HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers sign Max Talbot - 5 years $9M, $1.8 AAV

Old
04-02-2012, 08:19 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
I don't care enough to look through the entire thread, but I saw quite a few posts on the first pages about how Talbot was a good player and a guy you love to have on your team but hate to play against. That's the thing, we hated him when he was a Penguin, it's tough to turn right around and love a guy like that. At least in the summer, before you've seen him in your colours. Coming right after some of the other moves we made in the summer, the mood around here wasn't the most welcoming for a guy like Talbot perhaps.

Also, he was coming off some down years with injury concerns. Thinking that signing him for five years is risky wasn't exactly unfounded, especially considering the way he plays the game.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I don't care enough to look through the entire thread, but I saw quite a few posts on the first pages about how Talbot was a good player and a guy you love to have on your team but hate to play against. That's the thing, we hated him when he was a Penguin, it's tough to turn right around and love a guy like that. At least in the summer, before you've seen him in your colours. Coming right after some of the other moves we made in the summer, the mood around here wasn't the most welcoming for a guy like Talbot perhaps.

Also, he was coming off some down years with injury concerns. Thinking that signing him for five years is risky wasn't exactly unfounded, especially considering the way he plays the game.
It's not that tough. When Pete Rose played for the Reds he was hated. The day he came here and played for the Phillies he was a hero. Now I know Talbot is no Pete Rose. But he did help win the Cup for the pens. Plus I was at the game he fought carbomb and liked his style.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:33 AM
thelos
Bunk

Talbot is great. Hopefully he can produce well every year. If he can hover at ~15 goals that's great

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
It's funny to go back and read the earlier posts. There was a couple themes to the responses. Most were not happy at all. Many were just uneasy because it was Talbot and they had that deep seeded hatred for him as a player (that's where I fell). And a few were psyched about it. I don't think anyone expected him to be as big a contributor as he was this season. Another solid move by the NHL's worst GM.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:03 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
It's not that tough. When Pete Rose played for the Reds he was hated. The day he came here and played for the Phillies he was a hero. Now I know Talbot is no Pete Rose. But he did help win the Cup for the pens. Plus I was at the game he fought carbomb and liked his style.
I was fairly certain that Talbot would be a fan favourite here if he could remain healthy. Just as I was certain that Simmonds would be one. It's easier once they've donned your jersey though. Before that you have to try to think about it rationally, taking away the feelings you've had towards the player before this. Rational thinking isn't always the strongest suite of a fan.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:09 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Its not just him. Im argueing with other Flyers fans who are trying to convince me he is a solid 3rd line center, and thats where he played in Pittsburg... retarded
And... I was right.

Talbot is PERTY bad at faceoffs/center. Better as a winger. Love how people told me he will easily improve from last season on faceoffs, and would be around 50%.

Love what he has done for the team..but he still isnt a center.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:24 AM
DUHockey9

I searched through this thread for my thoughts and was surprised at what I didn't find. So it's kind of weird I'm bringing it up now haha.

My opinion at the time, and it's no different now, is that I like(d) Talbot as a player, but that it makes little sense to sign a 4th liner for 5 years. I maintain that now.

Anyone who is looking back with an "I told you so", is delusional. I'm sure you all expected a 4th liner to pot 19 goals.

Again, I love everything Talbot brings, but I will forever maintain signing 4th liners to 5 year deals is silly. If you're being rational you realize that this is a career year from him, EXPECTING this is not reasonable. Hopefully it continues, and Talbot should never be worthless; but there's inherent risk in tying yourself to 4th liners for that long.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:35 AM
YuioIklo

I was skeptic when they signed him on July 1st, but he has proved that he worths every penny in his contract so far.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Kaktus*

I still can not get used to Talbot in orange jersey.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:54 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I was always alright with this signing. The length was a little confusing, but the money was good.

glad he's worked out for us

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I searched through this thread for my thoughts and was surprised at what I didn't find. So it's kind of weird I'm bringing it up now haha.

My opinion at the time, and it's no different now, is that I like(d) Talbot as a player, but that it makes little sense to sign a 4th liner for 5 years. I maintain that now.

Anyone who is looking back with an "I told you so", is delusional. I'm sure you all expected a 4th liner to pot 19 goals.

