HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Ryder or not?

View Poll Results: Would you be ready to trade Ryder?
Yes 28 19.86%
No 97 68.79%
Not Sure 16 11.35%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
02-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Jedrik

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I was gonna post something along those lines but I'll just quote this for emphasis instead.

Everyone wants to upgrade their players, but why would a GM give a better player then Ryder for him?
I like Ryder anyways, he still has a lot of untapped potential and he's been scoring well despite underperforming.
I think a statement like this assumes that every organization values every player (whether its own or otherwise) in the exact same way--from what we know of the draft alone this is simply not the case. If some other GM's scouting staff has a higher opinion of one of my player's than my own, I going to do my best to rip him off (providing I somehow knew this, of course).

Old
02-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan
Some might say I'm crazy but anyway...

I like Michael Ryder. He's good, cheap and young. He's also our "best" sniper right now. Normaly, Kovalev should be in front of him but that's another story.

In 56 games, Ryder has 23 goals( 11 ESG and 12 PP ) and 13 assists...good for 36 points. He's in a slump right now so it's hard to predict how many goals he will end the season with...

We all know that Ryder's main asset is his shot. He has a hard accurate wrist shot with a fast release. He's also strong and he can easily play physical. Has great hands and sometimes, he can pull a nice deke to get to the net.

But he's also not the fastest skater around. He's far from slow...I guess he's an average skater after all. He can pass the puck but he's far from a playmaker...he's also pretty bad defensively and he cost us a couple of game this year.

Bottom line, I see Ryder as a great PP guy who will score many goals without helping the team as much as other players. IMO, he will not become better than he is right now. He will be a constant 30 goals scorer who will mainly help you on the PP.

And we have many young players who might have a big impact with us pretty soon. I wouldn't be worried to lose Ryder for another top 6 foward...

That's why I would be ready to trade him for the right return. We are not in a hurry to dump him for sure because he's one of our good player. But if we can package him with another player, a prospect or a pick to land a better player who isn't old and who would give more to our team, maybe we should do it. I don't have any names but there's probably some interesting players available around the league.

So, would you be ready to trade Ryder?

We'd have to be completely insane to trade our best young player. Out of him, Ribeiro, Zednik, and all of the other youngsters, Ryder is the best BY FAR!!!!!!! He is a scorer and a good player. He is the only one out of the bunch that consistantly puts up decent numbers.
Don't even consider trading him...unless it is in a trade that involves Kovalchuk!!!!!

Old
02-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
i know but you said you would rather let go Ribs and Zed before Ryder witch is just an obvious judgement cause they both suck and i just want these guys out NOW. What is so optomistic about Perezhogin and Kostytsin that makes better or more sure prospects then a Higgins or Guillaume Latendresse
I just personally feel making some sort of lateral moves with Zednik or Ribeiro is better than taking bigger gamble with more valuable Ryder.

Timing is what makes Perezhogin and Plekanec more certain top 6 players than Kostitsyn jr or Latendresse, from management pov, is they have about half a season under their belts (to lesser extent same with Kostitsyn sr). Those two dont even have AHL experience yet.

Higgins... to me he is a slightly different case. I'm just not convinced he belongs to scoring line in the long run, if we want better team with offensive punch. Will make smart 3rd line checker though, which is equally important when game is played like this.

Old
02-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman2
I just personally feel making some sort of lateral moves with Zednik or Ribeiro is better than taking bigger gamble with more valuable Ryder.

Timing is what makes Perezhogin and Plekanec more certain top 6 players than Kostitsyn jr or Latendresse, from management pov, is they have about half a season under their belts (to lesser extent same with Kostitsyn sr). Those two dont even have AHL experience yet.

Higgins... to me he is a slightly different case. I'm just not convinced he belongs to scoring line in the long run, if we want better team with offensive punch. Will make smart 3rd line checker though, which is equally important when game is played like this.
i know what you mean but do Zednick and Ribs have enough value to make any kind of difference on the return we could get for them? trading Ryder in a package for impact player like Jokinen, Bertuzzi( well mevermind him cause really don't like him) or Doan imo is something i would do

2nd. Perezhogin has 6 goals this year and Pleckanek has 20 points, i fully expect Latendresse to produce alot more in his first season, by your reasoning Crosby wasn't top 6 material last year cause he hadn't play a game yet, Higgins is the sort of player who will produce as much as the guy who's next to him, he could have 50 goals in a season playing with Forsberg and 5 playing with Bonk, i'm not saying he's a Dagenais or anything but he's a great position player and he'l do what he has to do, whoever he has to play with...

