HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Standing up for my team

Old
03-31-2012, 11:46 PM
StrongIslanders90

vCash: 500
Standing up for my team

I am frustrated as any of us with the whole DP injury fiasco, but enough is enough I had to take a stand on the main board and defend our own.

My post........

"The guy bleeds orange and Blue......No players that are any good want to come here....DP commited to LI when he was entering his prime....NOBODY askes to be injured and gets hurt on purpose....If Hossa,Luongo,Kovi,Bryz, or Ovi were to get hurt, would you all expect them to stop trying to return? They all have LONG contracts as well...It was bad luck and its not the only contract of its kind....Would I offer that to a player? NO but when a player is offerd a contract like that they are not going to turn it down.Its security for them and thier family.

I wish DP were able to realize that he can no longer take the physical demands of a pro Athlete. I wish he retired tommorow. The Isles are an easy target, say what you want about MAD MIKE and some off the outrageous trades we have made, our ownership problems, our mishandling of prospects, and our management and uncertain future, but the DP jokes are getting old and quite frankly, should not even be an issue that is made fun of.

I agree that its pretty weird thing for DP to buy the Isles fans lunch, but its more than I see other players doing for their fans and atleast somone realizes that we as Isles fans have Been Painfully Loyal year after year off dissapointment and heartach. He might not be the most beloved guy theses days around the colliseum, but atleast we know he is an Islander through and through whether on the ice or not, and is willing to do the rite thing by the fans.

I know their will be some that say if he truly cares about the organization and the fans that he will retire, but how many off you would give up on the thing you love the most and have done your whole life.

Kudos and much respect for Rickeys Friendly gesture.

No matter what outsiders say, we Islanders fans have a special bond to eachother and our team that will never be understood by any outsider. We love our Hockey team as much as anyother fans loves thiers, and we will continue to bleed orange and Blue until the end.

LETS GO ISLANDERS"

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:49 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

I agree that it's gotten old.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 11:52 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post

I agree that it's gotten old.
Thanks, especially coming from a Rangers fan.

But I guess I would have no ill will towards anyone either if my team was the best in the NHL

Old
03-31-2012, 11:59 PM
DingoAteMyBaby

You and I are not so different.

Both trying to defend our goalies who seem to get a lot of scrutiny.

DingoAteMyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:12 AM
UConn126
Bass Player.

It'd be sweet to see the Island get a solid team back. Tavares, Hamonic, and their other young guys should be solid pieces to build around. And it would be cool to see DP be able to maintain some level of health.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:20 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

I have no problem with DiPietro. I sympathize with any player struggling to return from injury. That being said, I do not think the force behind that constant ridicule is DiPi and his injuries, I think its management for signing him. Now hindsight is 20/20 and they obviously did not sign him with the knowledge that this would happen but I just wanted to point out that I don't think the jokes stem from him and his injuries.

I think its cool that he sprung for lunch for the fans. Its a good promotion and a way to remind fans that this guy still does want to be an islander and not being able to play is hurting him more than anyone. When Sid has been out, people forget about him and start to think about life as a fan without him. That is why they would always make those annoying practice videos and constant articles. However annoying they may have been, from an organizational standpoint its a necessity and this is a similar situation. Fans sometimes need to be reminded of a players dedication to the organization and this is a great way to do it. I applaud both Rick and the Islanders for this.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:15 AM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
It was a very nice gesture. Great post.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:31 AM
Polaris Husky
The North Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzee53 View Post
I have no problem with DiPietro. I sympathize with any player struggling to return from injury. That being said, I do not think the force behind that constant ridicule is DiPi and his injuries, I think its management for signing him. Now hindsight is 20/20 and they obviously did not sign him with the knowledge that this would happen but I just wanted to point out that I don't think the jokes stem from him and his injuries.

I think its cool that he sprung for lunch for the fans. Its a good promotion and a way to remind fans that this guy still does want to be an islander and not being able to play is hurting him more than anyone. When Sid has been out, people forget about him and start to think about life as a fan without him. That is why they would always make those annoying practice videos and constant articles. However annoying they may have been, from an organizational standpoint its a necessity and this is a similar situation. Fans sometimes need to be reminded of a players dedication to the organization and this is a great way to do it. I applaud both Rick and the Islanders for this.
I've really got nothing against DP myself, it's just hard to look past the whole Gillies thing, when it comes to the NYI.

Polaris Husky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:54 AM
Sirquacksalot
Nok

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmplate View Post
You and I are not so different.

Both trying to defend our goalies who seem to get a lot of scrutiny.
Everybody loves Schneider.

Sirquacksalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:00 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by millzee53 View Post

Great post...

I agree that the ridicule is more towards management, but what I was trying to point out is there are far more worse things that managment does that could be the subject of peoples "jokes" way before the DP signing. I was also trying to state that there are more 9 yr + contracts out there that can be compared to DP's and that if they were to be injured it would be the same situation..

The Isles deserve the scrutny for other dumb things they do but signing a goalie who at the time was young,team USA starter, and an ALL STAR , with a decent cap hit was not at the time a bad thing had DP stayed healthy.

Old
04-01-2012, 10:03 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
I've really got nothing against DP myself, it's just hard to look past the whole Gillies thing, when it comes to the NYI.
What Gillies did was flat out wrong and most level head and mature NYI fans hated what he did; but to hold one players actions against the entire Organization is wrong.

Its the same if people hated the entire Pens organiztion because of Cookes past.

or If one FAN of a team did somthing outrageous and we held it against an entire fan base..

Old
04-01-2012, 10:15 AM
WhatsaMaatta

I think people are more concerned with the contract than DP himself. Watching the game, you realize how badly he wants to play, if only because he's still out there after he's lost a few steps from the injuries. Imagine being so unbelievably good at something, then having it taken away from you.

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:17 AM
Sour Shoes
lol u mad cam?

even though it would make an already tough atlantic division tougher, i'd love to see the isles turn things around.

Sour Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Redcoyote
Hungry

For me it seemed like a lot of islanders fans made jokes about him in an attempt to laugh to keep from crying. Otherwise the situation is just damn depressing.

Redcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:27 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
"Standing up for my team"

Charles Wang posting on HF. Welcome.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Edgeworth*

But I like the Islanders. :c

And yeah, poor DiPietro, hope one day he can manage to put a season together and show people he's not awful.

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

Agreed OP. People forget that RDP can actually be a decent goalie when he's healthy.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I like the Islanders

DiPietro was one of the better goalies in the league before he got hurt and the price he signed to was a bargain for what he would have been worth.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:44 AM
Jacques G
Glassic

The guy just has incredibly bad luck with injuries. Between his knee, concussions, groin injuries... it's gotta suck. At some point though he has to come to the realization that he won't play hockey again. Any thoughts I had that he may return were effectively stomped out with his most recent injury (re-injury?) while he was already on IR.

While buying lunch for some fans is a nice gesture, the best thing for him to do for the fans is recuperate in retirement.

Jacques G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:45 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
I don't mind the Isles and I wish they were good. I'd love to see all 5 Atlantic teams run the East.

04-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Ashasx

Good for the OP.

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
The level of ineptitude and perhaps bad luck in the Islanders' organization makes it impossible to label them as anything other than a complete joke.

This perception has doubled with the introduction with those 3rd jerseys.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
If the Islanders were allowed to play to the cap, they'd be competitive and probably in the playoffs.

They could've signed Richards, Cole and Gagne with room to spare. It's really sad they're stuck in the toughest division in hockey and forced to compete in spite of their situation.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Machinehead
54★ 74★ 90★ 14★

*prerequisite generic post about how the team is not actually "yours"*

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:03 PM
GitcheGumee

You bleed orange and blue? You might want to go to the doctor and get it checked out, that doesn't sound healthy.

GitcheGumee is offline   Reply With Quote