HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Noob to Noob Slapshot Stuff

Old
03-29-2012, 06:39 PM
CunniJA

vCash: 500
Noob to Noob Slapshot Stuff

So, I was struggling mightily to get off anythin halfway decent of a high slapshot. Now actually, I was able to shoot low with them with at least a fair amount of speed. But, I absolutely couldn't get good lifted ones, until today. After an hour and a half of nothing but slapshots, I've improved them tremendously, and I can roof them now, if not completely consistently.

Waht really changed me was two simple concepts. First, I made sure that I focused on hitting about 6 inches behind the puck. That started helping a lot. But, what really did it for me was something I actually thought of as I was doing it. I figured out that what I had been doing wrong was not getting enough weight transfer and enough thrust up and forward.

So, what I thought of was "sink it all down, lift it all up." I started to tighten my core right as I was coming up to the shot, sink my hips, sink my left shoulder (I shoot right-handed), and as a result of bending my knees and tightening my abs, my skates would feel like they were almost gripping the floor. Then, as I made contact, I would "lift it all up." I would continue rotating my hips forward, and push up and forward with my legs and basically point my center at the net. When I first started that focus, it even made me almost hop a bit as I finished the motion. I was able to elimiante that with a bit of time though.

Is this a sound practice? It seemed to be working well for me as my shot gained more zip and I could get good lift on the puck.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sounds like a good strategy.

I always thought of coiling the spring and uncoiling. Back and up, then down and across. The other day I was messing with mini-slapshot technique (just using my stick in the living room) and had the concept of incorporating a push-pull force with the windup of a slapshot. Seemed like it loaded the stick well but I'll have to wait to try it on the ice.

If you Google "Lidstrom Slapshot" there's a really detailed breakdown of the physics and mechanics. I learned a lot from that.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Sounds like a good strategy.

I always thought of coiling the spring and uncoiling. Back and up, then down and across. The other day I was messing with mini-slapshot technique (just using my stick in the living room) and had the concept of incorporating a push-pull force with the windup of a slapshot. Seemed like it loaded the stick well but I'll have to wait to try it on the ice.

If you Google "Lidstrom Slapshot" there's a really detailed breakdown of the physics and mechanics. I learned a lot from that.
For the lazy ones:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...IAL01/81008002

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:47 PM
dabeechman

In less words you could have said that you just worked on your follow through. You are raising your body way too much though if you're lifting yourself off the ice. This should never be a problem and is a sign of bad technique.

But yes, if you want to place a shot, it is all in your follow through. Rather than lifting your body in an explosive motion, simply raise your follow through.

I think in your case since you're still learning is not to over think your movement.

Think of your swing as an arc. It should be fluid, smooth, and simple. When I watch a lot of beginners they keep their abdominals TOO stiff, and they look like a robot out there. I keep my midsection fairly relaxed, while my inside oblique is very contracted. This keeps my body rigid, but with a lot of free motion to rotate my upper body.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 07:13 PM
r3cc0s

lately I don't brink the stick much higher back than waste height... I just find its not only easier to time thos one timers, but the stick is closer to return to a ready position if you need to make a move, pass or play

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:55 PM
ean

Keep that head up.

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 01:06 AM
Stickmata

I don't 'lift up' my body at all on follow through and have no trouble lifting the puck to head height if I want to do so. The mechanics of my shot stays the same every time; the only thing I change is the angle of my release.

Keep it simple and smooth, make sure you get your weight shift completed BEFORE impact and swing around a firm front leg. Too often I see beginners actually shifting their weight AS they're swinging through the puck, rather than completing the shift first, and as a result then never get a firm front side around which to swing. You can't generate power and an accurate shot when you're skating through it.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:24 AM
theMajor

vCash: 3066
i primarily play D and my slapshot, if you can call it that, is absolutely horrible. everyone on my team has a pretty decent one, but my wrister is harder and more accurate than my slapshot. ive watched countless youtube videos and talked with guys on my team but i cant get it down. its a huge bummer. i dont even attempt them anymore because it makes me look like an idiot on the ice

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMajor View Post
i primarily play D and my slapshot, if you can call it that, is absolutely horrible. everyone on my team has a pretty decent one, but my wrister is harder and more accurate than my slapshot. ive watched countless youtube videos and talked with guys on my team but i cant get it down. its a huge bummer. i dont even attempt them anymore because it makes me look like an idiot on the ice
To be honest its not necessarily a bad thing. I mean everyone loves a hard slap shot and nothing looks better than a cannon to the top shelf but I personally find it frustrating, either watching NHL or playing, to see Dmen trying to go for the cannon when often a hard quick snapper or wrister will be:

1) more accruate
2) quicker to get off (which is infinitely more important than power).
3) provide an opportunity for a rebound.

Just me 2 cents.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I don't 'lift up' my body at all on follow through and have no trouble lifting the puck to head height if I want to do so. The mechanics of my shot stays the same every time; the only thing I change is the angle of my release.

Keep it simple and smooth, make sure you get your weight shift completed BEFORE impact and swing around a firm front leg. Too often I see beginners actually shifting their weight AS they're swinging through the puck, rather than completing the shift first, and as a result then never get a firm front side around which to swing. You can't generate power and an accurate shot when you're skating through it.
Sounds a bit like golf where you "uncoil" from the ground up in that order.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:26 AM
ironranger

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
To be honest its not necessarily a bad thing. I mean everyone loves a hard slap shot and nothing looks better than a cannon to the top shelf but I personally find it frustrating, either watching NHL or playing, to see Dmen trying to go for the cannon when often a hard quick snapper or wrister will be:

1) more accruate
2) quicker to get off (which is infinitely more important than power).
3) provide an opportunity for a rebound.

Just me 2 cents.
I agree with this, I play D and my slap shot is decent but nothing blazing fast

So I find for myself that the quicker release of my snap shot is far better because the goalie doesn't have as much time to react due to the fact I'm not taking a big wind up

Plus I swear the only thing my slap shot is good for is hitting the goalie in the chest or hitting the pipes I got to work on that

ironranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm the same way. Hopefully I can get some ice after going hardcore with the lifting this summer and get a slapper with some heat on it.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:01 PM
CunniJA

Thanks for all the feedback, everybody. Also, I plan on playing RW, so I don't think a good slapper is by any means essential, but I just wanted to be able to have one for a rare situation where I might want to pull it out.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Sounds a bit like golf where you "uncoil" from the ground up in that order.
Similar concept, though more of a weight shift than in golf. Here's a picture of Pronger taking a slapper that I think sums it up great. Weight shift is totally complete before impact, as evidenced by his back foot being off the ice. Front leg is fairly closed and firm, allowing him to flex the stick and generate a ton of power. Looking at pics of Al McInnis help as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pronger Slapper.jpg‎ (46.9 KB, 5 views)

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote