HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Non-Rangerfan Playoff Bandwagon

Old
04-01-2012, 09:15 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
The Non-Rangerfan Playoff Bandwagon

With the Sabres done, I'll be hopping on the Blueshirt train yet again. This isn't new for me - having grown up in Rockland, I've had more exposure to you guys than my own team.... But I'm sure there are fans of other playoff-less teams that'll want to hop on as well - have at it.

Would love to see a parade from my office window again, too. Good luck! For NYC!!!!

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Welcome aboard!

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:20 PM
arunnair87

Sabres aren't out yet.

arunnair87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:42 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunnair87 View Post
Sabres aren't out yet.
Yeah they are (this is how we operate... In case you haven't caught on)

Old
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
SnowblindNYR

The Sabres are definitely not yet. The Capitals just barely beat Montreal at home in a shootout when they were on a second game of a back to back and already mailed in the season. If they continue to play like that the Sabres aren't out yet. Although I don't want to face Miller in the playoffs (if we get the #1 seed) and after one Sabres fan posted in the "most frustrating game" thread that it'll be frustrating when the Sabres sweep us, I really want the Sabres to miss it. No offense.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:03 PM
JeremyNYR

I'm a Rangers fan that grew up in Rockland and have lived in Buffalo for the past 10 years. I'm curious to know, how did you become a Sabres fan if you grew up in Rockland and are living in NY now?

I agree with arunnair87 that the Sabres aren't done yet. I'm still dreading the possibility of a 1st round matchup with them since they had a major hot streak until very recently and it'll make my life a living hell for the entire series. Anyone can say what they want about Buffalo being a small city without much luck, but they have an amazing number of hometown fans and they're hardcore.

JeremyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Welcome aboard. Good to have ya!

Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:20 PM
Muh
Beadle

Somebody get this guy a Lundqvist jersey.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:51 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyNYR View Post
I'm a Rangers fan that grew up in Rockland and have lived in Buffalo for the past 10 years. I'm curious to know, how did you become a Sabres fan if you grew up in Rockland and are living in NY now?
My father was born in Buffalo, and was raised there as well - went to Nichols, and then came back after college to do law school at UB. My grandmother lives in Williamsville down by MF Suburban off Maple now.

Everyone follows their father, and wants to be like them and root for who they root for, right? I certainly did (do), and despite the misery that comes with the label, I couldn't be prouder to be a Buffalo sports fan - especially because of him being the reason why. I know nothing other than what my father knew - Sabres hockey. He was, and still is, a pretty freaky diehard (Muh can attest to DB's Buffalo passion). He would sit me next to him and certainly wouldn't censor himself during games. It was so fun as a younger kid. Because of the joy he showed when we scored or when we won, I thought being a Sabres fan was cool and "the norm"..... So I have been a Sabres fan for as long as I've been watching hockey, which is forever.

My grandmother used to send us a monthly package with VHS recordings of the Sabres games that month. There was no NHL Center Ice yet, obviously, so we had to find absurdly obscure areas to try to catch pick it up on radio; hope they played the Devs, Isles, or Rangers; were on ESPN2/NHL 2Nite; or wait for the videos.

Make no mistake - because I was able to, I watched so so many Rangers games over the duration of my childhood. For whatever reason, never watched the islanders as much as the devils or rangers. The Canucks series in 94 is in my top three favorite series' of all time.

Quote:
Anyone can say what they want about Buffalo being a small city without much luck, but they have an amazing number of hometown fans and they're hardcore.
They are indeed pretty intense up there, but as for the raging debate that exists internally as to where or not it's a Sabres city, I think things like the "day we signed Mario Williams" and the insanity that overtook the radio that day indicate that it is a football town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
Somebody get this guy a Lundqvist jersey.
I didn't win brackets because of ****ing AAron Craft. Your pools suck and you are the worst at letting me place in the money in any of them. Any sport.

Side note: guaranteed 837487346 people would think the playoff pool we created for postseason hockey is ****ing sick and would want in. Think we should put up a thread somewhere, but mandate that if anyone wants in, a roster would have to be mailed to you with buy-in? And do you remember the two rule tweaks we wanted to instill this year?

Old
04-02-2012, 07:46 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
They are indeed pretty intense up there, but as for the raging debate that exists internally as to where or not it's a Sabres city, I think things like the "day we signed Mario Williams" and the insanity that overtook the radio that day indicate that it is a football town.
A drinking town with a football problem

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Crease

Yeaaa buddy. Welcome aboard Jay. BTW, do I know Muh? PM me.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:09 AM
koz2393

Welcome to the madhouse. I actually liked the sabres more than the Rangers when I was a kid...It was the demon goat jersey days, Hasek was (and still is) my favorite player, and they had Miroslav Satan (who my dad liked because thats his first name). I also was in Buffalo last year for the first game under pegula when he brought out the french connection, as part of a hockey roadtrip. Hell of a hockey town based those two days.

koz2393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:43 AM
nyrleetch

Quote:
I didn't win brackets because of ****ing AAron Craft. Your pools suck and you are the worst at letting me place in the money in any of them. Any sport.
Just be glad you didn't bet your hair on the game.

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:26 AM
JeremyNYR

That's a great story about how you became a Sabres fan. It gives me hope! As I said, I'm a Rangers fan living in Buffalo and I'm about to have a son in August and I realllllllly hope he doesn't betray me and root against the Rangers and Giants! I've been up here for 10 years and have met an occasional Giants fan but I stand alone as a Rangers fan. I need some company!

Old
04-02-2012, 11:37 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
That's a great story about how you became a Sabres fan. It gives me hope! As I said, I'm a Rangers fan living in Buffalo and I'm about to have a son in August and I realllllllly hope he doesn't betray me and root against the Rangers and Giants! I've been up here for 10 years and have met an occasional Giants fan but I stand alone as a Rangers fan. I need some company!
UB Senior - Rangers fan AND Giants fan!, what's up!

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:13 PM
JeremyNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
UB Senior - Rangers fan AND Giants fan!, what's up!
If the Sabres squeeze into the playoffs, we might have to go to a game together. I've never had an issue at regular season games up here, but I'm not sure I'd wear my Rangers jersey to a playoff game alone!

Old
04-02-2012, 12:26 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

I'm a grad student at UB, also hoping the Sabres make the playoffs so I can go to a game.

I was excited to see Hodgeson play, too, but by all accounts hes been less than impressive.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
I will root for the Rangers to win any series they play unless it is against the Pens (will just enjoy the hockey as I like both teams a bit) or if you face the Hawks or Avs in the finals.

I'm not sure if this counts, but I'm posting here anyway.

LGR*

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post
I will root for the Rangers to win any series they play unless it is against the Pens (will just enjoy the hockey as I like both teams a bit) or if you face the Hawks or Avs in the finals.

LGR*
Oh it's you again. Rooting for the Pens now. Blasphemy.

Old
04-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Muh
Beadle

Quote:

Side note: guaranteed 837487346 people would think the playoff pool we created for postseason hockey is ****ing sick and would want in. Think we should put up a thread somewhere, but mandate that if anyone wants in, a roster would have to be mailed to you with buy-in? And do you remember the two rule tweaks we wanted to instill this year?
You are the only one to blame for the crappy showings you have in my pools.

Don't bring your loser mentality to our playoff run, thanks.

Muh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Kershaw

Makes me feel sad for lack of supporters.

Everyone is on the Philly/Boston/Pittsburgh bandwagon.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:49 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutdown Sutter View Post

LGR*
Shutdown Sutter won't admit it but he loves the Rangers. Loves the goal song, MSG, Henrik etc. Just too kitten to come out with it.

04-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Shutdown Sutter won't admit it but he loves the Rangers. Loves the goal song, MSG, Henrik etc. Just too kitten to come out with it.
Oh snap. Calling you out on it Sutter.

Old
04-02-2012, 06:12 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Chooo chooo. You should just stay aboard and save yourself a lot of trouble. At an average age of 25, the Rangers are good for long term!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Oh it's you again. Rooting for the Pens now. Blasphemy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I do like the Rangers. Love the goal song. Love MSG. I like Hank, but not as much as I like Cally or Step, and they're my preference to win the east.

Kitten Sutter.

Chicago Made Punk is offline   Reply With Quote