Old
02-24-2006, 09:23 PM
eddy

I'd keep him unless we got a really great return. He's young and has had 20 goal seasons in his first 2 years, not bad. I'd say a great 2nd liner for us for years to come but if the deal is good enough I wouldn't mind doing it, he's certainly not untouchable.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:55 PM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny5
WoW!!! I really think that some posters on here spend half their lifetime trying to come up with something to start a thread. Doesn't have to make sense, just need to start a thread. Ryder is expendable!! Ryder has cost us a couple of games!!! Ryder is overated!!! Ryder is a defensive liability!! and ya-da, ya-da, ya-da!!!
Sure he may have made mistakes and cost a game, maybe he did not backcheck enough, maybe he is good trade bait, maybe he is overated. But isn't that describing every hockey player at one time or another? This is a game of mistakes and player liabilities, if not they would all be perfect games with no winner.
I will make one statement, take Ryder's salary, divide it by his point total, then take Kovalev's or Koivu's salary and divide it by their point totals. Compare cost per point for the team for each player. We all surely agree that neither Koivu or Kovalev are nowhere near where they have been rated either. Overated, what hockey player is not at one time or another in their career?
As for trading Ryder because we now have Pleknac, Perezhogin, Kostsitsyn, etc., wait until they have proven themselves for two consecutive years with 25 or more goals each year, then we will talk!!

Yeah, I agree with you regarding how some posters, who are obviously immature and dont have much of a life outside of hockey, just want to make sensless threads.

Old
02-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy
I'd keep him unless we got a really great return. He's young and has had 20 goal seasons in his first 2 years, not bad. I'd say a great 2nd liner for us for years to come but if the deal is good enough I wouldn't mind doing it, he's certainly not untouchable.
I see it the same way. If dealing him helps the team in areas of need, go for it, otherwise you're giving up a guy whose got back to back 20 goal seasons in first 2 years in the league.

Old
02-25-2006, 12:15 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynasty
Yeah, I agree with you regarding how some posters, who are obviously immature and dont have much of a life outside of hockey, just want to make sensless threads.
Why would we have to wait for a Michael Ryder trade rumor to start a thread about him? The thread don't say dump Ryder...we talk about the possibility of trading him. Some poster dime Ryder as an untouchable player so that's one of the reason why I start this thread...

And where's the "immature" and "no life outside hockey" come from...want to talk about sensless thread, well fine...let's talk about sensless comments...

Old
02-25-2006, 05:27 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great!
i know what you mean but do Zednick and Ribs have enough value to make any kind of difference on the return we could get for them? trading Ryder in a package for impact player like Jokinen, Bertuzzi( well mevermind him cause really don't like him) or Doan imo is something i would do

2nd. Perezhogin has 6 goals this year and Pleckanek has 20 points, i fully expect Latendresse to produce alot more in his first season, by your reasoning Crosby wasn't top 6 material last year cause he hadn't play a game yet, Higgins is the sort of player who will produce as much as the guy who's next to him, he could have 50 goals in a season playing with Forsberg and 5 playing with Bonk, i'm not saying he's a Dagenais or anything but he's a great position player and he'l do what he has to do, whoever he has to play with...
I would not be expecting big returns for Zednik or Ribeiro - the idea is to shuffle my cards by making a lateral move. Dealing either of those two away does not cut away anything significant from this team - while trading our leading goalscorer by far Ryder (and more) is hurting us where we arent that strong in the first place - it just compounds our offensive problems longterm.

Heres a question for you:

Who did Penguins trade away to make room for Crosby? Answer is, nobody. That team was, and still is, in completely different position than our favourite team.

Latendresse (45th choise overall) has very little to with 1st overall Crosby. Common sense dictates player taken later will need more time especially in front of demanding Montreal fans. Infact I'm not even sure if they would have brought Crosby to play with Habs big team. Latendresse is no exception, his developent already caught rut - and hes only playing junior hockey.

My bottom line will be: going with naive optimisms, Higgins becoming next Gagne or Latendresse making team full time next season, is not a sensible way to manage your team.

Old
02-25-2006, 08:03 AM
wedge

I never say no.. who knows what could be offered for him... With something great in return, I'd be willing to listen. But I see no reason to trade him in particular.

Old
02-25-2006, 01:18 PM
MXD

The Habs actually have problems scoring goals, so I don't know why trading your best sniper for a guy that's actually 5-6 years older who NEVER scored more goals in 7-8 years than Ryder will have scored on his second year is going to get the Habs more advanced in this department...

Old
02-25-2006, 02:58 PM
impudent_lowlife

Ryder's on pace for about 35 goals this year - not bad for a 2nd line winger - especially on a team that has problems scoring goals. Ryder's cons (mainly defense) can be taught, but his pros (wicked shot & ability to find the open ice) cannot. He's a keeper for the time being.

Closed Thread