HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

The crowd had Patrick Lauder's back last night.

Old
04-01-2012, 10:24 AM
Scottrocks58*
Six

vCash: 500
The crowd had Patrick Lauder's back last night.

Last night the batteries in Patty's microphone went dead. As soon as the croud realized that he was singing without the mic working, we sang for him. The crowd belted out the Anthem in Patty's key and the place sounded downright Canadian. It was great fun. I hadn't heard a crowd sing the Anthem like that since 9/11.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 10:57 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

It was amazing. I had goosebumps.

I always sing, but Patrick is usually loud enough to drown the crowd out. Last night when I realized the mic wasn't working, I sang louder. People started joining in and soon enough, it was a nice strong chorus.

Thankfully, he actually sings on a key that is perfect for me to hit all of the notes!

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Last night the batteries in Patty's microphone went dead. As soon as the croud realized that he was singing without the mic working, we sang for him. The crowd belted out the Anthem in Patty's key and the place sounded downright Canadian. It was great fun. I hadn't heard a crowd sing the Anthem like that since 9/11.
Never hear the anthem on FSN feeds, as far as I can remember, but good for the crowd in joining in and helping out!

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:25 AM
SweYote

Sounds awesome. On my TV I only get to listen to Matt McConnell rehearsing stats during the anthem.

SweYote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 11:26 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweYote View Post
Sounds awesome. On my TV I only get to listen to Matt McConnell rehearsing stats during the anthem.
I usually watch a different channel until about 10 minutes after top of the hour, or bottom, whenever the game was supposed to start. Pregame isn't my style.

Old
04-01-2012, 01:25 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

That was an incredible experience and I was happy to be one of the 16,000 singing. Clearly inspired Smitty in the 1st and Whitney, Vrby, etc in the 2nd. Great great energy in the crowd all night!

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:27 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

No disrespect to Patrick, but I kinda liked it better. Is this the birth of a new Coyotes tradition?

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 02:53 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 193
As we were singing it, I thought "this sounds pretty good."

GiveAFlyingPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I rarely sing along but last night I made an exception to help Patrick out and to join in what was a pretty cool moment!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
awfulwaffle

Dang I wish there was a Youtube of this! Seems like everyone always catches the people that mess up, but this just sounds like it was something out of his control?

Old
04-01-2012, 03:33 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Well, there is video of the second part of it:

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/03/...anthem/109114/

Old
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
As we were singing it, I thought "this sounds pretty good."
Well, you figure that you'll have most people being somewhat on the right note or pretty close. Then you'll have some outliers that are singing either too flat or too sharp, and a few that are just totally off-key. But those people will usually be drowned out by the rest, or maybe those people are self-aware enough to just mouth the words and not inflict themselves upon the crowd.

I used to play in an orchestra and was part of the AZ honor bands over several years. One year our director had the brilliant idea of having us sing for part of a song. We thought it was crazy, but once everyone got over the idea that they were instrumental musicians and would now be singing, somehow it ended up sounding pretty darn good.

Old
04-01-2012, 03:50 PM
ssmatik

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
No disrespect to Patrick, but I kinda liked it better. Is this the birth of a new Coyotes tradition?
I think it would be a great tradition. I was in the upper deck and could still hear Patrick's voice through the whole thing. Perhaps having his voice contained by the glass made it carry better? Anyway, goosebumps worthy for sure.

ssmatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:06 PM
RR

http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/03/31/video-fans-help-singer-with-national-anthem/109114/

Doesn't show the whole thing, but if you weren't there you'll get the idea. Amazing. When it was obvious there was a mic problem, it wasn't a few people that got it started and then everyone else jumped in. Everyone came in at the same time. And at that point they stopped trying to fix Patrick's mic. What a moment.

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 04:31 PM
AZviaNJ
@AZviaNJviaNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
was thinking the same exact thing......a great tradition it would be. It was obvious this energized both the crowd and Smitty last night.

AZviaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2012, 08:27 PM
kihekah19

It was good, hell even I sang... because it was Patrick.

I sure wouldn't expect it to become tradition in this town though.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 12:20 PM
DirtyOldMan
Yotes still in AZ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
http://ducks.ocregister.com/2012/03/31/video-fans-help-singer-with-national-anthem/109114/

Doesn't show the whole thing, but if you weren't there you'll get the idea. Amazing. When it was obvious there was a mic problem, it wasn't a few people that got it started and then everyone else jumped in. Everyone came in at the same time. And at that point they stopped trying to fix Patrick's mic. What a moment.
And he was very gracious acknowledging the crowd afterwards . In a way I'm glad it was him it happened to, as I'm sure some would have stomped off embarrassed or angry that it happened to them in their one chance to embellish the anthem...

DirtyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote