HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone going to the Flyers/Pens game on the 1st?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2012, 05:41 PM
  #26
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 7,706
vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
Uniformed and week argument? Ok pal, whatever you say! The team was going bankrupt, couldn't afford good players and was a threating to relocation because they started to lose and the support went away! Banwagon, frontrunners are the majority! There are some intelligent fans in the burg but the majority and ill informed and know nothing outside Pen's hockey's after 2006! As for tanking for 5 plus years, say what you want and take there side! They did not try to get better for almost a decade! It samefull. Listen, I lived in Pitt for 2 years and married a girl from there (she is a Flyers fan)I spend a lot of time talking to yenzers about hockey! The marjorty are stright out fools! Its nice you opinion, formed over 6 years, is so supportive of them but I have 14 years exp dealing with them and numbers to back me up!
Oy vey this is painful to read. Get a grip. All fanbases are made up of bandwagon fans. We were the modern day Pens of the 1970s to the Original 6ers. The high and mighty Flyers fan act gets old. I became I Flyers fan around 1993-1994...Lindros bandwagon, right here. I was 7. By 2000, hockey was my favorite sport, without question, and I was able to learn more about the game because I chose to. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of casual and fairweather fans taking up seats down at the Wells Fargo Center every game who don't have the foggiest idea what's going on, let alone who all the players on the team are, or who our prospects are. I know this for two reasons...I know several of my friends who go to more Flyers games than me because they got $$$$$ and I don't and they don't know crap, and because there's still a "Crosby Sucks" chant everytime the Pens are in town.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 06:35 PM
  #27
856
Moderator
Amaro out
 
856's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 35,211
vCash: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
Guess your right! Flyers sell out regardless of how well they are doing. Pens only sell out when they are doing well. You agrument makes more sense then numbers! Also, the general Pen's fanbase see nothing wrong with the Pen's tanking! How can a Great Fanbase fail to support a team when they are losing and support the idea of tanked 5\7 seasons in a row!
Do you knot realize that the Flyers have only had one terrible season in the last 15 years? If they were to be dreadful for a 5 year period, I can guarantee you that they wouldnt sell out consistently. This is how it works in every sport, if your team is a consistent loser you arent going to get fan support.

856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:45 PM
  #28
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Oy vey this is painful to read. Get a grip. All fanbases are made up of bandwagon fans. We were the modern day Pens of the 1970s to the Original 6ers. The high and mighty Flyers fan act gets old. I became I Flyers fan around 1993-1994...Lindros bandwagon, right here. I was 7. By 2000, hockey was my favorite sport, without question, and I was able to learn more about the game because I chose to. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of casual and fairweather fans taking up seats down at the Wells Fargo Center every game who don't have the foggiest idea what's going on, let alone who all the players on the team are, or who our prospects are. I know this for two reasons...I know several of my friends who go to more Flyers games than me because they got $$$$$ and I don't and they don't know crap, and because there's still a "Crosby Sucks" chant everytime the Pens are in town.

You actually make very little sense here.

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:46 PM
  #29
Cuiff
Registered User
 
Cuiff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Horsham (Philly)
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Do you knot realize that the Flyers have only had one terrible season in the last 15 years? If they were to be dreadful for a 5 year period, I can guarantee you that they wouldnt sell out consistently. This is how it works in every sport, if your team is a consistent loser you arent going to get fan support.
Sorry your such a week fan!

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:26 AM
  #30
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion
 
Brostradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dub C
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
The attendance argument is always a good one. Let me ask you something. During the season that shall not be named of '06-'07, how many Flyers home games did you actually watch? I'd say I watched at least 30, and that place slowly began to resemble a ****ing Devils home game as the Flyers plummeted to the bottom of the standings. The announced attendance would still be 19,000+, but you're beyond help if you think anything even close to that number was present. Again, had the Flyers sucked like that for a few years in a row, you would've seen an attendance drop that mirrored what happened with the Penguins. In '05-'06, the Penguins played to 93% capacity, and '06-'07 that figure rose to 97% capacity (and this is at what was perhaps the most decrepit arena in all of pro sports). It's been over 100% ever since.
I normally am not able to go to a ton of games, just too expensive for a student, but during that season I was able to go to a lot of games due to season ticket holders making them available but every game I went to the stadium was still full. Bad seasons hurt teams and I'm sure some of those "season ticket holders" just own the tickets as something to do just like in every fanbase, however there will always be real fans in Philadelphia that will step up and buy them. Those numbers for Pens attendence is expected, it was post drafting Crosby and Malkin and Pittsburgh was informed that the team wasn't moving to Kansas City. They didn't have an amazing year but winning the draft lottery created a lot of buzz when he was touted so highly as "The Next One". The years leading up to the lockout however tell another story 2003: 14,750 2004: 11,877 then post lockout two superstars get drafted, back up close to capacity (High 15,000's I believe Melon Arena's capacity was low 17-high 16's)

Quote:
The Penguins fan base didn't "just appear" not even a decade ago. Again, that's not fair. Melon Arena was always packed during the 90s. If you mean the ridiculous bandwagon add-ons just appeared not even a decade ago, then sure, I agree with you. We've seen the exact same thing happen with the Red Sox and Phillies.
Yes there will always be enough true fans to fill the arena but the bandwagon is massive and contributes to a large part, for arguments sake I will concede to your personal experience and say that its not the majority, but I'm just saying from mine its very noticeable. When people like Gary Bettman and Doc say things on national TV like "Hockey is back in Pittsburgh" or "Hockey never left Chicago" it's a nice way of saying, the city and fanbase was waiting for them to win before coming back to the sport.


Quote:
The Flyers fan base certainly is its own animal and I'd say real fans of the team are the most loyal, knowledgable, and committed in the entire city (and are up there in the NHL), but that doesn't erase the fact that its fan base population pales in comparison to that of the Eagles and Phillies (and probably even the Sixers, honestly). Just the nature of hockey undeniably being the #4 sport in this country.
I agree with you here on just about everything. The Phillies have an amazingly large fanbase because they broke "the curse" of Philadelphia sports and the city fell in love with that 08 team, it exemplified the city of Philadelphia to a tee as a hard working underdog. The Eagles will always have more fans because its football no matter how bad that organization is run from top to bottom. I don't know a ton of Sixers fans (true sixers fans) besides my 12 year old brother who has been watching them all through their atrocious years. I don't much care for basketball but I took him to a few games because they were cheap and he plays the sport so I thought it would be a good gift. Everytime I went there were maybe 10,000 seats filled. Very embarrassing for what was once a very proud team and dedicated fanbase. Once the Sixers have year in and out success you are probably correct there will be more "fans" of them considering hockey is the 4th sport in America, but for an American city, Philadelphia is one of the best hockey towns up there with Detroit and Buffalo but no where near Minnesota.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:43 AM
  #31
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion
 
Brostradamus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dub C
Country: United States
Posts: 630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Oy vey this is painful to read. Get a grip. All fanbases are made up of bandwagon fans. We were the modern day Pens of the 1970s to the Original 6ers. The high and mighty Flyers fan act gets old. I became I Flyers fan around 1993-1994...Lindros bandwagon, right here. I was 7. By 2000, hockey was my favorite sport, without question, and I was able to learn more about the game because I chose to. There are hundreds, maybe thousands of casual and fairweather fans taking up seats down at the Wells Fargo Center every game who don't have the foggiest idea what's going on, let alone who all the players on the team are, or who our prospects are. I know this for two reasons...I know several of my friends who go to more Flyers games than me because they got $$$$$ and I don't and they don't know crap, and because there's still a "Crosby Sucks" chant everytime the Pens are in town.
I see the points your trying to make and to an extent you are correct that our fanbase exponentially grew in the 70's after the cup wins and that you may have been a Flyers fan because of Lindros (I myself started fully watching Flyers hockey at the same age but in 97-98, loved Lindros and LeClair). I also have a friend who went to every single 2010 playoff home game because his house is the size of Curt Schillings when he lived in the Philadelphia area. I cut their lawn over that summer and nothing infuriated me more than the entire family wearing their "orange crush" t shirts the next day but not being able to name more than a few players while I'm rocking a massive playoff beard. The 70's argument is bit different considering the team was just established in 1967 (including Pittsburgh) and hockey was pretty much laughed at when it first came here, no one in America really took it seriously so that was just a reflection of the culture. It was a new franchise, most new franchises don't have large fanbases their first few seasons at least. The Flyers have been lucky to not really have long playoff droughts except the early 90's, I can't speak for how our fanbase was during that drought I was too young so I will differ to others that can.

The playoff games imo are where most of the fairweather Flyers fans appear, simply because tickets are expensive and most of the dedicated fans just can not afford them, I believe that to be true for every team in every city in the country. We're not perfect as a fanbase, no one is to think we are is just being naive, but we are among the best in terms of dedication and knowledge of the sport, just look around these boards, I don't post a lot but I read. I consider myself to be as die hard as you could be and still read things I had no idea about by others on here. Simply amazing.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:47 PM
  #32
Amateur Hour
Registered User
 
Amateur Hour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Negadelphia
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuiffitelli View Post
Sorry your such a week fan!
Not cool, dude. He's definitely been a fan longer than a week.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:49 PM
  #33
TheLegendkiller
Registered User
 
TheLegendkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,651
vCash: 500
Guess the OP got his money's worth huh?

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:27 PM
  #34
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 999
vCash: 500
Game was awesome! Not a single Flyers Suck or ******* chant directed at me though. I was surprised. Then again, I wasn't being a d-bag so that could have been why. Beautiful arena.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:51 AM
  #35
phlflyer1
Registered User
 
phlflyer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Do you knot realize that the Flyers have only had one terrible season in the last 15 years? If they were to be dreadful for a 5 year period, I can guarantee you that they wouldnt sell out consistently. This is how it works in every sport, if your team is a consistent loser you arent going to get fan support.
You mean like in 1989-90 through 1993-94 when they missed the playoffs 5 straight years?

Year Avg. Attendance/Capacity
89-90: 17407/17423
90-91: 17342/17392
91-92: 17140/17392
92-93: 17281/17380
93-94: 17231/17380

The worst of those years (91-92) the Flyers played to over 98.5% capacity.

Sources:

http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/inde...90/118-2008-09

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectru...ating_Capacity

phlflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.