HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Biggest Bust in recent history

Old
03-31-2012, 07:17 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 500
We should just trade our first round picks. Draft more Callys, Hagelins and Lundqvists

Tanner Glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:32 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Pavel Brendl and Jamie Lundmark, only because the Rangers busted two top-9 picks in the same draft year.

To only get 30 total points from two players picked that high is almost impossible to do.

That's impossible to do.

In the 30-plus year history of the NHL Entry Draft, no team has ever picked two players in the top-9 and had neither of them contribute less than 40 points for them.

The Kings came close. They drafted Redmond and Duncanson 9th and 10th overall, and they combined for 10 points in 45 career NHL games combined.

Yes, the 1999 draft was weak, but when you consider the price Smith paid to get those two picks, and the subsequent lack of production, IMO it's the worst draft performance in the modern history of the franchise.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:47 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Jessiman by far.

You look at that year's first round and you want to cry. Jessiman and Farladeau represent the low ponint for the Rangers.

Montoya is inconsistent, but I think he couldve been somewhat more useful for this team. Jessiman never even got on the radar.
Falardeau?

I didn't really have any expectations for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
The worst part about Redden (if I remember correctly) was we could have signed Chara instead
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Rangers made an offer to Chara and he instead chose to sign with the Bruins....
No, he was a free agent the summer we signed Shanahan.

He turned us down and went to Boston. We would definitely look good with him on the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Pavel Brendl and Jamie Lundmark, only because the Rangers busted two top-9 picks in the same draft year.

To only get 30 total points from two players picked that high is almost impossible to do.

That's impossible to do.

In the 30-plus year history of the NHL Entry Draft, no team has ever picked two players in the top-9 and had neither of them contribute less than 40 points for them.

The Kings came close. They drafted Redmond and Duncanson 9th and 10th overall, and they combined for 10 points in 45 career NHL games combined.

Yes, the 1999 draft was weak, but when you consider the price Smith paid to get those two picks, and the subsequent lack of production, IMO it's the worst draft performance in the modern history of the franchise.
While I agree, Sundstrom had that one good season where he scored 20 goals and 50 points, and Cloutier wasn't anything special. He wasn't going to be Richter's replacement either way.

CM Lundqvist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:19 PM
SnowblindNYR

Regarding Chara, if we had Chara do you guys think we'd have Gaborik or at the very least Richards?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:30 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

In no particular order, Montoya, Jessiman, Gomez, Redden.

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

The difference between Drury and Redden was that everyone should have realized the Redden was washed up before he was signed. I know that I did. I considered that the worst free agent signing (at the time of the signing) in my Ranger watching career, which predates free agency.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:37 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Brendl, Lundmark, Jessiman, Montoya, Sanguinette

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:08 PM
IBleedNYRBlue

I'd say Drury was probably the worst. We were basically paying a 4th liner 7.5 mill in his final years here.

IBleedNYRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:23 PM
Crease

Hated the Montoya pick when it happened. Goaltending wasn't even the team's most pressing need at the time.

The Jessiman pick is a joke though. Literally could have picked anyone else in the first round and came out with a player.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:31 PM
30theking

seemed like they were in love with getting old or injured stars such as lindros, bure, and shannahan

30theking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:00 AM
JayQueensNY88*

1-Brendl
2-Lundmark
H.Jessiman,C.Dube,Bobby Sangueinetti,T.Kloucek( A favorite of mine),Montoya(but was he ever given a real shot,anywhere?)

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:01 AM
JayQueensNY88*

1-Brendl
2-Lundmark
H.Jessiman,C.Dube,Bobby Sangueinetti,T.Kloucek( A favorite of mine),Montoya(but was he ever given a real shot,anywhere?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Hated the Montoya pick when it happened. Goaltending wasn't even the team's most pressing need at the time.

The Jessiman pick is a joke though. Literally could have picked anyone else in the first round and came out with a player.
No it wasnt a necessary pic and never understood it and didnt like it either and and unless your taking a goalie #1 overall,i do not believe u have to draft goalies in rnd 1......unless u got a true star...more often than not goalies are grabbed in late picks.LATE!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
But to get back on topic, obvious draft busts are Maholtra. Free agent busts Holik.
Dont consider HOLIK a bust at all to be honest......His contract was terrible but as a player he was excellent not nesseccarily utilized right and was still excelllent.He still was one of my more like F.A signings,just the price tag was way to ****ing high.

As for malhotra he wasnt a bust..had his self esteem crushed by Muckler and was never given a real shot. His stats in the games he played with NYR if I remember correct were fairly well..Malhotar drafted these days with the process of the rebuild NYR been going through,malhotra would have came along very well and wound up being a GREAT 3rd center.

he was given a real solid chance in Van and hes been fantastic.

Last edited by JayQueensNY88*: 04-02-2012 at 08:15 AM.
JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:32 AM
Baby Punisher

The 3 that always stick out in my mind are Brendel, Jackman & Lundmark.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Crease

Malholtra figured out what kind of player he is and has excelled in Vancouver. He failed in New York because of the piss-poor development philosophy they had.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Brendl is my pick, simply because he was such a waste of pure talent. So highly touted and so much natural skill, but barely even made an impact in the AHL, let alone the NHL.

Jessiman is second, but more so because he was a reach at #12. I believe his poor development set him back considerably, but regardless, it would have been nice to have a Getzlaf or Parise in the lineup.

Biggest FA bust is Redden. Unfortunately, that's more on Sather than it is on Redden. Throwing that kind of deal at him was asinine. Anyone with a brain knew that he was in the twilight of his career. I wanted him as a mentor for our D, i.e. 2 or 3 years at $3-3.5M per, but once he signed that huge deal, I knew we were screwed.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Kloucek wasn't a bust, per se. He broke down. His body couldn't support his game. I still get pissed when I think about Czerkawski holding his arms while Yashin broke his nose. Also, he was like a 4th or 5th round pick, hard to be a bust at that point. Also, not sure how he would have survived in the post-lockout NHL.

Lundmark and Malhotra I blame management for. They were both rushed and developed poorly.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Brad Richards, the guy needs to redeem himself bad!

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:14 AM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldshot View Post
Falardeau?

I didn't really have any expectations for him.
I think that stems from him being an early 2nd rounder, and the team's top pick from that draft.

In hindsight, just looking at the stats, he looked more like a guy to go in the mid-rounds rather then early 2nd. Don't understand what they saw in him at the time.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote