole time here and think his offensive numbers will come back in a new system. We are trading Iggy and Kipper and Jbow in his idea so I thought it was a good idea. But I guess talking about ideas makes me a ****** fan?

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:51 PM
  #53
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
How am I ******** on Jbow? We need speed and youth, there are more free agent defenseman that can play a top 4 role versus young top 6 forwards. I have supported Jbow his whole time here and think his offensive numbers will come back in a new system. We are trading Iggy and Kipper and Jbow in his idea so I thought it was a good idea. But I guess talking about ideas makes me a ****** fan?
so your idea is to get more soft wingers? guess what our top 6 wingers aren't the problem. we need a #1 center, better defense (and trading Bouwmeester makes our defense significantly worse) and a system that plays to the abilities of our players, which IMO is a high tempo offensive game.

So why not keep a player who's absence will only hurt the team when it makes more sense to bring in a coach with a more offensive system? Bring in guys to support Bouwmeester and a system to allow the likes of him, Iggy, Cammalleri and Tanguay to succeed.

Semin is not enough of an upgrade on any of our top 6 wingers to make this remotely worth while. And Grabner well there is a reason he was on his 3rd team before he he played his rookie season and he demonstrated why this season. He just isn't that good, especially at the HORRIBLE contract the Isles signed him too.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:52 PM
  #54
Flamesfan13
Registered User
 
Flamesfan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Olli Jokinen- Let him walk
Lee Stempniak- Resign
David Moss- Let him walk
Tom Kostopolous- resign for cheap or let him walk
Corey Sarich- Let him walk for sure
Scott Hannan- Let him walk
Ratis Ivanans- Just leave lol


Blake Comeau- Not the right fit let him walk
Mikael Backlund- No brainier sign him.
Blair Jones- Resign for cheap
Leland Irving- No brainier sign him
Paul Byron- Resign
Stefan Meyer- Let him walk

So players we keep: Backlund, Irving, Byron, Jones, Kosto, Stemp

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:53 PM
  #55
Flamesfan13
Registered User
 
Flamesfan13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Calgary AB
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
I wish we do what they did in florida... sign a bunch of superstars.

Flamesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:56 PM
  #56
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
so your idea is to get more soft wingers? guess what our top 6 wingers aren't the problem. we need a #1 center, better defense (and trading Bouwmeester makes our defense significantly worse) and a system that plays to the abilities of our players, which IMO is a high tempo offensive game.

So why not keep a player who's absence will only hurt the team when it makes more sense to bring in a coach with a more offensive system? Bring in guys to support Bouwmeester and a system to allow the likes of him, Iggy, Cammalleri and Tanguay to succeed.

Semin is not enough of an upgrade on any of our top 6 wingers to make this remotely worth while. And Grabner well there is a reason he was on his 3rd team before he he played his rookie season and he demonstrated why this season. He just isn't that good, especially at the HORRIBLE contract the Isles signed him too.
That is your opinion I have mine but that doesn't make either of us "bad" fans. I believe that we should rebuild the team, but if we build around Jbow by the time the team is ready he will be over 30 versus rebuilding around a younger core that will have a longer window.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:57 PM
  #57
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
That is your opinion I have mine but that doesn't make either of us "bad" fans. I believe that we should rebuild the team, but if we build around Jbow by the time the team is ready he will be over 30 versus rebuilding around a younger core that will have a longer window.
what you believe they should do doesn't matter. THE OWNERSHIP WON'T ALLOW A FULL SCALE REBUILD. Its that simple, so why keep bringing it up like its actually an option?

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:59 PM
  #58
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
what you believe they should do doesn't matter. THE OWNERSHIP WON'T ALLOW A FULL SCALE REBUILD. Its that simple, so why keep bringing it up like its actually an option?
They 2-3 years until the team will be a bottom 5 team regardless I think after seeing how excited the fans were after seeing Sven they might do a rebuild. I still don't know why I am a bad fan.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
  #59
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
They 2-3 years until the team will be a bottom 5 team regardless I think after seeing how excited the fans were after seeing Sven they might do a rebuild. I still don't know why I am a bad fan.
you are drinking too much HF kool-aid.

The Flames were supposedly going to be a lottery team for the last 2 years now. And no the Flames will not agree to losing because fans are excited over 1 player, a player they drafted without going into a freefall. The owners need to keep the seats full so they can build a new arena, their mandate is simple. Win.

and I never said you were a bad fan, I am saying if you are going to be like all the other idiots on this board you might as well go elsewhere because I have had my fill of fans that think losing is a good thing

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:09 PM
  #60
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
you are drinking too much HF kool-aid.

The Flames were supposedly going to be a lottery team for the last 2 years now. And no the Flames will not agree to losing because fans are excited over 1 player, a player they drafted without going into a freefall. The owners need to keep the seats full so they can build a new arena, their mandate is simple. Win.

and I never said you were a bad fan, I am saying if you are going to be like all the other idiots on this board you might as well go elsewhere because I have had my fill of fans that think losing is a good thing
Yes right here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
And if you are really going to buy into that kind of crap I would rather see you cheer for the Canucks than the Flames because we have enough ****** fans that do nothing but **** on the players we have already
The team is being carried by Iggy and Kipper in 2-3 years they are 36/37/38 they won't be able to keep us in the playoff race. I believe the owners are full of **** and ruining this team. The goal my be to win but in a few years it may simply not be possible.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:12 PM
  #61
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
What the Flames do with these free agents depends on what they do with Iggy and Kipper. If they finally decide that finishing in the #9-#11 spot is useless after 3 seasons, with Iggy and Kipper in their early to mid 30's, not sure what they expect out of those 2 guys now that they are around 35. Iggy has 1 year left on his deal, then turns 36 in 2013. Kipper has 2 years left, cap hit of $5.83 million, salary of $5 million, then $1.5 million. So a great bargain financially.

If the Flames make the difficult decision to ask them to waive their NTC/NMC then they would get a very strong return for these 2 players to help their rebuild.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:15 PM
  #62
Fleury14
Kipper
 
Fleury14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 4,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Why not keep Stemps instead of Moss he has more offensive ability and would only a bit more to keep?
after his injury-filled year, Moss will cost about 50-60% less than Stempniak, and can play all 3 forward positions. Stempniak has always played RW and is inconsistent with marginally more offensive skill.

I'd rather take a chance on a mid-level winger in free agency than bring back Stempniak.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
  #63
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
Yes right here


The team is being carried by Iggy and Kipper in 2-3 years they are 36/37/38 they won't be able to keep us in the playoff race. I believe the owners are full of **** and ruining this team. The goal my be to win but in a few years it may simply not be possible.
I said we have enough ****** fans, and if you seriously want the team to lose then yes you do fit into that.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
  #64
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury14 View Post
after his injury-filled year, Moss will cost about 50-60% less than Stempniak, and can play all 3 forward positions. Stempniak has always played RW and is inconsistent with marginally more offensive skill.

I'd rather take a chance on a mid-level winger in free agency than bring back Stempniak.
Thats fair enough but the cap hit shouldn't really matter as both won't put us over the cap, but I can see where you are coming from.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:17 PM
  #65
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
I said we have enough ****** fans, and if you seriously want the team to lose then yes you do fit into that.
I never said I want them to lose I suggested getting younger and faster.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:34 PM
  #66
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGleninator View Post
I never said I want them to lose I suggested getting younger and faster.
you suggested moving a player from a weakness to get more players that wouldn't have a spot because its a strength. Semin is what 2 years younger than Bouwmeester and is no faster and Grabner simply doesn't make the team better no matter how young and fast he is. Those idea will do nothing but make the team worse and would make them lose even more.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:43 PM
  #67
lof
Registered User
 
lof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Dawson Creek, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Re-sign Backlund, Irving and Jones.

Be rid of all UFA's on the list.

Buyouts, waivings, trades of high salaried NTC / NMC guys.

Iggy and Kipper retire as Flames, as they should.

lof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:45 PM
  #68
TheHudlinator
Registered User
 
TheHudlinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria,BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,909
vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
you suggested moving a player from a weakness to get more players that wouldn't have a spot because its a strength. Semin is what 2 years younger than Bouwmeester and is no faster and Grabner simply doesn't make the team better no matter how young and fast he is. Those idea will do nothing but make the team worse and would make them lose even more.
I guess you are right about everything there is no point in discussing anything as you clearly know what will happen and how it will happen.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:37 PM
  #69
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man
 
TherapyforGlencross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,603
vCash: 500
Just wondering, would Ramo come to the NHL? He's in the KHL right now, just wondering if he was willing to come over here. (If Feaster could persuade him)

TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:40 PM
  #70
Boomstick
Registered User
 
Boomstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Posts: 695
vCash: 500
If you guys would look at the stats on this team. Yeah, I realize this was a terrible year for injuries, but our individual stats are pretty disgusting.
Even the love for Jokinen. I really enjoyed watching Olli this year. His speed is awesome. But the last 2 weeks alone, the whole team did nothing much. It's been the same story for the last 3 years. Get in a playoff spot, usually 8th, and then go win an occasional game when it's the biggest games of the year.
But Jokinen has 60 pts and is -11. If that deserves a raise, well let him go sign with someone else. Maybe Burke will give him 6 million. I don't think he deserves a raise. I don't think anyone on this team deserves a raise. Every game matters was the new slogan. Except nobody showed up in the games that matters.
I think my passion for the Flames is to blame, I can't watch this team without anger. We've seen them constantly lose leads all year. It's just not working out for very many players in this system. I still put alot of the blame on Sutter. His system doesn't work not even 60% of the time. When it does work the Flames look brilliant, but it's not consistent.... at all.
3 years out of the playoffs. My favorite player Iginla looked mediocre when it matters. 0 shots against LA in a huge must-win game.
Like i say, the stats on every player this year individually is pretty awful. Either the players have to be changed, or the Coach and his system has to be changed, or heck maybe even both. I really don't think we should keep re-signing the same players that can't take us into the playoffs. As much as I love Iginla, I voted in the poll that he should be moved. Even Kipper should be moved. Of course I don't have answers and I've only got my own opinion, but this team is failing. On all levels. Changes are needed, and signing the same old, same old to raises? No thanks, let them walk. Feaster made mistakes not getting anything for our free agents at the trade deadline. Now we're going to lose them for nothing, and you know what? I'm pretty much okay with that because we have to move forward, not stay status quo.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
  #71
Boomstick
Registered User
 
Boomstick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St. Catharines, Ontario
Posts: 695
vCash: 500
Flames stats : http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/cgy/stats

I'll tell your everyone's plus/minus ration is terrible.
No offense whatsoever from our D.

Tanguay's shots need to be up. It's time........ This team needs a new identity, and not just trying to lose spare parts by signing other spare parts.
Okay, my rant is done. Just an upset die-hard Flames fan that's sick of losing.

Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:16 PM
  #72
Svensational
THANK YOU IGGY
 
Svensational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: C OF RED
Country: Romania
Posts: 1,063
vCash: 500
Jbouw @ 7mil is a joke. He is steady, but could definitely replace him with a cheaper Dman.

Like I said before GIO >>>>>>> Jbouw.


As for detroying this team??? Its already ********* UP. Iggy is slowing down and Kipper is getting old. Do you think they will carry this team next year as well as they did this year? I doubt it. This team lacks any creativity and effort. A young player will be excited to fking win some games and show up every night. Give the youngsters a chance to shine.

Svensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:40 PM
  #73
tfong
Registered User
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,415
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
you are so short sighted. a new system could change as much as trading the core, without making them a bottom feeding loser like you think they should strive to be
How am I short sighted when we miss the last 3 playoffs and I keep saying our core needs to change and u keep thinking it is a systems problem? We have gone thru an army of coaches now.

Maybe it's you that is short sighted because I've now been right 3 years in a row.

It's the players that are he problem not the systems. We don't have to be bottom feeders but we need a change in he core of the last 3 years either by blowing it up doing a core swap much like what Philly did.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:01 PM
  #74
Medium Rare*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,065
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
How am I short sighted when we miss the last 3 playoffs and I keep saying our core needs to change and u keep thinking it is a systems problem? We have gone thru an army of coaches now.

Maybe it's you that is short sighted because I've now been right 3 years in a row.

It's the players that are he problem not the systems. We don't have to be bottom feeders but we need a change in he core of the last 3 years either by blowing it up doing a core swap much like what Philly did.
so 3 years with the same coach and it couldnt be the system after 5 years in the playoffs? face facts the flames are not going to tear it down like you want them to so you might as well stop crying for it. they are going to continue to try and win whether you want them too or not. so why not just shut your yap and support the team for a change and try to suggest things that are at least somewhat plausible?

as someone who claims they are a red wings fan you should know that you dont need to blow it up to win

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
  #75
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner
 
HighLifeMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,958
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensational View Post
Jbouw @ 7mil is a joke. He is steady, but could definitely replace him with a cheaper Dman.

Like I said before GIO >>>>>>> Jbouw.


As for detroying this team??? Its already ********* UP. Iggy is slowing down and Kipper is getting old. Do you think they will carry this team next year as well as they did this year? I doubt it. This team lacks any creativity and effort. A young player will be excited to fking win some games and show up every night. Give the youngsters a chance to shine.
I think you must keep Jay Bouwmeester for atleast a year under a new head coach, in order to see what he can do in a more free flowing offensive system.

I honestly feel he is being heavily underutilized by Brent and/or Hartsburg

Allow him (persuade him) to jump up into the play as much as possible, he certainly has the skating ability to cover up for any mistakes he does make. I have noticed on several occasions throughout the year that when he is used on the powerplay to actively roam in and out from the point and high slot, that he is much more dangerous.

He simply does not have the shot power to be a threat from the point, he MUST use his skating ability to confuse and throw off the oppositions penalty kill.

I would also like to see our powerplay utilize his speed to enter the zone (Much like how Detroit does it), as we are far to stagnant in the neutral zone.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.