HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the first FIVE things you would do as the new GM?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2012, 08:44 AM
  #76
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
If you were name the new GM and were reporting to Geoff Molson and Serge Savard, what are the first FIVE things you would do as the new GM between now and training camp in September?

Example: Who would be your coach, who would you draft and who is traded etc.

I would...

1) Hire the best head coach for the job regardless of language, ethnic background or skin colour.

2) Draft Grigorenko or Galchenyuk in June and start a marketing campaign around them.

3) Buy out Gomez and Kaberle, trade Weber and Diaz for a player than can help right away and a draft pick etc.

4) Attempt to sign Semin to play on Plekanec wing, Gaustad or Prust as the 4th line centre and Suter as the 2nd/3rd defenseman with Markov, Gorges and Subban as the top 4.

5) BAN Media and fans from all practices in Montreal!


What would you do?
first of all if I am Molson , I would give the following list of DO NOT DO IF I HIRE YOU

DO NOT .....sign a D man to a three extension whith no knees left on a team going nowhere

DO NOT .....acquire a 8.5 mil cap hit on a soft d man in the middle of the season as a bandaid

DO NOT .... let your entire team go to UFA ...get no assets in return and then spend like a drunk on midgets and players with no value to build with

FOLLOW THE DETROIT EXAMPLE OF HOW TO BUILD A SUCCESSFUL TEAM FOR 20 YEARS ...DRAFT ...DEVELOP....THEN TINKER WHEN YOU ARE A CONTENDER

now moving forward

1) rid of Gomez, Pleks, Kabbie, Gio and let all the other UFA`S walk

we need to change the core not the spare parts ...we are going nowhere with Pleks and DD down the middle in this conference and Pleks has more value .

2) get a coach who can teach kids ....AND PLAY THE KIDS PROPERLY

Eller is a solid #2 complementary center , put thim there and leave him there

3) no spending in the summer on junk ...Suter and Zack arent coming here , DONT SPEND ON JOKINEN, types in the 4-5 range ..... NO MORE
we arent contenders , we tried it it didnt work

4) make sure you get that big center at the draft ....to become my number 1

5) MORE IMPORTANTLY. .... after next year and the midget gets his 50+ points again and we stink , and he isnt the answer .... DO NOT SIGN HIM TO A 4Y / 4 MIL
A YEAR CONTRACT .... trade him while he has value

This is why we have too many stupid contracts ...wrong player for the wrong team at the wrong time ..He is a depth filler on a good team , I will not win with him as my #1 center going head to head with Crosby and other centers .

6) phase in a few kids ....Tinordi is physically ready for a third pairing job

7) if you need to sign ...short term fair deals to buy time

8) have a vision of what your team will look like in a few years . This is the key here folks

the following cant be bottom 6 ...KRISTO , GALAGHER , LEBLANC . plus this years
pick if we take him

so you have 4 forwards , plus Max, Cole, Pleks, DD, Gio without assuming trades

this wont work down the road , start moving while some value is still there

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:55 AM
  #77
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,047
vCash: 500
1st:I like the idea of Patrick Roy for head coach

2nd:replace all conditioning staff.

3rd:increase budget on player development and move the Dogs out Hamilton and replace that coach.

4th:Bury Gomez, trade Weber, Diaz and shop Gionta and Plekanec then go hard after Parise, Suter and Gaustad.

Last but not least:sign and keep Moen, Price, Max and PK and to some extant Staubitz

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
  #78
firewagon77*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
5 things how bout 100 things,#1 hire the best coach either patrick roy with veteran assistant larry robinson or proven winning coach like bob hartley who has won at every level including stanley cup and brought thrashers to the playoffs he is a lifer in coaching like scotty bowman or ken hitchcock.

firewagon77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:31 AM
  #79
firewagon77*
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 370
vCash: 500
#2 put gomez and kaberle on waivers or in minors. #3 draft a center with 1st round pick or trade the pick and plekanec to florida for 19 year old huberdeau. #4 trade eller and kristo to new jersey for 2 players in last year of contract zajac and clarkson. #5 trade bourque and minnesota born players kishel,conboy bennet for latendresse. #6 trade markov and yemelin to san jose for 6 foot 5 brent burns he and markov make exavtly the same 5.7 million. #7 trade gionta for mark streit to have depth on powerplay. #8 sign david perron to offersheet on july 1st for 5 years 27 million compensation would be 1st ,2nd and 3rd round picks in 2013 draft. #9 if st.louis matches try to sign semin to 3 year contract. #10 go get some size like brandon mashinter from the sharks for palushaj and brad malone from the avs big 4th line center.

firewagon77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:23 PM
  #80
Xia
Registered User
 
Xia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
1) Hire an experienced coach with a good record.
2) Get rid of Gomez at any cost.
3) Draft Yakupov, Grigorenko or Galenchyuk depending on lottery.
4) Sign Parise
5) Re-sign Price, Subban, Eller, Emelin.

Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
  #81
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,695
vCash: 500
Awards:
1. Hire best coach available.
2. Draft Grigorenko or Galchenyuk, depending on position/lottery.
3. Bury Kaberle in the minors.
4. Trade Gomez to the Islanders.
5. Find a legit top 6 winger to dress with Plekanec and Gionta.

EDIT: And of course, important contracts to Price, Subban, Pacioretty and Emelin.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
  #82
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 13,086
vCash: 500
1. Gomez to Hamilton...that's it...the rest would be gravy...

Alot of good will happen spending that money elsewhere....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 12:44 PM
  #83
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
1) Sleep with every players wife

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:05 PM
  #84
D4nY
Registered User
 
D4nY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
1- Hire the best man available for the coaching job
2- send Gomez to Hamilton
3- draft Grigorenko
4- make sure i have the best scouting reports of the league coming from the LHJMQ
5- Sign or trade for a solid and physical stay at home defenceman. Use the money saved on Gomez to sign a top 6 forward to play with Plekanec. Resign Travis Moen and find an upgraded version of Staubitz... possible Parros.
6-reduce the media accessibility to everything surrounding the team but increase the communication between the GM and the media.

D4nY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:15 PM
  #85
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
- allow Timmins to keep complete control over the draft, including the ability to stick to his BPA list regardless of position, and encouraging him to make recommendations for draft day trades (eg. if he thinks Yakupov is miles ahead of the rest, try to move up, or if he doesn't like players available in the 2nd round, move picks for 2013 equivalents)

- do something with Gomez, depending on the next CBA... if it is similar to the current CBA, send him to the AHL

- test the market for Cole, ask him if he'd like to be traded, try to get a young, talented player

- pursue Semin

- let Moen, Darche, Staubitz leave, pursue young, cheap talent as depth forwards, pursue UFA leftovers (eg. Tanguay, Moore, Malhotra in recent years)

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:36 PM
  #86
s04
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
1-Hire a coach that will represent the new culture of the club and their identity (no-matter what the language is)
2-Revamp the whole system and make sure everyone agrees with this philosophy (scouts, minor league, staff around the team etc.)
3-Get rid of all the poisons in the room and talk with Mr. Molson about shedding salaries (even if it involves paying players in the AHL)
4-See if a trade involving prospects that are no longer needed or that doesn't fit with the philosophy is possible in exchange for a young #1 center.
5-Make sure you get the best player on your list at the draft while looking to get extra assets.

This year's draft may not be the best to rebuild, but I'm looking for next year to get top talent that will be the face of the franchise.

And another point on my list would be no-touch Grigorenko.

s04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 01:55 PM
  #87
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandvich View Post
1) Sleep with every players wife
Bold... very bold. Way to think outside of the box.

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 02:29 PM
  #88
jwolf
Registered User
 
jwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 595
vCash: 500
1) Decide (along with my owner and president) what kind of team we want to be moving forward and do a full evaluation on what I consider to be my core group of players and how they fit into that plan.

2) Hire the best management team and coaching staff possible to execute the team philosophy. Surround myself with people that I can include in any discussion and trust implicitly with the tasks I delegate to them.

3) Use this year's draft to bring in that long-coveted #1 center and make sure he will be developed the proper way in a winning environment.

4) Clear out as much dead weight salaries as I can (Gomez, Kaberle) without disrupting the important veteran leadership that is already in place.

5) Hold a press conference during which I introduce my plan and explain in detail how I will go about bringing this city a championship. I would then promise the fans an accessibility that they haven't seen in recent years and put something in place to make good on that promise: maybe some kind of monthly, on-line Q&A or radio/tv interview.

Steady, methodical and above all: WINNING!

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:09 PM
  #89
habitue*
 
habitue*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
- allow Timmins to keep complete control over the draft, including the ability to stick to his BPA list regardless of position, and encouraging him to make recommendations for draft day trades (eg. if he thinks Yakupov is miles ahead of the rest, try to move up, or if he doesn't like players available in the 2nd round, move picks for 2013 equivalents)

- do something with Gomez, depending on the next CBA... if it is similar to the current CBA, send him to the AHL

- test the market for Cole, ask him if he'd like to be traded, try to get a young, talented player

- pursue Semin

- let Moen, Darche, Staubitz leave, pursue young, cheap talent as depth forwards, pursue UFA leftovers (eg. Tanguay, Moore, Malhotra in recent years)
Sorry. You really want to do that ? One of the very few leaders we have on this team ? All your other points are (besides your 1st one) ...well... i won't say the word....

Thanks God you're not the GM

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:19 PM
  #90
Adam91
Registered User
 
Adam91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Victoria, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,759
vCash: 500
Blows my mind people actually want Semin here.

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:24 PM
  #91
Aurel Joliat
Registered User
 
Aurel Joliat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,609
vCash: 500
1. Hire Roy
2. Draft Grigorenko
3. Send Gomez in the minors or find him a team in Europe (or with the Alaska Aces ? he played with them during the lock-out)
4. Sign a big physical stay at home defenseman (like O'Brien) and get rid of St-Denis (minors), Weber, Diaz... Campoli is already gone
5. Sign a player for the second line (like Parenteau).

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:34 PM
  #92
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,964
vCash: 500
1) Hire Gerard Gallant as head coach
2) Try to sign Zach Parise
3) Jettison Gomez' contract. Be it AHL, amnesty buy out whatever
4) Sign Bryan Allen
5) Sign Stoll


If all goes to plan we could have something like this

Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty
Parise-Plekanec-Yakupov
Bourque-Eller-Gionta
White-Stoll-Stabitz

Markov-Subban
Kaberle-Gorges
Emelin-Allen

Price
Shooting Tutor


Last edited by Fish on The Sand: 03-31-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:09 PM
  #93
NLHabsFan
Registered User
 
NLHabsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,565
vCash: 500
I've been hoping they'd improve their D for the last couple of offseasons. So that's what I would make one of my top 5 priorities. I don't know how I'd get rid of Kaberle but it would be part of the defence makeover. I would let Campoli walk and trade Weber to give him a fresh start with another team as I don't see a spot for him. Re-sign Subban, Emelin, and Diaz. I would want a top 4 (if not better) left dman (righties are difficult to find). The two I would target are Suter and Stuart. Suter being the number one choice and would trade for his rights at the draft. Then I would want a good stay at home RH dman with good size and can play some PK. I don't see any real options in UFA so I would shop around and see what is available for trade. Three I would target are the Kings Greene, the Blues Polak, and even the Leafs Schenn. Don't know how likely either of them would be available but neither should be untouchable. Last I would sign a vet to play in the number 7-8 role with Diaz as injuries are assured to happen.

Suter/Stuart - Subban
Markov - Gorges
Emelin - Greene/Polak/Schenn
Vet - Diaz

Playing Emelin with Gorges and Markov with one of the three to be acquired could bring more stability to the pairings.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:20 PM
  #94
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 4,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Bold... very bold. Way to think outside of the box.
Quite the opposite, actually.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:24 PM
  #95
D4nY
Registered User
 
D4nY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I've been hoping they'd improve their D for the last couple of offseasons. So that's what I would make one of my top 5 priorities. I don't know how I'd get rid of Kaberle but it would be part of the defence makeover. I would let Campoli walk and trade Weber to give him a fresh start with another team as I don't see a spot for him. Re-sign Subban, Emelin, and Diaz. I would want a top 4 (if not better) left dman (righties are difficult to find). The two I would target are Suter and Stuart. Suter being the number one choice and would trade for his rights at the draft. Then I would want a good stay at home RH dman with good size and can play some PK. I don't see any real options in UFA so I would shop around and see what is available for trade. Three I would target are the Kings Greene, the Blues Polak, and even the Leafs Schenn. Don't know how likely either of them would be available but neither should be untouchable. Last I would sign a vet to play in the number 7-8 role with Diaz as injuries are assured to happen.

Suter/Stuart - Subban
Markov - Gorges
Emelin - Greene/Polak/Schenn
Vet - Diaz

Playing Emelin with Gorges and Markov with one of the three to be acquired could bring more stability to the pairings.
would you do Kaberle for Komisarek? they both have 2 years left and have similar cap hit... You get your right handed stay at home D and get rid of Kaberle. I know Komisarek with a 4.5 million cap hit is not very good but Kaberle is useless here with a healthy Markov and i dont see alot of opportunity to move him.. and im sure Burke would love to get rid of Komisarek.

D4nY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:16 PM
  #96
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4nY View Post
would you do Kaberle for Komisarek? they both have 2 years left and have similar cap hit... You get your right handed stay at home D and get rid of Kaberle. I know Komisarek with a 4.5 million cap hit is not very good but Kaberle is useless here with a healthy Markov and i dont see alot of opportunity to move him.. and im sure Burke would love to get rid of Komisarek.
Komisarek is as much of a defensive liability as Kaberle but doesnt score any points.

Big No Thanks from me

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:41 PM
  #97
Roulin
Registered User
 
Roulin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Sorry. You really want to do that ? One of the very few leaders we have on this team ? All your other points are (besides your 1st one) ...well... i won't say the word....

Thanks God you're not the GM
He's at an age where he could decline any year now. He just had a career year that he is unlikely to repeat. This is a losing team that should be looking to get younger. There is no harm in testing the market.

In my view, these are more rational arguments than throwing out a platitude like "leader."

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:27 PM
  #98
NotProkofievian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,160
vCash: 500
1.) I want Big Bird behind our bench in some form. I see him as being the perfect assistant coach for our team. Benoit Groulx seems like a great candidate for head coach.

2.) Draft Forsberg

3.) Gomez, Kaberle are gone. Guh'bye.

4.) Take a big swing at one of Parise and Suter.

5.) Resign our younguns.

NotProkofievian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:36 AM
  #99
Jsweenie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck191 View Post
#2 put gomez and kaberle on waivers or in minors. #3 draft a center with 1st round pick or trade the pick and plekanec to florida for 19 year old huberdeau. #4 trade eller and kristo to new jersey for 2 players in last year of contract zajac and clarkson. #5 trade bourque and minnesota born players kishel,conboy bennet for latendresse. #6 trade markov and yemelin to san jose for 6 foot 5 brent burns he and markov make exavtly the same 5.7 million. #7 trade gionta for mark streit to have depth on powerplay. #8 sign david perron to offersheet on july 1st for 5 years 27 million compensation would be 1st ,2nd and 3rd round picks in 2013 draft. #9 if st.louis matches try to sign semin to 3 year contract. #10 go get some size like brandon mashinter from the sharks for palushaj and brad malone from the avs big 4th line center.
You're kidding right? this team isn't going to be made into a contender through firesale trades and huge offer sheets. pleks is expendable for the right return, rather have grigs or galenychuk than huberdeau though if it means trading a roster player. This isn't NHL 12. Also I don't get why people are so eager to dump kaberle for nothing. Put up good numbers here someone will be interested once a team losses someone to injury.

Jsweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:32 AM
  #100
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,759
vCash: 500
Im a new GM?

No feeling for any player what so ever?

Ok


I trade Price to Columbus for first overall pick and plus /plus ...

I draft Yakupov,Grigorenko,Malcolm Subban

Trade for Radlov right at draft.


Deal Bufaj,sign Cristobal Huet as back up.

Offeason acquire one of these ufa Martin Brodeur,Nabokov,Vokoun
or trade for Miikka Kiprusoff

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.