HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Champions style league

Old
11-14-2011, 01:58 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

vCash: 500
Champions style league

Now I know this is a pipe dream, and would never happen because the NHL and Gary Bettman doesn't give a **** about the IIHF (which is sad because it is bad for the game), but I think it would be cool to see a two or three week tournament at the end of the season with champions from the biggest leagues in the world. I don't know much about European hockey, but if I am not mistaken most of the leagues other than the KHL have teams only in one country right?? So if that were true I would suggest that the champions from the best leagues (again I don't know much about European hockey, but I think that a lot of these leagues are closer to the NHL than North Americans think) the Stanley Cup winner (and the best team from the country that didn't win the cup (last year wold have been Vancouver) so that both Canada and the US have a team). This way we could see all the years best teams play, and there would be national pride riding for the fans.
I think it would be especially cool if we had all the big international tourneys once every four years, because it would raise the prestige of them a lot (especially the World Championship in NA)
ex
2014: Olympics
2015: Champions Tournament
2016: World Cup
2017: World Championships

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 05:26 PM
Thesensation19

World Cup of Hockey happens every year...

And yes I agreee. I think the Hockey world should be more like the Futbol world.

A common interest for domestic and international championships.

I would want to see a shortened NHL season and replaced by international tournaments or more tournaments in general.

82 games is a lot.
With hockey rosters expanding each day and the competition increasing, this is popular. Its the duty of each team to decide what is more important to go after. Offer teams money in prizes, host arena gets revenue. So why not do it for money

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 08:52 PM
Jonimaus

The only reason Champions League can excist is because it's as, or even more prestigious to win than the domestic league, and thus, players try to the max in the tournament.

If a hockey champions league would excist, it would have to be as important, the players need to care about it.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 06:36 AM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
If a hockey champions league would excist, it would have to be as important, the players need to care about it.
Whatever the players feel towards it is frankly irrelevant. No, the FANS need to care about it. A Champions League of hockey has been tried several times, and unfortunately also the last attempt has failed. I loved the Champions Hockey League, but that's because I'm a certified hockeynut who is interested about hockey globally, not just my own team. I'm an anomaly in European hockey.

9 out of 10 Frolunda-fans don't give two ***** about a game of Frolunda vs. Metallurg Magnitogorsk, they want to see local rivalries vs. other Swedish teams. And this goes for pretty much all of Europe, I was just using Sweden as an example. And if you can't get the fans behind it, you can't get the teams behind it either.

The Champions Hockey League *could* work because for the first time, such a tournament was funded well enough. Unfortunately, after one season the financial backing fell away, closing down an otherwise great idea.

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
Whatever the players feel towards it is frankly irrelevant. No, the FANS need to care about it. A Champions League of hockey has been tried several times, and unfortunately also the last attempt has failed. I loved the Champions Hockey League, but that's because I'm a certified hockeynut who is interested about hockey globally, not just my own team. I'm an anomaly in European hockey.

9 out of 10 Frolunda-fans don't give two ***** about a game of Frolunda vs. Metallurg Magnitogorsk, they want to see local rivalries vs. other Swedish teams. And this goes for pretty much all of Europe, I was just using Sweden as an example. And if you can't get the fans behind it, you can't get the teams behind it either.

The Champions Hockey League *could* work because for the first time, such a tournament was funded well enough. Unfortunately, after one season the financial backing fell away, closing down an otherwise great idea.
Quit reading here since it's so very wrong.

A tournament can never become anything if the players don't give it their absolute all. In football, players can skip league games to be fresh for Champions league.

Why should the fans care about a tournament where players are playing at 50%, avoiding contact or anything?

Old
02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Ro Herregraven
Dutch hockey nut

Quote:
Quit reading here since it's so very wrong.

A tournament can never become anything if the players don't give it their absolute all. In football, players can skip league games to be fresh for Champions league.

Why should the fans care about a tournament where players are playing at 50%, avoiding contact or anything?
I don't think team owners would accept such an attitude from their players in such a tournament, so I wouldn't worry about that too much. We're not talking about a friendly tournament, or a tournament between nations. We're talking teams, and players that are paid to play their best for those teams.

Ro Herregraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2012, 03:29 PM
torero

A big difference between european soccer (i know it therefore i can talk about it) and hockey is that in hockey, the players make the most money, with little to compare it their national championship ... unlike soccer where the biggest money (in most championships) comes from the UEFA.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Latgale_fan

There's just no history like in soccer for international hockey tournaments. In soccer/football there's a long history of rivalries between not only clubs but countries, like Germany and England and France etc. and big clubs, they've played each other for decades, the top clubs from big countries. The same goes for basketball too. While in hockey it just doesn't exist.

But it should not be hard to create a rivalry, only if you put a real effort into into and played few years against the same opponent. One other things that prevents it from happening is just the fact that the hockey markets in Europe are small and/or weak.... except for Germany and Russia they are small and in German case hockey is not like the most popular sport and in Russia's case country's economy is not as big and it also loses to football.

Therefore imho if we ever want to see a real competition to NHL in Europe, it's going KHL way. Either if joining KHL or Western European teams creating their own big European NHL-like league....

Latgale_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Thesensation19

all in all... i think it would be fun to watch the differ cultures and styles of hockey play against one another by club.

I think some euro teams will give the NHL teams a run for the money.

I think if you allow it to be hosted in North America venues, give money to the winning team this can happen. Also each team does not need to have their full 20 man NHL squad. If certain superstars do not want to participate, have prospects come up and take their spot. It gives them a chance to evaluate their prospects at a high level along w their team structure. Also gives players a chance to get ready for the season during the summer.

I mean look at the KHL teams as well...
You got a lot of superstars who could be in the NHL but chose to be in the KHL and homeland.

Old
03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Thesensation19

European Hockey is actually growing very well in its popularity, especially in the last decade. In fact I heard on several occasions and with some research I see this being true... but Hockey is the #2 popular sport in all of Europe (far behind soccer). I think its partially because of countries like Sweden/Finland/Russia/Czech which have hockey as its top 3 and because the large crowds their pro teams can obtain all season in comparison with sports like basketball or handball. Regardless, hockey is growing in Europe.

I truly believe from top to bottom, the NHL is the most competitive league in the world by far. That does not mean the top teams in leagues like Chech Extraliga, Swedish Premier or Kontinental Hockey League cannot compete against most NHL teams. Look at the off-season exhibition games, there are many euro teams that give the NHL a run for their money.

- You can say that the NHL was not trying
-You can say that the NHL teams did not have their best players
- You can say lucky...

I say, of course the NHL teams were trying. They do not want to be embarrassed, some of these exhibition games have prize money for the winning roster like a big bonus. And I do not judge any team based on their starting or star players, I judge them on their full on roster and for the NHL i include their reserves, who of course are trying because that have to impress their coaches. Nonetheless, I guarantee everyone that the NHL would be shocked to see the level at which these elite euro teams are at now.

This type of tournament is VERY possible, just needs the right guy to work things. Same way how hockey use to have Eagleson, who helped create the summit series and the super series among other things.

The fairest way would be a 16-team tournament.

4 NHL teams (2 USA, 2 Canada)
4 KHL teams
2 Swe teams
2 Fin teams

3 teams depend on a european bracket between the best German, Swiss, Czech and Slovakian teams
1 the team that wins the highest European honor... Right now it seems like its the Continental Cup (Dragon en Route of France won)

The hosts will be an NHL team. Allowing the owners to be happy with getting revenue and publicity. The NHL will be okay as they too will gain publicity, revenue and help hockey growth.

Players- Prize money for final four rankings of tourny should spark interest from some of the best NHL talent who may not be willing. For any vacant spots or in general, this can be open for prospects and draftees or reserve players. Just like an exhibition game. The same way those players give it all on the ice to prove to their coaches they deserve a spot.

Sweet 16 bracket all the way to the final game.

I want to see whose the best team in the world, I also want to see what Euro teams can compete

Old
04-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Partagas

The fairest way would be a 16-team tournament.

4 NHL teams (2 USA, 2 Canada)
4 KHL teams
2 Swe teams
2 Fin teams

3 teams depend on a european bracket between the best German, Swiss, Czech and Slovakian teams
1 the team that wins the highest European honor... Right now it seems like its the Continental Cup (Dragon en Route of France won)

So one or no swiss teams ?
Do you know that only the swiss teams have defeated NHL teams ? ZCS Lions won Victoriacup vs Chicago Blackhawks and Zug defeated New York Rangers (with full roster) some months ago.

Partagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Purple hippo

I dont see why you wouldnt give the Swiss atleast a club and no way should the Continental Cup Champions be given a spot. The big countries and clubs dont care about that tournament or take part, only the smaller countries leagues take part, Rouen would be destroyed in every match.

I dont know where you got your stats, but no, the Swiss are not the only league to defeat the NHL.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...ro-record.html

Purple hippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Sanfords*

Send a message via ICQ to Sanfords*
~~~~~~~~

Your comments are very appreciated

Sanfords* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Thesensation19

I based off the amount of teams from league rankings.
I took it off 2 years ago when the proposed idea for the Euro Champions league was announced.

The IIHF should rank each European nation. The NHL and KHL should have 3 teams each. So none of the final 4 would be an entire league.

Thats 6, and then 10 more teams should be included. Sweden, Finland, Czech, Swiss, Germany, Slovakia are the top 7 counties behind the KHL. Split the rankings into Tier classes, so the 2nd 3rd and 4th ranked Euro leagues are allowed 2 teams each. The 5 6 and 7 ranked teams are allowed 1 each. That makes now for 15 total teams.

I would think 16 total teams would be enough for the first league. Short and simple. So that leaves room for one more. The Continental Cup is the #1 tournament right now in Europe until the Euro Championship is developed. So I think the team that wins that should make that final spot.

16 teams now, create a bracket of 4 regions. 3 NHL teams should host each region. The final region could be another N. American city or a Russian city.

The NHL should send over 2 American teams, 2 Canadian teams. All other leagues should be dependent on sending over their championship or best team.

The NHL could send over any 4 but the final game should be like in a neutral site either toronto or Montreal I prefer Toronto cuz its a bigger market of all media in Canada and still a hockey mecca

Old
07-17-2012, 01:29 AM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenskaRiga View Post
I dont see why you wouldnt give the Swiss atleast a club and no way should the Continental Cup Champions be given a spot. The big countries and clubs dont care about that tournament or take part, only the smaller countries leagues take part, Rouen would be destroyed in every match.

I dont know where you got your stats, but no, the Swiss are not the only league to defeat the NHL.
http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...ro-record.html
I say each big 7 should be guaranteed a team, and there should be a playoff for second tear countries (Switzerland, Germany, Belarus, Latvia, and over the past couple years maybe Norway, in my opinion) they could take 2 or 3 spots, and there could be a couple spots for teams from other leagues

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Jonimaus

I'm going to write what I've written before: The reason Champions league in football is so successful is because it's a tournament for the best teams in the world, and thus the best quality football in the world is played there.

Hockey does not need that, because all the best teams (except maybe 1 or 2 KHL teams) already plays in the same league.

The only way a team from Sweden or Finland for example could win would be if NHL sends their worst team and they play like they don't care.

Old
07-17-2012, 11:34 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

If we want European league with best clubs from all Europe, we need to have similar budget for players salaries. It is not possible to compete with clubs which have so much bigger budget. Can swedish, finnish, suiss etc clubs have budget like KHL clubs? I say slovak and many czech clubs can not.

Quote:
В частности, границы «потолка зарплат» в Континентальной хоккейной лиге в будущем сезоне составят 250 миллионов рублей и 1,1 миллиарда рублей.
Salary cap for next season is 250 000 000 - 1 100 000 000 rubles (cca 7,7 mio - 34 mio USD),

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:29 AM
wings5

Quote:
I'm going to write what I've written before: The reason Champions league in football is so successful is because it's a tournament for the best teams in the world, and thus the best quality football in the world is played there.

Hockey does not need that, because all the best teams (except maybe 1 or 2 KHL teams) already plays in the same league.

The only way a team from Sweden or Finland for example could win would be if NHL sends their worst team and they play like they don't care.
Champions league only includes europe, certainly some clubs from Brazil and Argentina can challenge those teams.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Champions league only includes europe, certainly some clubs from Brazil and Argentina can challenge those teams.
Some KHL teams can probably challenge NHL teams. Still the best hockey players from Russia don't play in the KHL but in the NHL, just like in football the best players from Brazil and Argentina don't play in South America but in Europe.

South America : Europe (in Football) = KHL/Europe : NHL

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me. The best teams from Argentina and Brazil would get CRUSHED. They are not even playing in the same division.

It's not like NHL and KHL, the money in football is in Europe, all the best players are playing in Europe. Guess what happens when there is a young excellent player in Brazil or whatever, he moves to Europe.

It's more like NHL and the SEL, the SEL is a pretty good hockey league, but they can't put up anything against any NHL club, and the only way a SEL team could win a game is if the NHL team doesn't care.

Last edited by Jonimaus: 07-19-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me. The best teams from Argentina and Brazil would get CRUSHED. They are not even playing in the same division.
That's an exaggeration. Take a look at the results of the Intercontinental Cup and Club World Cup. The Europeans clearly have the edge since 1995, but the games are usually rather close. Santos getting crushed by Barcelona last year is a rare example.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
That's an exaggeration. Take a look at the results of the Intercontinental Cup and Club World Cup. The Europeans clearly have the edge since 1995, but the games are usually rather close. Santos getting crushed by Barcelona last year is a rare example.
The cup world cup is something extremly minor in europe. It happens often the euro clubs don't even field their A-team. If the euro clubs played like it's champions league, they would crush the other teams 9/10.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
wings5

Quote:

It's not like NHL and KHL, the money in football is in Europe, all the best players are playing in Europe. Guess what happens when there is a young excellent player in Brazil or whatever, he moves to Europe.

It's more like NHL and the SEL, the SEL is a pretty good hockey league, but they can't put up anything against any NHL club, and the only way a SEL team could win a game is if the NHL team doesn't care.
Maybe you have the top tier teams in mind, I was speaking more of clubs like Basel and Copenhagen, the lower tier teams that make the competition but can easily be replaced by these top clubs across other continents.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Maybe you have the top tier teams in mind, I was speaking more of clubs like Basel and Copenhagen, the lower tier teams that make the competition but can easily be replaced by these top clubs across other continents.
Ah, well I figured you ment they would be able to compete with the top tier. Then yes you are right, but the lower tier clubs are rarely consistent participaters (spelling) in champions league. But the top clubs from argentina and brazil would most likely be able to squeeze in.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
The cup world cup is something extremly minor in europe. It happens often the euro clubs don't even field their A-team. If the euro clubs played like it's champions league, they would crush the other teams 9/10.
Liverpool did field the A-team in 2005. 0-1 against São Paulo.
Barcelona did field the A-team in 2006. 0-1 against Internacional Porto Alegre.
Manchester did field the A-team in 2008. 1-0 against Quito, close score.
Barcelona did field the A-team (Iniesta was injured) in 2009. 2-1 after extra time against Boca Juniors, close score.