HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

April 9 & 10 lines and D posted: Grossmann (knee) and Briere (back) both practiced

Old
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
DUHockey9

vCash: 500
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with anything and thinks you are all being whiners? Just go out and hit them hard next game. It's hockey.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:10 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

This injury should open up a spot for Shelley on Saturday. Earn your paycheck Shelley.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:11 PM
flyersfan018

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStock View Post
I take it this kind of injury is pretty mild usually, no? No more than a week?
I had a contusion on my leg (around the ankle area) and it really just depends. My foot basically ballooned and I couldn't kick a soccer ball for a month. On the other hand, some people will be good to go in a week, maybe less. It just depends on the severity of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
WTF is an upper back contusion
Basically a big bruise.

flyersfan018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:19 PM
flyershockey

I really have no problem with the Vitale hit on Briere. Was it something that could have been avoided? Sure. But, neither of these teams are in the business of doing each other favors.

The Flyers do have to respond to this, and that doesn't include bringing in Shelley. He's useless and won't be able to catch anyone, let alone actually put a solid check on them. You respond by playing Crosby and Malkin physically. Whenever you get a shot to run them over (albeit cleanly), you take it. That will send enough a message to idiots like Vitale, not to run our skill guys. Now is not the time to lose your cool and do something stupid though. We can't afford to have a guy like Hartnell or Simmonds get suspended for multiple games because they took a shot at Crosby's head.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't have a problem with anything and thinks you are all being whiners? Just go out and hit them hard next game. It's hockey.
I'm with you, but Crosby's comments are bothersome considering how much crap he and Malkinget away with

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:27 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Idk...aside from the PA rivalry, think about the roots of the hatred towards the Pens...the crying, special-Sid treatment, etc...

Saying that, read above.

Had one of our "grinders" did the same, clean hit to one of their elite forwards in a lost game during the last minute, what kind of reprecussions would we face?
Honestly, if Rinaldo had decked say Kunitz (trying to think of someone on the Pens who could be their version of Brière...) with the exact same type of hit, I don't think he would have been facing any suspension afterwards. He might have been treated more harshly in-game (Vitale got two minutes unsportsmanlike conduct after the scrum) as he has his reputation. Afterwards though it would have been nothing. It's a clean hit.

I don't have any problem with the way the Flyers responded, it was a chippy game and Vitale had taken out Grossmann previously, nor have I any problem with what Laviolette's said after the game, but the hit was a a solid one and hopefully Brière will keep his head up in the future.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:28 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
You see, when a man and woman love each other very much...

I'm not really sure. A nasty bruise?
heh yeah I guess that's right

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:30 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
I'm with you. The mission for Sunday is to win home ice.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:31 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Honestly, if Rinaldo had decked say Kunitz (trying to think of someone on the Pens who could be their version of Brière...) with the exact same type of hit, I don't think he would have been facing any suspension afterwards. He might have been treated more harshly in-game (Vitale got two minutes unsportsmanlike conduct after the scrum) as he has his reputation. Afterwards though it would have been nothing. It's a clean hit.

I don't have any problem with the way the Flyers responded, it was a chippy game and Vitale had taken out Grossmann previously, nor have I any problem with what Laviolette's said after the game, but the hit was a a solid one and
PHP Code:
[B][B]hopefully Brière will keep his head up in the future[/B][/B
Word up!!

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

i think Briere has a concussion

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Keaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan018 View Post
I had a contusion on my leg (around the ankle area) and it really just depends. My foot basically ballooned and I couldn't kick a soccer ball for a month. On the other hand, some people will be good to go in a week, maybe less. It just depends on the severity of it.

Basically a big bruise.
Yeah but professional athletes also receive injections and drugs from team doctors to reduce swelling so contusions are extremely minor.

Keaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:38 PM
flyershockey

If you watch the video from after the hit, it clearly looks like Danny got the wind knocked out of him. I would be more worried that they're trying to hide bruised ribs or a bruised lung.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:38 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Home ice could be on the line sat so we should be concerned with that then if we can put some hurt on the pens then do so not just go out there and run around trying to kill someone.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Kaktus*

Sucks.. Grossmann and Briere are out.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:50 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 989
From Sam @ Inq.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...145798955.html

Quote:
It turns out center Danny Briere and defenseman Nick Grossmann were injured more seriously than the Flyers first believed.

Both will miss games this week but are expected to be ready for the playoffs.

Both were injured in collisions with Pittsburgh's Joe Vitale in the Flyers' 6-4 win on Sunday.

After Sunday's game, the Flyers said Briere was "fine" and that Grossmann was day-to-day with an apparent knee injury.

On Monday, they said Grossmann would miss seven to 10 days, That means he is out for the regular season, which ends Saturday. GM Paul Holmgren said Briere was out indefinitely with an upper-back contusion.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:50 PM
FlyersMania2

Maybe Mike Milbury isn't so bad after all...lol

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...off-his-skirt/

Quote:
Former NHL head coach and current “NHL on NBC” analyst Mike Milbury was thrilled at the series of events that ended the game. “I loved every minute of it. I loved especially the last five minutes of it, and it was great TV. And who knew that Jaromir Jagr in his old age was going to become poetic?” Milbury joined 94WIP’s Angelo Cataldio and The Morning Team on Monday to talk about the bad blood between the two teams.

“It’s not totally uncommon,” Milbury said of Laviolette’s behavior at the end of the game. “I can remember being on such a perch, or at least trying to climb over the boards to get at somebody to make a point. And I thought Dan Bylsma should have taken off his skirt and gone over there,” he said.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-02-2012 at 03:55 PM.
FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:53 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
If you watch the video from after the hit, it clearly looks like Danny got the wind knocked out of him. I would be more worried that they're trying to hide bruised ribs or a bruised lung.
Really?

While we're at it, let's keep Briere out of the ice bath, because for all we know he may die.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:56 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
This is good to hear.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:57 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Briere had me scared with the "indefinitely" more than Grossman because Grossman had a timeline. Since It seems Briere will likely be back, I feel a lot better about it now.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:01 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

we are far worse off in a series against the pens without these two. hope they're back and ready to go.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:07 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
I don't have any problem with the way the Flyers responded, it was a chippy game and Vitale had taken out Grossmann previously, nor have I any problem with what Laviolette's said after the game, but the hit was a a solid one and hopefully Brière will keep his head up in the future.
Exactly. I have no problem with the way anybody on either side handled anything. The Flyers did their job by responding in the fashion they did after a big clean hit on their player on what is essentially Game 1 of this playoff series. They had to try to set the tone then and there, which is the same thing the Pens were doing.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:07 PM
TheLegendkiller

Well Briere's been useless so....

But yeah this Saturday I say blood for blood. Up the intensity even higher. Or at least make Vitale fight somebody.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:09 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Yep it's hockey. We just lost our top defensive defender and our top playoff performer, one of them because the other teams coach got mad at us.

Im guessing you would be alright if on Saturday if we are losing, we throw Rinaldo out there to get some people hurt? Obviously it would have to be before the 1 minute mark though.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Grave77digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
In the end I put this on both coaches. I can't put it on Vitale, I thought it was a clean hit. In the end, it was a dirty move of Bylsma (probably misspelled that) to put enforcers against our stars, but at the same time, Laviolette is a dumb*** for putting stars out in the last minute of a clearly over game that is incredibly tense. In the end both sides are to blame.

If you flipped the way this happened, like someone said, Rinaldo on Crosby, I'd expect Bylsma to act the same way as Lavy did, and don't really have a problem with that.

Definitely agree that there's a lot of whining going on here when both sides are clearly to blame in their own ways.
Im not here to make waves. BUT Vitale is as much a goon as Briere is a star. The Pens give and take like every other team. Honestly I play hockey to the whistle and I dont get paid for it. Much ado about nothing.

Last edited by SnS: 04-02-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:15 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yep it's hockey. We just lost our top defensive defender and our top playoff performer, one of them because the other teams coach got mad at us.

Im guessing you would be alright if on Saturday if we are losing, we throw Rinaldo out there to get some people hurt? Obviously it would have to be before the 1 minute mark though.
Except you're jumping to conclusions.

Bylsma told Vitale to go knee Grossmann in the 1st (I think?) period?

I can't stand the reaction coaches get for putting out their 4th line at the end of a game. It's damned if you do, damned if you don't. Your options are, put out your good players in a game you've already lost, and risk they get hurt (this is what Laviolette did), or put out your crappy players and be perceived (key word is "perceived") as "gooning it up". I take the latter 100% of the time.

Stop assuming that we're playing the New Orleans Saints and there are bounties. Lavi should have played it safe and put Rinaldo etc out there. Not because he's trying to hurt anybody, but simply because, the Briere's of the world shouldn't be risking injury in a game you already won.