HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers recall and assign Magnus Paajarvi from OKC back to OKC

Old
03-31-2012, 12:29 AM
jebs

vCash: 500
Paajarvi's dad seems alright with the situation, so looks like he wont be demanding a trade yet

Quote:
Gunnar Svensson ‏ @Gunnar56

Paajarvi back in Oklahoma. The NHL rules didn´t allow him to play for the Oilers. Thats life. He was was down before he got up.
Quote:
Jonathan Willis ‏ @JonathanWillis

@Gunnar56 Have the #Oilers given you any explanation of why they thought Paajarvi could be recalled?
Quote:
Gunnar Svensson ‏ @Gunnar56

@JonathanWillis No Jonathan. But the Oilers meant well. They liked to have Magnus up. But the CBA rules could be complicaded...

jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:31 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

That's fine if Gunner doesn't know what those specific CBA rules are but Tambellini, Olczyk, Lowe and the rest of those fools should.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:33 AM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Digger12

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2012/03/3...o-get-it-right

Reading the quotes in there by Tambellini and especially Lowe's comments where he emphatically states that this wasn't Tambellini's fault, it reads to me like this screwup mainly falls at the feet of Rick Olczyk. I'm betting those "assurances" that Tambellini spoke of came from his assistant GM.

The argument's always there that the GM is ultimately responsible for all things under his watch, but there's a reason that assistant GM's exist: It's directly in their job description to know about all the niggling details of the CBA and NHL bylaws. In this case, Olczyk made his boss look bad.

That's generally not good for job security.

If he's lucky, he'll get the "You've done a good job, but don't ever let this happen again." speech.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:46 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Terry Jones said it right...no big deal if the Oilers were at the top

but the same management who's led us to 3 straight bottom-2 finishes suddenly can't count to four and forgot to properly read the rules

didn't Tallon (who's proven to be a MUCH better GM) get fired for something similar?

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:52 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post

Reading the quotes in there by Tambellini and especially Lowe's comments where he emphatically states that this wasn't Tambellini's fault, it reads to me like this screwup mainly falls at the feet of Rick Olczyk. I'm betting those "assurances" that Tambellini spoke of came from his assistant GM.

The argument's always there that the GM is ultimately responsible for all things under his watch, but there's a reason that assistant GM's exist: It's directly in their job description to know about all the niggling details of the CBA and NHL bylaws. In this case, Olczyk made his boss look bad.

If he's lucky, he'll get the "You've done a good job, but don't ever let this happen again." speech.
Lowe said in the article that Ricky has been "impeccable".

Were in good hands with allstate.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:16 PM
oilWILDcountry

Holy overreaction guys, this isn't the end of the world, it's not like we're being penalized a first round pick for this..... I'm sure Paajarvi isn't the kind of player who holds grudges for things like this.

oilWILDcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Yup. Sweep it under the rug.

Should we start a pool for when the next debacle happens?

I get dibs on draft day.

Its risky leaving it that long, but I have faith in the guyz.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Another little blemish on the organization's reputation. Maybe Olcyck should have read these threads to get proper CBA info!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Another little blemish on the organization's reputation. Maybe Olcyck should have read these threads to get proper CBA info!
Olcyck also screwed up on the Brule waiver eligibility issue, IMO he needs to get turfed. It may seem like a small issue, but we can't afford him screwing up something big.

03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
Eddy Oiler*

I will be at the Canucks and Oilers game on April 7. Thinking about wearing my Oiler jersey and a "Fire Tambellini and Lowe" sign. Wont get kicked out in Vancouver for that like I would in Edmonton.

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Dont Hinder Jinder

Quote:
Yup. Sweep it under the rug.

Should we start a pool for when the next debacle happens?

I get dibs on draft day.

Its risky leaving it that long, but I have faith in the guyz.
Accidentally draft "Ryan Murphy" and not "Ryan Murray" ?

Piss of Carolina's GM in the process

Dont Hinder Jinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Oiler View Post
I will be at the Canucks and Oilers game on April 7. Thinking about wearing my Oiler jersey and a "Fire Tambellini and Lowe" sign. Wont get kicked out in Vancouver for that like I would in Edmonton.
That would be dumb. But I would laugh, and respect you, for a "Fire Olcyck" sign.

Not everyone's going to get that, but that's what makes it beautiful.

Old
03-31-2012, 03:37 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

BTW, Puck Daddy has the best article on this, explains in good detail what went wrong:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...175538392.html

Quote:
The Oilers burned one in a "paper recall," technically shuttling Paajarvi to the Oklahoma Barons and back in order to ensure that he was on the clear day roster for the Barons' playoff push. He never actually went anywhere, but according to the paperwork, he did.

Then they burned two more calling up Linus Omark and Teemu Hartikainen.

With one left, they called up Chris Vande Velde under emergency circumstances when injuries to Shawn Horcoff and Lennart Petrell left them with fewer than 12 healthy forwards. That preserved the final transaction, but when Horcoff and Petrell got better and Vande Velde went to the press box as a healthy scratch, he also went from emergency recall to the final regular recall, a fact that the Oilers only realized once Paajarvi, now ineligible to join the team, had already landed in Edmonton.

So. This isn't going to help those concerns that Oilers management doesn't really know what it's doing. You'd think that it'd have a pretty firm grasp of the rules under which it operates.
If what someone was saying above is true, then actually VV was the 4th transaction as soon as he was an emergency recall, regardless of the fact that he was "emergency".

But this isn't much ado about nothing, this is really pathetic. If the Oilers paid me a measily salary, I would know the CBA inside out, upside down, and backwards. I'd have the club taking advantage of loopholes and preparing for the obscure 'gotchas' like this at these times. Olcyck is clearly a baffoon who needs to be relieved of his responsibility, this cannot happen. Not once.

If you want to win, you have to have the best people in the league in your organization, in all positions. We clearly have the worst assistant GM / "CBA guy" in the league. Fix that.

Last edited by stratedge: 03-31-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old
03-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Eytinge

This Olcyck guy needs to get turfed, how many times has he messed up on the little details of the CBA?

Remember the Brule fiasco?

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Terry Jones said it right...no big deal if the Oilers were at the top

but the same management who's led us to 3 straight bottom-2 finishes suddenly can't count to four and forgot to properly read the rules

didn't Tallon (who's proven to be a MUCH better GM) get fired for something similar?
No. He screwed up with qualifying offers. That made 6 RFA's into UFA's and caused Tallon to overspend to get them signed. This contributed to the Hawks cap woes.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:35 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Lets see...so far the majority of this board wants Renney gone. Now it looks like they want Olcyck fired as well.

Who keeps hiring these people?

Honestly...Tambo must be made of teflon. Nothing sticks to him.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Pretty solid point. Also Olczyk has often been referred to as our resident expert capologist so one would think knowledge of the intricacies of CBA would be his domain.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:45 PM
MrOiler

I think everyone has forgotten the Bengt-Ake Gustaffson debacle.

The NHL/WHA merge, the Oilers only have 2 skaters to protect and Sather forgets one (at least he protected Gretzky). Gustaffson goes to Washington for a pretty decent career.

It turned out okay, guys. Really.

... I hear the Oilers won 5 cups after that.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:37 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post

The NHL/WHA merge, the Oilers only have 2 skaters to protect and Sather forgets one (at least he protected Gretzky). Gustaffson goes to Washington for a pretty decent career.

Wat.

This is your defence for Olcyck's repeated CBA gaffs? "It happened in 1980 and we won a bunch of cups later so obviously it's not a problem."

If Olcyck is immune to consequence because he's one of the boys... fine... what else is new. Then hire the putz an "assistant to the assistant GM" whose job it is to know the CBA better than anyone else, so that ol' Rick-o can consult him on these matters and help save him from further mistakes. Don't wait until something really bites the Oilers in the ass in a way that permanently hurts, before taking corrective action.

Old
03-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post

You totally butchered that story.

The Oilers HAD Gustaffson on their protected list along with Gretzky but the NHL, after accepting that list subsequently decided that the Oilers couldn't protect Gustaffson because he was drafted previously by the Washington Capitals. (even though he was Oilers property)

It was a ******** call by the NHL to side with an incumbent NHL team and screw over the Oilers. The draft was basically an organized roster **** of the WHA teams to begin with.

It was bad enough that each WHA club could protect only 2 skaters and a goalie. It was ridiculous that they awarded Gustaffson to the Caps.

Winning the SC only 5 yrs later was sweet revenge.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:26 PM
awesomo
HARD!

definitely doesnt look good. you should know the rules, its part of their job to know the rules

if it was rick olczyk, he shouldve known better. he s a freaking lawyer from cornell, lawyers shouldnt make these mistakes

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:29 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
How long has Olczyk been with the Oilers?

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
You totally butchered that story.

The Oilers HAD Gustaffson on their protected list along with Gretzky but the NHL, after accepting that list subsequently decided that the Oilers couldn't protect Gustaffson because he was drafted previously by the Washington Capitals. (even though he was Oilers property)

It was a ******** call by the NHL to side with an incumbent NHL team and screw over the Oilers. The draft was basically an organized roster **** of the WHA teams to begin with.

It was bad enough that each WHA club could protect only 2 skaters and a goalie. It was ridiculous that they awarded Gustaffson to the Caps.

Winning the SC only 5 yrs later was sweet revenge.
This is what happened

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:07 PM
27theROCK

Quote:

HAHA I like how Lowe, the guy who signed Horcoff and tried to get money from Comrie for a deal, wages in like he is freaking Ken Holland and people should respect his knowledge.

This whole organization is an embarrassment. I find it utterly disgraceful that are whole management team is not axed over not only all the gong shows choices and mistakes but the fact that we have been garbage for 5 years. I get we have some good kids but any bozo could select them and drafting is more on the scouts then GM/Management. We have failed to put any pieces in place to build around the kids. Its just sad.

Why are we so okay with just being an embarrassment? Why is okay to be a bunch of losers?

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote