HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who would you rather face, Washington or Buffalo?

View Poll Results: I want the Rangers to face:
Buffalo Sabres 47 29.94%
Washington Capitals 110 70.06%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Machinehead
★★★★

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtranova View Post
Crossing my fingers that the Wings will pull a rabbit out of the hat in their third now. Florida up by one with a period to go... In freaking Detroit. I want Florida!

(Off course not going to be easy no matter who we face...but you know)
Florida will be in round 2, that's a money back guarantee.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Rust Heisenberg

vCash: 50
Would love to get the monkey off the back and beat Wash in the first round.

At some point I'd really love to play the Devils. That would just be some series to watch. I feel we play them in round 2.

If we can advance past both then the Flyers or Bruins would be a fun match up too.

Really don't want the Pens. I just hate playing them.

This is gonna be a fun playoff year.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:36 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I think Washington would be the slightly easier team to beat, but I'd love to see the Rangers play the Sabres because I live just blocks from the First Niagara Center and would love to go see a playoff game.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
True Blue

First make sure that it is not the Flyers that will be faced.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Nich

I want nothing to do with Ryan Miller

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:09 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
As far as matchups go, IDC Rangers need to beat whoever they face. That said, after being tossed my Washington several times in recent years, I'd love nothing more than the Ranger to decimate their Patrick Division rivals.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:27 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

To be the man, you have to beat the man. The Caps have beaten us twice in the first round. Exorcise those demons early on and watch the confidence of this team skyrocket.

We haven't matched up well against Buffalo this season. Yes, we beat them three times, but two of those were in OT or the shootout, and they spanked us at home a few days ago. Also, you never know when Ryan Miller will decide to channel his 2010 Olympics self. No to Buffalo.

I Eat Crow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
nevesis

We can beat ANY team in a best of 7 series. Timing is everything in the playoffs/big games, AND luck.

If all those things work in our favor, we have an exciting few weeks/months ahead.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Personally, I'm afraid of the Craps. Granted they aren't good in their own end at all, but when you have Ovechkin (and others like Backstrom, Semin, Green, Wideman, etc), you can break open any game. I'm also concerned that the Rangers are so young that those 'Nam frashbacks of being defeated by the Craps will haunt them.

With Buffalo, I see them as the Rangers were in the past: simply not enough fire-power to win a 7 game series.

I know they say that defense wins in the playoffs, but when you are completely lacking offensively, you can't win either. I don't see BS having the offense to beat us 4 times, whereas I can see the Craps clamping down defensively enough to make this a very tough series for us.
This^. And on top of what was well said, let me add just that it only takes for a goalie to get hot enough in a short series, playing over his head perhaps, but enough to be a single handed difference maker. If that happens with DC, they have enough firepower. Reciprocally, odds of enough Fs on the Sabres turning super sniper much less likely.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:05 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Buffalo...better balanced and more of a team

if the Rangers faced the Caps, it would be all about Ovechkin again its a team sport....
I wouldint say that, just Ovi, Wash do have some depth with Backstrom coming back, and Johansson elevating to atleast a legit second line center, plays similar to Backstrom lol. Than add Semin, Brouwer and Chemira along with Perrault and Ward they have some depth on forward that could be tough. Sometimes they differ to Ovi too much even when hes not on his game. There weakness imo is defence and goaltending which down low we should be able to take advantage of and really eat up with our grinders. But another risk of playing Wash is if its a tight game they have more capable game breakers in Ovi and Semin. Buff may be a better matchup only because Vanek has been struggling and i think Hudgson is good but not that fast and our center should be able to outplay him. However Ennis line has been on fire with Stafford and they have solid D and goaltending opposite to Wash so really with the Miller factor you probably prefer Wash. Thats my take.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:09 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
We can beat ANY team in a best of 7 series. Timing is everything in the playoffs/big games, AND luck.

If all those things work in our favor, we have an exciting few weeks/months ahead.
This pretty much sums it up because right now you can really make an argument for any team in either conferance to go to the semi's or finals its that tough. Even trying to do fantasy for playoffs is impossible but i think im going with the Rangers just because i really think Philly can cause Pitt problems and maybe beat them.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubinstache View Post
I think Washington would be the slightly easier team to beat, but I'd love to see the Rangers play the Sabres because I live just blocks from the First Niagara Center and would love to go see a playoff game.
Same and the Buff stadium is amazing to watch a playoff game in.

Old
04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
This^. And on top of what was well said, let me add just that it only takes for a goalie to get hot enough in a short series, playing over his head perhaps, but enough to be a single handed difference maker. If that happens with DC, they have enough firepower. Reciprocally, odds of enough Fs on the Sabres turning super sniper much less likely.

That's exactly what happened 3 years ago. Remember when Varlamov suddenly went hot against us in the playoffs? Suddenly, not only did we face a great offense, but their goalie was hot too.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graves94 View Post
You play to win. ALWAYS!
Remember last year? We all thought we were out of the playoffs, even though we beat the Devils in the last game of the season. We were hoping Tampa beat Carolina (In Carolina), in a game that basically meant nothing to Tampa, and Carolina had been on a good roll heading into that game, and with the win they were in. Tampa was up 3-0 after the first if I recall, and I remember thinking, you always play to win in professional sports (amateur as well).

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:00 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

If we get out of the first round, which we should, there's a 90% chance we face New Jersey in the second round IMO.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Id say Washington, but Im surprised that the poll is as close as it is. Maybe its swayed a bit by the revenge factor from our last 2 playoff appearances.

In the end, I'd like to avoid Buffalo, a team that is better coached, better disciplined, and has a (much) better goaltender.

Washington has been a mess most of the season, but they have an awful lot of talent over there that you need to hope doesnt get hot for a few games.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
If we get out of the first round, which we should, there's a 90% chance we face New Jersey in the second round IMO.
Yup...they get a nice matchup vs. Florida. At least Boston would be playing the winner of Pitt/Phi.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
adam94
BU Terriers

Honestly I'd rather face the Caps, I think we match up better against them in a 7-game series. Buffalo is getting hot at the right time, and if we shall return to NFL analogies, the Giants do come to mind, which is a scary thought and definitely something I don't want to see. More of a Kentucky outcome would be nice

adam94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam94 View Post
Honestly I'd rather face the Caps, I think we match up better against them in a 7-game series. Buffalo is getting hot at the right time, and if we shall return to NFL analogies, the Giants do come to mind, which is a scary thought and definitely something I don't want to see. More of a Kentucky outcome would be nice
Except that the Sabres lost 2 of their last three and had to pull a huge effort to win tonight. I think they're hitting their wall a little. These kinds of runs take their toll. Remember us the previous 2 playoffs we've been to. 3 years ago we were competitive in the 1st round, but we really hit a wall in game 5. Last year, we hit the wall in game 4. The Sabres could still squeak in, but I don't think the hot factor plays as much of a role as some think.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:22 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Miller's the type of goalie that can turn the tide of a series. Lundqvist is too, but I'd rather face a team that will be forced to beat our defense and Lundqvist a lot to win.

SlingshotVv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:33 PM
wr50l

Neither are good enough player by player to compare to us, but Buffalo have so much more heart. I'd rather play Washington, who seem rather non-plussed (excepting Ovechkin) about their situation and are ready to be sent to the golf course. It would also be nice to settle the score somewhat after previous years' defeats.

wr50l is offline   Reply With Quote