HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who would you rather face, Washington or Buffalo?

View Poll Results: I want the Rangers to face:
Buffalo Sabres 47 29.94%
Washington Capitals 110 70.06%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-01-2012, 03:27 AM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

vCash: 500
I donīt care who we get in the 1st round because when you want to win a cup, you have to defeat all of them and there wonīt be easy games anyway!!

n1cON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:08 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Game 82

If it were solely up to you would you knock Washington out of the playoffs in favor of playing Buffalo? Or would you let them win essentially telling the Caps & Ovi we can beat them.

This is of course assuming Buffalo hangs around.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:33 AM
eco's bones

Personally I'd rather play the Caps--if only because living upstate I won't have to bother streaming the Rangers game to get Sam and Joe because we're getting the Sabres announcers instead (I hate Rick Jeanrette). Miller's capable of stealing any game he's in anyway.

With the Caps--you have to be careful with Ovechkin but I don't think the Caps defense or goaltending is as good. Anyway they've beaten us the last two times--it would be nice if we could return the favor.

I think the Rangers are better than both teams and 'should' (operative word) win against either.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:37 AM
eco's bones

You have to win here. I wouldn't want to give a team I was going to face right away in the playoffs any extra confidence. And I'd actually rather face them than Buffalo but we need to dictate the terms as much as we can.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:51 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Obvious...Caps..

Who cares about revenge ,you ask for the easier team.Which is Wash...

I believe all around Buff is better..goaltending a million times better and Miller is hot right now,so are the Sabres.Girardi and McD will shut down Ovie and his line..

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:53 AM
GAGLine

I think buffalo is done. They need to win out and for washington to only get 3 or less points in their last 3 games. It could happen, but it will be tough.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Players never go out there with the intention to lose so this is a moot point anyway. We will beat the Caps and then to it 4 times afterwards in the play offs

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Whatever happens happens. Sometimes you root for the team you'd rather play, and then they go ahead and knock your team out of the playoffs. 49ers fans were rooting for the Giants to be Green Bay and look how that turned out for them.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Graves94

You play to win. ALWAYS!
Remember last year? We all thought we were out of the playoffs, even though we beat the Devils in the last game of the season. We were hoping Tampa beat Carolina (In Carolina), in a game that basically meant nothing to Tampa, and Carolina had been on a good roll heading into that game, and with the win they were in. Tampa was up 3-0 after the first if I recall, and I remember thinking, you always play to win in professional sports (amateur as well).

Graves94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:01 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I'd love to play Florida. Panthers, Sens, Sabres, and Caps are who I want in that order.
Yeah, we match up better against Florida and Ottawa. I'd rather face the Sabres than Capitals, because as hot as Ryan Miller is right now, there is no hot Ovechkin to contain.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:51 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

We can more easily stop OV with our defense than we can score on a hot Miller with our often anemic scoring.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Dactyl

i want to play florida, caps are only 2 points behind them

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Not afraid of buff or craps, but I really want to spank the craps, sweep in first round justice.

It would be sweet to destroy the sabres too, but I don't hate the sabres. They beat us in a really good series in the past.

The craps on the other hand, simply unleashed a goon who proceeded to go out onto the ice and just deliberately take out out best face-off man. He had no other purpose.

I'd like to see the craps pay with total humiliation.

JMHO...

04-01-2012, 10:19 AM
NYR1724

Magic numbers for the following:

Florida
5 to clinch the SE
3 to clinch a playoff berth

Washington
4 clinch a playoff berth

Ottawa
2 to clinch a playoff berth

It's safe to say that Ottawa is in as they only need to gain 2 points or have Buffalo lose 2 points the rest of the way. The Capitals control their own destiny and can get in with 2 wins or 1 win and a Sabres loss. Florida is in good shape, but could end up falling to 8 if the Caps win out and Florida goes 2-2 (possible since they match up against Carolina, Detroit, Washington, and Winnipeg).

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Whatever happens happens. Sometimes you root for the team you'd rather play, and then they go ahead and knock your team out of the playoffs. 49ers fans were rooting for the Giants to be Green Bay and look how that turned out for them.
In defense of 49ers fans, rooting for the Giants is logical because it allowed them to play a home game as opposed to in Green Bay.

Anyway, I'd rather play Washington.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:33 AM
Fleury4ever

I'd hope for Ottawa or Florida...As long as Vokoun and Backstrom are injured I'd take Washington over Buffalo any day.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 12:55 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Ottawa or Florida please!

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Washington still gives me the fits. I'd rather face somebody else this year to be honest. Can you imagine another 1st round loss to those ****ers?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Vin2112

The Caps own the tiebreaker with Florida too. Panthers dropping to eight is a definite possibility.

Vin2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Never realized how close the Caps were to the division. I hope they win it. I would LOVE to play Florida.

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Vernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Never realized how close the Caps were to the division. I hope they win it. I would LOVE to play Florida.
Me, too. I heard a stat last night that this season when the Caps have Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin, and Green all in the line-up...they're 10-0. I'm still very confident that with their crap goaltending and mediocre D, the Rangers can handle them, but I'd take the Panthers over that group any day of the week.

Vernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Still hilarious how all the teams in the SE division have a negative +/- goal ratio

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:41 PM
Xtranova

Crossing my fingers that the Wings will pull a rabbit out of the hat in their third now. Florida up by one with a period to go... In freaking Detroit. I want Florida!

(Off course not going to be easy no matter who we face...but you know)

Xtranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue425 View Post
This is from the "Mike Green, what happened" thread. Not my post.
--
It's a perfect example when you draft entirely for skill and nothing for character, which is just as flawed as doing the same thing in reverse. You need to balance out your team with great people as well as great talents. Too many Capitals players play for the name on the back and when they run into trouble, they have nobody to dig deep and get them out. They break incredibly easy as a team. They've done some great work on the bottom line signing some really quality hockey people, but when your stars are all self-obsessed stat mongers you're not going to win forever.

I have never seen a team systematically quit on themselves the way this Capitals team has. Literally nobody on that team takes responsibility for where they are right now. They need to start moving these guys out to teams where they'll get a dose of reality and get set straight. I think that's why picking up a guy like Fedorov when they did was so very crucial because there wasn't a guy in that room that didn't respect him and play up to his level of compete, which was insanely high towards the end of his career.

Basically, Mike Green is a punk that has nobody on the team to tell him to focus more on his training than living it up. There is no accountability because unfortunately, their captain hasn't embraced the concept of being a hockey player 12 months of the year either. No other captain in the league would put up with the pathetic efforts of Green and Semin on most nights but Ovechkin can't implicate them without indirectly implicating himself so nothing is done. Coaches fall on their sword for this team.
--

Caps for all the reasons above.
Wow! What an incredible indictment of the team and it's players.
Kind of makes a lot of sense to me.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:56 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Well Giants fans were rooting for the 49ers to knock the Saints out of the playoffs and look how that turned out. The Flyers are hopefully this year's 49ers.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote