HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#79 KINGS @ WILD, 3/31/12 - OT/SO Loss, Thoughts & Tidbits ... Oh well a Point !

Old
04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
damacles1156

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
I'll take Bernie in OT in the playoffs, every day and twice on sunday. Shoot-out is a gimmick that the sport needs to toss.
The point is the Shootout is probably here to stay, and if Johnny B wants to win 30 plus games a season as a number one; he has to learn how to perform in them.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Willard
Kings All The Way

A lot of NHL goaltenders don't make that OT toe save that Backstrom made on Richards. It was a good play by Richards, a great save by Backstrom. Might I remind anyone here that Backstrom is one of the best goaltenders in the world.

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:42 PM
damacles1156

This is why it's a Team game:

November 8th to (Mike got hurt December 1st but scored his first two games back) December 23rd.

Anze Kopitar : 2G 12A -9

Mike Richards: 11G 2A +5

Mike covered for Kopitar During that stretch Goal scoring wise. Of the Eight Games Mike was out the Kings only won two(that included the 8-2 pasting by Detroit) .

Kopitar is now returning the favor.

If Mike and Kopi don't do that this season(cover for each other), The Kings are wondering what golf clubs to bring out.

Last edited by damacles1156: 04-01-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old
04-01-2012, 02:59 PM
Docgonzo
Triple Crown Line

Thing that upset me about last night was at the beginning of the 3rd it looked like Kings were toying with the Wild, but instead of going for the throat Brown and Kopi kept trying to feed Richardson. But after the tying goal you could tell they were tired. I'm ok with the 1 point they just better bring the killer attitude next 2 games.

Docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:03 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
New team, New line mates, heck none consistent, Got hurt half way in.

He doesn't warrant any slack ?
Sure, and I've said so my self. But that doesn't mean criticism is unwarranted, and it doesn't mean the trade was justifiable (which it wasn't IMO). When is Sutter going to call him out? (Maybe he knows something we don't? Possible injury or off ice issue?)

Quote:
Mike had bad games just like Every King player did this year(not saying he didn't).
He's not just having bad games here and there, he's having bad games all the time. It's not even about points, he's just been ineffective and mistake prone in general.

Quote:
So what's Drew's excuse(spring training?).....That's all I am saying... If Mike puts up only 40 next year, sure flame away.
I don't know what's wrong with Drew, but unlike Richards he's still young and has tons of upside left. I said all along that he should have got Yandle money.

I expect Mike to bounce back next year and score around 60, but I still don't like the trade. He's just not good enough to pull the trigger on such a deal. Kings needed top tier talent, if that wasn't avliable, then they've should have "stayed the course."

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Kings definitely do have the head-to-head points tiebreaker over Phoenix (3-1-2=8 points compared to 3-2-1=7 points), which is the reason they're still listed in first in the Pacific despite the point left on the ice last night, and the reason they still completely control their own destiny for the division title.

Win out, and the Pacific is theirs, no matter what any other team does. So, it's time (past time, really) to learn the lesson that when your skate is on the other team's neck, you don't lift it up to be cute, you bear down and end it, like they did against Edmonton Friday night.

With Dallas's loss last night, the projections for the points needed to make the playoffs actually fell by one as well, so 93 points makes the playoffs as the #8 seed... so going 1-2 would sneak them in the back door.

94 points is enough to tie for the Pacific division. At this moment, the Kings are tied with the Coyotes in ROW, but we can't count on that being the case if the Kings only manage 3 points in the final three games, so to reasonably expect to win the Pacific safely, they're looking at four points...

So a record of 2-1 wins the Pacific.

I won't lie -- I still have a little fear that this team can find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (like they did last night). But 1-1-1 or 2-1 in the final three aren't that much of a stretch. So, I describe myself as "still somewhat anxious, but hopeful" on this last stretch.

Unfortunately, I think it's still a toss-up about whether they make the second round at all -- at the end of the day, this whole season is just going to be about the team "learning how to win", for a later shot at the Cup.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:26 PM
Fishhead

Richards definitely has an injury issue or something. Like JJM mentioned, Sutter hasn't called him out like other players, in fact he has defended him. Sutter has no qualms about calling players out, we've seen that already. His play has slowly been picking up and he is starting to look like the MR we saw at the beginning of the year. Lets hope that whatever it is, it continues to get better.

He really needed to have a few games off when he was visibly struggling.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:29 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Kings definitely do have the head-to-head points tiebreaker over Phoenix (3-1-2=8 points compared to 3-2-1=7 points), which is the reason they're still listed in first in the Pacific despite the point left on the ice last night, and the reason they still completely control their own destiny for the division title.

Win out, and the Pacific is theirs, no matter what any other team does. So, it's time (past time, really) to learn the lesson that when your skate is on the other team's neck, you don't lift it up to be cute, you bear down and end it, like they did against Edmonton Friday night.

With Dallas's loss last night, the projections for the points needed to make the playoffs actually fell by one as well, so 93 points makes the playoffs as the #8 seed... so going 1-2 would sneak them in the back door.

94 points is enough to tie for the Pacific division. At this moment, the Kings are tied with the Coyotes in ROW, but we can't count on that being the case if the Kings only manage 3 points in the final three games, so to reasonably expect to win the Pacific safely, they're looking at four points...

So a record of 2-1 wins the Pacific.

I won't lie -- I still have a little fear that this team can find a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory (like they did last night). But 1-1-1 or 2-1 in the final three aren't that much of a stretch. So, I describe myself as "still somewhat anxious, but hopeful" on this last stretch.

Unfortunately, I think it's still a toss-up about whether they make the second round at all -- at the end of the day, this whole season is just going to be about the team "learning how to win", for a later shot at the Cup.
Believe me the San Jose, Dallas, and Phoenix fan bases feel the same way about their teams. A loss seems to send certain fans over the edge. Just take a look at the Dallas GDT after the loss to San Jose.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Shellz

Quote:
The point is the Shootout is probably here to stay, and if Johnny B wants to win 30 plus games a season as a number one; he has to learn how to perform in them.
Yep.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
A lot of NHL goaltenders don't make that OT toe save that Backstrom made on Richards. It was a good play by Richards, a great save by Backstrom. Might I remind anyone here that Backstrom is one of the best goaltenders in the world.
One of the best? Maybe a couple seasons ago. He's above average.

It's funny because Backstrom sucks in shootouts, so Bernier must have been pretty bad, haha.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:31 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
It's funny because Backstrom sucks in shootouts, so Bernier must have been pretty bad, haha.
That's not how it works. Backstrom sucks in shootouts, so THE KINGS SHOOTERS must have been pretty bad, haha...

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
That's not how it works. Backstrom sucks in shootouts, so THE KINGS SHOOTERS must have been pretty bad, haha...
Haha, good point. Which is even more sad.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Just because someone sucks at something doesn't mean they're incapable of a good outing. This is why we play the game, remember?

Come on people, common sense.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:30 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

I quoted this so people can read it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Amen.

It's too easy to pin responsibility on ONE player. But fans love to do it, they just love to.

Doughty needs to be better, Richards need to be better, hell...if you wanna play this 'We could already have an X next to our name' game...then Kopitar should have been better for a stretch of the year...likewise with Williams, and Brown..I am sure if those guys didn't have scoring droughts around December and January we would have a few extra wins... and what about Penner and Stoll? or Lewis? How about Loktionov when he was up here? Or Trent Hunter and Ethan Moreau? I think Clifford had an awful start to the season. Maybe if all of those guys each had scored 2 extra goals or even 1 at the right time maybe we are in already?

See how easy that is?

You can't just say...oh Richards has 70 points and we are already division winners. It's not that Simple. It has always been, and always WILL be called a team game for this reason. You can't hang an entire season around one player unless your name is the Washington Capitals, and that players name is Alex Ovechkin. And look how that always works for them? That team goes the way he does.

Richards receives a TON of hate around here
A) because he has a history of being a producer and he is struggling in his FIRST season here
and
B) He was traded for two players which a lot of you had butt love man crushes for apparently.

I really hope this **** stops after this season because it becomes unbearable to come in PGTs on a loss and have everyone hang the loss on one player, or one certain play. Like the overtime save by Backstrom. Can't that just be a remarkable save by Backstrom and we move on? Oh no, because it was Richards we lost the game because of him.

If that is Kopi he makes that save on everyone likely says "What a save, man Kopis had a great game." and we move on. But because it was Mike Richards and he has been under the microscope from game one by a majority of this boards we have to hear this ridiculous ****.

It's a team game. You lose as a team. You win as a team. Every player at one point or another during this season SHOULD HAVE PLAYED BETTER. I bet even they will tell you that. THAT is why we don't have an X next to our name already. Not JUST because of Doughty, not because of Richards.
* This team really needed offensive help, but unfortunately took too long to rectify.
(I always wanted to use that word in a sentence!)

* It really hurt our top 2 lines that Gagne got hurt. Not just the scoring, but as we see with Carter being in the lineup, that having top 2 lines that can score is instrumental.

* No one on this Godforsaken team except JONATHAN QUICK rose to the challenge, to take the bull by it's horns... until we made that trade and called out a few of our leaders on this team while we were at it.

This season has surely been an enigma.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:23 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Just because someone sucks at something doesn't mean they're incapable of a good outing. This is why we play the game, remember?

Come on people, common sense.
Exactly. Bernier actually won in a shootout the last game that got there with him in net before last night's game and looked great in that SO. Overall, Backstrom and Bernier are crap in the SO, but this was Backstrom's night to win one, just like the last time Bernier won in a SO it was his.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Nose of Sutter

I would rather see Nolan up on Kopi's wing than Richardson if Carter is out tomorrow.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:25 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
I quoted this so people can read it again.

* This team really needed offensive help, but unfortunately took too long to rectify.
(I always wanted to use that word in a sentence!)

* It really hurt our top 2 lines that Gagne got hurt. Not just the scoring, but as we see with Carter being in the lineup, that having top 2 lines that can score is instrumental.

* No one on this Godforsaken team except JONATHAN QUICK rose to the challenge, to take the bull by it's horns... until we made that trade and called out a few of our leaders on this team while we were at it.

This season has surely been an enigma.
You Rock,

Enough said.....

Old
04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
New team, New line mates, heck none consistent, Got hurt half way in.

He doesn't warrant any slack ? Look how long it took Sutter just to get the Kings to attack middle ice.... Mike had bad games just like Every King player did this year(not saying he didn't).

So what's Drew's excuse(spring training?).....That's all I am saying... If Mike puts up only 40 next year, sure flame away.

Mike has picked it up a little with Carter and King so that's is good. Also everyone is forgetting how bad the PP really is, all the top guys would be 5 to 8 points higher right now if the PP was above average.

The good thing is all these guys are starting to pick up their game at the right time. Lets hope it carries them into and through the playoff's.

Exactly. If Richards doesn't produce next year with a whole season with Carter at his wing or good consistent linemates I will jump on the flame train surely.

But like Saveme said...this whole season has been enigmatic. Noe one excluded save Quick. Hanging it on one guy is ****ing stupid. Plain and simple.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:20 PM
Fishhead

If you are going to have an enigmatic season like the Kings have, the best thing possible is to peak at the end, which they have. Since the Carter trade they are 12-5-1 and among the best in both scoring goals and keeping them out. There aren't many teams that are hotter.

Even when Carter doesn't score or is out they are still winning. His arrival brought balance and made the team hard to match-up against, but it also brought confidence.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:10 AM
kingsboy11
Thank You Landon

unfortuately I had to miss the game due to a tournement that I had. I did see that they were winning after 2 periods and they gave up a goal in the 3rd. What really suprised me was seeing richardson scoring. I thought he had a horrible game against edmonton and then he scores 2 goals?

kingsboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:15 AM
gonegonegone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Believe me the San Jose, Dallas, and Phoenix fan bases feel the same way about their teams. A loss seems to send certain fans over the edge. Just take a look at the Dallas GDT after the loss to San Jose.
i honestly don't know what phx and dallas fans have to complain about, both are doing well above expectations.

your team and my team have both been monumental disappointments though. the fact that both of us are fighting for our playoff lives is pathetic.

gonegonegone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Richards definitely has an injury issue or something. Like JJM mentioned, Sutter hasn't called him out like other players, in fact he has defended him. Sutter has no qualms about calling players out, we've seen that already. His play has slowly been picking up and he is starting to look like the MR we saw at the beginning of the year. Lets hope that whatever it is, it continues to get better.

He really needed to have a few games off when he was visibly struggling.
I think he's had some strong games of late, but I do agree that there seems to be something different with the Richards we saw earlier in the season and the Richards that came back from his concussion injury.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I dunno....have your brain bounced off your skull while.....riding a motorcycle...and see if you go right back to 100% riding all out within 6 months.

Won't happen.

And that's not even something that almost REQUIRES physical contact on a nightly basis.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:47 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

For the past 3 weeks now all I am hearing that other teams don't want to face The LA Kings in the playoffs.

That is, if we get in in the first place...

Old
04-02-2012, 12:50 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
Even when Carter doesn't score or is out they are still winning. His arrival brought balance and made the team hard to match-up against, but it also brought confidence.
Well, that, and management calling out a few of the core.

Brown and Kopitar have really led the charge.

When your leaders are doing that, it's contagious.