Again, I love everything Talbot brings, but I will forever maintain signing 4th liners to 5 year deals is silly. If you're being rational you realize that this is a career year from him, EXPECTING this is not reasonable. Hopefully it continues, and Talbot should never be worthless; but there's inherent risk in tying yourself to 4th liners for that long.
If the '4th liner' you are signing is only 27, and is a great character player, talented and tough, and you think he's going to be your PK1 option, and by offering 5 years you get him to sign over other teams offering 4 years, you offer 5 years.

I don't remember if I posted in this thread or not, but I loved this deal at the time, he's a guy who can anchor your bottom lines, do PK duty and has the skill to move up to the top lines during times of injuries or to shake up the lines. He's done all of these things and now has a chance at 20 goals too. To paraphrase DFF, yet another great move by the worst GM in hockey!

Talbot is still going to be young when this contract expires, and I would not be surprised if he gets another 5 years after that, before being offered a spot in the organization....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:24 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Talbot is one clutch mofo in the playoffs

You should like him even more in a few weeks

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:29 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
If the '4th liner' you are signing is only 27, and is a great character player, talented and tough, and you think he's going to be your PK1 option, and by offering 5 years you get him to sign over other teams offering 4 years, you offer 5 years.

I don't remember if I posted in this thread or not, but I loved this deal at the time, he's a guy who can anchor your bottom lines, do PK duty and has the skill to move up to the top lines during times of injuries or to shake up the lines. He's done all of these things and now has a chance at 20 goals too. To paraphrase DFF, yet another great move by the worst GM in hockey!

Talbot is still going to be young when this contract expires, and I would not be surprised if he gets another 5 years after that, before being offered a spot in the organization....
Few things annoy me more than this type of thinking. Why do so many people just assume every player that ever puts on a Flyers Jersey will want or even get offered a position in the organization? People act like it's a foregone conclusion.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

This is the greatest thread.

Talbot has out-performed...he'll return to roughly a 10-12 goal output in the future, but he's been well worth the money.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:27 AM
DrHamburg

if he can stay at 25-30 point player and being our #1 PK guy for another 4 years what a steal this has been. I never posted before but Ill admit I thought it was too long and for too much. So happy he has proved me wrong. maybe he can help jody shelley??? :-p

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:52 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I think I am with DU on this. Hes been great since coming here. No debate in that. But I like many fans had issues with the contract. If anyone could of predicted with a straight face he would of potted 19 and could very well get 20 then I want you ro buy me a lottery ticket.
gonna say this tho, having him on our team for the more then likely Pittsburgh series is going to be a lot of fun. The guy is a playoff player.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:16 PM
kicksave27

I had no problems with the money or the player, it was the fact that the flyers didn't understand the CBA yet again.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
It's funny to go back and read the earlier posts. There was a couple themes to the responses. Most were not happy at all. Many were just uneasy because it was Talbot and they had that deep seeded hatred for him as a player (that's where I fell). And a few were psyched about it. I don't think anyone expected him to be as big a contributor as he was this season. Another solid move by the NHL's worst GM.
It's funny to go back and read your posts feverishly defending the Leighton and Shelley signings. You don't have a whole lot of room to talk or pass judgement here.

Edit: That being said, I never had an issue with this signing. The term is long, but he doesn't have a NTC...for once.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 04-02-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Mota

The Flyers have handled the Pens really well this year...I wonder if Talbot gave them some inside info on how to get in some of their players heads.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The Flyers have handled the Pens really well this year...I wonder if Talbot gave them some inside info on how to get in some of their players heads.
I don't want to get overconfident cause we always do well against them in the regular season. Playoffs are another matter.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:34 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

I don't really see a problem with the 5 year deal, unless you think there's a higher than normal injury risk. As a 27 year old you're going to get good years out of him for the life of the contract.

No one expected a year like this, but even if he's a 12 goal, 25-30 point player he's still a valuable defensive player. Also, $1.8M isn't a ton of money with how the cap has gone up.

You also can't discredit this year when going forward if you're talking about value. He's well outplayed his contract for this year, so it'll even out that down year he's likely to have during his tenure here.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:46 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
it wouldmt surprise me. most, if not all, ex players do that

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote