HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Predictions?

Closed Thread

Old
02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Kvasha is a player absolutely on the clock the next few games, I suspect his time here ends unless he contributes to a winning streak and gives them a reason to think he is worth more as an Islander rental the rest of the way than a return of something else.

Kvasha has more talent and ability than two thirds of the current team, no one on this roster has the natural ability (aside from maybe Satan) to score the two goals he scored against Kolzig recently and he's done a good job as a penalty killer the last two seasons. He also won the Chicago game in overtime.

Also he's one of the biggest reasons this team went to the playoffs with his fifty points bunched in the second half of 03-04 and he did score in game five vs Tampa.

Teams will be interested in him if it's time for him to go at the deadline (I suspect as a rental he has value to someone) and in the right circumstances may just contribute for them. I also suspect his interest/return will go hand in hand with his play.

Last edited by NYIsles1*: 02-20-2006 at 05:23 PM.
Old
02-20-2006, 07:10 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Carlson
See, I disagree here. In my opinion, trading guys like Parrish, Kvasha, Bates who are UFA's and might leave (should leave?) makes a statement of "We want to start getting better NOW" instead of letting them walk for nothing during the offseason. Just b/c you are selling off parts, it doesn't mean that it is not in the best interests of the team.

And I don't think that the Mets improving themselves has ANYTHING to do with this. It isn't like they want to move the Mets to Nassau. They want to put a minor league franchise there (which, btw, I believe would have to be approved by Big Stein over in the Bronx as part of MLB's territorial rights).
Trading those players isn't not necessarily making such a statement because many people view the problem as those players that are immovable.

Killer, also you are misquoting me with the bolded sentence above. I selectively chose my words and selectively did not say in the best interests of NYI, rather in the best interests of Wang. Huge difference. The Coliseum has a ton more value and future revenue to Wang than the Isles ever will. That is fact. However, NYI are a vehicle and a factor in his development bid.

Would he sacrifice some $ in retaining those salaries and potential future help in return players/picks to give NYI their best shot of making the playoffs and winning? IMO, at this stage of the selection, I would say yes. Again, if NYI stink it up after Turin, then NYI has every reason to sell because the team has created an (i don't want to use the word, but i will) "excuse" to sell. It is much easier to say hey, "we bombed, we are 8-10 points out, that's too much to make ground. We'll focus on improving the team now with flexibility and putting the framework/cap space in the best position for the new GM." Absent such play, Wang, as he recently publicly said, that he believes in the team and they are within shot of making the playoffs.

From the deadline point on, this market is going to be making a major shift towards baseball. Like it or not. Remember the WBC starts mid-March (which is going to be a HUGE bust IMO), but then you hit April.

I don't know when Nassau makes the final selection, but it is in Wang's best interests to keep NYI winning/challenging for the playoffs during this time. Although this ship does need to be stripped, I have a hard time believing Wang would intentionally make such a move in a market that is going to say "Here we go again..."

And, no the Mets are not trying to bring anything other than a minor league stadium. Their bid w/the stadium is an emotional bid. There is more emotion with the Mets than there is with the Isles. Actually, the Mets bid is pretty bad. I support Wang's bid, not because I'm an Islanders fan, but because I see what his vision is, know the market he is trying to reach, making something ungeneric about generic LI building projects, and it's a nice blend of mixed used.

Old
02-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

If you were Wang, would you rather stay competitive for the rest of the season AND likely miss the playoffs. Or, would you rather begin to build a team that will be young and competitive when the county finally cuts all the red tape and gives you the hub?

Old
02-20-2006, 07:33 PM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
If you were Wang, would you rather stay competitive for the rest of the season AND likely miss the playoffs. Or, would you rather begin to build a team that will be young and competitive when the county finally cuts all the red tape and gives you the hub?
I would bring the sushi girl back to the Coliseum...

Most of the players talked about here are not impact players that NYI can win or lose without them. Technically, they are not dumping high salaried players either. Bates, of all players, is the only one with some form of identity attachment b/c of the penalty shot. What memorable moment does Parrish, Kvasha, etc. have? Key contributions to this season to further making the playoffs?

