HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

April 20 update: JVR removed from LTIR, will play tonight (foot surgery, March 6)

Old
03-31-2012, 03:25 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
On top of which, in the 43 games he played, he was playing hurt in many of them.

This. JVR is a heck of a player, he simply hasn't really had the chance to play this year. Call me an optimist, but I see JVR becoming a constant 40 goal scorer in a few years. Might hit 50 sometimes.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:37 PM
Damaged Goods

vCash: 500
Hopefully this time off has helped JVR's hip pointer as well as his foot. A healthy JVR could be their 4th or 5th best forward. Flyers get that much deeper up front.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 03:40 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Wasn't he hurt coming out of camp?

IMO, this year is just a complete wash. Due to all his injuries, you can't really take too much from this season.
Im pretty sure he was fine. Im just not as high as some people here are on JVR. One good playoff run made some people believe he is going to be a franchise player.

Next year will be an important year because he cant have another wash season due to injuries. He has just got to start producing. He is turning 23 in two months, and will be going into his 4th season. I dont think it's unreasonable to expect more from him.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im pretty sure he was fine. Im just not as high as some people here are on JVR. One good playoff run made some people believe he is going to be a franchise player.

Next year will be an important year because he cant have another wash season due to injuries. He has just got to start producing. He is turning 23 in two months, and will be going into his 4th season. I dont think it's unreasonable to expect more from him.
JVR missed the end of camp and the exhibition games, IIRC. I think he was doubtful for the opener but made it. He was never right all fall, then he started playing better and got cheapshotted for a concussion, came back from that and was really starting to fly when he broke his foot blocking a shot.

When you watch how great Voracek is breaking down the wing, opening up the D with speed, JVR is actually better at it. Patience, the kid has great tools (speed, size, growing strength as he fills out) and skill (passing, shooting and hockey sense). He just needs to come back in the first round and give us a boost to win the series - no pressure!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I hope he's back but I'm not going to be too worried if he doesn't play another game this year. Not a knock on JvR, but it is clear they don't need him. He only played half a season and wasn't all that impressive during his time in the lineup. Whether it is because of an injury or not, he still didn't do much for the team this year. If he comes back it will be a plus for sure, but I think they can make a run without him if he is out.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 04:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
JVR missed the end of camp and the exhibition games, IIRC. I think he was doubtful for the opener but made it. He was never right all fall, then he started playing better and got cheapshotted for a concussion, came back from that and was really starting to fly when he broke his foot blocking a shot.

When you watch how great Voracek is breaking down the wing, opening up the D with speed, JVR is actually better at it. Patience, the kid has great tools (speed, size, growing strength as he fills out) and skill (passing, shooting and hockey sense). He just needs to come back in the first round and give us a boost to win the series - no pressure!
The difference between Voracek and JVR though, is that, Voracek would go into the zone and look for a pass, while JVR goes to the blueline and shoots it every time. He has GOT to change that aspect. It has never worked and wont ever work. JVR will be making alot more money next season. He needs to show he is worth it and not just potential still.

Like DFF said (possibly the first time I ever agreed with DFF), the team has showed they are good enough without him and I'd be fine not playing JVR the rest of the season.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 05:01 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I hope he's back but I'm not going to be too worried if he doesn't play another game this year. Not a knock on JvR, but it is clear they don't need him. He only played half a season and wasn't all that impressive during his time in the lineup. Whether it is because of an injury or not, he still didn't do much for the team this year. If he comes back it will be a plus for sure, but I think they can make a run without him if he is out.

Maybe they don't need him to secure a 4/5 seed in the playoffs, but you're talking about a team that hasn't won a Cup in 36 years! They need whatever they can get in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It's a hard time to win, you know.

Heck, the Pens didn't need Crosby to get a 4/5 seed either. Having him back for the playoffs sure boosts their Cup hopes, though.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 08:01 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Maybe they don't need him to secure a 4/5 seed in the playoffs, but you're talking about a team that hasn't won a Cup in 36 years! They need whatever they can get in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. It's a hard time to win, you know.

Heck, the Pens didn't need Crosby to get a 4/5 seed either. Having him back for the playoffs sure boosts their Cup hopes, though.
The Stanley Cup playoffs is a war of attrition. Every great player who can take the ice when someone else is out is a huge plus towards advancing deeper.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2012, 09:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Well, see the thing is, they had him on Giroux's line the beginning of the year and looked horrendous. The reason he hasnt had enough icetime is because he hasnt played that good. You dont just give players icetime for the hell of it. If you play good, you get time.
Unless your name is Briere...then you get ice time regardless

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:06 PM
djw99

what about an update on Sestito. he should be close to getting back too

djw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Like DFF said (possibly the first time I ever agreed with DFF), the team has showed they are good enough without him and I'd be fine not playing JVR the rest of the season.
That is just dumb, my friend, I'll give you a pass on that. Look up any of the highlights from last year's playoff, when JVR was practically the only player who showed up, and let us know you've reconsidered this opinion.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:38 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw99 View Post
He won't sniff the lineup with the way Wellwood and Rinaldo are playing. Shame one of them will watch from a box when JvR is back.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:55 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw99 View Post
Not sure I want Sestito in the lineup. Only forward I want coming back into the lineup is JVR. When JVR comes back I would think Rinaldo sits. Wellwood has been very good since his recall.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:22 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Hartnell-Giroux-Jagr
Simmonds-Schenn-Briere
Jvr-Read-Voracek
Wellwood/Rinaldo-Couturier-Talbot
Rinaldo/Wellwood

I'd also like to try

Jvr-Briere-Voracek
Simmonds-Schenn-Read

Coburn-Grossmann
Kubina-Timonen
Bourdon-Carle

Bryz
Bob

Does anyone know when/if Mez will be ready? I forget what the original prognosis was but is there anyway he's ready before the 1st round is over?

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Kaktus*

Surgery was done March 21st by Dr. Alex Vaccaro at Thomas Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia, Andrej will be out six to eight weeks.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
Surgery was done March 21st by Dr. Alex Vaccaro at Thomas Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia, Andrej will be out six to eight weeks.
That means he won't be around unless the Flyers get to the ECF.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:57 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post

As I said in my other post, it would obviously be a plus if he came back. Getting a player back like him would be a plus for any team. I certainly am not hoping he remains injured. What I am saying is that they have shown they can win without him (i.e. they don't NEED him).

Old
04-02-2012, 10:20 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
That means he won't be around unless the Flyers get to the ECF.
Ugh.

Old
04-02-2012, 10:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Ugh.
Yeah I'm more worried about Mez's absence than JvR's.

Old
04-02-2012, 12:06 PM
Kaktus*

Yeah JVR and Meszaros would be real nice.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah I'm more worried about Mez's absence than JvR's.
I feel like with briere now out indefinitely, Jvr could really come
In handy now. Without briere, it likey means more time for schenn and couturier. I'd love to see if Jvr can develop some chemistry with either of them. I think a Jvr couturier combo could actually work well. Coots is good at finding players off the wall and high in the slot, and that's precisely where Jvr becomes most effective. He's got a very deceptive release, and when he gets confidence, can force his way to the net with the best of them.

I really think jvrs talents are underrated around here. We've seen it. We've witnessed it first hand JUST how much talent he has. I honestly believe its just a confidence issue with Jvr. He's a very timid kid. I've actually had the pleasure of meeting him twice and he's extremely approachable and just a genuinely nice guy, from what I gathered.

When Jvr gets confidence and gets going, there isn't a player on the team who has the ability to single handedly take over a game the way he can. Yes even more so than Giroux, i believe. He doesn't do that nearly enough, but I believe he will be able to do it on a more consistent basis when he gets a bit more experienced in the league and a bit more confidence in asserting himself.

He's had injury trouble, and while I know that's not an excuse because he does need to prove his worth, the injuries that hes had arent really the type of injuries where you can say "hes an injury prone player" etc. Theyve mostly all been, simply, unlucky injuries. When he comes back this year, and next year will be do or die time for Jvr with this team in my opinion. But I think with some legit, healthy time in the lineup, he'll start to show just how much talent he possesses.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
James van Riemsdyk, out since March 1 with a broken bone in his foot, hopes to rejoin the Philadelphia Flyers during the first round of playoffs.

The 22-year-old winger told Philly.com on Friday that he'll visit a doctor at the end of next week and hopes to get permission to skate, then work his way back into shape in a couple weeks. The 2012 NHL playoffs begin on April 11.

James van Riemsdyk broke his foot on March 1. (AP Photo)“There’s no reason to think that can’t happen,” he said. “I’m just doing all I can to stay positive, and being in a good mindset to get better. That’s all I can do right now.”

Van Riemsdyk, who has 11 goals in 43 games this season while struggling with a few different injuries, said has been working out, but “can’t do a lot of weight-bearing stuff at this point, so it’s been a lot of upper-body and core (exercises) and keeping that strong. Hopefully I’ll get in the pool and start doing some stuff with that, and go from there. When I get my boot off, things will start progressing a little better."
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/stor...ttsburgh-pengu

Old
04-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Prongo
Beer

^Homer also said this today to go along with what Nitro said

https://twitter.com/#!/BroadStBull/s...83046072008704

Quote:
Homer says best-case for Mez return is 2d round (if #Flyers get there) and middle of 1st round for JVR.
Best case scenario here though. I want JVR back for the first round. He speed can create a ton of problems for the Pens defense.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:06 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
^Homer also said this today to go along with what Nitro said

https://twitter.com/#!/BroadStBull/s...83046072008704

Best case scenario here though. I want JVR back for the first round. He speed can create a ton of problems for the Pens defense.
Just leave him front of the net if nothing else

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:49 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
JVR to visit doctor Friday, April 6 for possible removal of cast.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...876&feedID=695

Quote:
JVR’s cast
Forward James van Riemsdyk will be examined on Friday to see if the cast on his left foot is ready for removal, general manager Paul Holmgren said.

Once it’s off and JVR begins skating, he will likely need about 10 days to resume playing again.

“I’ll know more soon,” JVR texted CSNPhilly.com.

JVR (11 goals, 24 points), who had a disappointing, albeit injury-marred season, suffered a broken bone in his left foot on March 1 against the Islanders.

He will finish the season having missed the club’s final 19 games.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-05-2012 at 11:55 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote