HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Tired of it

Old
04-02-2012, 12:57 PM
cju1979
Radulov Convert

vCash: 500
Tired of it

Every game Hornqvist gets his block knocked off 37 times and hardly ever does anyone come in and stick up for him. Yeah, yeah...Gaustad kinda did...just like he's kinda winning face offs and kinda not on any scoring sheet. Can we please get Yip and McGrattan out there tearing someone a new arse?

Saturday night was ridiculous and it's pretty obvious we are getting the shaft when it comes to penalties...just wait to the playoffs when or PK gets more ice time than anyone else. Our market needs to stand up, be noticed and give the league the finger.

Is Doug Glatt available?

cju1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Greg1420

Horny asks for it.
I like it.
I think it gets him goals and the team goals and draws some penalties.
But you can't stand up for that stuff all the time. Like I said, he asks for it.
He asks for it by CONSTANTLY running that mouth and taking little cheap shots at keepers. I like it and glad he plays for us and not against us or I'd loathe him

Greg1420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Horns gets away with alot himself. Although he's been getting roughed up alot recently, he knows what the price is for crowding the crease, and he does it willingly. He's a warrior out there.

Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I'll agree that he knows what he's getting into down there, but I think sometimes a line is crossed and never gets called. It's like the league has informed all refs that Hornqvist is fair game at all times and to ignore anything done to him.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

While I understand the "he brings it upon himself" argument because of how he runs his mouth, I don't think that excuses it all. There are times when players cross the line into obviously breaking rules (roughing, cross checking). Even if what Hornqvist does or says breaks the unsportsmanlike conduct rule that shouldn't excuse other players who also violate rules. Call Hornqvist on his, and then call whoever else on their's.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:21 PM
glenngineer

I have no problem either way if something happens at the end of a play or right after the whistle blows. What I do have issue with is the play is long dead and someone lays into from the blindside. Steen did this at the end of the Blues game the other night. Shattenkirk has already been called for a penalty, Hornqvist is on his knees, play is dead and Steen comes in a gives him a cross check in the back. That is where another penalty should have been called but the refs in the NHL rarely if ever call a second penalty once the initial infraction has been called.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:28 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

If you want to get someone's strong opinion about this, call in and talk to Terry Crisp on the radio one day and ask him about it.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:29 PM
NoNecksCurse

holmstrom is a very similar player and never gets meleed, penalized, ect.. I think he is abused past the point of expected

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

The punishment to Hornqvist seems way too excessive, and players know they won't get called or they wouldn't do it. At least once a game there's a huge scrum involving like 8 players that all started because someone crossed the line in attacking Horny with no call.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:37 PM
glenngineer

There was an incident I believe in the Hawks game the other night where Fisher came in and took out Seabrook because of the unnecessary hits he was giving out. A few seconds of play later there was another scrum and Fisher pulled on Horny to get him out of there. It goes both ways and while I agree Horny takes way too much abuse, he does bring it on himself a lot of the time. Notice how he swats at goalies and that's what gets him abused much of the time. If you swing at a goalie, even if it's a tap, teams will be allowed to take care of business.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:41 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Yeah I noticed Fisher came over and took Horny away from it once on Saturday. And yes a lot of times he swats on goalies which opens him up to getting jumped, but not always. It's the times that he doesn't really do anything that baffles me.

Old
04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Horns is the boy who cried wolf. It's hard to distinguish when he really needs help or deserves to beat up. If we stuck up for him every time we'd be in the box ALOT. But they do gotta stick up for him a little more.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
While I understand the "he brings it upon himself" argument because of how he runs his mouth, I don't think that excuses it all. There are times when players cross the line into obviously breaking rules (roughing, cross checking). Even if what Hornqvist does or says breaks the unsportsmanlike conduct rule that shouldn't excuse other players who also violate rules. Call Hornqvist on his, and then call whoever else on their's.
AMEN. AMEN. AMEN. AMEN. Horns gets taken advantage of more because of his size in relations to holmstrom's, no doubt. I'm still shocked that putting someone's arm around a person's throat (which seems to be the most attacks against Horns) is allowed as much as it is by the zebras. Around the other goal crease, Peks is having to protect himself waaaaaay to much (although he is VERY good at doing it- you do NOT want to make him mad, from what I've seen).

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:58 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I think refs allow the game to get out of control in small ways. Have some insight as I watched a lot of local hockey and my son did some officiating for a while.

We all know Horny is effective because he is willing to go to the blue ice and get in the goalie's grill. SO a certain amount of retaliation is forthcoming. When guys begin crossing the line on either side, zebras have to hand out some sin bin time, or the retaliations escalate. We don't get to hear any warnings given out or discussions with the refs. But the good ones sense when it has gone too far and start the parade. I think we have lost some good officials in the last few years and don't have enough experienced good ones on the ice. NHL needs to address this, and start penalizing the ones that are ineffective harder, IMHO.

darth5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Been saying this all season.

He's paying a price but has not been rewarded with power plays.

I know we can't go in and stick up for him every time but when it's 3-on-1 or something, at least go out there and man up on everybody. You don't have to go in swinging but just tie a man up.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
FlashyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
holmstrom is a very similar player and never gets meleed, penalized, ect.. I think he is abused past the point of expected
Maybe I misunderstood you here, but are you saying Holmstrom doesn't take abuse or get penalized for his net front play?

If so, I have to disagree completely.

If anyone understands EXACTLY what you guys are frustrated with its Wings fans, only in the rarest of circumstances does a penalty get called for the abuse Homer takes in front of the net. Its so bad that he wears extra padding on his back and shoulders to protect from defenders stickwork.

Hornqvist plays a similar game and is likely to face a lot of the same treatment, just wait until goals start getting called back because the opposing goalie complains, or when he gets a penalty for interference for being thrown onto a goalie by a defender.

Holmstrom likely has had more goalie interference penalties and been responsible for more called back goals than anyone in the history of the game.

This is one thing that both the Wings and Predators have in common.

FlashyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 05:44 PM
Legionnaire11

some pushing, shoving and facewashing is definitely warranted. But when you've got three opponents cross-shecking, elbowing and kneeing Hornqvist when he's on the ice... that's what needs to be addressed. And I do not understand how the one time Gaustad tries to stand up for him, Goose is the one (and only one) who gets a penalty????

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
predwings

Yea they were really hard on him vs the Hawks, he had no helmet and was getting a stick to the back of the head...with all these concussion issues I would've thought the refs would call that one.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashyG View Post
Maybe I misunderstood you here, but are you saying Holmstrom doesn't take abuse or get penalized for his net front play?

If so, I have to disagree completely.

If anyone understands EXACTLY what you guys are frustrated with its Wings fans, only in the rarest of circumstances does a penalty get called for the abuse Homer takes in front of the net. Its so bad that he wears extra padding on his back and shoulders to protect from defenders stickwork.

Hornqvist plays a similar game and is likely to face a lot of the same treatment, just wait until goals start getting called back because the opposing goalie complains, or when he gets a penalty for interference for being thrown onto a goalie by a defender.

Holmstrom likely has had more goalie interference penalties and been responsible for more called back goals than anyone in the history of the game.

This is one thing that both the Wings and Predators have in common.
Holmstrom definitely takes a bunch of abuse. These two players are very similar in style, but I think (but do not know for sure) Hornqvist runs his mouth A LOT more. That doesn't help him one bit.

We also have experience with incredibly stupid no-goal calls. Not long ago against Edmonton a good goal was waved off because Dubnyk made contact with Hornqvist, who was outside of the crease. Dubs came out to be aggressive with Hornqvist, bumps into him, and the ref immediately waved off the goal that Dubs was too busy pretending to be Tim Thomas to notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
some pushing, shoving and facewashing is definitely warranted. But when you've got three opponents cross-shecking, elbowing and kneeing Hornqvist when he's on the ice... that's what needs to be addressed. And I do not understand how the one time Gaustad tries to stand up for him, Goose is the one (and only one) who gets a penalty????

I agree completely. The scrums I can live with. Face washes are part of hockey, and everyone dishes them out. When a player has been knocked to the ice, and is then literally dragged by his jersey across the ice by two players there should be a call. When violent cross checks from behind send a player into the boards there should be a call. Roughing should be called when blatant punches to the head are being dished out, yet even something as cut and dry as that is hit or miss.

ThirdManIn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 07:24 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

I agree that he asks for it a lot of time, and hacks at the puck until the echo of the whistle. But sometimes, he's just standing there, not touching the goalie, and he'll get decked. But I think if someone sends a message out there, it will eventually stop. If the referees don't do anything, someone has to stick up for their team mate when Hornqvist isn't asking for it.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:52 PM
kakemono

He gets what he asks for...

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:46 PM
cleangene

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
He gets what he asks for...
If that's the case, bertuzzi should be in a hospital bed.

cleangene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:35 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Horns gets away with alot himself. Although he's been getting roughed up alot recently, he knows what the price is for crowding the crease, and he does it willingly. He's a warrior out there.

this.

for how many times horny messes with the bee's nest, he takes it like a champ. he knows what he is doing.
If your girlfriend kept cheating on you would you keep taking her back? not the best analogy but do you see the point? if my teammate every game was getting into scrums, then i know he can take care of himself.
Now if a teammate who doesnt play a gritty hornqvist style and plays "clean" and happens to get cheap shotted/fash washed/etc, then yeah anyone on the ice should stick up for that player.

Point is horny does it too much to require back up, everyone once in a while, sure he needs it, but 99% he deserves it. When franzen/holsmstrom crash our net and reek hornqvist style havoc dont you want them to get punished? but it doesnt always happen. Whens the last time weber answered the bell? long time, eh?

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:38 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
If that's the case, bertuzzi should be in a hospital bed.
well, bertzi shouldn't even be in the league, first off.

second off yeah hornqvist should get f'd with if he is jamming his stick into other teams goalies chest/pads/etc. we dont let teams do that to rinne, why would the let us do that to them? he definitely ask for retaliation.....

CantbeatzPekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 05:17 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I just want it to be consistent. If there are no penalties being handed out when players are protecting their goalie from Hornqvist, then I don't want to see Predator players getting penalties from protecting Rinne. Or if Horny is going to get called for interference, then call it when Rinne gets run.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote