HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Sami Salo - Healthy, Lovin' It and NOT Planning to Retire

Old
04-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Anodyne

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
There is no one I want more to win the cup than Sami salo.
Same, and it doesn't get said enough.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:06 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Well I'm not gonna lie if we win the cup first and foremost I would be happy for the Sedins, Luongo, and Kesler.

Sally is close behind, though.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:10 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

I'd definitely take him back next year, on a bottom pairing role. He'd be a great mentor for guys like Connauton and Sauve.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:35 AM
BassMason

vCash: 50
Well would you look at that. I was sure the guy was going to retire after this season after what he said at the skills competition.

Can't say that i'm disappointed. He may have lost a step but he is deadly as ever on the PP and I'm sure he can keep up at the 6 spot or even 7 if he is willing to take on that role next year.

BassMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:39 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh View Post
Same, and it doesn't get said enough.
If the Canucks win the Cup when Salo is still a Canuck, I'd love to see Henrik take the Cup from Bettman, not even raise it, and just skate over and hand it to Sami.

I'd cry.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:07 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post
If the Canucks win the Cup when Salo is still a Canuck, I'd love to see Henrik take the Cup from Bettman, not even raise it, and just skate over and hand it to Sami.

I'd cry.
Like what Sakic did?

(in a good way)

Taelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:37 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Like what Sakic did?

(in a good way)
Yeah, like what Sakic did for Ray Bourque.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Shareefruck

Love the guy, but I can't imagine Salo aging like fine wine next year. He's already slowed down significantly this year, and at times looks unable to keep up defensively. I don't expect him to be great next year.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:28 AM
cc

when he does retire, let's hope he retires as a Canuck

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMason View Post
Well would you look at that. I was sure the guy was going to retire after this season after what he said at the skills competition.

Can't say that i'm disappointed. He may have lost a step but he is deadly as ever on the PP and I'm sure he can keep up at the 6 spot or even 7 if he is willing to take on that role next year.
As was pointed out at the time and following, Salo's remarks did not bear that interpretation.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
BassMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
As was pointed out at the time and following, Salo's remarks did not bear that interpretation.
Happy to be wrong.

BassMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
yapperface
Bieksallent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximLapierre View Post

I'd cry.
Then what do the Sedins do? Raise it together?

...actually that'd be awesome.

yapperface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
ProstheticConscience
Seeing is believing

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Love the guy, but I can't imagine Salo aging like fine wine next year. He's already slowed down significantly this year, and at times looks unable to keep up defensively. I don't expect him to be great next year.
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with this. It looks to me like his endless laundry list of injuries over the years has left him without the ability to condition himself properly for the long haul of an almost full NHL season. Not that it's his fault or anything, but still. Personally, I'm pretty sure he only stuck around this year for a last crack at a Stanley Cup.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Basso

Sign him to a 2 year deal! 1.5 per! Get it done MG!

Basso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:54 PM
trytobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basso View Post
Sign him to a 2 year deal! 1.5 per! Get it done MG!
give him another 2 mill for another year with a no-trade. if he wants 2.5, remove the no-trade - at 2.5m Salo is still a very trade-able asset. Maybe even up to 3m without any movement clause.

wary about doing a 2-year deal. we don't want a Pronger situation.

trytobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by yapperface View Post
Then what do the Sedins do? Raise it together?

...actually that'd be awesome.
Nah, what would be awesome would be if Hank gave B*ttman the old "smell my stinky glove" treatment.

(the old Marchand gloved punch treatment might be a bit over the top though ).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:06 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

It's nice to see Salo have a healthy season, and I hope he does really well in the playoffs for this team, but retired or not, I don't see Salo as part of the plans next season.

He is another year older, and after this season, and given his history, the chances are that he'll be back to his old injury-prone self again... will Gillis lock up a top-6 spot for him? I don't even know if Salo believes that... his comment "I'll be playing somewhere next year" seems to sound like even he believes that he may not be in the Canucks plans next season.

Gillis doesn't make such decisions on emotions... he's let Ohlund walk, then Mitchell walk... and given the preference he has to fast-skating players, I'd guess he'd rather go younger on his blueline next year, instead of trusting that a 37 yr old Salo will have another healthy season next year. Even with Salo, though the biggest miracle has been that he's been healthy, there has been a slight drop-off in his play overall this season, as should be expected with his age. Shouldn't we expect another possible drop-off next season, even if he manages to stay healthy again (which would be another miracle).

I'm a big Salo fan and am glad he's been part of this team over the years, even with all his injury problems... great guy, class act, and has been one of our best overall dmen at both ends of the ice over the past several years - when he's played. But he's not getting any younger, and one healthy season now doesn't dismiss the fact that he's much more likely to have another injury-riddled season following that. Given Gillis' direction with this lineup over the years, I think he'll keep Salo as a backup option, but will first try and bring in a younger, faster, more durable player to fill that role next season. If he can't find that guy, then he'll approach Salo... and I think Salo realizes that... he'll probably give the Canucks a bit of time before signing elsewhere. I think he's even resigned to the fact that if he's back next year, it'll probably be elsewhere.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:08 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Keeping Salo would be of great value even if he becomes drastically worse. He is a veteran in many aspects, cooling things down on the bench and a role-model for the younger D-men. And even if he gets worse, he is still a gem to have on third pairing and very handy to throw out on the PP.

