HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — U.S.A.

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2012, 05:13 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
In my opinion whether a player accepts or not should have very little effect on what the roster looks like for Sochi. The tournaments are two different beasts and should be viewed as such when trying to make a roster.

While some on here would fault guys for passing on the tournament it is tough to knock someone who is likely very diminished both physically and mentally after the NHL season (much longer and more grueling than any of the other European leagues).

In fact, in the past it has always looked like the USA squad has gone with younger players who had smaller roles with their teams - the Komisareks, Freddy Meyers, and Trevor Daleys of the world before they were logging big-time minutes.

It also seems that there is a tendency for the USA to look to players who were in the USA Hockey junior programs and had success.

That being the case, I'd imagine that the roster will reflect that this season as well - and that may be a good thing. In looking at the European teams of late, that have been so successful in recent years, many are missing their front line NHL guys but manage to compete using guys that are fresh and haven't had the pounding of some of the bigger names.

Along those lines, there are several Americans playing in Europe - and especially in Finland and Sweden - that might be considered for the team and could be effective in a short series tournament like the WC - without feeling the effects of both the NHL season (and in the case of the guys coming from teams that were beaten in the first round - a ten-hour flight as well).

Among the goalies with experience in Europe, Robert Esche has represented the USA at six tournaments and is coming off a strong playoff performance in Switzerland. Chris Holt played for Dynamo Riga and also in the Deutschland Cup for Team USA.

Like Esche, veterans Mike York and Andrew Hutchinson might provide some experience and would also likely appreciate the tournament more than some of the younger guys coming over from North America. And veteran Andy Roach had success with Team USA in the past

And it'd be interesting to see guys like Robbie Schremp and Robbie Earl who've had experience with Team USA in the past and have only played fifty or so games as opposed to the NHLers who've played 80+.

One-time Devils prospect Barry Tallackson as well as former NCAA stars Jeremy Dehner, Broc Little, and Ryan Gunderson, viewed as too small to be NHL prospects, might also be effective in this type of tournament.
so what your saying is we are going to put together a team of Robbie Schremp and Barry Tallackson as top 9 forwards...

its over before it even started!

I am just being sarcastic and I understand your point, but long season or not, these guys that claim representing your country is such an honor needs to do so not just on the biggest of stage (the Olympics) but every time USA calls for them.

There are over 220 Americans that have stepped on NHL ice this year, we simply should not EVER have to rely on the Robbie Schremps and Andrew Hutchinsons of the world...not anymore. I like both of those guys, huge fans of them years back especially Hutchinson with his Michigan State days, but there is no excuse for us to have to go to European leagues for anything but a goalie imo.

On the bigger ice Earl and Schremp could be pretty solid, but I just keep hoping for much more every year.

And when did Trevor Daly play for the US? Did I miss something?

Old
03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

The US Deutschland Cup team was composed of most of the best US players playing in Europe this season and they lost all three games in that tournament to the Swiss, Slovaks and Germans, who were all playing with relatively young, experimental rosters. I've considered the notion of adding European based players in the past but I just don't think it would change things all that much.

Old
03-26-2012, 08:25 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
The US Deutschland Cup team was composed of most of the best US players playing in Europe this season and they lost all three games in that tournament to the Swiss, Slovaks and Germans, who were all playing with relatively young, experimental rosters. I've considered the notion of adding European based players in the past but I just don't think it would change things all that much.
We might have to in net. Someone like Esche or Curry. Just not that many options behind Montoya and I guess Campbell. Unless we look to AHL'ers or college players.

Old
03-26-2012, 09:01 PM
Rhaego

vCash: 50
If the Avs don't make the playoffs, I suspect Peter Mueller would go if invited.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:15 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
thats a team totally comprised of those guys, but I agree I expected more out of those guys..

I think 1-2 of them wouldnt be the end of the world especially if it is a Jon Curry or Robert Esche.

Note, the team was coached by Don Wadell...that should explain the 3 loses.

Old
03-26-2012, 11:16 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
If the Avs don't make the playoffs, I suspect Peter Mueller would go if invited.
I would hope so, but it depends on his head and if he wants to risk another concussion...

Mueller would be a ring leader for us on the bigger ice, would love to see it.

Old
03-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

My mistake on Daley. He played for Canada when the US had guys like Komisarek and Meyers in Latvia.

And wasn't suggesting a team full of European-based Americans. But holding a month-long camp in Europe prior to the tournament with those type of players and maybe some NCAA prospects and then supplementing the roster with NHL additions might develop a more cohesive roster while allowing those players to reach a higher level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
so what your saying is we are going to put together a team of Robbie Schremp and Barry

And when did Trevor Daly play for the US? Did I miss something?

Old
03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
My mistake on Daley. He played for Canada when the US had guys like Komisarek and Meyers in Latvia.

And wasn't suggesting a team full of European-based Americans. But holding a month-long camp in Europe prior to the tournament with those type of players and maybe some NCAA prospects and then supplementing the roster with NHL additions might develop a more cohesive roster while allowing those players to reach a higher level.
I don't think so. Talent is talent and you can only polish a turd so much. My hope for this year is the U.S. can secure a quality coach (Ron Wilson?) and get some decent NHL talent to follow.

Old
03-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Clever line but in reality that is what the European teams do through the various Cup tournaments and practice camps. By getting a wide range of players involved they are constantly developing so that there is some depth when guys are not available for whatever reason.It also encourages continued skills development. Something that is not always considered when guys reach the pro level in North America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I don't think so. Talent is talent and you can only polish a turd so much. My hope for this year is the U.S. can secure a quality coach (Ron Wilson?) and get some decent NHL talent to follow.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
William H Bonney

Kind of weird that there hasn't been any information from USA Hockey yet on this team regarding an official GM, etc. We know it'll be a committee approach but you'd figured they would have announced the figurehead - Brian Burke - by now.

NHL season ends on April 7th and there's some real talent already guaranteed to be available. While the tournament doesn't start until May 4th, exhibition games will start about 3 weeks after the end of the season. Hopefully Burke and the rest of USA Hockey have already been in contact with Bobby Ryan, Erik Cole, Max Pacioretty, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Phil Kessel, etc.

Edit: And we have our first confirmed player on the team...Bobby Ryan! Great way to start getting a forward of his caliber.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-01-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old
04-01-2012, 03:13 PM
William H Bonney

Team USA

Accepted Invitation

F - Cam Atkinson (CBJ)
F - Pat Dwyer (CAR)
F - Kyle Okposo (NYI)
F - Max Pacioretty (MON)
F - Bobby Ryan (ANA)
F - Nate Thompson (TBL)

D - Justin Faulk (CAR)
D - Cam Fowler (ANA)
D - Jack Johnson (CBJ)
D - Jeff Petry (EDM)

Mulling Invitation

F - Blake Wheeler (WPG)

D - Zach Bogosian (WPG)

Declined Invitation

F - Erik Cole (MON)
F - R.J. Umberger (CBJ) *Does it really matter?*

D - Dustin Byfuglien (WPG): *Injured Foot*
D - James Wisniewski (CBJ) *Rest after injury riddled season*

Available Players

F - Jason Blake (ANA)
F - Nick Bonino (ANA)
F - Tim Connolly (TOR)
F - Joey Crabb (TOR)
F - Phil Kessel (TOR)
F - Chad LaRose (CAR)
F - Ryan Malone (TBL)
F - Jim Slater (WPG)
F - Tim Stapleton (WPG)
F - David Steckel (TOR)
----
D - Mark Eaton (NYI)
D - Tom Gilbert (MIN)
D - Tim Gleason (CAR)
D - Ron Hainsey (WPG)
D - Mike Komisarek (TOR)
D - J.M. Liles (TOR)
D - Jamie McBain (CAR)
D - Mark Stuart (WPG)
D - Ryan Whitney (EDM)
----
G - Brian Boucher (CAR)
G - Al Montoya (NYI)

Unavailable Players

F - Matt Cullen (MIN) *Injury*
F - Brian Gionta (MON) *Injury*
F - Scott Gomez (MON) *Injury*
F - Ryan Shannon (TBL) *Injury*
----
D - Jake Gardiner (TOR) *AHL Playoffs*
----
G - Rick DiPietro (NYI) *Injury*

Last edited by William H Bonney: 04-05-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old
04-01-2012, 04:19 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Getting Ryan is huge.

Buffalo looks like they will be missing. I hope Pommer accepts to improve his Olympic standing. Gerbe and Weber are hurt so they probably will decline. Stafford is still a possibility, as is Leopold. Kaleta has been banged up all year so he'll likely pass. And Miller has played the last gazillion games, don't think he will accept. Unfortunately, Marcus Foligno is locked into Canada from the WJC.

Getting Pommer/Stafford would be huge though.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Getting Ryan is huge.

Buffalo looks like they will be missing. I hope Pommer accepts to improve his Olympic standing. Gerbe and Weber are hurt so they probably will decline. Stafford is still a possibility, as is Leopold. Kaleta has been banged up all year so he'll likely pass. And Miller has played the last gazillion games, don't think he will accept. Unfortunately, Marcus Foligno is locked into Canada from the WJC.

Getting Pommer/Stafford would be huge though.
If Buffalo misses out on the playoffs, Pominville has to accept if he wants to have any chance at playing in the 2014 Olympics. He's had a great year and would be a big addition to this team and it would help to rebuild some of the damage he apparently did by turning down the WC right before the Olympics without reason.

Stafford would be a strong addition as well. A letdown of a season for him but he'd provide good skill/depth on this team.

Miller would be the real big fish though. Probably not likely at all that he'd accept but the team really needs him because pretty much any other American goalie of note would be in the playoffs. We'd be looking at some combo of Montoya/Esche/Campbell as our targets. That said, there is enough time for the first round to end and make some goalies (Quick, Thomas, Howard, Schneider, Anderson, Clemmensen, Johnson) available.

Bobby Ryan is a huge start, obviously could probably already include Jack Johnson as well, and also gives me hope that some of the other big fish that are currently available will accept as well.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:08 PM
ktf

Send a message via MSN to ktf
Not that he would of been invited, but Jake Gardiner will be with the Marlies for their playoffs, which means he would have to be a late addition

Old
04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
William H Bonney

Dustin Byfuglien, if asked, would decline due to a lingering bone injury in his foot.

Quote:
The Minnesota native said he would have to decline an invitation if the U.S. asked him to play at the world championship in Finland because of the injury
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/04/0...-soldiering-on

Old
04-01-2012, 09:01 PM
afrobomber11

might as well put jack campbell on the list, hes done junior and hes in texas who are not making the playoffs, hes going to be available

Old
04-01-2012, 09:29 PM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Awesome to have Bobby Ryan be the first to accept a spot. Hopefully this has a domino effect that brings other quality players into the fold. Now's the time for any tweeners to prove they belong at the next Olympics.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

My biggest concern is in goal. I guess a guy like Montoya will be asked. They should probably reserve a spot for a guy like Anderson or Clemmensen.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

bravo to Bobby Ryan for accepting...but the biggest factor here is he didnt "mull" it over and drag things out. the guy stepped up and said he is in...I love that! having a star player like him as our first player is such a huge boost and will certainly shape this thing a bit better.

I am almost sure Kessel and Wheeler will come on board now as well....if Wheeler came last year with no support, this year already looks to be miles better only one player in...

Old
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
SnackTime

According to a finnish newspaper. Usa:s Jack Johnson joins team Usa.says he confirmed at columbus training session.Looking that Usa getting a good team to the tournament only worrying about the goalie situation

Old
04-03-2012, 11:05 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Jack Johnson is in as well...as if there was any doubt!!

he will be Captain of the team!

Old
04-03-2012, 11:07 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnackTime View Post
According to a finnish newspaper. Usa:s Jack Johnson joins team Usa.says he confirmed at columbus training session.Looking that Usa getting a good team to the tournament only worrying about the goalie situation
ahhh, beat me to it!

Old
04-03-2012, 02:28 PM
PaulieVegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
My biggest concern is in goal. I guess a guy like Montoya will be asked. They should probably reserve a spot for a guy like Anderson or Clemmensen.
Honestly I think we can do a lot worse than Montoya if he ends up being our guy. We could do better, yes. But I wouldn't be so worried about Montoya that I throw in the towel.

Would be nice to see Anderson but I think Clemmer is a free agent this offseason, so he won't go.

If our defensive group is as weak as it's been the last couple seasons it may not matter who's in goal, a prime Hasek might not even help with guys like Taylor Chorney and Jack Hillen paired up in front of him.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:56 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Any coaching staff named?

Old
04-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Exit Dose

Anaheim's beat writer says that Fowler will go if invited.

Closed Thread