HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2012, 07:29 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
Your point is correct though in that we should not be slotting in a regular top six position just yet until we see how he does at Traverse City and training camp. There will be a lot of people gunning for those spots (McI, Erixon, Stralman, hopefully a healthy Sauer, etc).
Or at least until we actually sign him

Old
03-29-2012, 08:05 AM
NYR Viper

This is the type of kid that you pull all of the stops for. Send Messier to speak with him. Send Stepan and McDonagh after the season is over. Bring him in and show him the city and have the guys take him out. He is the real deal.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Edge

The kids a stud, someone would have to be crazy to not be I interested.

With that said, he's going to attract a lot of attention and the Rangers depth may actually work against them in this scenario.

Push comes to shove, I think he signs elsewhere.

Old
03-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The kids a stud, someone would have to be crazy to not be I interested.

With that said, he's going to attract a lot of attention and the Rangers depth may actually work against them in this scenario.

Push comes to shove, I think he signs elsewhere.
i dunno maybe he would want to come to a good team...it worked with Stepan and McDonagh....and if the kid earns it there will be room. like a Rozsival type trade...Eminger, Woywitka will be gone...Stralman should be back but could also be a 7th dman, Erixon also has to earn a spot and who knows about Sauer and Bickel if not D can also play forward...

Old
03-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Edge

Don't get me wrong, it's certainly possible. It's just a matter of what the player wants.

Either way, this kid is certainly intriguing. And I agree with an above poster, this is a kid you do a full court press on.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Most NHL management types feel the Rangers have the inside track to get Jason Schultz, the best. U.S. college defenceman who looks like he’ll go on the open market because it doesn’t appear he wants to sign with the Anaheim Ducks, who drafted him. “He could play with (Derek) Stepan and (Ryan) McDonagh, two former University of Wisconsin teammates,” said one NHL GM, who feels he has no shot at Schultz. “But the one team Schultz should be looking at is the Oilers. He could play right away and he can pass the puck to Hall and Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins and they can grow together. That would be a no-brainer for me. I’m not sure why Schultz doesn’t want to sign in Anaheim, though. Something must have happened.”
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...690/story.html

Matheson added Anaheim could trade Schultz to the team he wants to sign with for a draft pick. Its better than nothing. Schultz has to be willing to do that. Why wouldn't he wait until June 1 and just agree to terms with that team? Why would that team trade a pick for a player they can sign for free? Brad Richards situation from last spring. He wouldn't accept a trade for his rights. Same agency reps both players. Newport Sports.

Edmonton is light years away from being a very good team. Besides those 3 forwards,how many players does Edmonton have in place? Tambellini needs an entire new team but he doesn't even know the rules of the CBA. They need a #1 goaltender. Their D is terrible. The Hawks had Keith and Seabrook. Pitt had Letang,Orpik and Goligoski. Renney won't be back. Their AHL coach Todd Nelson is the rumored replacement. Disaster.

The Rangers are the perfect fit.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 04-01-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old
04-01-2012, 05:44 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Schultz can agree to terms after June 1. He can't sign the SPC until July 1 when the new league year begins.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:11 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

If Schultz doesn't want to play for Anaheim, why would he want to play for Edmonton? Yeah, the Oil have those three, but, Anaheim has Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Fowler, Sbisa and Hiller.

As for the Rangers, sign Schultz, get Kreider under contract, and have a solid draft that continues to improve the overall organizational depth, and I'll be very happy with the off-season.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:24 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
If Schultz doesn't want to play for Anaheim, why would he want to play for Edmonton? Yeah, the Oil have those three, but, Anaheim has Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Fowler, Sbisa and Hiller.

As for the Rangers, sign Schultz, get Kreider under contract, and have a solid draft that continues to improve the overall organizational depth, and I'll be very happy with the off-season.
I agree. Two years in a row adding two first round talents (Erixon + Miller, Schultz + ?) and contending.

I really hope we add Schultz. Then draft Kerdiles in June.

Kreider
Erixon
Schultz
Miller
McIlrath
Kerdiles
Fasth
Thomas
Yogan
St. Croix
Fogarty

Some serious depth in the system and the top five there would be at the Pro level.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:28 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I agree. Two years in a row adding two first round talents (Erixon + Miller, Schultz + ?) and contending.

I really hope we add Schultz. Then draft Kerdiles in June.

Kreider
Erixon
Schultz
Miller
McIlrath
Kerdiles
Fasth
Thomas
Yogan
St. Croix
Fogarty

Some serious depth in the system and the top five there would be at the Pro level.
Don't forget the assets the Rangers will get when they deal Dubinsky then sign Parise lol

I can't do smilies on the mobile site damnit!

Old
04-01-2012, 06:45 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

All you need to do is read his facts to see the kid has the potential to be a special player.

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho..._justin00.html

Old
04-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

Matheson added Anaheim could trade Schultz to the team he wants to sign with for a draft pick. Its better than nothing. Schultz has to be willing to do that. Why wouldn't he wait until June 1 and just agree to terms with that team? Why would that team trade a pick for a player they can sign for free? Brad Richards situation from last spring. He wouldn't accept a trade for his rights. Same agency reps both players. Newport Sports.

Edmonton is light years away from being a very good team. Besides those 3 forwards,how many players does Edmonton have in place? Tambellini needs an entire new team but he doesn't even know the rules of the CBA. They need a #1 goaltender. Their D is terrible. The Hawks had Keith and Seabrook. Pitt had Letang,Orpik and Goligoski. Renney won't be back. Their AHL coach Todd Nelson is the rumored replacement. Disaster.

Who cares about Jason Schultz? I want Justin . Regardless, good to hear.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Vitto79

I will always take a good young kid even if it stacks their D more, gives them a trade chip and who knows about Sauer right now

Old
04-01-2012, 10:49 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Please please please sign him

Old
04-01-2012, 11:30 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post

True, unlike Erixon, Schultz gets to pick where he goes...so it's unclear why a team would give up assets to get him. That said, If this kid has as much upside as some think, I'm fine moving a late pick to lock him up.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

He was the top scoring defenseman in NCAA the last two years. Lead the Badgers in scoring this year. He's the first defenseman to ever lead UW in scoring.

Third all time in goal scoring for UW defensemen.

Nominated as top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker Award the last two years.

Named WCHA Defensive Player of the Year twice. Only third player to ever win twice.

First Badger to post back to back 40+ point seasons since Pavelski and Earl.

First Badger since Rafalski to reach 100+ career points as a defenseman. And he did it in only three seasons.

Was on the ice for 69 of Wisconsin's 105 goals. 27 of 33 power play goals. And 10 of 17 game winning goals.

Was +11 on the season. 1.19 PPG #1 among NCAA defensemen.

He wasn't some overager, either. He's a 21 year old Junior.

He's the real deal. Adding him would be HUGE and we would still have our 1st and 2nd round picks.

We have no chance of adding any of this year's top defensemen in the draft. Schultz is probably better than any of them anyway. And closer to the Pro level.

Please, Slats, Gorton, and Schoenfeld, get this done.

Have Stepan and especially McDonagh text and call him.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:21 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Future is looking bright now, if they add him along with their first and second rounds picks this year, things are looking very good in Rangerland for the foreseable future.

Should really swing for the fences if a boom offensive player is available in the first when the Rangers pick.

Same goes for the second round pick, unless Subban is still available when the Rangers pick. By the time he's ready Lundqvist will be around 35 and a good mentor for him. I think he has the tools to be a quality starting goalie in the NHL one day.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post

The Oilers are the closest thing to my 2nd team, but I think they have some reasons going for them to be part of the Schultz sweepstakes.

