HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers interested in Justin Schultz as a free agent

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2012, 01:01 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
We're lacking right side defenseman. We have an abundancy of lefties who play the left side. We need a guy like Schultz. He's got great offensive ability and is great on defense as well. He's a righty and plays the right side. He'd slot right in.

McDonagh-Girardi
Del Zotto-Staal
Erixon-Schultz
And I assume you are of the opinion that Sauer's playing days are over?

Old
04-01-2012, 01:06 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
And I assume you are of the opinion that Sauer's playing days are over?
Judging from what happened with Staal...there's no reason to assume Sauer will be back to start the season.

He may very well lose his spot to one of McIlrath, Schultz(if he signs), or Erixon.

Im a big fan of Sauer. He's one of my favorite players. But we don't know what his status will be.

And you don't operate a team hoping a guy will recover. You make sure you have enough options to fill that hole, if it exists, and have a healthy competition of solid players for that position.

Best case scenario, all of these players are the real deal, Sauer recovers 100% and we have so much depth we can use it to fill another hole.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:18 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Judging from what happened with Staal...there's no reason to assume Sauer will be back to start the season.

He may very well lose his spot to one of McIlrath, Schultz(if he signs), or Erixon.

Im a big fan of Sauer. He's one of my favorite players. But we don't know what his status will be.

And you don't operate a team hoping a guy will recover. You make sure you have enough options to fill that hole, if it exists, and have a healthy competition of solid players for that position.

Best case scenario, all of these players are the real deal, Sauer recovers 100% and we have so much depth we can use it to fill another hole.
Fair enough about Sauer...I too hope he's able to return next season, but there's certainly reason for concern there. But my point still remains...even with Sauer out indefinitely, Schultz would be looking at competing for a 3rd pair spot. There's a chance he wouldn't win it. Plenty of teams could give him a much easier path to permanent playing time.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:26 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its something he's going to have to think about.

Compete for a position that's not guaranteed, a position you have to earn in camp and maintain through your play. And contend for a Championship in the process.

Or go get a spot handed to you by default because your team is perennially in the gutter.

Give me the chance to earn a spot on a Championship caliber team, thanks.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers covet Schultz for a reason. Schultz is a right handed shooting D. He can provide offense. The Rangers don't have another player like him in the organization. Schultz should be confident enough in his ability to secure on a spot. Who is Schultz competing against for a spot on the right side? The Rangers will find a spot for him. Last June before the draft,Gorton and Clark had a video chat with Jim Cerny. The topic was using #15 on a D. Gorton and Clark said they would take a D with #15 because they could move one of their D in a trade. They know which teams like their D.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:56 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

When the Rangers won the Cup in 94 they had Leetch and Zubov.

Zubov lead that team in scoring through the regular season. Leetch was already a great but he became an immortal in the playoffs.

You can never have enough defense.

I believe a defenseman's first and main job is to defend and prevent goals against. But defensemen that are not only good defensively, but can also move the puck at a high-end level are just as important.

Rangers have Del Zotto, who is a high-end offensive defenseman (not like Karlsson, but who is?) who improved his game in his own end.

McDonagh is a high-end two way payer. But his offense isn't there yet.

Erixon should get physically stronger.

Staal is a high-end defensive defenseman.

So is Girardi.

If Schultz can come in and provide the offense, and continue to improve in his own end, our defense can become ridiculously dynamic.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:10 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:

Zubov lead that team in scoring through the regular season. Leetch was already a great but he became an immortal in the playoffs.

I believe a defenseman's first and main job is to defend and prevent goals against. But defensemen that are not only good defensively, but can also move the puck at a high-end level are just as important.

Rangers have Del Zotto, who is a high-end offensive defenseman (not like Karlsson, but who is?) who improved his game in his own end.

So is Girardi.

If Schultz can come in and provide the offense, and continue to improve in his own end, our defense can become ridiculously dynamic.
A top pairing defenseman needs to be a shut down, defense first oriented player. It's a plus if they are physical because that's just another element an opposing team's top line would have to deal with.

McD is turning into a great player. I'm thrilled at how he's developed. But personally I would much rather have Staal on the 1st line pairing. Staal adds a more physical aspect that Girardi specifically feeds off of and focuses slightly more on with him as a partner. With McD, it seems that Girardi's physical presence has kind of diminished.

If we were to sign Schultz, I'd love to see pairings of:

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
MDZ-Erixon

Then have Sauer as part of a package for another winger or prospects and call up Schultz to play with McD about halfway through the season.

I think those 3 lines would have an equal balance of playing time and would be fresher than any other defense in the league going into the playoffs. We have our shut down defensive physical top pairing. Then we'd add an element of shutdown and offense on each of the next 2 pairings that could get the job done defensively while also adding much needed offense.

I don't think we'd have much of a problem if a few other defensemen pan out for us. We'll address those problems when we come to them.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:28 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Rangers covet Schultz for a reason. Schultz is a right handed shooting D. He can provide offense. The Rangers don't have another player like him in the organization. Schultz should be confident enough in his ability to secure on a spot. Who is Schultz competing against for a spot on the right side? The Rangers will find a spot for him. Last June before the draft,Gorton and Clark had a video chat with Jim Cerny. The topic was using #15 on a D. Gorton and Clark said they would take a D with #15 because they could move one of their D in a trade. They know which teams like their D.
Seems complicated though, no? Our left D consists of Staal/MDZ/McDonagh.... Wouldn't make any sense to move Del Zotto in an effort to add offense to the blue line by signing Schultz.... McDonagh's value is sky high due to his rising stock, high potential, and young age + inexpensive cap hit. Staal might seem like the most logical choice to shop on paper, but he's also an assistant captain and important guy in the locker room, what kind of message might that send to the team if they ship him out? Not sure.

Old
04-01-2012, 02:56 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Why would the Rangers move the left side D? Tim Erixon is the odd man out if the Rangers moved a D and that is assuming Sauer comes back healthy. The Rangers included him in the package for Rick Nash. DZ has established himself after a brutal sophomore year. DZ was the most vulnerable D heading into the season with the addition of Erixon. The Rangers are high on Erixon but it seems he is redundant on this team with emergence of McDonagh and Del Zotto.

Besides Girardi,the right side is a question mark. Sauer hasn't been seen or heard from since mid-January. Bickel is a group 6 UFA. Stralman runs hot or cold. Eminger is a journeyman player. McIlrath needs at least one full season in the AHL.

That's it.

The Rangers tried to find another D to add offense at the deadline. The need is there.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Why would the Rangers move the left side D? Tim Erixon is the odd man out if the Rangers moved a D and that is assuming Sauer comes back healthy. The Rangers included him in the package for Rick Nash. DZ has established himself after a brutal sophomore year. DZ was the most vulnerable D heading into the season with the addition of Erixon. The Rangers are high on Erixon but it seems he is redundant on this team with emergence of McDonagh and Del Zotto.

Besides Girardi,the right side is a question mark. Sauer hasn't been seen or heard from since mid-January. Bickel is a group 6 UFA. Stralman runs hot or cold. Eminger is a journeyman player. McIlrath needs at least one full season in the AHL.

That's it.

The Rangers tried to find another D to add offense at the deadline. The need is there.
Erixon I can part with but which of those aforementioned Left-handed D-men would you relegate to the 3rd pairing for next season?

Old
04-01-2012, 03:26 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:

So is Girardi.

If they all play like they're capable of thats the best defense the NHL has seen in decades, and I believe that is not at all a homerish thing to say, or an exaggeration.

You could potentially have 6 top-pairing defenseman on one team when it's all said and done. That's never been done before, not to mention that guy between the pipes.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:32 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Erixon I can part with but which of those aforementioned Left-handed D-men would you relegate to the 3rd pairing for next season?
You're overthinking this. It's a good problem to have. Schultz will probably need time in the AHL. None of Staal, McDonagh, Del Zotto, and Erixon are going anywhere. Del Zotto will play on the "third" pairing behind McDonagh and a 100% Staal, but he'll still get a ton of powerplay time. If Sauer's healthy the defense looks like this:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon

If we sign Schultz and he makes the team, then the defense will look like this:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Schultz/Erixon
Del Zotto-Erixon/Schultz

or

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz/Erixon
Del Zotto-Erixon/Schultz

Either way, Del Zotto can play the right side with McDonagh or Staal late in games until Torts fully trusts Erixon and Schultz.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

There is space on the right side if Schultz deserves it. That said he will likely go to a team where he is certain to crack the lineup than to a team where he might win the Cup or might not make it at all.

Old
04-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Graves94

I seriously doubt Schultz is guaranteed a spot with the Rangers to begin the season. If he wants to step into the NHL immediately, it won't be with us (unless he completely plays lights out and beats out someone in pre season). All our core defensenmen (except DZ) have begun their NYR careers in the minors. The jump is way to huge from the NCAA, especially for dmen. He will need to spend some time in the minors to learn the pro game.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
There is space on the right side if Schultz deserves it. That said he will likely go to a team where he is certain to crack the lineup than to a team where he might win the Cup or might not make it at all.
Don't be so sure about this. If I was in his shoes, I would be very confident of my ability and very interested in joining a team where the window for greatness is just opening. Do you realize how many years this team could be good for?

Old
04-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Has there been anything news about this?

This seems like a lot of discussion for a pipe dream to be honest. Besides for Derek and Ryan on the team there is nothing that says he wants to come here or we are even close to be a frontrunner for him.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:37 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Don't be so sure about this. If I was in his shoes, I would be very confident of my ability and very interested in joining a team where the window for greatness is just opening. Do you realize how many years this team could be good for?
You raise a really good point, Bob. I think a lot of fans underestimate the confidence most pro athletes have. We sit here as armchair GMs and say "well his odds would be about 15-20% higher if he goes to X instead", whereas Schultz probably thinks "yeah, I'm better than at least one of those guys - I can crack that squad."

I would also add that the presence of Stepan and McDonagh, not to mention the opportunity to play in NYC would be significant draws for him.

I'm not saying it's a done deal by any stretch of the imagination, but these things don't reported in articles like the one RB quoted above by accident. People with inside information are giving informed opinions based on their own personal interactions with the situation.

Old
04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgerfan View Post
Has there been anything news about this?

This seems like a lot of discussion for a pipe dream to be honest. Besides for Derek and Ryan on the team there is nothing that says he wants to come here or we are even close to be a frontrunner for him.
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch...tml?id=6392690

On the page previous to this one...

Old
04-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
He would be certain to crack the line up here. He'd be a better version of Stralman, hopefully. He's a puck moving defenseman. Those are vital to the success of an offense. Torts understands that, that's why he re-inserted Stralsy back into the lineup.

Odd man out would most certainly be Sauer. He's an injury risk and expendable with Schultz on the roster as well as an up and coming McIlrath.

Erixon isn't going anywhere. Reports have him becoming better than McDonough. More offense while maintaining a high level of defense.

Staal is not going anywhere. McDonough is not going anywhere. MDZ is not going anywhere. Girardi isn't going anywhere unless the organization feels his skills will decline soon as he's getting older. Then again this is arguably his best season as a Ranger so there is no indication of that.

Old
04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Until there's a bonafide top 6 defenseman sitting in the press box every night, there is no problem. Once that happens, I expect a trade will be made. Maybe two. Projecting a glut and having one are two different things.

And don't sell Sauer short. If he's healthy, he's here. Very underrated.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:14 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The issue with Sauer is the uncertainty of concussions. We know the problems Staal had. Crosby. It took Perron 12 months to return. Mueller missed almost 2 years. Sauer worked out 2 weeks after the concussion. Had a setback and was shut down. The Rangers decided to space out his workouts in January and he started feeling better after working out. Sauer skate for three days and was not feeling well again. The Rangers announced he was being shut down one week before the All Star break. The Rangers should consider it a bonus if Sauer is ready to participate in training camp.

Old
04-02-2012, 07:52 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
You're overthinking this. It's a good problem to have. Schultz will probably need time in the AHL. None of Staal, McDonagh, Del Zotto, and Erixon are going anywhere. Del Zotto will play on the "third" pairing behind McDonagh and a 100% Staal, but he'll still get a ton of powerplay time. If Sauer's healthy the defense looks like this:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Sauer
Del Zotto-Erixon

If we sign Schultz and he makes the team, then the defense will look like this:

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Schultz/Erixon
Del Zotto-Erixon/Schultz

or

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz/Erixon
Del Zotto-Erixon/Schultz

Either way, Del Zotto can play the right side with McDonagh or Staal late in games until Torts fully trusts Erixon and Schultz.
You are really sold that it going to be Staal and girardi next season...... NYR seems to have had a better season with McD and Girardi then they have Staal and Girardi..if its not broken,dont fix it..Why u so desperate to have staal back w9ith girardi.?

Old
04-02-2012, 07:55 AM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post

And don't sell Sauer short. If he's healthy, he's here. Very underrated.
Sauer is no where close to be under rated,by anyone..ranger fan or non ranger fan...on his game he is my favorite NYR D-man.... he went 2nd round for this exact reason,hes prone to injury.

Old
04-02-2012, 08:35 AM
NYR Viper

They should sign him if they can for sure. They have the space to play him AND Erixon who people are underrating on this board. MDZ, in his time in the AHL, did not put up the points Erixon has. Offensively he is smooth and calculating and thinks the game at a VERY high level. He also plays the right side if needed. Same as MDZ.

MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Schultz
Staal-Erixon
Bickel

Old
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
They should sign him if they can for sure. They have the space to play him AND Erixon who people are underrating on this board. MDZ, in his time in the AHL, did not put up the points Erixon has. Offensively he is smooth and calculating and thinks the game at a VERY high level. He also plays the right side if needed. Same as MDZ.

MDZ-Girardi
McDonagh-Schultz
Staal-Erixon
Bickel
McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Schultz
MDZ-Erixon
Bickel/Big Mac, Strålman

There you go

Closed Thread