I think thus far the fans have seen some very good performances from BST as well and would not mind seeing them finish out the season over the likes of Kvasha & Co.

Trading Parrish would be simple because NYI can basically say, hey he is an impending UFA, we couldn't come to an agreement on an extension, we wanted to get some value for a player that we did not know whether he would resign. The value is more important long term as we move towards reshaping the roster in the offseason with our new GM, etc... The problem still remains that fans have issues with those players that remain and, beyond Kvasha, not the ones departing.

If NYI need to sell, then let MM do it. He has been a good seller in previous years when he made moves for the sole benefit of cutting payroll, collecting draft picks, and offseason flexibility.

Old
02-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Isles72

we play the habs -who are currently in 8th seed in our first game back after the break .I suspect it will be the result of this game that will lend to a clearer picture as to what road the isles may take at the deadline .

I like Parrish alot and would like to see him stick around for 2.5 per season -but nothing more . If the isles make him an offer before the deadline in that dollar value neighbourhood and he balks -then I'd try to milk the stone at the deadline from teams looking to add him .

Sopel for a pick of some sort (4th )could happen as well

Kvasha for T Arnason

Old
02-20-2006, 07:41 PM
NYIsles1*

Charles Wang to this point has not run the Islanders with any other intenton than the product on the ice and trying to win, at best this is a peripheral sidebar.

I do not think Nassau county cares one bit whether the team on the ice is winning one way or another (or about thirty years and four cups) nor will a single hockey transaction be made with that in mind on March 9th.

Whatever is done at the deadline will only be done with the best on-ice hockey intentions in mind whether it be for the remainder of 05-06 or the years ahead, no more and no less.

Old
02-20-2006, 07:48 PM
crashthenet

I think Parrish goes, the only question is where. IMO he is too expensive for this team too keep. I am curious to see if Weinhandl or any of the defensemen go. I also wonder what the future holds for Snow. The last game Henning was scouting on behalf of Vancouver, could Snow, Weinhandl and Sopel be targets of interest?

I think Parrish, Kvasha and Bates could be replaced within the orginization. Specifically with Nilsson, Nokie and Bergenhiem. I don't know if we have enough talent on defense however. How do you retool the D? If you keep Campoli and Gervais, what do you do with Martinek?

Old
02-20-2006, 07:50 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72
we play the habs -who are currently in 8th seed in our first game back after the break .I suspect it will be the result of this game that will lend to a clearer picture as to what road the isles may take at the deadline .

I like Parrish alot and would like to see him stick around for 2.5 per season -but nothing more . If the isles make him an offer before the deadline in that dollar value neighbourhood and he balks -then I'd try to milk the stone at the deadline from teams looking to add him .

Sopel for a pick of some sort (4th )could happen as well

Kvasha for T Arnason
Arnason is another of those offensively talented headcases. Also, Chihawks (who will be playing golf early this year) have no reason to trade for an impending UFA.

Old
02-20-2006, 08:02 PM
blitzkriegs

I think Weinhandl's future with NYI should NOT be determined by Wang/MM. His contract is very affordable and he has one year remaining. There is on urgency on NYI's part to move him unless they are overwhelmed with a package.

I do feel Weinhandl has underperformed this year. A new roster that will be coming in the Summer of 2006 may or may not benefit him. NYI don't know. I see no reason why he is one on the "to move" list. IF VAN wants to overpay for him to play with the Sedins, then NYI should be asking looking at a borderline NHL ready player.

Old
02-20-2006, 08:16 PM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
I think Weinhandl's future with NYI should NOT be determined by Wang/MM. His contract is very affordable and he has one year remaining. There is on urgency on NYI's part to move him unless they are overwhelmed with a package.
Completely agree. It's been a bad year for Weinhandl and I do feel he is fighting for his roster spot in training camp next year but at his age he get's another opportunity in the fall and we see what happens with a new coach and gm.

Old
02-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm in agreement with both you guys.

Basically, Weinhandl will not bring much return. And, he can still develop. There is no point in casting off guys unless they either 1) Cost to much, 2) Will bring something good in return, 3) Are a problem in the lockeroom or a defensive liability on the ice.

Old
02-20-2006, 08:39 PM
boredmale

Quote:
If i was wang i would want to give the perception this team is trying to win. So if we still in the playoff race, i wouldn't do many trades unless it was nhl quality players for nhl quality players.*

If around the trade deadline it looks like we are out of the race, then i would ok dumping players for picks or prospects.

*This does not count the fact if we found a taker for Yashin, i think Islanders fans would rejoice if we didn't make the playoffs because we dumped his salary. Not that it will happen though

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
I seen this potential problem happen the second we signed Satan. We were strong on RW before the signing, it just became a numbers game. Hard for Weinhandl to do well getting less then 5 minutes on a 4th line that is just a bunch of pieces that don't fit together.

By trading Parrish or Satan, the hope would be Weinhandl can improve his game by playing with guys who suit his style more(no offense to Goddard)

Old
02-20-2006, 10:35 PM
mitchy22

First off let me start by saying and I think most will agree...
I don't like the overall makeup of our team.

I honestly feel we need to move:
Kvasha (no brainer)
Parrish (glut at RW and has some trade value to boot)
Sopel (glut if similar defenseman, Sopel is my odd man out)
Zhitnik (only if he's moved for a younger/cheaper more defensive minded top-4 defenseman, or a chip that can help us get that)
Yashin (har, har, har.)

If we're not going to be getting anything for Weinhandl worth mentioning in return, then I have no desire to trade the guy. Tell me me how many games he's really had the opportunity to play with skill players? Tell me how we expect him to produce on the 4th line? Tell me how much confidence the guy can actually have?

What do we need and can we actually get it???
1.) Defenseman that are going to give DiPietro pleasant dreams NOT nightmares
2.) LW Power Forward (now or in the off-season)
3.) RW Sniper w/ Speed

What I would like to see for the rest of this season...

Honestly, right now, I'd like to see Bergenheim up here getting 3rd line minutes.
I'm wishing Colley and Nokie speedy returns.

Our 4th and 3rd lines are going to become interchangeable for the rest of the season, splitting minutes. Honestly if we can give Asham 12 minutes we can give it to Godard, I don't really care. Bates can hop up and down and save his strength for the PK.

I want Weinhandl playing with Yashin 15-16 minutes a game, I don't care what he's proven up until this point, I want him to get some minutes at some point this season. We can play a wait and see approach if we're worried, but right now Yashin isn't doing crap at even strength so honestly, I don't think an experiment at this point hurts us.

If we have a prospect up, I want them getting minutes that matter, or I don't want them up here at all.

I would like to see Witt or Mitchell here.

I don't believe we're going to be able to get the wingers to play with Yashin anytime soon if we have Satan and Hunter playing with York and playing fairly well.

I wouldn't mind inquiring (yeah it sounds crazy) as to whether Keith Tkachuk is truly serious about staying in St. Louis and what it would take to have him for the remainder of this year and next (his cap hit next year won't be so bad for a new GM and his abilities for the rest of this year would be fun to watch, plus we have no real LW playing here right now folks.) It's a pipe dream, I'm aware so don't bother quoting and ripping me on this one.

Honestly, we do need to ask the hard questions and make serious intelligent changes because the sum of all of our parts does not add up right now.

If we're not willing to let MM make the majority of these decisions, then...
Subtract just Sopel/Kvasha/Parrish

Try to bring in at least Witt or Mitchell (in Sopel's place that makes us better I don't care what the minutes.)

Everything else we get in return should be prospects or picks.
Zhitnik only goes if it is an absolute overpayment. Plus, we need to replace his minutes with a steady defenseman, otherwise I don't want even more swiss cheese in front of DiPietro.

My Tkachuk scenario only works if the asking price isn't high, otherwise let our new GM try for next year at the deadline if we're about to make the playoffs though that price may be even higher then (My thought is that Tkachuk would be nice to have for the remainder of this year and next year, period, what we give up for that should be thinking accordingly.)

What I think will happen is that Parrish/Kvasha/Sopel get moved.
I think the rest will stay the same.
I think we'll be able to add Witt or Mitchell.

I'll be happy if we end up with a 2nd + 4th/5th + Witt(more likely)/Mitchell at the end of the day if we lose the 3 players above and I don't mind losing a late round pick if need be.

Still gives the new GM a lot of room to play with and the opportunity to sign either Witt or Mitchell early worse comes to worst we gain a pick, not sure if it's entirely plausible, but whatever.

Seriously, I don't care if he's earned it or not, give Weinhandl a legitimate shot over a 10 game period playing with skilled players, especially if we start to fall off the pack.

Also, in the GM interview (if they're not currently employed by another NHL team) I would ask them "what would you do with the current roster" to get a feel what direction they might like to take in the near future when they step in. Ask them "what players would you like to see in an Islanders uniform". I hope those types of questions are being asked.

Mitch

Old
02-20-2006, 10:47 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:

Basically, Weinhandl will not bring much return. And, he can still develop. There is no point in casting off guys unless they either 1) Cost to much, 2) Will bring something good in return, 3) Are a problem in the lockeroom or a defensive liability on the ice.
4) are named Oleg Kvasha.

Old
02-20-2006, 10:48 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22
3.) RW Sniper w/ Speed
Like we need another RW to go with the 6 we have now. Center who can win faceoffs is a big need.

Old
02-21-2006, 12:37 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
Like we need another RW to go with the 6 we have now. Center who can win faceoffs is a big need.
My scenario is with Parrish gone and Hunter being used as a LW at present. We're not sitting quite as pretty on RW after that without hoping prospects start to jump in. I think I should have said playmaker instead of sniper, but ideally a player that can be used as both and has speed.

Still I will agree, RW is still configured better than how we sit at Center, to a small degree. Small because we don't have the ideal players in either location.

If Blake is the guy to be stuck with Yashin, then we need a pretty badass LW to be on the other side, at least a legitimate top-6 forward, and ideally a big man with skills and speed.

I was hoping we picked up Sillinger when he was up for grabs, HE would have looked nice on the Right of Yashin. He could have taken every draw. He had enough speed and skill to fill in there. Hell, I would have loved to have taken Tkachuk on the other side, that would have made me quite the happy (and very delusional) camper.

If we had kept Scatchard he'd be our ideal 3rd line Center (54.6% on FOs this year btw) big kid, nice 3rd line center if you ask me (worth over $2 million/year ???? maybe if you look at the makeup of the team, but a hard sell nonetheless.)

So again I concede...
Our best faceoff takers this season have been...
Kvasha: 52.5% (should be gone)
Satan:51.8%
Colley 63.6%(limited time/injured and hopefully getting better soon)

Follow that with...
Yashin 49.8%, Bates 49.5%, and York 46.4%(Satan can take these draws)
Bates and Yashin at least have some size to them.

Ideally right now we have the Hunter/York/Satan line taking offensive faceoffs with Satan taking the draws. Yashin and Bates at those numbers are not terrible but not giving you an edge either. Blake is pretty disgusting at 46.7% not bad for a backup on the ice, but not your first choice by far, plus he lacks size to tie up players.

In the defensive zone? Well I think right now it's Bates. So I agree, we are missing the Scatchard of this team.

But, Yashin isn't Mike Modano either (Modano is at 50.2% for the year,but to his credit on top of that he has more speed and is a overall much better two-way player, his +23 is tops on the Stars with a +6 edge over their next forward.)

Personally, I can accept Yashin winning 49.8% of his draws if he's got speedy wingers that can get back if he loses a draw or can get to lose pucks. I'll say Blake qualifies for sure and Blake will dog the puck and get back but I wish he'd be more of a natural playmaker. But on LW, what the hell do we have there? So there's my #2 priority after our disgusting defense.

OK,so if we concede that Blake will have to play with Yashin for now. Well then we either need a #1/#2 Center who has size, is defensively responsible with enough speed to play on Yashin's line, has playmaking abilities, has enough speed to cover up on and can take draws. Good luck finding that player for cheap

We weren't willing to keep Scatch here at $2+ Million, so we're missing that spot in the lineup as well.

Now, in the future we may have the pieces coming up in the organization for anything we need now.

From within the org, right now...
I say we bring Bergie up and throw him on Yashin's LW, and between him and Blake they'll have the speed to backup Yashin or pickup lose pucks.

I think between Colliton/Nokie/Colley we'll figure out the 2nd/3rd line center rolls with the odd man out being 4th line center. If Nilsson is actually centering now then we have to consider him to be our best shot at 1st line Center, moving Yashin to LW, and keeping Blake there, dropping Bergie down to 3rd line LW (probably more suited for that position). But really we're still missing a player or two.

I'll concede the following:
I'd like to have Scatchard or Peca playing in those trying moments.

I'd like to have a Tkachuk type LW (who wouldn't?) in which case I wouldn't mind Yashin being his Center and winning just under 50% of his draws. Between him and Blake they're gonna pickup some lose pucks, though I'd rather have Sillinger instead of Blake and Blake drop down to the 3rd line. Bates could fill the gap until our prospects kick him out, then he can either hold on to 4th or lose it entirely, or hope to be a depth forward.

If Yashin moves over to LW, more than anything we need another Center who can SERIOUSLY play.

Maybe instead of Sniper RW, I should have just said "player with game breaking skills" AND speed, which is really what I want. Look I want Bossy or Ziggy in their primes over there. Blake/Satan/Parrish while it sounds nice, it's not as great as some of us think. With Parrish gone it is probably even worse sounding especially since Hunter is playing on the other side. They've also tried throwing just about any of our RWs on to the LW.

If Hunter figures out how to be a bonafide power forward at LW, then there's one down. Bergie can play LW on the 3rd line. Still missing Tkachuk on first, or an amazing Center that can move Yashin over and still be effective. Ideally Jason Blake would be more of a raw playmaker and we'd be in pretty good shape here.

So, yeah we still need a lot of work regardless.

Would I mind if we picked up a #1 Center to move Yashin over to LW for sure in the off-season, but right now I don't think we're going to find anybody even close to suitable via trade without giving up something serious (a move most won't want to see MM try.)

Probably not going to get a Scatchard type for nothing either
Probably not going to get a Bossy type either, hehe.

So, yeah the sniper was an afterthought on the end, and hindsight I think a playmaking #1 RW would be even better, though a lot of the time those guys can score as well.

My semi-ideal team considering we HAVE to have Yashin and some others....

L1: Yashin/#1 Playmaking Two-Way Center/#1 Sniper with Speed
L1(alt): #1 Powerd Forward/Yashin/#1 Sniper with Playmaking Skills, Speed and dedent enough shot

L2:Hunter/York/Satan (they've proven to be decent as of late)
L3:Bergie/(Bates/Nokie/Colliton/Colley)/Blake
L4: Lots of pieces could go here

Also, we're going to need places to stick some guys. Nilsson, Bergenheim, Nokelainen, Colliton, I'm planning on those guys playing in the NHL. I don't want them to be 4th line players unless they just don't pan out.

Problem is, the guys we have that will step in eventually may not be ready to step in now We need somebody to tie us over. Scatchard was actually perfect in that role for 3rd line Center (2nd in a bind or injury or key faceoff.)

Sooo, yeah I'm just as confused as anyone else. But I wouldn't mind the above thinking to a least take place. We really need to just get some value for Parrish/Sopel/Kvasha (order of descending value). We need at least one good defenseman that can play top-4 minutes coming back. We could very much use a LW that actually plays LW for a living. I'd love to have a Scatchard type fill in the void prior to our prospects coming up. I'd also love to have a #1 Center that could push over Yashin. I just think the last two are going to be harder to get right now.

*CROSSES FINGERS AND HOPES FOR THE BEST*
Mitch

Old
02-21-2006, 01:10 AM
boredmale

personally i thought from day 1, York should have been put on a line with Yashin and Satan. Basically you have 1 great passer with 2 snipers. The main problem with this is we are so short at center, they decided to put York there.

That being said for whatever reason they decided to use Kvasha at LW, when he has shown through small stints that he is a better C then winger.

Old
02-21-2006, 01:29 AM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
I predict Nothing

without a new GM..we will stand pat

02-21-2006, 02:33 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMick
I predict Nothing

without a new GM..we will stand pat
So Mad Mike misses his last hurrah?
I don't know, I kinda hope for now at least, we get a decent defenseman back and a pick or two for Parrish/Sopel/Kvasha/late rounder. To me that would be about as much as I'd like to see happen with MM at the helm.

If it isn't there I wouldn't force it. We're going to have to look to the off-season for any kind of major changes unless something falls in our lap or MM gets creative.

Again, I don't think anybody wants to see him get creative.
I mean I don't mind if he gives the papers a few good quotes, but that's about it.

Plenty of time to wait and see though.
*CROSSES FINGERS AGAIN*
Mitch

Old
02-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Arnason is another of those offensively talented headcases. Also, Chihawks (who will be playing golf early this year) have no reason to trade for an impending UFA.
I thought Oleg was only RFA this coming summer - my bad .

what was all the heavy scouting from the hawks about back in dec-jan -were they interested in Janne ?

Old
02-21-2006, 07:23 AM
Capt Reynolds

Quote:

Yup. A further point about Matty W is we will likely need him, at least as a stopgap, to provide RW depth if/when Parry departs via free agency. I think he is likely to return little so why move him when he is so young, and when there is a very good chance we will need someone to eat some minutes at RW soon, something Matty W can do rather cheaply? He may not work out there, as his poor year calls into question, but he is certainly a cost-effective shot at that spot and given our other lead candidates are in BST Matty is actually the vet in this instance. I think, barring some real offer (e.g., if VCR should be foolish enough to offer us Kesler), Weinhandl is worth more to us despite his poor year than he would return in a trade and he stays.

(And for the record, I don't think VCR wants him to play with the Sedins, as Carter has filled that spot quite nicely. Only way he ends up there is if he's included as a throw in, e.g., Sopel and Weinhandl for VCR's first round pick.)

Old
02-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Aucoin3

Quote:
Let see who is most accurate about what happens at the deadline. The Isles are only six points out, but the deadline comes early under the new CBA. I think the Isles will have only a handful of games before they have to decide. And, of course, our lame duck GM complicates the matter.

My own predictions:

3) Garth Snow to the EDM Oilers for a 4th round pick.

Your predictions?
I would love to see that but I dont think Edmonton will take on Garth Snow and his 2 remaining years on the contract.

Old
02-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Aucoin3

I will predict who goes. Its hard to predict where and for what with so much time still left before the deadline. Teams will fall in and out of contention and we all know these deals go down with just hours left before the deadline.

Who I believe will be leaving:
1: Mike York (even though I personally hate to see him go)
2: Brad Lukowhich
3: Shawn Bates
4: Oleg Kvasha (if not at deadline he will be gone in offseason)

Old
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aucoin3
I will predict who goes. Its hard to predict where and for what with so much time still left before the deadline. Teams will fall in and out of contention and we all know these deals go down with just hours left before the deadline.

Who I believe will be leaving:
1: Mike York (even though I personally hate to see him go)
2: Brad Lukowhich
3: Shawn Bates
4: Oleg Kvasha (if not at deadline he will be gone in offseason)
I would hate to see York go. As far as Weinhandl, If he makes less than 600,000, maybe a keeper. But he has shown absolutely nothing here, nothing. And he looks slow.

Closed Thread