HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Salo

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-17-2003, 10:27 AM
  #26
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
There are 9 guys on that page currently making more than Tommy, all of the ones on poor teams are struggling, Joseph has had his share of troubles playing for Detroit.
That would be 10 (if you look closely) goalies who earn more than Salo and if you exclude Roman Turek (4,3M$) and Curtis Joseph (8,0M$) that would only be 8 active puck stoppers in the NHL make more than Tommy. Excluded because one is injured and the other has the Dead Man Walking contract. My point is that 30 - 9 = 21 netminders that are NHL starters make a whole lot less than our #1 guy. Quality play in goal is always rewarded after the fact with bigger contracts. So I don't think Salo is done but we the fans can and do have the right the expect top ten quailty tending from Tommy. I think he will respond and we need two good players defending the net anyway.

Right now MacT would be nuts not to ride the hot horse and enjoy the ride. However, Tommy is not going anywhere and as soon as Conklin faulters Salo gets to try and earn his big paycheque again. I want both goalies healthy and hot the whole year and for the playoffs especially. What so bad about having the luxury of depth!! P.S. hit those links they are interesting, inasmuch, as they give a history of base salary wages earned ... oops I really mean paid ... as Kiefer would say in his Ford voice - that's a total rethink on the word used. Cujo is stinking rich!

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 10:54 AM
  #27
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
What so bad about having the luxury of depth!!
I thought that as a small market team we couldn't afford luxury. I thought we were into prudent financial management.

 
Old
11-17-2003, 10:58 AM
  #28
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
I thought that as a small market team we couldn't afford luxury. I thought we were into prudent financial management.
The money is already spent, why not enjoy the luxury.

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 03:44 PM
  #29
Allan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: United Nations
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Last year the Oilers bought out Dopita. If we can't trade Salo because of his salary can we buy him out? Anyone know for how much?
I think the standard for a buyout is 2/3 of the contract.

Allan is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 05:57 PM
  #30
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
That would be 10 (if you look closely) goalies who earn more than Salo and if you exclude Roman Turek (4,3M$) and Curtis Joseph (8,0M$) that would only be 8 active puck stoppers in the NHL make more than Tommy. Excluded because one is injured and the other has the Dead Man Walking contract. My point is that 30 - 9 = 21 netminders that are NHL starters make a whole lot less than our #1 guy. Quality play in goal is always rewarded after the fact with bigger contracts. So I don't think Salo is done but we the fans can and do have the right the expect top ten quailty tending from Tommy. I think he will respond and we need two good players defending the net anyway.

Right now MacT would be nuts not to ride the hot horse and enjoy the ride. However, Tommy is not going anywhere and as soon as Conklin faulters Salo gets to try and earn his big paycheque again. I want both goalies healthy and hot the whole year and for the playoffs especially. What so bad about having the luxury of depth!! P.S. hit those links they are interesting, inasmuch, as they give a history of base salary wages earned ... oops I really mean paid ... as Kiefer would say in his Ford voice - that's a total rethink on the word used. Cujo is stinking rich!
I think that Roy was listed on there, I never counted him, are you sure it was 10?

Anyways that's beside the point. Salo has been very shakey and his stats reflect a lot of his own shortcomings to this point in the season, but in his current slump and at his current salary he's not likely to be traded or bought out. He'll get an opportunity to win back the starting role at some point in the season, even if only to regain some trade value, I'm just hoping that the fans here give the guy a chance.


When I mentioned Salo being expected to carry the team I was referring more to the unrealistic expectations placed on him in last season's playoffs. He was the by far the better of the two goalies at stopping the puck and the fans here still demonized him. Turco's only saving grace was his ability to play the puck and if not for that he would probably have sat on the bench.

Bottom line - if Salo is traded or bought out right now I can't say that I'd be mortified, he may just have sealed his own fate, I just can't see either scenario as a possibilty right now.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:07 PM
  #31
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I think that Roy was listed on there, I never counted him, are you sure it was 10?
Count again and go to the bottom of the page.

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:40 PM
  #32
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Count again and go to the bottom of the page.
Ahhhhh Turek. So Salo is eleventh, he should be in the 2nd third of the pack. A hot streak could get him there but I'm not holding my breath.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:40 PM
  #33
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I think the standard for a buyout is 2/3 of the contract.
That's assuming he accepts the buyout (look at Irbe)...

And the Oilers can't afford a $3mil buyout, that is just insane.

dawgbone is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 06:51 PM
  #34
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Ahhhhh Turek. So Salo is eleventh, he should be in the 2nd third of the pack. A hot streak could get him there but I'm not holding my breath.
Hey Oi'll say!, both you and I are talking the same turkey here so what's up with the stuffing? I think Tommy is a little over-paid and not performing up to snuff but I'm willing to cut him some slack because he has earned it. Do you disagree?

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:11 PM
  #35
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
Hey Oi'll say!, both you and I are talking the same turkey here so what's up with the stuffing? I think Tommy is a little over-paid and not performing up to snuff but I'm willing to cut him some slack because he has earned it. Do you disagree?
I think I'm happy enough with MacT giving Ty a chance to take over the number one spot in a ten or so game tryout here, Salo should get a road trip or something to try and wrestle it back even if Ty is successful.

This has to be sorted out post-haste though. We're on the verge of a full-blown goalie crisis right now that could make the Oates signing look like re-organizing the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 07:38 PM
  #36
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I think I'm happy enough with MacT giving Ty a chance to take over the number one spot in a ten or so game tryout here, Salo should get a road trip or something to try and wrestle it back even if Ty is successful.

This has to be sorted out post-haste though. We're on the verge of a full-blown goalie crisis right now that could make the Oates signing look like re-organizing the deck chairs on the Titanic.
Hey Tommy comes back from injury and continues to suck, then we have an extremely highly paid Back-up. No other GM will pay Edmonton big-time to solve there goaltending problem! Next year if Tommy doesn't shape-up he ships out and sucks in the Swedish Elite league. Can you say Ingamar Iceburg!

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-17-2003, 08:02 PM
  #37
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
That's assuming he accepts the buyout (look at Irbe)...

And the Oilers can't afford a $3mil buyout, that is just insane.
The only thing more insane could be paying him $3.9M. Good money after bad.

Or maybe he comes back and plays great.

Added: or maybe this helps pay for Oates

 
Old
11-17-2003, 08:14 PM
  #38
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
The only thing more insane could be paying him $3.9M. Good money after bad.

Or maybe he comes back and plays great.

Added: or maybe this helps pay for Oates
ZIM, buyouts are at the discretion of the player to be bought out and have a minimum in the current CBA. Tommy can sit it out and get paid handsomely, so I say let's all jump on the pre-paid Tommy Train and ride it for as long as we must. :p

OYLer is offline  
Old
11-18-2003, 04:06 AM
  #39
ZIM
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
ZIM, buyouts are at the discretion of the player to be bought out and have a minimum in the current CBA. Tommy can sit it out and get paid handsomely, so I say let's all jump on the pre-paid Tommy Train and ride it for as long as we must. :p
As was suggested previously the Oilers can terminate Salo's contact for 2/3. The information is contained in the Standard Players Contract Section 13 (d) (ii) wherein it states

"(ii) if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the
time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the
total fixed amount of the Player's league salary, as set forth in
Section 1, for the unexpired fixed-term and option year of this
Contract, reduced by any advance payment of salary received by
the Player prior to the date the termination is effective."

You may view the Standard Player's Contract here or you may view the CBA including Exhibit I the Standard Player's Contract here

 
Old
11-18-2003, 08:52 AM
  #40
OYLer
Registered User
 
OYLer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Win Desperate & Mad!
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
As was suggested previously the Oilers can terminate Salo's contact for 2/3. The information is contained in the Standard Players Contract Section 13 (d) (ii) wherein it states

"(ii) if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the
time the termination is effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the
total fixed amount of the Player's league salary, as set forth in
Section 1, for the unexpired fixed-term and option year of this
Contract, reduced by any advance payment of salary received by
the Player prior to the date the termination is effective."

You may view the Standard Player's Contract here or you may view the CBA including Exhibit I the Standard Player's Contract here
I to a resourcefully epeed hit and surrender my sword. doh,

OYLer is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.