1. Getzlaf, Perry are going soon-to-be UFA this offseason. Hall, Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins will be there for another 7 or so years at the very least.

2. The Ducks already have been grooming Cam Fowler to be their go-to-guy on defense. Who does Edmonton have? Perhaps Schultz might want to join a team where he'll get his minutes right away and wouldn't be under the microscope of a Toronto/Vancouver market.

3. Proximity: Schultz has stated that his favorite city was Edmonton, so who knows. It's also fairly close to his home, so he can have family attend his games at Rexall.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:29 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Henke was a 7th round pick.

Id rather use a mid-late pick on a goaltender than a higher pick.

Schultz is a key acquisition, though. It would open other doors to other options. That's for sure.

Im still high on Kerdiles. Who, not coincidently is committed to Wisconsin.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:35 PM
broadwayblue

While it would be great to add Schultz, just wondering why he would want to join a Rangers d that is pretty crowded. I mean the kid has got to know the Rangers have a fairly strong top 4...perhaps 5 if Sauer returns. While he could have a good shot at locking down a 3rd pairing spot, there have to be quite a few teams where he would have a much easier path to decent minutes. I'm not saying he couldn't earn a top 4 spot on the Rangers...but there are definitely obstacles for him to overcome to make that happen here.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:41 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
While it would be great to add Schultz, just wondering why he would want to join a Rangers d that is pretty crowded. I mean the kid has got to know the Rangers have a fairly strong top 4...perhaps 5 if Sauer returns. While he could have a good shot at locking down a 3rd pairing spot, there have to be quite a few teams where he would have a much easier path to decent minutes. I'm not saying he couldn't earn a top 4 spot on the Rangers...but there are definitely obstacles for him to overcome to make that happen here.
He adds something that this team lacks aside from MDZ and who arguably has more offensive potential then MDZ. I think he plays the right side as well.

Rangers are a young team poised to compete for many years to come, have shown that if you outplay someone else, you will play over them, regardless of your age, and the Rangers are lacking a player of his skillset.

It would probably be best for his development if he started out on the third pairing and got first line PP duties, too.

Old
04-01-2012, 12:45 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

We're lacking right side defenseman. We have an abundancy of lefties who play the left side. We need a guy like Schultz. He's got great offensive ability and is great on defense as well. He's a righty and plays the right side. He'd slot right in.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Staal
Erixon-Schultz

Old
04-01-2012, 12:47 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
We're lacking right side defenseman. We have an abundancy of lefties who play the left side. We need a guy like Schultz. He's got great offensive ability and is great on defense as well. He's a righty and plays the right side. He'd slot right in.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Staal
Erixon-Schultz
I agree with you but I really don't see two rookies paired up together on the third pairing.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I agree with you but I really don't see two rookies paired up together on the third pairing.
Like Erixon-Bickel?

Or how a rookie wont get top line minutes, yet the last two years Totorella has had Stepan and Hagelin earning top line minutes.

Tortorella will pair up who he feels has earned it.

If the kid comes into camp and is ready, he will have a spot.

The Oilers? He can go there and play 20 minutes, on a last place team, in the middle of an ice land.

Or come to modern-day Rome, play 15 minutes, and contend for a Championship.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:00 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
He adds something that this team lacks aside from MDZ and who arguably has more offensive potential then MDZ. I think he plays the right side as well.

Rangers are a young team poised to compete for many years to come, have shown that if you outplay someone else, you will play over them, regardless of your age, and the Rangers are lacking a player of his skillset.

It would probably be best for his development if he started out on the third pairing and got first line PP duties, too.
I definitely agree that if you outplay someone you will earn more ice time. I was just asking why he would want to come play on a team where he would have to overcome more obstacles to obtain that ice time. I would bet on some teams he could start on the 2nd pair and perhaps be on the 1st line with some excellent play. That is a lot less likely on NYR. Hell, for that fact alone I would think highly of the kid if he chose New York.

Closed Thread