He really is my favourite Finnish player all time, no competition.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:25 PM
m9

Salo's been a great teammate on the team for a long time, but this 'aging like a fine wine' analogy seems crazy to me.

He's dramatically slowed down, especially in the 2nd half of this season. In recent games we've had a cast of characters on D like Gragnani, Alberts, and Tanev yet it is Salo who has been making mistakes down low. His play in the defensive zone is very average at this point.

Credit to him for a great career, but I would prefer him in a limited role at a limited salary for next season if he's brought back.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Yeah, I'm going to have to go with this. It looks to me like his endless laundry list of injuries over the years has left him without the ability to condition himself properly for the long haul of an almost full NHL season. Not that it's his fault or anything, but still. Personally, I'm pretty sure he only stuck around this year for a last crack at a Stanley Cup.
I wouldn't go that far. Even if we weren't contending this year, he was great last year. I don't see why he wouldn't have stuck around this year regardless. He probably wouldn't have stuck around after the Marchand hit, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
It's nice to see Salo have a healthy season, and I hope he does really well in the playoffs for this team, but retired or not, I don't see Salo as part of the plans next season.

He is another year older, and after this season, and given his history, the chances are that he'll be back to his old injury-prone self again... will Gillis lock up a top-6 spot for him? I don't even know if Salo believes that... his comment "I'll be playing somewhere next year" seems to sound like even he believes that he may not be in the Canucks plans next season.

Gillis doesn't make such decisions on emotions... he's let Ohlund walk, then Mitchell walk... and given the preference he has to fast-skating players, I'd guess he'd rather go younger on his blueline next year, instead of trusting that a 37 yr old Salo will have another healthy season next year. Even with Salo, though the biggest miracle has been that he's been healthy, there has been a slight drop-off in his play overall this season, as should be expected with his age. Shouldn't we expect another possible drop-off next season, even if he manages to stay healthy again (which would be another miracle).

I'm a big Salo fan and am glad he's been part of this team over the years, even with all his injury problems... great guy, class act, and has been one of our best overall dmen at both ends of the ice over the past several years - when he's played. But he's not getting any younger, and one healthy season now doesn't dismiss the fact that he's much more likely to have another injury-riddled season following that. Given Gillis' direction with this lineup over the years, I think he'll keep Salo as a backup option, but will first try and bring in a younger, faster, more durable player to fill that role next season. If he can't find that guy, then he'll approach Salo... and I think Salo realizes that... he'll probably give the Canucks a bit of time before signing elsewhere. I think he's even resigned to the fact that if he's back next year, it'll probably be elsewhere.
I normally agree with pretty much all of your posts, but I don't really see Salo as being in the same situation as Ohlund or Mitchell at all. He's at the end of his career. It's not like he'll be going elsewhere if he doesn't get the money he wants here-- he'll just retire. Makes me think he'll be okay with playing a depth role for less money next year. A Sami Salo at 1-2 million? I don't see why Gillis wouldn't be satisfied with that, even if his footspeed regresses to the point where he's only played as a 6-7-8 defenseman. I don't see him regressing to the point where he's significantly worse than Alberts/Gragnani.

I'm pretty sure Gillis will at least make him an offer, even if only a low one.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 04-02-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:49 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Salo at $1.5m, even 2m, playing 6/7 d would be beyond brilliant if Gillis could pull it off. Shultz, Tanev with 2 spots on the RH side would need Salo as a super reserve, he'd get 40-50 games and plenty of rest.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Salo at $1.5m, even 2m, playing 6/7 d would be beyond brilliant if Gillis could pull it off. Shultz, Tanev with 2 spots on the RH side would need Salo as a super reserve, he'd get 40-50 games and plenty of rest.
I think alot will depend on if Gillis is able to unload Ballard in the off-season (without taking much salary back).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:07 PM
billvanseattle

I will be amazed if Salo isn't back next year at a decent salary ... $1.5 -1.7 M range.

He has had a strong year. No he isn't 28 and he's obviously slowly declining but he makes and incredible depth defenseman who can step in in any pairing when needed.

It sure seems like Schulz coming here makes sense ... if we have Edler, Hammy, bieska, Tanev, Salo and Schulz ....with Rome and alberts as 7-8 ... we probably have the best 2 and 3 rd pairing in the NHL.

And thats assuming Ballard leaves ... let's see how he does in the playoffs this year first ...

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
gobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
I will be amazed if Salo isn't back next year at a decent salary ... $1.5 -1.7 M range.

He has had a strong year. No he isn't 28 and he's obviously slowly declining but he makes and incredible depth defenseman who can step in in any pairing when needed.

It sure seems like Schulz coming here makes sense ... if we have Edler, Hammy, bieska, Tanev, Salo and Schulz ....with Rome and alberts as 7-8 ... we probably have the best 2 and 3 rd pairing in the NHL.

And thats assuming Ballard leaves ... let's see how he does in the playoffs this year first ...
In the prospect thread, Wet mentioned that it seems like Schultz may be going to the Rangers.

gobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobi View Post
In the prospect thread, Wet mentioned that it seems like Schultz may be going to the Rangers.
Actually that was Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal who was making that claim.

I do not necessarily agree as one thing NYR has is a young Dcorps - if anything Schultz would have a better chance in Vancouver of making the roster and we are an elite team in his home province.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote