HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the first FIVE things you would do as the new GM?

Old
04-01-2012, 02:49 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

vCash: 500
so essentially as new GM coming away from 2012 draft, I just rebuilt the team into a force 2012 , no 5 year rebuild crap .

from the 2012 draft Montreal acquires

Yakupov
Grigorenko
Malcolm Subban
Radulov

Then off season i extend David D.
If i could, get a guy on the cheap like Daymond Langkow
try for Jagr

look at players like

Gaustad
Tootoo
Slater
Asham
Artyukhin

Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:03 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
so essentially as new GM coming away from 2012 draft, I just rebuilt the team into a force 2012 , no 5 year rebuild crap .

from the 2012 draft Montreal acquires

Yakupov
Grigorenko

Malcolm Subban
Radulov

Then off season i extend David D.
If i could, get a guy on the cheap like Daymond Langkow
try for Jagr

look at players like

Gaustad
Tootoo
Slater
Asham
Artyukhin
How do you manage to do all that exactly?

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
It centers around trading Price.

Price gets us Yakupov plus players and draft picks from Columbus .

We use our own draft pick to take Grigorenko at 3

Trade up using our picks to get Subban "if" necessary

Radulov ?use the picks or players in the Jackets deal,along with Montreal roster players and picks etc.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:13 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Blows my mind people actually want Semin here.
A team with a soft reputation signing the guy that slaps in fights, excellent.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:16 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
A team with a soft reputation signing the guy that slaps in fights, excellent.

Montreal says they want players who hate to lose? and want to win

Radulov is that guy

Old
04-01-2012, 03:18 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:20 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
You don't think Columbus would trade first over pick all for PRICE???

Old
04-01-2012, 03:26 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

This is why as a new GM, i dangle Price to Columbus....

Quote:
The No. 1 priority for the NHL roster is obvious—goalie Steve Mason has been terrible for three consecutive seasons, and the guys behind him (Allen York, Curtis Sanford, Mark Dekanich) all leave something to be desired.

"We know we’ve got to get better goaltending and that’s going to be an area we’re going to look very hard at to try and be active in that area," Howson told the Dispatch.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...#ixzz1qlsZ5zmb

Old
04-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Then what? Go with Budaj?

You don't dangle Price unless you have another great goalie somewhere, and we don't.
Makes no sense.

You should learn something from the article you're quoting. Goaltending is important.
Do you want us to become the Blue Jackets?

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Roke

Quote:
I've been thinking about dangling Price for some time, though Edmonton has been the team in my thoughts (especially if you can also take away one of their few quality defensemen to make the team weaker). It's very tempting I think you have to bring in a guy who can be an average-or-better starter first -your Bobrovskys or Schneiders come to mind and then probably signing a veteran guy like Vokoun for one season.. Otherwise you risk ending up like Columbus or Toronto with a huge amount of uncertainty in goal.

When it comes down to it I think there's too many cogs to turn and too much risk for it to be a realistic option. As "risky" as the Halak trade was trading Price and bringing in another goaltender carries a heck of a lot more risk because of the lack of organizational depth there. Any GM making that move would need a very strong backbone (and/or huge balls).

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:03 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Then what? Go with Budaj?

You don't dangle Price unless you have another great goalie somewhere, and we don't.
Makes no sense.

You should learn something from the article you're quoting. Goaltending is important.
Do you want us to become the Blue Jackets?
I already said, Budaj traded.

We sign Huet to back up,either Brodeur , Nabokov , or Vokoun

or we trade for Kiprusoff

Everything is ok

Old
04-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I've been thinking about dangling Price for some time, though Edmonton has been the team in my thoughts (especially if you can also take away one of their few quality defensemen to make the team weaker). It's very tempting I think you have to bring in a guy who can be an average-or-better starter first -your Bobrovskys or Schneiders come to mind and then probably signing a veteran guy like Vokoun for one season.. Otherwise you risk ending up like Columbus or Toronto with a huge amount of uncertainty in goal.

When it comes down to it I think there's too many cogs to turn and too much risk for it to be a realistic option. As "risky" as the Halak trade was trading Price and bringing in another goaltender carries a heck of a lot more risk because of the lack of organizational depth there. Any GM making that move would need a very strong backbone (and/or huge balls).

Habs could ride Nabokov ,Vokoun, Brodeur or Kipper until Marc-Andre Fleury or Lundqvist ,Halak become Ufa in a few years...

So Habs will be ok, not like we're putting a joe blow in nets...

and we'd have Malcom Subban coming up the ranks and could be ready for some show within 4 years time .

Old
04-01-2012, 05:11 AM
Corncob

Have been eagerly awaiting Habaneros posting in this thread

Disappointed that moving the team back to a magically expanded Montreal Forum with all the stuff in it that there wasn't enough room to fit the first time isn't amongst the first five things to do.

Not suprised that dealing Price then acquiring Radulov for unspecified spare parts is still the masterplan. Why don't Nashville want Radulov exaxtly? And why would Columbus want Price and not one of the easy to sign free agents you identified to sign? Nabokov is not a ufa btw.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:18 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtacular View Post
Have been eagerly awaiting Habaneros posting in this thread

Disappointed that moving the team back to a magically expanded Montreal Forum with all the stuff in it that there wasn't enough room to fit the first time isn't amongst the first five things to do.

Not suprised that dealing Price then acquiring Radulov for unspecified spare parts is still the masterplan. Why don't Nashville want Radulov exaxtly? And why would Columbus want Price and not one of the easy to sign free agents you identified to sign. Nabokov is not a ufa btw.

ah i missed Nabokov signed a 1 yr March 21...ok

As for Radulov, Nashville might want him, BUT can they afford him?or does he want to sign a long tern deal?Again if he doesn't sign a long term deal this offseason, he is gone imho.

Jackets likely want a franchise goalkeeper for future....drafting one will take 5 more years,they don't got that type of time left.

They need one now, already developed.Price would be right up there alley no question .

Just remember it was Gainey who was Price biggest fan, the next GM might not care.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Corncob

Quote:
As for Radulov, Nashville might want him, BUT can they afford him?or does he want to sign a long tern deal?Again if he doesn't sign a long term deal this offseason, he is gone imho.

Jackets likely want a franchise goalkeeper for future....drafting one will take 5 more years,they don't got that type of time left.

They need one now, already developed.Price would be right up there alley no question .
Ok, we think Radulov might not want to sign long term in Nashville (where he has friends from his first stint there and has kept a house there throughout his time in Russia...) but we're assuming Price will be fine signing long term in Columbus?

The problem is once again your 'magic wand' approach to any obstructions that completely ignore the real world. Lets try the following far more realistic scenario. Columbus accept your deal for the first overall pick in return for Price. Vokoun re-signs in Washington before July 1st, Brodeur retires and Calgary don't actually want to trade one of the two players that keep them in any kind of play off contention, and certainly not for the junk you're offering. Nashville laugh at your offer for Radulov and either re-sign him or trade him to a team making a proper offer.

Now what's the plan?

Old
04-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Ok, we think Radulov might not want to sign long term in Nashville (where he has friends from his first stint there and has kept a house there throughout his time in Russia...) but we're assuming Price will be fine signing long term in Columbus?

The problem is once again your 'magic wand' approach to any obstructions that completely ignore the real world. Lets try the following far more realistic scenario. Columbus accept your deal for the first overall pick in return for Price. Vokoun re-signs in Washington before July 1st, Brodeur retires and Calgary don't actually want to trade one of the two players that keep them in any kind of play off contention, and certainly not for the junk you're offering. Nashville laugh at your offer for Radulov and either re-sign him or trade him to a team making a proper offer.

Now what's the plan?

Roy as coach in MTL , brings Radulov to Montreal, period end of story ..

I THINK Radu is watching ROY.

Either it is this year or his UFA YEAR which is next year.....so it's a short WAIT .

Anyways , easy for us to get a goalie ....not worried

Old
04-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Anyways , easy for us to get a goalie ....not worried
Of course it's easy to get a goalie. It's just not that easy to get a good one and far harder to get a great one.

Which is why you don't trade away a top ten goalie with nothing but the vague idea that 'we'll be able to sign another one, and we'll draft someone who will be one in a couple of years.' Because, if it was that easy, everyone would have a top ten goalie with a future one coming through their system.

Still not really sure what you're trading for Radulov. Is his value less than Carey Price in your eyes?

Old
04-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
Of course it's easy to get a goalie. It's just not that easy to get a good one and far harder to get a great one.

Which is why you don't trade away a top ten goalie with nothing but the vague idea that 'we'll be able to sign another one, and we'll draft someone who will be one in a couple of years.' Because, if it was that easy, everyone would have a top ten goalie with a future one coming through their system.

Still not really sure what you're trading for Radulov. Is his value less than Carey Price in your eyes?
Anyone watch ST Louis develop a goalie?Some how they got two Vezina type goalies now ...imagine that .

Any one watch Ottawa pick one up for a 2nd .

Again Radu, you don't wanna give nothing up for him? just wait 82 games.

See Nashville can't have all three.Weber Suter Radu , i can't see it .
That is the catch 22, and if Radu don't sign a long term deal in a few months, he is a goner either way....just a matter of waiting.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Again Radu, you don't wanna give nothing up for him? just wait 82 games.
I'd be happy to give up assets for Radulov, I just don't know what you are giving up for Radulov. How are you acquiring him, yet still have the first overall you got for Price?

If Radulov is that good, why are Nashville accepting your junk in return for him?

And Nashville have plenty of ways to lock up Suter, Weber and Radulov long term.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:14 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Anyone watch ST Louis develop a goalie?Some how they got two Vezina type goalies now ...imagine that .
So we need Hitchcock as coach? I thought Roy was your coach. St louis didn't 'develop' anything, you don't develop a goalie in a few weeks.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Jsweenie

1. Hire best coach interested. Roy seems like a bold move, like the idea of it personally.

2. Entertain offers for our first round draft pick. Hold open floor meeting with scouting staff and take Timmins advice to heart. Targeting possible franchise center in any event.

3. Deal with the Gomez contract in whatever way serves the best interest of the teams future. Buy out being last option. Pitch hard for Suter, overpay if necessary but keep contract length under 5 years. Same with Parise.

4. resign price to long term contact. Willing to gamble on him being a dependable #1 to save on cap hit and front load contract. Sign subban max 4 years , no higher than 4m, thinking in the 3 to 3.5 range. PACs similar extension terms.

5. look for depth players through FA or trade market. Want strong two way physical wingers who can chip in 20 to 40 points fort third line, physical, strong skating energy players on forth line. Would love two more Ryan whites. Address any holes in top six or top for if Suter or parise don't sign. Jagr would come without a long term commitment and could pencil in with plek and gio.

Don't want to change too much. If I couldn't land the big fish on July 1, I would stand pat with our roster rather than bring in large contracts with b list top six players.

Jsweenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
So we need Hitchcock as coach? I thought Roy was your coach. St louis didn't 'develop' anything, you don't develop a goalie in a few weeks.
Exactly, they traded for it already developed....didn't have to wait 5 years.

Just like the Bruins won the cup with a goalie they never drafted.

If the Habs and their fans want a one yr re tool as opposed to a 3 year rebuild , you make the decision i stated above.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:29 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Exactly, they traded for it already developed....didn't have to wait 5 years.

Just like the Bruins won the cup with a goalie they never drafted.

If the Habs and their fans want a one yr re tool as opposed to a 3 year rebuild , you make the decision i stated above.
In your fantasy world, maybe. In the real world, no. Because (a) there's no reason for Columbus to take the deal (if they want a goalie rather than Yakupov, they can probably get better deals elsewhere, maybe Vancouver for Schnieder plus) and (b) as we've already discussed there's no reason to have too much confidence that you'll actually end up with a goalie anywhere near as good as Price anytime soon.

Your idea has a slim chance of a 'one year retool' if we really luck out and some other teams are completely asleep, a fairly high chance of just not working at all because teams like Columbus and Nashville don't want to do your deals and a decent chance of a nose dive into an Edmonton-style annual tank to get high end prospects that you then don't develop properly because you have no winning culture in your organisation and have to constantly rush them to their detriment because your team is so terrible.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:47 AM
Habs12max

Seriously, I don't get hfboards anymore. Everyone proposes unrealistic things and to thik that getting yakupov, grig, subban, radulov and whoever you want is ridiculous. Anyway, we are the montreal canadiens, we do no rebuild : we fix de pieces. Hahaha

Habs12max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:43 AM
bsl

Quote:
It centers around trading Price.

Price gets us Yakupov plus players and draft picks from Columbus .

We use our own draft pick to take Grigorenko at 3

Trade up using our picks to get Subban "if" necessary

Radulov ?use the picks or players in the Jackets deal,along with Montreal roster players and picks etc.
Columbus would not trade Yaks for Price.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote