HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Ag. Signed: Matt Mangene (D/F, Maine - NCAA); Matt Konan (D, Medicine Hat - WHL)

Old
04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
So we picked up a very versatile guy?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Go For It

I think we found the next Sami Kapanen. (Flyers version, not Hurricanes)

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:24 PM
BringBackStevens

So does he project as a forward or D?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:30 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Good signing if it happens its like all undrafted college kids its hit and miss some turn out good some never turn out at all.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I like what the Flyers are doing by sniping these kids out of the NCAA. Read is the perfect example of this. We aren't losing anything by giving these kids a chance, worst case they don't pan out, best case they become viable players for this roster night in and out. Surprised other teams aren't catching onto this the amount that we have.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Here's additional info (from early March):

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/0...rfinal-series/
The scoresheets at College Hockey Stats confirm that, he played 2nd line right wing with Higgins and Anthoine for most of the season. Reminds me of Powe, fast, same build, similar stats, defensive minded...

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
The scoresheets at College Hockey Stats confirm that, he played 2nd line right wing with Higgins and Anthoine for most of the season. Reminds me of Powe, fast, same build, similar stats, defensive minded...
and to think some people thought you can replace what Powe brings.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:51 PM
Krishna

So..

If he makes the roster next year... We have Cooter.. and Mangina.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:58 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionofDoom627 View Post
I like what the Flyers are doing by sniping these kids out of the NCAA. Read is the perfect example of this. We aren't losing anything by giving these kids a chance, worst case they don't pan out, best case they become viable players for this roster night in and out. Surprised other teams aren't catching onto this the amount that we have.
Amen.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:22 PM
Trenton Romulox

As someone from Maine, I've seen a lot of Matt Mangene. He started out playing D and transitioned to forward, but he still plays a defensive game. He has improved dramatically each year, and has probably been the most improved Black Bear each season. His best assets are his speed and his work ethic. He's got a decent shot, pretty good playmaking ability, and he is a physical forward who can forecheck and back check with skill. We're gonna miss him in Orono. Of all the Black Bears, I think that Mangene has the best chance to find success at the NHL-level because he has shown great ability to adapt and to improve and has speed and effort that you just can't teach.

Trenton Romulox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

From @NHLFlyers
Quote:
#Flyers have signed future entry-level contracts with free agents: Matt Mangene (F/D - U. of Maine) & Matt Konan (D - Medicine Hat - WHL).

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Jaydepps

Send a message via AIM to Jaydepps
We've also signed Matt Konan, D, from Medicine Hat of the WHL. Stats are pretty impressive wiht 9 goals and 45 assists this season.

Proof:
https://twitter.com/#!/NHLFlyers/sta...15591167287296

Stats:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=107159

Jaydepps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton Romulox View Post
As someone from Maine, I've seen a lot of Matt Mangene. He started out playing D and transitioned to forward, but he still plays a defensive game. He has improved dramatically each year, and has probably been the most improved Black Bear each season. His best assets are his speed and his work ethic. He's got a decent shot, pretty good playmaking ability, and he is a physical forward who can forecheck and back check with skill. We're gonna miss him in Orono. Of all the Black Bears, I think that Mangene has the best chance to find success at the NHL-level because he has shown great ability to adapt and to improve and has speed and effort that you just can't teach.

Thanks for the info. Lets hope he does well here.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Nuclear

If both these players don't make the big club, are they eligible for the AHL? Or do they go back to their teams for another season?

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:54 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Solid signing in Konan. I expected to see him earn a contract.

He's a big solid blueliner. Won't wow you with any one individual skill, but he's well rounded, plays physical and doesn't make many mistakes.

Should be a safe AHL defender and one day he might have a shot at being a bottom pairing NHLer.

Had the chance to see him up close and personal in round 1 of the WHL playoffs recently as I was in between the benches for the series between the Blades and Tigers. Solid kid.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:56 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear View Post
If both these players don't make the big club, are they eligible for the AHL? Or do they go back to their teams for another season?
They can play in the AHL. Once a player hits 20 (or is turning 21 at the end of the year) they can not be drafted anymore, and are free to sign with a team and skip the last year of juniors.

Their about 100% going to play in either the AHL or ECHL.

Also Mangene is on an ATO and will finish the season with Phantoms.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Psuhockey

From Tiger Turf, a fan blog of medicine hat http://tigerturf.blogspot.com/ fwiw:

Philadelphia Flyers Twitter feed has reported that Overage Defenceman Matt Konan has signed an entry level deal with the philadelphia flyers.

https://twitter.com/#!/NHLFlyers/sta...15591167287296

Congratulations Matt Konan.

I thought Konan has been pretty underated throughout this season with the Tigers, and he kept getting better. His combination of size and mobility are a rare quality. Despite the Tigers getting James Bettauer and Bettauer leading the league in goals along the blueline, it was Matt Konan who developed the proficiency to quaterback the powerplay.

I remember making a couple quotes back in february saying
I think Konan still shows more potential than the average 20 yr old.If a good defensive coach was to work with him at the next level he could suprise us all."

This signing indicates the Flyers also saw that potential in him. I think the Flyers will be a good fit as It should teach him to add another level of toughness in his game.

Psuhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:57 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 588
Matthew Konan

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/670
  • Defence
  • Name: Matthew Konan
  • Number: 6
  • Position: Defence
  • Shoots/Catches: Left
  • Height 6'3"
  • Weight 190
  • Birthdate: 1991-09-03
  • Hometown: Tustin, CA

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The NCAA is our prospect pool.

04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Let me guess. Konan's nickname is "the Barbarian.." although he looks like "the O'Brian" somewhat....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:18 PM
Codith

Homer seems to have a keen eye on these types of guys, so I will give him the benefit of the doubt

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:37 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 588
From the Phantoms' Twitter:

Quote:
Matt Mangene from U of Maine will join the Phantoms on an amateur tryout contract. Welcome Matt!
http://myemail.constantcontact.com/M...id=R7gNpF6uC4o

Quote:
The Adirondack Phantoms have announced that University of Maine product Matt Mangene will join the team for the remainder of the 2011-12 season. Mangene signed an entry-level contract with the Philadelphia Flyers and comes to Glens Falls on an amateur tryout agreement (ATO).

The Manorville, NY native (on Long Island) completed his third season with the Black Bears and posted impressive numbers including 16 goals and 34 points in 40 games with 58 penalty minutes. It was a big breakout year for Mangene who only had four goals in his previous two years combined.

The righty shooter has played both defenseman and forward at Maine. The 23-year-old (3/12/1989) is 5'11" and 190 pounds. He joined the Flyers following the culmination of his junior season at Maine. The Black Bears season ended last week when they fell to Minnesota-Duluth in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.

Matt's grandfather, Robert "Red" Mangene, was a star halfback for the Boston College Golden Eagles and helped lead them to an Orange Bowl title in 1943 against Alabama. His sister, Meagan, has been to a couple of Frozen Fours with Boston College.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-02-2012 at 06:46 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Tiger Trauma

Always Nice to see my blog mentioned in the hf forums!!

I could write a book on Konan, but I'll keep it short.

Matt Konan is a tall lanky player with a long reach. He is pretty quick and mobile for his size. He likes to squish forwards along the boards. Makes a good first pass.

He much rather goes for the pokecheck along open ice, his long reach and speed allows him to do this, (sometimes he over-reaches which may need to be toned down) however he has done a lot better on that during the stretch run and playoffs.)

This year he greatly improved his defensive awareness and ability to quarterback a powerplay.

He logged a lot of ice in Medicine Hat. He is also pretty good at batting away loose rebounds. I was really suprised that no one gave him an nhl spring training invite this year. I think he will need to work a bit on his upper body strength.

Tiger Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Trauma View Post
Always Nice to see my blog mentioned in the hf forums!!

I could write a book on Konan, but I'll keep it short.

Matt Konan is a tall lanky player with a long reach. He is pretty quick and mobile for his size. He likes to squish forwards along the boards. Makes a good first pass.

He much rather goes for the pokecheck along open ice, his long reach and speed allows him to do this, (sometimes he over-reaches which may need to be toned down) however he has done a lot better on that during the stretch run and playoffs.)

This year he greatly improved his defensive awareness and ability to quarterback a powerplay.

He logged a lot of ice in Medicine Hat. He is also pretty good at batting away loose rebounds. I was really suprised that no one gave him an nhl spring training invite this year. I think he will need to work a bit on his upper body strength.
How tall would you say he is? Some say 6'2 while others on the higher end of 6'4. I know its only around 2 inches, but with lanky players that could help out (with more reach)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Tiger Trauma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
How tall would you say he is? Some say 6'2 while others on the higher end of 6'4. I know its only around 2 inches, but with lanky players that could help out (with more reach)
Before I saw your read your post I had looked up his height/weight up on the Tigers website and it said 6'3, and my first thought was that he was taller than that, but perhaps that is because of his lankyness.

Tiger Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote