HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres @ Leafs | Leafs win?

Old
03-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Ari91

vCash: 500
In response to poster Dicemen from the GDT, when I looked at the standings, a win tonight ties the Leafs with the Isles and Ducks at 77 points however the Isles have a game in hand on the Leafs and after tonight, the Ducks will have a game in hand on the Leafs as well so the wins column won't matter tonight because the first tiebreaker applied right now would be games played. Unless nhl.com hasn't updated the Isles loss from today but I think they have.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:06 PM
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
Meh. I hope we end the season on a three game losing streak.
Not likely with these jokers. They'll likely win all three. They'll end up with the 8th or 9th pick and draft a stiff. At least 2 or three more years without playoffs, and not bad enough to get top 5 picks.

The endless cycle of **** will continue.

I think I'll become an Oilers fan.

Nyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:07 PM
DudeDuder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsky View Post
I know what you're doing, but it's just sickening people cheering their team losing...like its prideful to see your team lose, and jeer when your team wins, obviously you love the lottery when your 1st, but man...this draft should be done like the NBA. Tank nation has been disgusting.
Trust me, I don't like cheering for losses, but if you're going to miss the playoffs, you might as well get the highest draft pick possible. I'm also a big Raptors fan btw, and I've just watched Anthony Davis and MKG play, if losses is what we need to bring one of those guys to the Raps, then so be it.

DudeDuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Sundinforever13

LOL it is the same guy who called that night

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

I think I will quote myself from GDT to show some reality to my fellow tank nation members, but just frustrated with this win.

Quote:
Even I am all for tanking, but be mature enough at times and realise that its impractical for Leafs to lose all games. Besides, almost all teams in tank competition have a 1st overall player playing for them.. Columbus, Edmonton(2x), New York Islanders, Tampa(2x), Minnesota, Carolina. (Only Habs and Anaheim don't (Bobby Ryan = 2nd)). It shows that a good player can only do so much. A draft won't change that much.

Point is, everyone including me wants a good player out of the draft, but don't act like your ****ing life depends on it.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinforever13 View Post
lolz a tanker calls ... but tanking is the only LOGICAL thing anyway at this point. Anyone against it is being ridiculous.
If they lose honestly, great...we get a great pick. If they win honestly, good for them...they win a bit of self confidence and pride, and they get a good pick.

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:12 PM
scotian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty545 View Post
As much as losing helps the draft pick, this team needed a home win.
Agreed, most of these guys will whether we like it or not will be back next season and be to actually cheered off the ice tonight vs the past several games is a positive thing.

scotian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:13 PM
HarrisonFord
Lost a bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by binop7 View Post
Carlyle transformed Selanne, maybe he can do the same with Kessel
Man, that'd be great. Kessel with a little bit more toughness and some defensive capabilities is a pretty incredible player

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyCrazed101 View Post
In response to poster Dicemen from the GDT, when I looked at the standings, a win tonight ties the Leafs with the Isles and Ducks at 77 points however the Isles have a game in hand on the Leafs and after tonight, the Ducks will have a game in hand on the Leafs as well so the wins column won't matter tonight because the first tiebreaker applied right now would be games played. Unless nhl.com hasn't updated the Isles loss from today but I think they have.

Well it is the finally total points and if none of the teams get any points from now to end of season we finish ahead of these teams....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ari91

Crabb seems to like scoring shorties on Miller.

Maybe I'm not remember this properly but I'm pretty sure that tonight was the first time Scrivens has won a game in the ACC.

I know not Leafs but Marlies won their game tonight as well against Buffalo's AHL team. 1-0, Owuyu earning the shutout and Kadri with the lone goal in the game - 3rd goal in 2 games, hopefully he's starting to heat up for the playoffs!

Old
03-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

loved kessel work, and glad the guy is speaking up.

03-31-2012, 10:14 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
lolz a tanker calls ... but tanking is the only LOGICAL thing anyway at this point. Anyone against it is being ridiculous.
Ridiculous is believing that being for or against makes a difference.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:16 PM
Ari91

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Well it is the finally total points and if none of the teams get any points from now to end of season we finish ahead of these teams....
Isles last game of the season is against Columbus - the odds are in their favour to at least win one more game before the season ends.

Old
03-31-2012, 10:17 PM
diceman934

Our schedule is not a tough one to finish the season, we do not play any physical teams....I say we finish with 81 points.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:19 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
loved kessel work, and glad the guy is speaking up.
Far more engaged tonight. He also started the night by singing the Canadian National Anthem...dunno if thats significant, but its nice to see. Maybe there's some leadership emerging...

Old
Nyax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeDuder View Post
Trust me, I don't like cheering for losses, but if you're going to miss the playoffs, you might as well get the highest draft pick possible. I'm also a big Raptors fan btw, and I've just watched Anthony Davis and MKG play, if losses is what we need to bring one of those guys to the Raps, then so be it.
My god. It sure is depressing when the only hope for your teams is to lose everygame. Everything MLSE touches turns to ****. Has any city had a worse bunch of Pro sports teams in the last 6 years than Toronto? I highly doubt it. It's past the point of being pathetic. It's a sad state of affairs when the only thing to look forward to is a baseball team, that if everthing goes right, might finish third in their division.

Nyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ari91

In any case, my point about the win tonight was that it doesn't affect the standings right now.

Old
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
I think I will quote myself from GDT to show some reality to my fellow tank nation members, but just frustrated with this win.
You can remove Minnesota from your first overall list

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:21 PM
Im Old Gregggg

Quote:
yep....

-you cant expect a team of professional athletes to tank

BUT

-a true fan of a team should be on board to hope the team bottoms out when they find themselves in a situation like this (bottom 10 and mathematically out of the playoffs) the difference between a top 10 and a top 3 can be all the difference in the world between drafting a franchise face or a 2nd liner that can help in 2-3 years

A CRY OUT TO ANY ANTI TANKERS: SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND THINK ABOUT WHAT HELPS THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM MORE!!!!

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Sundinforever13

lol is this like the first ever female caller?

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ari91

Who was Scrivens' back up tonight? I didn't see the game so I don't know who was sitting on the bench but I noticed that Rynnas was not on the Marlies roster today and he would've had time to make it down to Rochester seeing as the team didn't play yesterday.

Old
Captain Clutch 13

I think Kessel's heroic last shift have people perceiving his game being better than it was but still he had a solid game. His classic power play curl n' snipe was used again, unfortunately most of his goals recently have been pp goals, without Lupul he hasnt done much ES. The work ethic and defensive play he displayed at the end is the stuff I wish he would do all the time, if he would he would be an even more awesome player.

Captain Clutch 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Ridiculous is believing that being for or against makes a difference.
Precisely.

The games will play out the way they play out.

Acting like a goon keyboard smashing cause we won a game does absolutely nothing.

Rare Jewel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:24 PM
dimi78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's good to see them win against the Sabres and ruin their hopes, but at the same time, the Jekyll and Hyde aspect to this team's psyche is just baffling. They seem to be able to put together a very strong game when the opposition is struggling, but when the other team comes out of the gate ready to play, they seem to wilt. Or maybe they just feel good with a fresh goalie in there? Who knows. Too bad for the tank too, but you can't lose them all, and I'm sure they'll try to move up.
It's not baffling at all and it amazes me people don't see where the issue lies. What did Scrivens provide tonight? How many games have the Leafs lost this year when they've got good goaltending?

Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs.
Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs. Fix the goaltending and you fix the Leafs.

Maybe after 10x it is read we'll understand where this season started to go south and where this team still needs to fix before anything else starts to improve as a team.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
yep....

-you cant expect a team of professional athletes to tank

BUT

-a true fan of a team should be on board to hope the team bottoms out when they find themselves in a situation like this (bottom 10 and mathematically out of the playoffs) the difference between a top 10 and a top 3 can be all the difference in the world between drafting a franchise face or a 2nd liner that can help in 2-3 years

A CRY OUT TO ANY ANTI TANKERS: SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND THINK ABOUT WHAT HELPS THE FUTURE OF THE TEAM MORE!!!!
Sorry...it means more that the core guys that are here next year can look at each other and say that they fought through some adversity and learned a few character lessons. And Scrivens builds off this experience as well, hopefully taking some confidence back to the AHL with him for the playoffs.