HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Atlanta?

Old
07-28-2011, 12:46 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the hockey gods have View Post
they should move 1 of those armpit teams from the East to Atlanta. Well come to think of it Atlanta didn't draw flies but neither do some of the teams in the East
Rochester or Albany would be one of my favorites at the moment, but for now both are NHL owned so thats off the table really.

Sports Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:26 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Rochester or Albany would be one of my favorites at the moment, but for now both are NHL owned so thats off the table really.
As long as the Atlanta Spirit Group own Phillips Arena, hockey is dead in Atlanta. They did not want the Thrashers. If anyone thinks that they will take let an American Hockey League sign a lease, I have a bridge for sale.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 01:29 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jet View Post
As long as the Atlanta Spirit Group own Phillips Arena, hockey is dead in Atlanta. They did not want the Thrashers. If anyone thinks that they will take let an American Hockey League sign a lease, I have a bridge for sale.
They have a new 11,500 seat arena a half hour northeast of Atlanta.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:35 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Then there is hope. Atlanta is the 9th largest Metropolitan Statistical Area in the United States. The Arena at Gwinnett Center would be the 13th largest AHL arena. It was built in 2003. From what Iíve been told, Phillips Arena suffered from some very basic problems, such as restrooms. The hockey support base has taken a hit, but Atlanta is still a huge city, and it appears that Arena at Gwinnett Center would work well for the AHL. All they need is someone interested in bringing the AHL to Atlanta. The Predators have been affiliated with the Milwaukee Admirals since 1998, and are signed up until 2011-12, with an option for 2012-13. Perhaps St. Louis or Tampa Bay might be interested in moving their affiliate at some point.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Said it before, i'll say it again...

I just don't think a team called "Atlanta" will work in Gwinnett. The traffic is terrible in that area and it's not even the same county. It might get some support from Gwinnetters but I can't imagine many from Atlanta making the trek on a regular basis.

13th biggest arena in the league? Aside from those playing in NBA arenas i've come to the conclusion now that teams in this league play in too big of arenas for the minor league level.

Old
07-28-2011, 01:51 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
and if the Admirals leave Milwaukee and the Bucks remain? PASS

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 02:25 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Said it before, i'll say it again...

I just don't think a team called "Atlanta" will work in Gwinnett. The traffic is terrible in that area and it's not even the same county. It might get some support from Gwinnetters but I can't imagine many from Atlanta making the trek on a regular basis.

13th biggest arena in the league? Aside from those playing in NBA arenas i've come to the conclusion now that teams in this league play in too big of arenas for the minor league level.
and the league is full right now.... Once Edmonton finally settled on Prodigal/OKC.... IT HAS ended the annual need/speculation of dormant franchises....

this isn't a decade ago when the IHL was around in its ending stage and this economy sn't helping any league/members.....

Old
07-28-2011, 07:23 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
and if the Admirals leave Milwaukee and the Bucks remain? PASS
I don't understand your post Hutch.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 10:22 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
Thank god i'm not the only one here. PASS on what?

Old
07-28-2011, 11:26 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
PASS on what?
Grass

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Grass

Really couldn't help but laugh at that comment, won't say what i'm thinking.

Old
07-29-2011, 04:16 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
rhe only way Atlanta gets a franchise is for an existing market to lose it.... why Milwaukee?

Old
07-30-2011, 01:20 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
rhe only way Atlanta gets a franchise is for an existing market to lose it.... why Milwaukee?
Yeah....?

Nobody mentioned the Admirals leaving Milwaukee, except for you and I have no idea how talk about an arena in Gwinnett, GA came to that.

Old
07-30-2011, 02:00 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Yeah....?

Nobody mentioned the Admirals leaving Milwaukee, except for you and I have no idea how talk about an arena in Gwinnett, GA came to that.
because you seem to not understand that's the game we're playing....Gwinnett or any other market has to do what Charlotte did to gain entry, otherwise it's a non-starter

Old
07-30-2011, 02:43 PM
topchedda

Quote:
because you seem to not understand that's the game we're playing....Gwinnett or any other market has to do what Charlotte did to gain entry, otherwise it's a non-starter
Someone please kill this thread. There are two arenas in the metro Atlanta market-Philips and Gwinnett. I agree with the poster that as long as the ASG has anything to do with Philips, there will be no hockey.

As for Gwinnett-they have just renewed their lease for three years with an option to renew. As great as the area is, it is still affected by the economy - and an AHL team will not work there.

Why? AHL franchise cost more, the travel will be air vs. bus, i.e., higher, player cost higher and the market will not accept an increase in ticket cost to cover these increases. Add to that lack of sponsorship opportunities - companies in Atlanta will support Atlanta based team, i.e. the Braves, Falcons and Hawks.....not an AHL team in Gwinnett. Case in point - the AFL Georgia Force...their move from Philips to Gwinnett...not a good response = not a money maker.

topchedda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 02:54 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Old
07-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchedda View Post
Someone please kill this thread. There are two arenas in the metro Atlanta market-Philips and Gwinnett. I agree with the poster that as long as the ASG has anything to do with Philips, there will be no hockey.

As for Gwinnett-they have just renewed their lease for three years with an option to renew. As great as the area is, it is still affected by the economy - and an AHL team will not work there.

Why? AHL franchise cost more, the travel will be air vs. bus, i.e., higher, player cost higher and the market will not accept an increase in ticket cost to cover these increases. Add to that lack of sponsorship opportunities - companies in Atlanta will support Atlanta based team, i.e. the Braves, Falcons and Hawks.....not an AHL team in Gwinnett. Case in point - the AFL Georgia Force...their move from Philips to Gwinnett...not a good response = not a money maker.
Well, it's not like the ECHL Gladiators have any real short bus trips, maybe Greenville now but before that everything was far away.

In the ECHL you generally field your own. In the AHL most of it is done by the NHL team if i'm not mistaken, so i'm not sure how much more a roster is. Also i'm not sure how being NHL owned works, but it's another possibility for an AHL Franchise. Granted I doubt that would happen with no NHL team in Atlanta

Old
07-30-2011, 10:05 PM
axecrew

Quote:
Don't worry.....neither does he.

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by axecrew View Post
Don't worry.....neither does he.

Your so hard on your buddy Hutch, axecrew.

But none of us understood that post of his.

Old
08-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Whiskers06

Either thats a nice form of sarcasm or you are talking about the Juniors Memorial Cup?

Hey there GMR, the Seattle Metropolitians were actually the first American team to win the Stanley Cup back in the 1916-1917 season. So why not get a team back in Seattle where there has been a team that has won a Stanley Cup????? If we are granted a team, then you will see an arena come into the works!

Whiskers06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Sports Enthusiast
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers06 View Post
Either thats a nice form of sarcasm or you are talking about the Juniors Memorial Cup?

Hey there GMR, the Seattle Metropolitians were actually the first American team to win the Stanley Cup back in the 1916-1917 season. So why not get a team back in Seattle where there has been a team that has won a Stanley Cup????? If we are granted a team, then you will see an arena come into the works!
What happened to this Oeriginal 6 then? For a long time it was just 6 teams and they still are all in tact today.

Old
08-06-2011, 11:59 PM
adsfan

Quote:
What happened to this Oeriginal 6 then? For a long time it was just 6 teams and they still are all in tact today.
The Original Six are the survivors from 1942 to 1967. There were other teams that folded like the original Ottawa Senators, who won 4 Stanley Cups. Other cup winners from 1917 included Seattle, Toronto Arenas, Victoria Cougars and the Montreal Maroons. Other old teams were the NY Americans, Toronto Blueshirts, Quebec Bulldogs and the Vancouver Millionaires, plus a few others.

The Boston Bruins and the NY Rangers didn't join until 1926, the same year the Stanley Cup became the trophy exclusively for the NHL. The NY Americans were playing a year before the Bruins and Rangers joined. When the Americans went under after the 1942 season, the O6 era began.

Old
04-01-2012, 06:23 PM
MrCleveland

Since The Thrashers DID move to Winnipeg, I do believe that Atlanta may get an AHL or ECHL Team...but then again...Quebec City is trying to have a team in those leagues.

MrCleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:03 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post
Since The Thrashers DID move to Winnipeg, I do believe that Atlanta may get an AHL or ECHL Team...but then again...Quebec City is trying to have a team in those leagues.
Milwaukee and Nashville extended for 2 more years with a mutual option for a third. Any Atlanta AHL team will not be coming from Milwaukee, until 2015-16 or later.

Old
04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCleveland View Post
Suburban Atlanta HAS an ECHL team, and has for about five years, maybe more. They finished second in the Eastern Conference this year and won their division.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote